Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LaVon Brazill suspended for 1 year.

The Fish

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodie...another thread where people can express their political opinion by disguising it as a football discussion....and need to express some strong opinion about the illegality of weed.

There's nothing political about this thread.

See article from your own Indy Star sports writer Kravitz eight hours ago. It sums things up nicely.

First of all, Kravitz has never summed up anything "nicely".  Second, you do realize that the double standard he was writing about was the public's reaction to Irsay's arrest vs. Brazil's suspension.  Actually, I take that back you probably do not realize that.  The only issue I have with the Kravitz article is his assumption that Grigson is put in some sort of ethical dilemma.  Kravitz may not have noticed, but Grigson has no power to suspend or cut Irsay, while he does have that power over Brazil.

Just for some perspective, in the military right now if you fail just one drug test you will be stripped of rank, sent to military jail (for at least 30 days) and then be kicked out of the military after all that. Even if you are stationed in WA or CO.

Um, which branch?  I have had Soldiers under my command fail drug tests and much of the time it takes 6 to 8 months just to have their packets processed for discharge... No jail, no loss of rank. Just booted from the service with an "Other Than Honorable" discharge.  Maybe thats just the reserve side of it tho.

When you agree to play in the NFL you have to abide by the rules. He has failed 3 times know. He's an * and he got what he deserved.

I'm not going to have an argument over whether pot should be legal or not here. That's besides the point.

What's your opinion about Irsay then? He had a felony amount of painkillers and $29k in his pocket, driving and having a good time. Then we see guys like Ray Rice & Josh Gordon act like absolute clowns and make their organizations, and the NFL, look totally *ic.

After seeing all that you're willing to throw Brazill under the bus for pot? The guy never hurt anyone, it's a ludicrous, hypocritical punishment.

What's your opinion about Irsay then? He had a felony amount of painkillers and $29k in his pocket, driving and having a good time. Then we see guys like Ray Rice & Josh Gordon act like absolute clowns and make their organizations, and the NFL, look totally *ic.

After seeing all that you're willing to throw Brazill under the bus for pot? The guy never hurt anyone, it's a ludicrous, hypocritical punishment.

Yes, I'm willing to throw Brazill under the bus; rather, he has thrown himself under the bus. He was already punished twice for smoking pot while in the NFL and yet he still went out and smoked pot again, knowing full well it would result in a year suspension.

I have zero sympathy for him.

Yes, I'm willing to throw Brazill under the bus; rather, he has thrown himself under the bus. He was already punished twice for smoking pot in the NFL and yet he still went out and smoked pot again, knowing full well it would result in a year suspension.

I have zero sympathy for him.

I think the worst thing for me is Brazill came on strong at the end of last year.  We then bring in Nicks and Moncrief.  His Colts career is on the line....and poof....he made a mockery of his chance yet again.

Does he deserve rehab?  Yes.  I simply cannot understand anyone that throws chances down the toilet...it really pisses me off because I would have played for nothing to hit those guys!

Blair White moved the chains. Austin Collie moved chains. Anthony Gonzalez moved the chains. Griff Whalen is the same player. Just because you get first downs doesn't make you a good player.

Blair White - No he didn't

Austin Collie - Great Wr derailed by concussions

Anthony Gonzalez - Very good receiver derailed by injuries.

And yes, getting first downs is one of the things that makes a good WR.  Precise route running, reliable hands and quick acceleration are others... Whalen has them all.

The two situations are completely different.

1) Lavon Brazill needs to be able to play on Sundays in order to be a productive member of the team. This suspension makes him unavailable to play. It also highlights his unreliability moving forward.

2) Irsay's situation is being dealt with by the league, but he's not subject to the league's substance abuse policy, the way Brazill is. He isn't required to be drug tested, he can use recreational drugs at his own discretion, setting aside the legality of the matter. That doesn't mean what Irsay did is okay, nor does it mean that people don't have reservations about his judgment. Most people agree that Irsay should get a big time fine and suspension.

3) Brazill is subject to the league's substance abuse policy. His punishment was predetermined by means of collective bargaining and negotiations. He knew, in advance, what the punishment would be if he failed another drug test. He even acknowledged it after his previous violation. Perhaps the punishment is heavy-handed, but we're not really talking about reforming the substance abuse policy. We're talking about not running afoul of it when you know half a million dollars -- and probably your career -- are on the line.

