Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Will Colts Pick With Their Top 5 Pick After Luck Trade?

Ok, so obviously I believe Manning will be back healthy next year and that the #1 pick the Colts have will be traded to a team that has a top 5 pick as well. I still think Miami is the best team to trade to, although they need to stop winning games! I am pretending the Colts trade the #1 overall pick to Miami for the first and second this year, and their first next year.

Personally, I would like to see the Colts go Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State. Bill loves to take skill position players and Reggie isn't getting any younger. With Castonza in place, I don't see the Colts going Kalil. Blackmons big play ability is sorely missed since Marvin had to call it a career. I know secondary is a concern but I don't there are players that grade out this high.

Where I think the secondary will be address is in the second round. The Colts would have the top pick in round 2 plus another top 5 second round pick. So hopefully they can address the secondary here.

Where do you all see the Colts going assuming the trade the Luck pick, which I believe they very much will?

Ok, so obviously I believe Manning will be back healthy next year and that the #1 pick the Colts have will be traded to a team that has a top 5 pick as well. I still think Miami is the best team to trade to, although they need to stop winning games! I am pretending the Colts trade the #1 overall pick to Miami for the first and second this year, and their first next year.

Personally, I would like to see the Colts go Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State. Bill loves to take skill position players and Reggie isn't getting any younger. With Castonza in place, I don't see the Colts going Kalil. Blackmons big play ability is sorely missed since Marvin had to call it a career. I know secondary is a concern but I don't there are players that grade out this high.

Where I think the secondary will be address is in the second round. The Colts would have the top pick in round 2 plus another top 5 second round pick. So hopefully they can address the secondary here.

Where do you all see the Colts going assuming the trade the Luck pick, which I believe they very much will?

I agree Mannning will be back next year and we should take Blackmon.. Were not gonna resign Wayne so Blackmon can jump right into his spot.

I like Blackmon but remember Reggie said it took him a couple seasons to really get the offense down and I dont know if we have a couple seasons with Manning right now. Gonzo and Collie filled in fine in their first season but they didn't have the productivity Wayne had.

If anything I hope they go DT or CB with the 1st rd pick. Defense needs to be addressed. We have two great pass rushers, a solid LB core, if we can get the secondary holes filled and a good DT next to Nevis we should be okay.

Here is the top 5 guys I would look at if we traded the pick.

Ashlon Jeffery: You just cannot teach 6'4" 229 lbs. It would be the physical freak at WR that Peyton has never had. The guy will be a redzone monster for years to come. Reggie is not getting any younger, Garcon is horribly inconsistent, Collie is just a solid WR, and Ashlon could easily step in be Peyton's top target.

Quinton Couples: Hughes is a total bust and is no way able to take over for Mathis like that pick was designed to. Couples can come in and make and immediate impact on the defense. Getting Couples means we could say goodbye to Mathis and use that money to look at other areas to fill in free agency. Do we really want to lock up an aging DE to a long term deal?

Morris Claiborne: Our corners suck period.

Dre Kirkpatrick: Our corners suck period.

Matt Kalil: I know we drafted AC last year, but Kalil looks to be an even better pro prospect. You move AC to the RT spot and Ilajana to guard and you just revamped your aging offensive line in two drafts. You put Kalil and AC on the outside and you will probably have things locked down along the OL for years to come. How amazing would it be to have the RT and LT spot solidifed for a 2nd year QB or rookie to step into. One of the biggest problems most young QBs deal with is horrendous offensive line play.

There is absolutely no way the Colts could justify taking a wide receiver with a high pick. Our top priorities in this draft need to be QB, and defense.

Depends what you get in trade for the #1 pick. You can get a QB in the 2nd round and take chance. The Colts are losing their elite skill players because they have not been in a position to take one in forever. If you can get a stud WR who will be like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc for 10-12 years take it.

If Manning is healthy you don't NEED a QB this year, next year would be another option. But I am of the opinion if you think Luck is going to be elite in the NFL then you take him at #1 now. If you do not think he will be your franchise QB and the best player in the draft then I see no issue with taking a WR at your 1st pick.

Here is the top 5 guys I would look at if we traded the pick.

Ashlon Jeffery: You just cannot teach 6'4" 229 lbs. It would be the physical freak at WR that Peyton has never had. The guy will be a redzone monster for years to come. Reggie is not getting any younger, Garcon is horribly inconsistent, Collie is just a solid WR, and Ashlon could easily step in be Peyton's top target.

