Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Curious Case of Khaled Holmes

John Waylon

What is it with this guy?

He was a healthy scratch several games last season. (And I believe he was even demoted to the PS a time or two) 

Satele was jettisoned in the offseason, and Holmes was penciled in as our starting center. He was all through camp, and started in the pre-season before his injury. 

He got healthy again, but Shipley was playing the spot well. When we decided to move Shipley, who did we put in at center? Harrison. Holmes was, again, a healthy scratch.

How is it that a guy who was penciled in to be our starting center, a guy the team said on different occasions was going to be a starting center, can not get on the field even when we need a center?

Is he so bad that they were always hoping for a replacement for him even though they were planning on starting him? 

It's really a head scratching situation. Our whole center situation is a head scratcher. Harrison didn't play bad yesterday. But why did we move Shipley out when it wasn't broken? When Mewhort comes back does Shipley go back to Center, or does Shipley stay a guard and we bench Lance Louis? 

And how in the hell does Holmes fit into the equation? 

Very strange. Very strange indeed. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have any answers, but I will add a question to your list.  Why, if you're considering a center change, do you make that change against a team like the Ravens when it could have been done against Jacksonville/Tennessee?  Thankfully we won the game, but snap count miscues like we saw yesterday can cost you the game against good teams.

It's odd! Very very odd! I mean they obviosuly had a lot of trust im Holmes. Center was a big issue over the last few years and they did nothing to improve it in pre season. They absolutely trusted Holmes so therefore didn't go for a veteran Center via free agency (Costa excluded) and did nothing in the draft and just signed an undrafted rookie free agent. So whats up with Holmes? He is healthy but they start an undrafted rookie with no experience instead of him...

It's odd! Very very odd! I mean they obviosuly had a lot of trust im Holmes. Center was a big issue over the last few years and they did nothing to improve it in pre season. They absolutely trusted Holmes so therefore didn't go for a veteran Center via free agency (Costa excluded) and did nothing in the draft and just signed an undrafted rookie free agent. So whats up with Holmes? He is healthy but they start an undrafted rookie with no experience instead of him...

I don't think we signed Costa with any intent to start him though. I think he was signed to be Holmes backup. 

And now all the sudden, Holmes himself can't even be a backup.

Maybe Khaled still isn't fully healthy?  He was healthy enough to dress and be there in case we needed him yesterday, but not fully ready for starting?  I don't know what else it could be

With the way the NFL has been cracking down on hidden injuries and not listing injuries on injury reports I'd think the coaching staff would list him with an injury if he had any. 

Maybe Khaled still isn't fully healthy?  He was healthy enough to dress and be there in case we needed him yesterday, but not fully ready for starting?  I don't know what else it could be

I think if that were the case we wouldn't have made the switch to Harrison yesterday.  I can't see making this switch with the team planning to start Holmes in a week or 2, but I suppose expecting strange things at the center position has become the norm for this team...

What is it with this guy?

He was a healthy scratch several games last season. (And I believe he was even demoted to the PS a time or two) 

Satele was jettisoned in the offseason, and Holmes was penciled in as our starting center. He was all through camp, and started in the pre-season before his injury. 

He got healthy again, but Shipley was playing the spot well. When we decided to move Shipley, who did we put in at center? Harrison. Holmes was, again, a healthy scratch.

How is it that a guy who was penciled in to be our starting center, a guy the team said on different occasions was going to be a starting center, can not get on the field even when we need a center?

Is he so bad that they were always hoping for a replacement for him even though they were planning on starting him? 

It's really a head scratching situation. Our whole center situation is a head scratcher. Harrison didn't play bad yesterday. But why did we move Shipley out when it wasn't broken? When Mewhort comes back does Shipley go back to Center, or does Shipley stay a guard and we bench Lance Louis? 

And how in the hell does Holmes fit into the equation? 

Very strange. Very strange indeed. 

Whenever the answer to your question is elusive, either you don't have all the information you need, or maybe you don't have the skills and experience needed to effectively process the information you do have.  In our case as fans....it is probably both.

Don't have any answers, but I will add a question to your list.  Why, if you're considering a center change, do you make that change against a team like the Ravens when it could have been done against Jacksonville/Tennessee?  Thankfully we won the game, but snap count miscues like we saw yesterday can cost you the game against good teams.

Because Harrison was coming off a hand injury ?

Khalid Holmes is the doghouse.

Muamba seems to be in the doghouse. 

What is with the coaching staff having the Kavell Conner syndrome??