Given that Irsays two chargers are misdemeanors and not felony's I'm not sure if your comment about "felony amount" is correct.

Second,  having 29k is not illegal.

Third,  driving and having a good time?    You make it sound like he was going on a joy ride....   the man was stopped doing.............      10 miles an hour.    I'm not even sure your air bags deploy at that speed.

The man is going to get suspended.    The only question is.....   for how long?

The man is going to be fined.               The only question is....    how much?

The man is going to be seriously embarrassed.    Public shaming is not insignificant to a man in his position within the NFL and the state of Indiana.

First of all, Kravitz has never summed up anything "nicely".  Second, you do realize that the double standard he was writing about was the public's reaction to Irsay's arrest vs. Brazil's suspension.  Actually, I take that back you probably do not realize that.  The only issue I have with the Kravitz article is his assumption that Grigson is put in some sort of ethical dilemma.  Kravitz may not have noticed, but Grigson has no power to suspend or cut Irsay, while he does have that power over Brazil.

Certainly, I see it in all it's glory here. It's not even about who has suspension power, we all know the league has it. It's about leadership setting the standards for a franchise. That is the credibility gap.

Pretty ridiculous punishment for a little Mary Jane. (Which I assume it was since he said it was last time)

While I agree, it is a term of employment & many of us here in Indy are subject to randoms only were a lil smarter than some  . 

He should of learned . Last year  the rules are the rules period, for everybody in the NFL .  Truthfully I personally advise studying for the test " the Monkey Flask " works excellent ,

2 years 2 positive tests i believe the dude should be tested again for common sense .

Certainly, I see it in all it's glory here. It's not even about who has suspension power, we all know the league has it. It's about leadership setting the standards for a franchise. That is the credibility gap.

There is no "credibility gap" whatsoever.  The league, as you have said, has the power.  They have suspended Brazil and they will have some sort of punishment Irsay once the legal system has taken it's course.  Irsay has a substance abuse problem, so does Brazil it would seem.  Both need to get whatever help they need to overcome those problems.  One can know that doing drugs is wrong, but still be unable to beat the physical addictions that opiates can have.

The man is going to be seriously embarrassed.    Public shaming is not insignificant to a man in his position within the NFL and the state of Indiana.

Embarrassed ?  Going to be ?   That ship has sailed & IMO he is looking forward to getting it over with ..

Public Shaming  :spit:  That is hilarious his problems are personal & thankfully no one was injured while he was on the road, he must overcome his demons for him & his family & his well paid legal team will drag this out till they get the best deal possible just like anyone else . 

Lots of Hoosiers fight substance abuse & bounce back no public shaming needed . Inner strength & family & friends can work miracles. 1 minute 1 hour 1 day at a time .

Embarrassed ?  Going to be ?   That ship has sailed & IMO he is looking forward to getting it over with ..

Public Shaming  :spit:  That is hilarious his problems are personal & thankfully no one was injured while he was on the road, he must overcome his demons for him & his family & his well paid legal team will drag this out till they get the best deal possible just like anyone else . 

Lots of Hoosiers fight substance abuse & bounce back no public shaming needed . Inner strength & family & friends can work miracles. 1 minute 1 hour 1 day at a time .

His well paid legal team have nothing to do with Roger Goodell and the NFL.

And the longer this plays out legally,  the worse it looks for Irsay.

The public shaming aspect is for those who want the Colts punished by stripping the team of draft picks.    Their argument is that just fining the man and suspending him means nothing to him.    He's a billionaire.   

The public shaming comes with potentially being the owner fined the largest amount in the history of the NFL and perhaps being suspended for as long as a year.     Those are headlines that no owner wants attached to his name.

Public shaming is a perception.   I'm hoping Irsay takes it to heart.   I hope being suspended for a long time and being prevented from attending games and being inside the team's facility will eat at him,  hurt him personally.   Will serve as a motivation for the incident not to happen again.

If the league thinks the fine and the suspension aren't enough to get Irsay to change his behavior then they might consider taking draft picks away from the Colts.    That's something Irsay and the Colts and the fans don't want to happen.

Blair White - No he didn't

Austin Collie - Great Wr derailed by concussions

Anthony Gonzalez - Very good receiver derailed by injuries.

And yes, getting first downs is one of the things that makes a good WR.  Precise route running, reliable hands and quick acceleration are others... Whalen has them all.

