Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis Extended Through 2016

Blackhawk4

Can I throw it out there that I think this was a bad decision unless the numbers are really in our favor?

You got a guy who did great in 2013, but then he gets a PED suspension followed by a torn achilles and we're gonna give him a contract extension?  

I'd rather have seen what he does in 2015 before handing him another year.

Can I throw it out there that I think this was a bad decision unless the numbers are really in our favor?

You got a guy who did great in 2013, but then he gets a PED suspension followed by a torn achilles and we're gonna give him a contract extension?

Eh, I'm sure much like Peyton.... Mathis will know when he can't perform anymore and will step down if need be. Even if it means he's a situational player for us or he just has to retire

It's a $6M team option.

Does the injured reserve/non-football injury tag give the colts the right not to pay mathis his salary for this season??

If that's true, maybe they agreed just to move his existing contract to the future?

I hope someone understands what i'm trying to ask, i don't know how to formulate what i'm thinking here..

Technically, the Colts could have tried to withhold pay in 2014 due to the injury. I'm sure grievances would be filed and there'd be a big fight with the NFLPA. As a matter of fact, the league is considering loosening the workout restrictions for suspended players in order to avoid stuff like this. 

I'm not sure what the structure of this extension is, and it will probably be a few days before the details are clarified. 

Per source, Robert Mathis gets his full $6 million for this year while on NFI. So they agreed to add a year to the deal ('16) at $6 million.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer)

September 30, 2014

In essence, the new $6 million for Mathis in '16 is a team option. Player doing club a solid for the $6 million he gets this year on NFI.

September 30, 2014

Per source, Robert Mathis gets his full $6 million for this year while on NFI. So they agreed to add a year to the deal ('16) at $6 million.

September 30, 2014

In essence, the new $6 million for Mathis in '16 is a team option. Player doing club a solid for the $6 million he gets this year on NFI.

September 30, 2014

Ok this doesn't sound so bad.  A 6 million dollar option for 2016 with no guaranteed money at somewhat of a discount rate.  (His current APY is 9 mil) in exchange for us paying him his salary for the rest of the year.

Ok this doesn't sound so bad.  A 6 million dollar option for 2016 with no guaranteed money at somewhat of a discount rate.  (His current APY is 9 mil) in exchange for us paying him his salary for the rest of the year.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's him doing us a solid. A 32 year old getting an extra $6m added on to his contract in two years isn't anything to sneeze at. Of course, it's not guaranteed, but that's not the point. I see benefits to both sides here. 

I'm not complaining, either way. Just sayin.

Im not much of a cap person but if Albert Breer says Mathis is doing us a solid then I believe him!

Good deal for both!!!!

Not really it's a mutually beneficial agreement.  

Mathis gets paid this year even though we don't have to pay him (due to the fact that he was injured outside of a football game or team practice)

The Colts get an "option year" for 2016 so that if Mathis is back to playing at a high level at in 2015 they take the option and have him for another year.  If he's not playing so well, they let him walk and lose nothing.

I don't see it as a favor, he's getting 6 million bucks this year in exchange for that extra year's contract.

The Colts felt obligated due to the fact he was put on the non-football injury list.  No money this year......

Yes he will be hungry!!

Mathis will get his full $6 million salary for this yr (players don't lose their salary for injuries only suspensions trigger a loss of salary) Peyton was paid his full salary in 2011 as well, but Mathis will still be hungry 

Mathis will get his full $6 million salary for this yr (players don't lose their salary for injuries only suspensions trigger a loss of salary) Peyton was paid his full salary in 2011 as well, but Mathis will still be hungry

The colts didn't have to pay him. They chose to

Does the injured reserve/non-football injury tag give the colts the right not to pay mathis his salary for this season??

If that's true, maybe they agreed just to move his existing contract to the future?

I hope someone understands what i'm trying to ask, i don't know how to formulate what i'm thinking here..

Players have injury guarantees in their contracts, Mathis will get his full $6 million salary this yr, only a suspension can trigger a loss of salary...injuries are a HUGE part of football so the contracts are always honored as they should be...idk if you remember bob sanders, but he always collected his paycheck regardless of how much time he spent in the trainers room ( a whole lot haha...glass bob we called him amazing safety just couldn't stay healthy)

Players have injury guarantees in their contracts, Mathis will get his full $6 million salary this yr, only a suspension can trigger a loss of salary...injuries are a HUGE part of football so the contracts are always honored as they should be...idk if you remember bob sanders, but he always collected his paycheck regardless of how much time he spent in the trainers room ( a whole lot haha...glass bob we called him amazing safety just couldn't stay healthy)

You're completely wrong about the Mathis situation. Since he was injured while on suspension, it is considered a non-football injury, thus giving the Colts the option to not pay him. In fact, he was placed on the reserve/non-injured list (not IR) because of how the injury happened. The Colts are doing RM a solid by paying him (and seems appropriate to me) when they don't have to. 

The colts didn't have to pay him. They chose to

Your assuming that Mathis (an elite pass rusher) didn't have an injury guarantee in his contract (which is highly unlikely) so no Indy didn't pay him out of the kindness of their hearts...fans forget that football is a business if teams could get away with not playing injuried players they do it/ have done it, which is why elite players negotiate injury and sometime skill guarantees (if skill level drops and the team cuts the player the player still gets paid) in their contracts...now without seeing the terms of Mathis contract (which I haven't) I can't say for sure whether or not his salary was injury or skill guaranteed but its a pretty safe bet it was.

Your assuming that Mathis (an elite pass rusher) didn't have an injury guarantee in his contract (which is highly unlikely) so no Indy didn't pay him out of the kindness of their hearts...fans forget that football is a business if teams could get away with not playing injuried players they do it/ have done it, which is why elite players negotiate injury and sometime skill guarantees (if skill level drops and the team cuts the player the player still gets paid) in their contracts...now without seeing the terms of Mathis contract (which I haven't) I can't say for sure whether or not his salary was injury or skill guaranteed but its a pretty safe bet it was.

He was hurt while suspended and not on the team The colts didn't have to pay him. This has been pointed out many times on this very thread

You're completely wrong about the Mathis situation. Since he was injured while on suspension, it is considered a non-football injury, thus giving the Colts the option to not pay him. In fact, he was placed on the reserve/non-injured list (not IR) because of how the injury happened. The Colts are doing RM a solid by paying him (and seems appropriate to me) when they don't have to. 

It depends on the terms of the contract (which idk) but if Mathis has an injury guarantee in his contract (which is likely for an elite pass rusher) he still gets paid regardless of how the injury happened.