(like never letting good players ever see the field and hanging on to crappy players too long - Sheppard) 

May have to agree with you on that one, i seen Andrew Jackson out there on a few downs instead of Muamba and Sheppard which actually surprised me. I wonder what they may have done to get put in the Dog House.  

May have to agree with you on that one, i seen Andrew Jackson out there on a few downs instead of Muamba and Sheppard which actually surprised me. I wonder what they may have done to get put in the Dog House.

Play bad?

You do realize we cut Sheppard prior to final cut downs, right? He's a Dolphin now.

I watched the game a 2nd time and watched a lot of Harrison.  He is definitely a more powerful player than Shipley and seems to have  very good hands in pass protection.  I saw him miss a few blocks of LBs at the 2nd level and a couple of TR's runs that got 3 or 4 yards could have been 6 or 7 yards runs.  The Raven's have a very good set of LBs so that accounts for some of it.  I don't know what to make of the snapping issues - I men that's what his primary function is so there were too many mistakes there - forgetting the count, snapping to soon, snapping the ball over Luck's head.  Is that nerves for a an un-drafted rookie?  I haven't seen enough of Holmes to decide how the two compare athletically.  

I watched the game a 2nd time and watched a lot of Harrison.  He is definitely a more powerful player than Shipley and seems to have  very good hands in pass protection.  I saw him miss a few blocks of LBs at the 2nd level and a couple of TR's runs that got 3 or 4 yards could have been 6 or 7 yards runs.  The Raven's have a very good set of LBs so that accounts for some of it.  I don't know what to make of the snapping issues - I men that's what his primary function is so there were too many mistakes there - forgetting the count, snapping to soon, snapping the ball over Luck's head.  Is that nerves for a an un-drafted rookie?  I haven't seen enough of Holmes to decide how the two compare athletically.  

I thought he struggled snapping the ball in the preseason too but maybe it was someone else. Thought i remembered it being him that killed a goal to go drive in the Jets game with a snap over Lucks head after Holmes got hurt and had another bad snap later in the game.  Not sure if it's nerves or if he just struggles at time to accurately snap the footall, which is kind of a big deal.  He had several high snaps yesterday, luckily only one went over Luck's head.

It's very unusual that Holmes, drafted to be the starting center, was projected to start the regular season coming off the injury, and here it is the fifth game of the season with two alternative guys rotating in his place. It's frustrating to think this guy is going to be constantly sidelined. He was an outstanding college center for USC.

I thought he struggled snapping the ball in the preseason too but maybe it was someone else. Thought i remembered it being him that killed a goal to go drive in the Jets game with a snap over Lucks head after Holmes got hurt and had another bad snap later in the game.  Not sure if it's nerves or if he just struggles at time to accurately snap the footall, which is kind of a big deal.  He had several high snaps yesterday, luckily only one went over Luck's head.

No you are Correct it was Harrison. 

Not too sure what is up with Holmes but I like Harrison so far. I think he has a lot of upside. Don't mind if Shipley is the starter as well but he would be a nice backup for Harrison. At this point, I'm not counting at Holmes to be in the lineup for the rest of the season.

Here is just my guess on the situation. Shipley is a decent pass blocker but not a real good run blocker from watching him.  So I think the move was made yesterday because they thought Harrison could move people better.  But as far as Holmes, my guess it he high ankle sprain is still bothering him and they want to make sure he is near 100% before putting him back in.

Here is just my guess on the situation. Shipley is a decent pass blocker but not a real good run blocker from watching him.  So I think the move was made yesterday because they thought Harrison could move people better.  But as far as Holmes, my guess it he high ankle sprain is still bothering him and they want to make sure he is near 100% before putting him back in.

Like I said in response to that earlier though, if he's still being held out to heal and he isn't being listed on injury reports, the NFL will come down on us HARD. That's a major no-no. And with everyone looking at our center position and going "What's up with that?" it's not making it easy to hide. And my guess is the question of Holmes health WILL come up this week, if it hasn't already.

Not buying it, Shipley has been solid since he's cracked the starting lineup.

Shipley is weak in the run game. He is unable to generate anything in the run game up the middle so... bye bye

Big props to him tho for being quick and decisive to help Mewhort and Thornton in pass protection.

I think they plan to trade one of the centers

I don't think so. We don't seem to even want Holmes around for depth on gameday. If we trade Harrison (No one is going to trade for a center with only a couple of starts to his credit) or Shipley, Holmes becomes the #2, and we don't even seem interested in that. 

Plus that would be some dirty pool to claim Shipley off of waivers only to turn around and trade him off YET AGAIN. Especially if Harrison or Holmes turns into the next satele, and we keep starting him the way we did satele.