Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

I'm watching the game again right now, and while Mosley gave everyone fits, there were at least 2 plays that I've seen so far that was clearly the result of Trent being a poor running back. For a guy who is supposed to be a YAC player, he's had too many plays where he's brought down with one-arm tackles. On the screen play where Mosley stopped him, he had Thornton out in front blocking and had Mosley sealed inside but Trent unnecessarily cutback right into Mosley's arms.

He's just not very good, and I'm tired of this staff and this forum acting like it's not his fault. He is a liability virtually every time we put the ball in his hands. The only thing more foolish looking than trading a first for Richardson is the refusal to admit it was a mistake and keep force feeding him in an attempt to save face. That is a poor reflection on this staff and front office, in my opinion

Overall, I'm pleased with the progress the team has made so far. The offensive line is coming together, as is the defensive line. The secondary looks borderline elite, even without either of our starting safeties from last season, and the play calling on both sides of the ball has improved drastically....BUT... Trent and the team's insistence on starting him is the biggest blemish I see, and still makes me take pause when considering if this is the right front office to lead us to a superbowl

I am definitely not trying to stick up for Richardson and his play in general - but this is a very bad example if you are trying to show a Richardson mistake. Look at your own pictures - do you not see number 25 waiting to make the play if Richardson bounces outside? Are you saying that rather than Richardson stay with his blockers (2 of them were not even engaged and one of them was engaged with a raven blocking him) you think he should have bounced it to the outside where there was a completely unblocked Raven waiting to make the play?

Hindsight is so sweet.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely not trying to stick up for Richardson and his play in general - but this is a very bad example if you are trying to show a Richardson mistake. Look at your own pictures - do you not see number 25 waiting to make the play if Richardson bounces outside? Are you saying that rather than Richardson stay with his blockers (2 of them were not even engaged and one of them was engaged with a raven blocking him) you think he should have bounced it to the outside where there was a completely unblocked Raven waiting to make the play?

Hindsight is so sweet.

If I'm a 230 lb running back with a one-on-one with only a DB on the outside 5-10 yards down the field, I'm going to take that free 5-10 yards (at least) every time. Even more so when one of my lead blockers is engaged with the other teams best tackler, and my other blockers are a few steps behind me. I understand what he was trying to do (wait for blocks), but you don't cutback into the opposing team's best tackler in that situation, especially when the next closest defender is 5 yards away from you. Go watch the play again for yourself. Pictures don't do it justice for how poor a decision it was 

Except I'm actually providing evidence to back my opinion. You can label me an "arm chair GM" or whatever else you want to call me. The only thing I see is you can't really explain why you feel my opinion doesn't hold merit

Your opinion doesn't.

You show one play Trent made a bad decision but still ended up running for almost 4 yards a carry...

Your opinion doesn't.

You show one play Trent made a bad decision but still ended up running for almost 4 yards a carry...

So it's all yards per carry with you then, right? He's averaging 3.4 YPC on the season and only has 1 rushing touchdown. End of discussion

So it's all yards per carry with you then, right? He's averaging 3.4 YPC on the season and only has 1 rushing touchdown. End of discussion

"End of the discussion in the 5th game of the season"...Thanks for clarifying the intelligence I'm working with..

"End of the discussion in the 5th game of the season"...Thanks for clarifying the intelligence I'm working with..

So a full season, a postseason and 5 games isn't a big enough sample size to form an educated opinion? People still holding out hope that he doesn't turn out to be a complete bust of an acquisition for us are likely doing so because of some sort of emotional attachment, at this point. The jab at my intelligence might've actually hurt coming from someone who could do more than just look at a stat sheet to form an opinion

So a full season, a postseason and 5 games isn't a big enough sample size to form an educated opinion? People still holding out hope that he doesn't turn out to be a complete bust of an acquisition for us are likely doing so because of some sort of emotional attachment, at this point. The jab at my intelligence might've actually hurt coming from someone who could do more than just look at a stat sheet to form an opinion

So the fact that so far he's improved over last year, and seems to be improving each game doesn't mean anything to you?

So the fact that so far he's improved over last year, and seems to be improving each game doesn't mean anything to you?