Blair White's Career Stats through two seasons, technically only played one though. He recorded no receptions his second year. (He was undrafted, just like Whalen)

Receptions 36 Receiving yards 355 Receiving average 9.9 Receiving TDs 5

Griff Whalen's Career stats through his first two years, again technically only one season as his rookie season he was hampered by a foot injury. 

Receptions 24 Receiving yards 259 Receiving average 10.8 Receiving TDs 2

Whalen played on a team with ONE WR threat when Wayne went down and still couldn't rack up stats. White played with Garcon, Wayne and Clark. These two guys are a lot more similar than you think.

Gonzalez was junk. He missed one pass and hurt his knee in what, two consecutive years? Its bad when Bob Sanders has a better health record than you do. 

Collie was ok, but he suffered too many concussions. 

At the end of the day, they're all the same receiver. Wes Welker light.

Just for some perspective, in the military right now if you fail just one drug test you will be stripped of rank, sent to military jail (for at least 30 days) and then be kicked out of the military after all that. Even if you are stationed in WA or CO.

You will not be stripped of rank or do time for weed. You will get a general discharge and lose some benefits though.

well this kind of solves are reciving computation for the last few spots on the team.

are: 2nd person singular present and 1st, 2nd, 3rd person plural present of be.

our: relating to or belonging to us : made or done by us

I think you wanted to use the second...

Brazil = spit for brains!

The triple standard :

The Owner: apparently did nothing wrong , full support.

The Defensive End: an apology , and full support because of a lot of sacks.

The four string receiver : throw the bum out, spit for brains.

Yes, it's glaring.

Wow, you could not be more wrong.  However, I am fairly certain that no matter what I type you would be incapable of seeing just how incorrect you are.  You might want to look up the word hypocrisy in the dictionary and then take a peek into the closest mirror.

I think the worst thing for me is Brazill came on strong at the end of last year.  We then bring in Nicks and Moncrief.  His Colts career is on the line....and poof....he made a mockery of his chance yet again.

Does he deserve rehab?  Yes.  I simply cannot understand anyone that throws chances down the toilet...it really pisses me off because I would have played for nothing to hit those guys!

Yes Brother im disgusted as well ,and you know I loved Brazils potential on field.Rehab what ? Bad decision making? Pot is not addicting lol his problem is thought process or lack of.Although I hate it ,for talent to go to waste hes the only one to blame,unless lol hes a glaucoma patient ,

Blair White's Career Stats through two seasons, technically only played one though. He recorded no receptions his second year. (He was undrafted, just like Whalen)

Receptions 36 Receiving yards 355 Receiving average 9.9 Receiving TDs 5

Griff Whalen's Career stats through his first two years, again technically only one season as his rookie season he was hampered by a foot injury. 

Receptions 24 Receiving yards 259 Receiving average 10.8 Receiving TDs 2

Whalen played on a team with ONE WR threat when Wayne went down and still couldn't rack up stats. White played with Garcon, Wayne and Clark. These two guys are a lot more similar than you think.

Gonzalez was junk. He missed one pass and hurt his knee in what, two consecutive years? Its bad when Bob Sanders has a better health record than you do. 

Collie was ok, but he suffered too many concussions. 

At the end of the day, they're all the same receiver. Wes Welker light.

Funny you mention Blair White stats and Whalen's stats but then just a generic Gonzo was junk.  In two years (7 starts 29 games) he had 94 receptions for 1,240 yards and 7 TDs on a team with Harrison, Wayne, Clark and Addai out of the backfield.  Far from junk.  Yes, he had injury problems, that is what I said.  Collie was better than ok, Collie was leading the league in receptions and yards and still getting better every game before his season was derailed with a concussion.

They are not all the same receiver.  Blair White is the worst of the bunch, Whalen is far better than him, on about the same level as Gonzo but not nearly as good as Collie was pre-concussion.  Whalen is a guy that, if given the opportunity, will get you 35-45 receptions a year, 450-600 yards and 4-5 tds.  You really can't ask for much more than that out of a 3rd or 4th WR.  Brazill had as yet shown the ability to produce at that level.

The triple standard :

The Owner: apparently did nothing wrong , full support.

The Defensive End: an apology , and full support because of a lot of sacks.

The four string receiver : throw the bum out, spit for brains.

Yes, it's glaring.

