Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear man, it's like people don't know that you need to have good blocking to run the ball well.  Trent isnt' lighting up the box score or anything, but he's been good in a couple of games and bad in others.  In the games he didn't do so well in, neither did anyone else.  I will say that he's been more decisive in hitting the hole when its there and looking for the cutbacks a lot better.  But when you're getting hit in the backfield as you're getting the handoff, you're not goign to be getting huge gains. 

I still agree with the concept that we shouldn't have given up a first rounder for him, but that's because we shouldn't use a 1st round pick on RBs in general.  That being said, now that he's here, he's been solid and dependable.  He is 6th in rushing yards on 1st and 10, which is pretty good considering that half of his rushes are in 2 and 3 TE sets and over half of them have been in 1 WR looks or less (meaning more often than not, he's looking at defenses stacked up front).  When you've got that many guys in the box, you're just not going to be getting 20 yards absent a complete breakdown in teh defense.  He's also got mroe first downs than anyone on the team and has a first down per carry rate of 15%.  That number already isn't that badconsidering guys like Alfred Morris' and Jamaal Charles have a first down/carry ratio of 19%, Eddie Lacy 17%, Arian Foster and Marshawn Lynch at 20%.  But when you throw in the fact that 73 of Trent's 87 rush attempts have all been on 1st and 2nd down with more than 6 yards to go, that's a pretty darned good number.  So, fine, his YPC are pedestrian, but he's moving the chains and putting us in manageable 2nd and 3rd downs as good as anyone else in the league.

Where are you getting these numbers? Just curious

He is a better rb than Johnny is a qb

Right now thats by default to this point because Manziel has only thrown 1 pass this season.....Im not saying Manziel has what it takes to last as a starter if he was the starter but I don't think Trent does either

Right now thats by default to this point because Manziel has only thrown 1 pass this season.....Im not saying Manziel has what it takes to last as a starter if he was the starter but I don't think Trent does either

Trent actually is playing and producing to some degree Johnny Bench is not

Right and he wasn't looking good by any stretch of the imagination. 

Your offensive line is rated one of the best in football and you're still making excuses about the O-line. 

Seems about right. 

try watching the games and not just the stat lines.  The offensive line that was rated "one of the best" (which is not even true, in run blocking they're middle of the pack) had either Mewhort, Thornton or both playing....not Lance Louis and Joe Reitz.

try watching the games and not just the stat lines. The offensive line that was rated "one of the best" (which is not even true, in run blocking they're middle of the pack) had either Mewhort, Thornton or both playing....not Lance Louis and Joe Reitz.

Reitz is better than either of the guys starting above him. Louis is bad tho.

Reitz is better than either of the guys starting above him. Louis is bad tho.

Meh probably better then Thorton but I don't think better then Mewhort and from what I remember of Reitz (Which is not a lot now since I have not get consistent playing time since he has seeming fell out of favor for one reason or another with someone on the coaching staff) is he was a solid pass blocker but no better in the run game

Meh probably better then Thorton but I don't think better then Mewhort and from what I remember of Reitz (Which is not a lot now since I have not get consistent playing time since he has seeming fell out of favor for one reason or another with someone on the coaching staff) is he was a solid pass blocker but no better in the run game

That's pretty much what I was thinking about reitz as well.

Everyone needs to lay off Trent. He didnt choose to be traded from Cleveland to us for a first round pick.... If people wanna complain about the deal, complain about Grigson's decision to pull the trigger on the trade.

Grigson has made a few terrible decisions, but overall his good decisions vastly outweigh the terrible ones. Simply put, he has been great for us. Look what he has done this year with some UDFA who have made the roster and are actually contributing, and contributing well at that. Kerr has been phenomenal on the D-Line, Harrison is our starting Center now (and doing a pretty decent job despite the odd bad snap). Purifoy has been a good special teams player and definitely one to watch for the future. Herron seems like he has the same burst and runs as angry as Bradshaw, if/when he gets his chance to contribute I have no doubt he will produce.

My point is, Trent can only play to his ability, which is improving btw. Grigson is the one who made that bad decision to trade the 1st rounder for him (which he was never worth in the first place but we have him now so deal with it). But overall, as a fanbase we have it pretty good. Our organisation every now and then makes a bad desicion (but name me one that doesnt) and overall the good decisions outweigh the bad ones by far. Enjoy it while it lasts and be grateful!

Looking at the stats, the fumble was charged to Luck. Not marred by the fumble after all. :-)

Well, in reality (and in general), those fumbles are rightly charged to the QB.  I wish i could remember how the exchange went - i.e. it was high on the chest plate.  I just dont' remember.  But the RB is reading his blockers during the exchange, so if he doesn't get the handoff where he's suppose to, it's going to be a fumble because he's expecting it in his gut.  In the end, it doesn't matter who's fault it was, it shouldn't have happened.

Well, in reality (and in general), those fumbles are rightly charged to the QB.  I wish i could remember how the exchange went - i.e. it was high on the chest plate.  I just dont' remember.  But the RB is reading his blockers during the exchange, so if he doesn't get the handoff where he's suppose to, it's going to be a fumble because he's expecting it in his gut.  In the end, it doesn't matter who's fault it was, it shouldn't have happened.

That's a good point that the ball was placed in the wrong spot....and not the first time that's happened this year