Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "safety"

RockThatBlue

According to the rule when the ball is released from lucks hand in order for it to be a safety the ball has to still be breaking the plain once it is released. Looked like a bad call to me after seeing a slow mo replay. The ball was not in the endzone. It was intentional grounding though.

Thats what I thought I saw.

Yeah unfortunately luck didn't see boom in time but he was right there and luck could have just flicked the ball to him.

Yeah, I'm not upset about the call. I'm upset that Luck didn't roll out of the end zone or, better yet, flick it to Boom. Either one of those choices would have avoided the safety.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 27, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, October 27, 2014 - personal shot

He also could have done a backwards somersault then gotten up and ran for a 100 yd td. Most of you criticizing Luck's decision in this situation probably take more than a couple of minutes deciding between a big Mac or a quarter pounder when in line at McDonald's.

He also could have done a backwards somersault then gotten up and ran for a 100 yd td. Most of you criticizing Luck's decision in this situation probably take more than a couple of minutes deciding between a big Mac or a quarter pounder when in line at McDonald's.

there is huge difference in saying he could have crawled back to the one yard line to avoid a safety or dumped the ball at Booms feet who was right in front of him and saying what you said. Also, you don't have to be as good as Andrew Luck is at football to see other things he could have done. If that were the case only a guy like Peyton Manning could coach him. Lastly, pointing out other things Luck could have done on a play that had a major impact on the game is hardly criticizing him. It was a bad play, I am sure once he sees the film even Luck would tell you that, no one is calling for Lucks head over it.

Intentional grounding wasn't a safety in my book as the ball had gone before it crossed the plain.  

It was a game changer which was a shame, much like offside penalty when they have to kick a field goal and the pick 6 of course. 

Key moments which cost us.  I actually thought we where going to come back form this one

It was one of those thigns that I'm not prepared to blame anyone for, not even the refs. 

He tripped over his linemans foot, something that happens to the best of them. Luck panicked a bit, and seemingly forgot he could just get the ball out of the endzone, thinking because his butt was in the endzone, it would be a safety if he got touched. 

Technically, it SHOULD have been an incomplete pass. Not only was the ball released entirely out of the the endzone, but I do believe the ball was tipped, making the balls final resting place in relation to the nearest receiver negligible. Does anyone who DVR'd it know if the ball was indeed tipped? Or did it hit an Olineman and not a defender? 

It was one of those thigns that I'm not prepared to blame anyone for, not even the refs. 

He tripped over his linemans foot, something that happens to the best of them. Luck panicked a bit, and seemingly forgot he could just get the ball out of the endzone, thinking because his butt was in the endzone, it would be a safety if he got touched. 

Technically, it SHOULD have been an incomplete pass. Not only was the ball released entirely out of the the endzone, but I do believe the ball was tipped, making the balls final resting place in relation to the nearest receiver negligible. Does anyone who DVR'd it know if the ball was indeed tipped? Or did it hit an Olineman and not a defender? 

I didn't see the ball get tipped.  I'm pretty sure no matter how you slice it that was a intentional grounding penalty.  There where probably a couple ways out of it, but in the heat of the moment I don't think Luck had the time to consider all his options.

Perhaps the best way would have been to spike the ball near Boom's feet.  

As long as boom is in front of Luck it's a forward pass and since the ball landed near him it wouldn't be intentional grounding.  

I didn't see the ball get tipped.  I'm pretty sure no matter how you slice it that was a intentional grounding penalty.  There where probably a couple ways out of it, but in the heat of the moment I don't think Luck had the time to consider all his options.

Perhaps the best way would have been to spike the ball near Boom's feet.  

As long as boom is in front of Luck it's a forward pass and since the ball landed near him it wouldn't be intentional grounding.  

Sad thing is, at that point, we were only down by 8 points with some 9 minutes left. What happened there should provide some relief for Cotls fans, as that series of plays showed, sometimes, you cannot catch a break and every little piece of minutia went against us. We get a score stopping fumble recovery, and it actually hurt us, because not only did Pitt get 2 points, they got the ball back and scored again. 

Everything went wrong, and that's the randomness of the game aligning perfectly against us. There are genuine worries, but if our coaching staff is half as good as we think they are, they'll figure out how to prevent such a thing form happening again. 

Sad thing is, at that point, we were only down by 8 points with some 9 minutes left. What happened there should provide some relief for Cotls fans, as that series of plays showed, sometimes, you cannot catch a break and every little piece of minutia went against us. We get a score stopping fumble recovery, and it actually hurt us, because not only did Pitt get 2 points, they got the ball back and scored again. 

Everything went wrong, and that's the randomness of the game aligning perfectly against us. There are genuine worries, but if your coaching staff is half as good as we think they are, they'll figure out how to prevent such a thing form happening again. 

I think everyone is happy with the way the offense performed as a whole.  The big concern is however that we just couldn't get any pressure on Ben.  Very few of their drives didn't end in a TD.  

It was a horrible call. The replay clearly showed his hand was across the goal line when he released the ball. I'm not sure what replay is for if they can't even be conclusive about that.

seems like we dont know the rules well alot of people but am sure i heard mike carey say aslong as he releases the ball out the endzone its not a safety

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000419582/article/blandino-correct-calls-on-steve-smith-andrew-luck

"This was an obvious call," Blandino said. "He has to get the ball in an area where there's an eligible receiver. And when we talk about whether this is a safety or not, you can see his body is in the end zone, and the key is, in order for it not to be a safety, his entire body and the ball must be in the field of play when the ball is released. So this is intentional grounding. It is a safety."

The ball landed at the 7-8 yard line when it hit the ground....Nicks was standing on the 20, Lucks butt was the first part of his body to hit the ground...at that time the ball was NOT in the end zone...... his momentum continued to carry him onto his back at which time the ball was in the end zone where he cocked the ball back to throw....Safety.....Side note: Thorntons stance n that play made it predictable where he was going on that play

The outcome of the game did not come down to this one play. Luck and the offense were put in a bad situation by very poor defense. You let any QB throw for over 500 yards and 6 TDs the Colts were lucky even to have been in the game. Why even discuss one bad play the offense made when their backs were against the wall the whole game. We gave up 28 points in one quarter. For those who point a finger at Luck and saying what he could have or should have done is just plain nit picking. Without Luck it would have been one of the worst beat downs this team has ever taken.

It was the right call. 

The ball was no where near Nicks.

Assuming the ball was out of the endzone when he threw it (which it was a difficult call, so I'm okay with the play standing) when they called intentional grounding, then it should have been placed on the 1 inch line.  But like I said, I still agree it was the right call.