Quinton Couples: Hughes is a total bust and is no way able to take over for Mathis like that pick was designed to. Couples can come in and make and immediate impact on the defense. Getting Couples means we could say goodbye to Mathis and use that money to look at other areas to fill in free agency. Do we really want to lock up an aging DE to a long term deal?

Morris Claiborne: Our corners suck period.

Dre Kirkpatrick: Our corners suck period.

Matt Kalil: I know we drafted AC last year, but Kalil looks to be an even better pro prospect. You move AC to the RT spot and Ilajana to guard and you just revamped your aging offensive line in two drafts. You put Kalil and AC on the outside and you will probably have things locked down along the OL for years to come. How amazing would it be to have the RT and LT spot solidifed for a 2nd year QB or rookie to step into. One of the biggest problems most young QBs deal with is horrendous offensive line play.

There are several holes in this:

1. Garcon is not horribly inconsistent, he has gotten much better. I do love Alshon Jeffery though!

2. Quinton Coples is the riskiest top pick out there, he isn't producing very well in college so he might not transition very well to the NFL. Jamaal Anderson is a big DE who was drafted 6th overall who didn't work out for Atlanta.

3. Morris Claiborne is my choice for our first pick, likely around #8 overall. He has played extrememly well this year for LSU.

4. Anthony Castonzo was a better LT than RT coming out of college. His strengths were pass protecting, but he needed to put on some size and strength to better handle bull rushers and to improve his run blocking. I'd rather keep him at LT where he has been playing well. We could just draft a G in the top of the second round like Kelechi Osemele or Cordy Glenn who are both excellent players.

Good to hear all the opinions as that is what makes these forums fun. I don't think the Colts HAVE to take a QB this year because I think that is reasoning why not to take Luck. I just don't think it makes sense to draft a guy who won't play until five years from now, most likely. His contract would expire berfore he ever starts. I actually think if Peyton is good to go next year, the Colts will pick a QB maybe next year or the year after. I think two years is a good amount of time to sit behind someone and learn. I also see no problem in goiing WR that high, because skill positions are always a premium as long as 18 is back there, even if it is for only four more years. Garcon has great potential, but is spotty. We definitely miss Marvins big play ability. Finally, I HOPE we can get more for that pick then what I said. I forgot about what Atlanta gave up. I would love to get like two #1s and two #2s or something like that. That would ensure the Colts are competitive now and fighting for rings in Mannings last four years, while bringing in young, blue chip talent.

Barkley or Blackmon. Get some extra picks AND add the QB of the future or pick up a dynamic weapon for Manning and whoever his predecessor ends up being.

Blackmon is 28 if he is the Ok State guy, he's not exactly a QB for the "future". If we are going to take a QB with the first pick we might as well take the best one we can unless we just get a Hershall Walker type of trade offer.

Blackmon is 28 if he is the Ok State guy, he's not exactly a QB for the "future". If we are going to take a QB with the first pick we might as well take the best one we can unless we just get a Hershall Walker type of trade offer.

Brandon Weeden is the 28 yr old Oklahoma St QB. Justin Blackmon is his Wr. ;)

Brandon Weeden is the 28 yr old Oklahoma St QB. Justin Blackmon is his Wr. ;)

Got it now that's why I added that in there as I couldn't recall which was which. I just knew the name was from Ok State. Blackmon probably wouldn't be a bad look if we move back. We need another future number one even if we bring Wayne back and man I was listening to the Polian show tonight and they spent a large amount of time talking about Marvin Harrison and while I love Reggie and I think Reggie is one of the best of his generation Marvin was one of the best of all-time and it would be so great to watch a super star QB with one of the best of all-time again and if Blackmon could be that then I would be all for it.

If they trade down once and are still in the top 5 then, unless they're intent is to go after Barkely then there's no reason not to trade down a second time if possible. The top 5 picks are most l likely to be Luck, Barkley, Kalil and possibly another OT in either Jonathan Martin or Riley Reiff, or another QB in Landry Jones or RG3 (who is now ranked #8 overall on cbssports.com), all of course depending on which teams wind up at the top of the draft.