1.  I think you would be hard pressed to find many people on this board to say Irsay did nothing wrong.

2.  Again, most fans on this board, while not happy about his suspension, but realize that whether intentionally or our of ignorance broke the rules and is being punished accordingly.

3.  It's not a first offense for him, it's his third which shows stupidity on his part.

It's not a triple standard, it's not even a double standard (it would be if your lies were true but they are not).  It's looking at each situation individually.

Now, what would be a double standard is saying something like.  Irsay should be punished by the league to the fullest extent, while supporting a team that didn't discipline their running back for beating up a woman, which any man that beats up a woman is one of the lowest forms of men around.

Yes Brother im disgusted as well ,and you know I loved Brazils potential on field.Rehab what ? Bad decision making? Pot is not addicting lol his problem is thought process or lack of.Although I hate it ,for talent to go to waste hes the only one to blame,unless lol hes a glaucoma patient ,

I think one point that many may dismiss is; Maybe some of these guys don't really want the NFL life. Not to be inflammatory, but the lifestyle of an NFL player would certainly feel akin to indentured servitude if one wasn't really enjoying such responsibility. 

I think we, as outsiders, oft times underestimate the all encompassing stress of being an NFL player. All we think of, being the greedy little Americans we are, is the money and fortunes lost. When in reality, many folks don't care to be multi-millionaires. They may be far happier selling insurance for $60k a year. 

1.  I think you would be hard pressed to find many people on this board to say Irsay did nothing wrong.

You'll also be hard pressed to find many here that want him thrown out, as many do with Brazill. 

I think when we compare the two actions, Irsay's offense is a bit worse. He could've killed someone driving in such a state. Meanwhile, the only thing that Brazill hurt, was his career. 

I think one point that many may dismiss is; Maybe some of these guys don't really want the NFL life. Not to be inflammatory, but the lifestyle of an NFL player would certainly feel akin to indentured servitude if one wasn't really enjoying such responsibility. 

I think we, as outsiders, oft times underestimate the all encompassing stress of being an NFL player. All we think of, being the greedy little Americans we are, is the money and fortunes lost. When in reality, many folks don't care to be multi-millionaires. They may be far happier selling insurance for $60k a year. 

I remember how so many players have actually been 'lost' when their careers are over.  Everything is so regimented when they are in season, and then they retire etc. they do not have organization....they are indeed 'lost.'  Same thing in the off season....

I do not feel sorry for them of course, but that IS how it IS!

Maybe I am simple minded.. had too many concussions... or am just a dumb grunt but I don't get what all the debate is about.

Brazill broke the rules (for the 3rd time) and was punished accordingly based upon guidelines agreed on by the NFLPA and the NFL.

Robert Mathis broke the rules (For the first time, as far as we know) and was punished accordingly based upn guidelines agreed on by the NFLPA and the NFL. 

What is the debate about again?  Seems pretty straight forward to me. Each player punished based upon their particular violation of the rules.

My only question would be are the Colts going to cut Brazill or retain him for next year?

You'll also be hard pressed to find many here that want him thrown out, as many do with Brazill. 

I think when we compare the two actions, Irsay's offense is a bit worse. He could've killed someone driving in such a state. Meanwhile, the only thing that Brazill hurt, was his career. 

Will not argue against that point,but it is what it is.Didnt say or insuate I want him thrown out or would I but its the nature of the beast in the NFL.

I have no problem if he gets punished to the fullest extent of the law.  But, despite what the NBA is trying to do, the law nor the league can throw someone out of a business they own.

As far as the worst thing Brazill did, you may be correct, but it's just speculation on your part.  No one knows what he did while he was high (assuming of course his third infraction is for the same thing). 

Maybe I am simple minded.. had too many concussions... or am just a dumb grunt but I don't get what all the debate is about.

Brazill broke the rules (for the 3rd time) and was punished accordingly based upon guidelines agreed on by the NFLPA and the NFL.

Robert Mathis broke the rules (For the first time, as far as we know) and was punished accordingly based upn guidelines agreed on by the NFLPA and the NFL. 

What is the debate about again?  Seems pretty straight forward to me. Each player punished based upon their particular violation of the rules.

My only question would be are the Colts going to cut Brazill or retain him for next year?

I think you have to manage the team with your head and not your heart.  So that having been said I think we will keep him for next year even if we are angry for him being stupid and not being available for this season.  In a way this helps us because it allows us to hold onto the rights of a receiver without rostering him or paying him.  Considering we are really deep at receiver this year but have 2 receivers who's contracts are up after this year, that's probably a good thing.

