Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts contacted for Harvin trade

mattceinicram

They tried to trade for Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron. So my guess is they wanted Dwayne Allen + some late round pick.

I was thinking the same thing.  They were probably targeting one of our TEs. 

People are saying we avoided a mistake with Harvin, but that makes it seem like we actually entertained the thought of a trade.  It's very possible that Grigson disagreed completely and trade talks ended before anything substantial came from them

Interesting.

I'm not quite sure what we would have used him for or what the Seahawks wanted, I don't think the conversation lasted very long though.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000412781/article/browns-broncos-targeted-by-seahawks-in-harvin-deal

I would think it just means they may have made a phone call. Probably if true only because Grigson is known to make deals. I say this as the reality is it would be a crazy move for Indy. We have TY , plus plenty of other weapons , so the big need for Harvin. Plus Indy has some pretty big contracts on the horizon , spending 10 mill per year on Harvin would make zero sense. The other players mentioned in trades were in their contract years , trading 2 years of a "cheap Allen ' would never happen. So IMO .. not a good fit and I doubt it was anything more than a call from the Seattle GM.

They tried to trade for Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron. So my guess is they wanted Dwayne Allen + some late round pick.

The Seahawks are the * who offers everyone two crappy players for their best player in fantasy. Trying to shop a bad attitude guy with a bad contract and no production for elite TEs on rookie contracts.. gtho Seattle

Hopefully the phone call went like this:

(phone rings)

Irsay:  Hello Jim's tacos!  Just kidding it's Jim Irsay what's going on?  WHAT YOU WANT TO TRADE US HARVIN!  Hold on!

where's my phone gotta tweet, gotta tweet!

(Grigson walks in)

Grigson:  Jim, are you tweeting about Whoopers and trades again?

Irsay:  Maybe...

Grigson:  Jim give me the phone.

(Irsay hands over the phone)

Grigson:  Sorry about that, what's up?  HA HA HA you want to know if we are interested in Harvin?  HA HA HA, that's a good one!  Hey Chuck, the Seahawks want to know if we are interested in Harvin!

Irsay:  So I should delete the tweet about us exploring trades?

Is this dude even semi-reliable? He looks/sounds like a nobody.

I'm unsure myself about how credible he is, but I've never seen anyone call him a fake and have seen a few credible Colts media retweet his stuff before, I can't personally endorse him but I can't call him a fake either

#Colts My sources say Irsay wanted a splash when he returned, Grigson and Pagano asserted themselves.

— Dan Graham (@coltsinsider)

October 20, 2014

HMMMMM

As much as I think Fleener is somewhat expendable I'm glad we didn't take that.  Harvin is overrated.  

He's like Patterson.  You can do some things with him and he's scary because of his speed, but he's not a true receiver, he's not out there making a lot of receptions.  Nor is he a true RB.  He's just a guy who's got speed and is somewhat scary.

The only thing he's really good at is Jet Sweep but everyone knows he's good at Jet Sweep so they are ready for it.

We already had a guy like that.  His name was Darrius Heyward Bey.

You have to design plays around Harvin, either to get him the ball or use him to distract the defense.  You just can't fit him into your normal offense.

Add that to the fact that Harvin has a gigantic contract we'd have to take onto our cap, get's injured constantly and that he causes problems in the lockeroom.  I'd rather have Fleener.  Honestly I'm not sure I would want Harvin if he was a Free Agent and we could sign him for the vet min.  He's that overrated IMO.

Edit: I heard the Colts where contacted on NFL network as well, so I believe this information to be accurate.  They didn't specify Harvin for Fleener but they also said something about the Seahawks wanting a TE so it didn't take much for me to add 2 and 2.

#Colts My sources say Irsay wanted a splash when he returned, Grigson and Pagano asserted themselves.

— Dan Graham (@coltsinsider)

October 20, 2014

HMMMMM

Hmmm...Irsay wanted a splash when he returned but Grigson and Pagano asserted themselves.

Now, we know who was pushing for the TRich trade (I am pretty certain there was pressure from Irsay to make something happen) and now Grigson and Pagano have more gumption to stand up to him in the name of a good football decision, something they did not do a year ago.