The point is the Colts are in a rare situation where, depending on which QB they decide to target, the top 5-7 picks could all be players at positions that are not the biggest needs for the Colts. We don't need an OT...we need a OG so we could try to trade down to a team who needs Kalil, Reiff or Martin and still get the best OG in the draft. I would personally try to do as many incremental trade downs as possible, still wind up picking in the 10-12 range in round 1 and acquire as many 2nd and 3rd round picks as I could. This should be a very deep draft and imo there is going to be a lot of talent at positions that are our biggest needs in rounds 2 and 3...even later rounds as well but I think we could really improve this team with multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks and of course acquiring whatever future picks I could as well.

So really it all comes down to what player at what position the Colts decide is their must have player in the first round. Claiborn is still moving up the boards...he's moved up and is now #6 overall so if the colts trade down and wind up at #4 or 5 they may have to take Claiborn there if he's who they want.

I honestly think that we should trade the first pick. I dont think that our oline is that improved. Take WR in the first, after the trade, then pick oline, then CB. If Peyton is healthy, then we build the future team that our next QB will be playing with. Peyton will get his rings, and we can trade down in the draft the for our next franchise QB. Honestly I highly doubt Luck is like Peyton. Peyton is extremey rare... If we do take luck, then I'll take that as the Colts think he is a rare prospect.

If you need a QB, which we WILL next season or in the next 3 or so (best case scenario), WHY would you trade the 1st and Luck (assuming you agree with EVERYONE else that he is far above barkley, etc) to get another lesser QB and some other "secondary" players? If Luck is viewed to be that good, you take him and invest the rest in def (CB, DT, safety)and OL. Do a little free agency like this yr and we'll be fine with or without Manning. Now, if you view barkly or other to be similar long-term to Luck then you trade. I realize its hindsight, but looking back, how many picks would you have given for Manning? I don't remember manning being this toughted coming out (as luck).

I think you find a way to have manning & Luck (if he's the guy) on the roster. It will prob only be for 2 or 3 years. Manning's contract was at 5 years I think, which only leaves 4 anyway. But then we're covered at the most important position (assuming luck pans out) for the next 10 years. We can build/improve the rest thru draft and minor free agency which I feel we have been successful at overall. If Manning's neck thing doesn't pan-out, then we have a plan started. If Manning can recover, he'll train the heir apparent ofr we could even trade that asset. Any way you look at it, we should start nurturing "the heir apparent" next year, no matter who it is. And I'm not talkin painter or Danny O.

I just remember how many QBs this team went thru and how quickly pre- manning & harbaugh. A revolving door. A first overall pick QB is better far better than a later 1st rd QB in most cases. As long as your not "reaching" because you desperately need a QB. Yea, there are exceptions, but you are increasing your chance of success immensely. I can't remember the last QB coming out of college that 99% of people loved and thought "can't miss'. can you?

It has seemed difficult for us to get quality CBs on this team. but if you think thats hard, try finding a top-tier QB.

Find a way.

If they trade down once and are still in the top 5 then, unless they're intent is to go after Barkely then there's no reason not to trade down a second time if possible. The top 5 picks are most l likely to be Luck, Barkley, Kalil and possibly another OT in either Jonathan Martin or Riley Reiff, or another QB in Landry Jones or RG3 (who is now ranked #8 overall on cbssports.com), all of course depending on which teams wind up at the top of the draft.

The point is the Colts are in a rare situation where, depending on which QB they decide to target, the top 5-7 picks could all be players at positions that are not the biggest needs for the Colts. We don't need an OT...we need a OG so we could try to trade down to a team who needs Kalil, Reiff or Martin and still get the best OG in the draft. I would personally try to do as many incremental trade downs as possible, still wind up picking in the 10-12 range in round 1 and acquire as many 2nd and 3rd round picks as I could. This should be a very deep draft and imo there is going to be a lot of talent at positions that are our biggest needs in rounds 2 and 3...even later rounds as well but I think we could really improve this team with multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks and of course acquiring whatever future picks I could as well.

So really it all comes down to what player at what position the Colts decide is their must have player in the first round. Claiborn is still moving up the boards...he's moved up and is now #6 overall so if the colts trade down and wind up at #4 or 5 they may have to take Claiborn there if he's who they want.

I like this idea too.

If the organization doesn't think Luck is "the guy" then I like this concept.

But I still think we'll need "the next" QB sooner rather than later. How we gonna get "him"?

And I just don't agree with the "find one in 2nd, 3rd, 4th round" philosophy.

No matter what happens come draft time, unless the front office really goofs this one, it will be exciting.