But that having been said there is no way around this.  Brazil is damaged goods, he's an ok receiver with a lot of speed, but now he's also one that is a big time suspension risk.  You can't depend on him to be there in any given year because during the off-season he'll be out smoking weed and then failing a drug test.

He's worse then a player who's constantly injured because he causes you to lose him through his own actions.

So I say yes keep him. But he's on really thin ice.  If you happen upon a player who can even come close to matching his talent then you take that guy and dump Brazil just because that guy doesn't have the weed suspensions.  

So it would not surprise me if some UDFA or late round draft pick beats out Brazil in training camp in 2015.  But I do think he'll be in camp in 2015, he just may not make the roster.

And he's damaged both his trade value and his value as a free agent.  If we had cut him this year, another team might have picked him up.  But if he gets cut next year, it's unlikely that would happen now.  

As far as the worst thing Brazill did, you may be correct, but it's just speculation on your part.  No one knows what he did while he was high (assuming of course his third infraction is for the same thing). 

I hearing rumors that he murdered the pizza buffet at Cici's. Tragic, a Mediterranean pizza was left with only it's crust, a blood-red trail of pizza sauce led back to Brazill's northside home. 

The horrors of marijuana abuse are no laughing matter. Well....you have to ignore the uproarious laughter, but beyond the laughter, it's not a funny matter at all. 

No question what Irsay did was worse.

To me, the difference is that Brazill devalued himself tremendously. He can't play for a year. Until 2015, he's essentially a waste of a roster spot. That's the only reason I think we should cut him. Not out of some sense of right and wrong, not sanctimony or moral judgment, but because he can't step on the field and catch passes for us.

Players get cut when they lose value all the time. In Brazill's case, he has made himself unreliable moving forward. To me, cutting him makes sense. It's not an issue of moral judgment.

No question what Irsay did was worse.

To me, the difference is that Brazill devalued himself tremendously. He can't play for a year. Until 2015, he's essentially a waste of a roster spot. That's the only reason I think we should cut him. Not out of some sense of right and wrong, not sanctimony or moral judgment, but because he can't step on the field and catch passes for us.

Players get cut when they lose value all the time. In Brazill's case, he has made himself unreliable moving forward. To me, cutting him makes sense. It's not an issue of moral judgment.

I agree he should be cut loose. It can be all too easy for people to talk back 'n' forth about an ancillary player like Brazill. Imagine if Luck did this to us? 

So ...yeah. So long as it's a rule, the rule should be obeyed. I disagree that the penalty should be so severe, but it is what it is. 

I agree he should be cut loose. It can be all too easy for people to talk back 'n' forth about an ancillary player like Brazill. Imagine if Luck did this to us? 

So ...yeah. So long as it's a rule, the rule should be obeyed. I disagree that the penalty should be so severe, but it is what it is. 

The league is talking about reducing the penalties for marijuana usage, but until then, these are the penalties. Brazill knew that; it's hard to feel sorry for him. He acknowledged his situation last year, and still messed up.

I can't imagine Luck failing ONE drug test, much less three, in the course of two years. When is the last time any starting QB was suspended for anything by the NFL? That would be a big freaking deal...

I can't imagine Luck failing ONE drug test, much less three, in the course of two years. When is the last time any starting QB was suspended for anything by the NFL? That would be a big freaking deal...

My head would pop like an engorged tick. 

The league is talking about reducing the penalties for marijuana usage, but until then, these are the penalties. Brazill knew that; it's hard to feel sorry for him. He acknowledged his situation last year, and still messed up.

I really don't feel sorry for him at all. I feel for the team. I feel for Grigson, who could've picked someone else that wasn't going to write his own rules. Hey, I quit smoking for 2 years for a warehousing job. I'm sure Brazill could quit for a few years to make millions. 

That's what irritates me about these players smoking like they do. The average career is what.......like 3.3 years if memory serves me correctly. So....make millions and smoke like a chimney for the rest of your life. I just don't get it. 

I'm sure it would be nice to have a puff going into a day off, in the middle of a long season, body reeling from the abuse of the game, mind numb from the focus, soul stretched from the stress. 

But ya know what I think would be really nice? Millions of dollars. I mean, If I'm that stressed and I have millions of dollars, I'm rubbing Benjamins all over my sexy body. Feels good, I'm sure.