He is who he is. What has he improved on, in your opinion? He has more running lanes this year, I'll give him that. Does he still dance in the backfield? Yes. Does he still have limited burst when he takes a handoff? Yes. Does he still have problems with his vision? Yes. So what is he doing better?

He seems to have a better grasp of his assignments on any given play. I guess that's something, but that has nothing to do with his abilities as a ball carrier. He is solid in pass protection and he's adequate as a receiver out of the backfield. Those are things we already knew about him. The things he's been criticized for since the start of last season are still surfacing today. I just don't see a noticeable amount of improvement in his game to call him a weapon on this offense yet. Right now he's a change of pace back being thrusted into the starting lineup solely because of what was given up to acquire him. I agree that Bradshaw needs to be paced, but I disagree that Richardson is the guy that should be doing it, let alone starting in front of him  

If I'm a 230 lb running back with a one-on-one with only a DB on the outside 5-10 yards down the field, I'm going to take that free 5-10 yards (at least) every time. Even more so when one of my lead blockers is engaged with the other teams best tackler, and my other blockers are a few steps behind me. I understand what he was trying to do (wait for blocks), but you don't cutback into the opposing team's best tackler in that situation, especially when the next closest defender is 5 yards away from you. Go watch the play again for yourself. Pictures don't do it justice for how poor a decision it was

Hmm I wonder if the coaches would agree with you?

He is who he is. What has he improved on, in your opinion? He has more running lanes this year, I'll give him that. Does he still dance in the backfield? Yes. Does he still have limited burst when he takes a handoff? Yes. Does he still have problems with his vision? Yes. So what is he doing better?

He seems to have a better grasp of his assignments on any given play. I guess that's something, but that has nothing to do with his abilities as a ball carrier. He is solid in pass protection and he's adequate as a receiver out of the backfield. Those are things we already knew about him. The things he's been criticized for since the start of last season are still surfacing today. I just don't see a noticeable amount of improvement in his game to call him a weapon on this offense yet. Right now he's a change of pace back being thrusted into the starting lineup solely because of what was given up to acquire him. I agree that Bradshaw needs to be paced, but I disagree that Richardson is the guy that should be doing it, let alone starting in front of him  

Breath...relax.. and try to enjoy the games then over grade a player... you might see something...

2.25 million this year and 3.2 next year is over payed for his production in my book. all guaranteed

That is overpaid?  Are you one of those people who only looks at his YPC?  He does a lot for our passing game also.  I do admit his average should be a little better, but I would be happy with 4+  He is expected to get all of the grunt yards on obvious running downs, that the whole stadium knows were running.  Our interior line is just starting to find their comfort zone.  He is definitely making more plays than he did last year, and he's slowly progressing.  Be patient, he is only getting better!

Breath...relax.. and try to enjoy the games then over grade a player... you might see something...

What does this even mean? Please stop replying to me if you're not even going to attempt to address anything I've said, or answer any of the questions I've posed.

I don't hate Trent, and want him to succeed as long as he is a Colt. I've been mostly quiet on the whole issue until recently. I'm just over the excuses for the guy. He is who he is, and I'm not going to look at his game through rose-tinted glasses solely to appease this forum

We are not NFL RBs....I'm not going to think my vision/instinct are just as good as a NFL RBs and try to clarify or reason why someone goes one way or another during a play.

All I care about is wins, and if the coaching staff of the Colts believe T. Richardson or A. Bradshaw gives them the best chance of winning games then I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The Colts front office and coaching staff have more knowledge of their players than anybody combine on this forum.

Your song and dance is getting old.

That's what happens when he and Bradshaw got hit in the backfield all night.  They both managed to still make a negative into a positive more often than not and get back to the line of scrimmage or a yard or two.

Right and he wasn't looking good by any stretch of the imagination. 

Your offensive line is rated one of the best in football and you're still making excuses about the O-line. 

Seems about right. 

Right and he wasn't looking good by any stretch of the imagination. 

Your offensive line is rated one of the best in football and you're still making excuses about the O-line. 

Seems about right. 