Couldnt agree more with you Jason. Trade down n get as many picks as u can. I really like this draft especially for all the good defensive players coming out. If peyton is 100% healthy, then getting kellen moore in the 4th or late 3rd round would be good. He studys film more than any of the other college qbs. If we got him i assume peyton would play for 4 years because he is in fact fully healthy. Kellen would then start after learning for four years n would have a very good o line n good defense because of all the picks we got when we traded down. (On an additional note, if we kept peyton for 2 years then we would keep him for 2 more because those last two years are much cheaper.)

Andrew Luck

Oh I get it...you're saying that we trade the #1 pick to whoever is at #2, and they take Barkley because Barkley will surpass Luck and be the top rated QB on draft day, and then with the #2 pick we got in the trade we take Luck. Well that's definitely a possibility...still not my preference but at least we'd still get the trade down and additional picks.

I'm assuming that's what you meant anyway since the premise of the thread is, "who do we draft after trading out of the #1 pick".

;)

Blackmon is the next T.O. except with less talent

Not really....He doesn't have an Ego like T.O, He's not immature unlike Dez Bryant and overall he can potentially be better than T.O. He's definitely not lacking talent and arguably is as talented as any W.O to come out of the draft in a while.

Trade down once more. WAS, CLE and SEA need QB badly and will try to get Matt Barkley or Robert Griffin. So we can have 1st round pick in between 5-8, 3 2nd round picks (our own, MIA, WAS or CLE or SEA), 2 3rd round picks (our own, MIA).

Take Zach Brown, LB, with the 1st pick (cut G. Brackett, move P. Angerer to MLB and K. Conner to SLB, resign P. Wheeler and E. Simms as a backups). Take M. Barron, SS, with the 1st of the 2nd round picks, Dwayne Allen, TE, with the 2nd of the 2nd round picks (resign J. Tamme), Stephon Gilmore, CB, with the 3rd of the 2nd round picks. Take Melvin Ingram, DE, with the 1st of the 3rd round picks (cut J. Hughes, E. Foster), Levy Adcock, OT, with the 2nd of the 3rd round picks (do not resign J. Saturday, move M. Pollak to C, resign R. Diem as insurance). Trade D. Clark and our 5th round pick for 3rd round pick and take Kevin Zeitler, G. Take Shaun Prater, CB, with the 4th round pick (cut J. Lacey).

HIRE HC AND DC.

who said that Miami will have a top 5 pick? do you see how good they are now? They will win 6-7 games this year.

As far as getting someone's 1st, 2nd, 4th rounds picks this year plus their 1st round next year. That is not enough for Andrew Luck. We can get more for him. The way they project Luck to be we can get Wayyy more.

Here is what we should demand:

1. Someones 2nd pick in the draft this year. None of that top 5 crap. 2ND PICK.

2. 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.

3. 1st and 4th round picks next year.

4. That teams best CB and SS.

I like Blackmom a ton. He's a Dez Bryant clone on the field. His combination of size and speed would make an immediate impact with a healthy Peyton. We could let Reggie walk (sad but not a bad idea) and Blackmon and Pierre would give us a nasty one/two punch.

If you let Reggie walk why didn't we trade him when it was the time. He must be worth a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.

Reggie would bring a fourth rounder at best because of his age. Nevertheless, the Colts will not pass on Luck. Can you imagine this conversation 13 years ago if we had traded the rights to draft Peyton Manning? Sure, at that time we didn't have a legend already on the roster, but really, Peyton has 2-3 good years left and we need to be thinking of the next 10-15.

blueblazes...we are thinking of the future, hence getting more picks to improve the team. but thats not what this thread is about. If we trade to the top 5 spot then they have to make a choice if they want to go O or D. If they go O they select Blackmon with that pick. If they want to go D, then they trade back again to the 8-12 range and grab Kirkpatrick or Claiborne.

We need max picks...

I'd trade NO.1 for two No.1s

..and I'd try to trade the No.33 overall for two No. 2s

We need major reconstruction surgery in the secondary

Mark.....if we trade that pick we gotta get a Pro Bowler at DT, OG or CB....PLUS two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks. That's my price for the #1 pick.

We need the trade to be as "bust proof" as possible.....and just getting draft picks is not enough IMO. I want one of our chronic needs at DT, OG or CB settled immediately out of any trade of the #1 pick.

The prospects we'd get in a trade down have just as much potential to bust as Luck does, and Polian has been substandard with his picks since 2007. IMO....the jury is out on our 2011 class.

So if another NFL team covets Andrew Luck highly.....they need to pay up big.