How is that an excuse?  That's just what happened.  When both your RBs average 2.4 YPC and 3.1 YPC, clearly your line isn't opening holes.  That's to be expected when you're going up against one of the better front 7s in the league.  If you watched the game at all, you would have noticed how they were in our backfield all night.  Even a box score scout such as yourself can go look at the stat lines and see 3 sacks, 7 tackles for loss, and 8 QB hits.  If that's good blocking (or one of the best, as you put it) by your measures, then you really have no business talking about good or bad blocking and rushing.

How is that an excuse?  That's just what happened.  When both your RBs average 2.4 YPC and 3.1 YPC, clearly your line isn't opening holes.  That's to be expected when you're going up against one of the better front 7s in the league.  If you watched the game at all, you would have noticed how they were in our backfield all night.  Even a box score scout such as yourself can go look at the stat lines and see 3 sacks, 7 tackles for loss, and 8 QB hits.  If that's good blocking (or one of the best, as you put it) by your measures, then you really have no business talking about good or bad blocking and rushing.

Nice try with the "by your measure" comment.

9. Indianapolis Colts (25th)

PB: 3rd, RB: 16th, PEN: 27th

Stud: When you’ve been asked to pass protect as much as Anthony Castonzo and responded with just eight quarterback disruptions allowed, that’s impressive. Stepped up his game this year.

Dud: There are worse right tackles in the league than Gosder Cherilus and his performance is perfectly acceptable in the grand scheme of things, but has he justified the big contract he got? Is he good enough in the run game and solid enough in pass protection?

Summary: Big improvements here. The team is getting better play at center (even after bizarrely benching A.Q. Shipley) and reaping the benefits of Hugh Thornton learning from his rookie experience. The upshot is a more productive run game and a more protected Andrew Luck.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/3/

Middle of the road in Run blocking.

Nice try with the "by your measure" comment.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/3/

Middle of the road in Run blocking.

What does that link have to do with last night?  Those ratings were as of through week 5 and don't include last nights game.  But it's really irrelevant anyway.  You posted last nights stats and called out Trent, I said last night's run blocking wasn't very good, which it wasn't.  I'm not sure why you're even debating this.

What does that link have to do with last night? Those ratings were as of through week 5 and don't include last nights game. But it's really irrelevant anyway. You posted last nights stats and called out Trent, I said last night's run blocking wasn't very good, which it wasn't. I'm not sure why you're even debating this.

I mean if I was a Browns fan. I would do anything to take my mind off that fact.

I mean if I was a Browns fan. I would do anything to take my mind off that fact.

I swear man, it's like people don't know that you need to have good blocking to run the ball well.  Trent isnt' lighting up the box score or anything, but he's been good in a couple of games and bad in others.  In the games he didn't do so well in, neither did anyone else.  I will say that he's been more decisive in hitting the hole when its there and looking for the cutbacks a lot better.  But when you're getting hit in the backfield as you're getting the handoff, you're not goign to be getting huge gains. 

I still agree with the concept that we shouldn't have given up a first rounder for him, but that's because we shouldn't use a 1st round pick on RBs in general.  That being said, now that he's here, he's been solid and dependable.  He is 6th in rushing yards on 1st and 10, which is pretty good considering that half of his rushes are in 2 and 3 TE sets and over half of them have been in 1 WR looks or less (meaning more often than not, he's looking at defenses stacked up front).  When you've got that many guys in the box, you're just not going to be getting 20 yards absent a complete breakdown in teh defense.  He's also got mroe first downs than anyone on the team and has a first down per carry rate of 15%.  That number already isn't that badconsidering guys like Alfred Morris' and Jamaal Charles have a first down/carry ratio of 19%, Eddie Lacy 17%, Arian Foster and Marshawn Lynch at 20%.  But when you throw in the fact that 73 of Trent's 87 rush attempts have all been on 1st and 2nd down with more than 6 yards to go, that's a pretty darned good number.  So, fine, his YPC are pedestrian, but he's moving the chains and putting us in manageable 2nd and 3rd downs as good as anyone else in the league.

I agree, I think if he dropped 10 pounds he'd get back some of the quickness you saw his early years at Bama.

Have to agree with both of you.  He looks much faster and more trim back then than now.

Just not sure if it's Trent trying to become the "bowling ball" or if the Colts are trying to make him

out to be one?  Remember, we're supposed to have a power running scheme.  Seems like he's

trying to be a RB in a FB's body.