Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LaVon Brazill suspended for 1 year.

The Fish

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out for the year, but deserves a chance. The guy needs help staying clean and knowing priorities. We've all made mistakes more than once. The kid deserves a chance. Don't know if it will be here. Best of Luck to him though. Very talent young man.

This was his third failed test, at least. Kind of hard to talk about deserving a chance. What's he going to do with it that he hasn't done with the previous chances?

The Colts actually lucked out that this happened now. I would be * if this happened during the season with Whalen on another team. No, it is not addictive and is a stupid rule, but it is a rule for now.

Tell that to my burned out pothead friends who have smoked themselves back to the first grade.

interesting

Unless released he will count against the 90 until the Cut Downs when he will be moved to the suspended list

Let me explain my thinking, and anyone can correct me if I'm totally off base.  If he doesn't count towards our 53 man roster after we move him to the suspended list, doesn't that allow us to keep him under contract for this year, basically for free?  We were going to lose a decent WR this year anyway; doesn't this solve that problem?  We can keep him plus Rogers plus Whalen! 

I was going to like this, because I like your thinking. Then I saw the word "supposably."

Ehhhh too be fair anything can be addictive. An Oreo can be addictive if your mind says you cant go on without it and people have a hard time breaking away from something that makes you feel good. But this is another story for a non football forum

Won't even be a Colt next season so maybe another team grabs him

Why?  We can stash him on the suspended list, not pay him, and keep the rights to him for next year when Reggie and Hakeem are no longer under contract.  He costs us almost literally nothing at this point.

I'm not really sure what to say- I mean, I had Brazill over Whalen when it came to raw talent.

Not that either of those players would be phenoms anyway, they were solidly entrenched as (5?) 6 and 7. 

Nicks

Hilton

Wayne (As much as I hate to say it.)

Rogers 

Moncrief 

Whalen

Why? We can stash him on the suspended list, not pay him, and keep the rights to him for next year when Reggie and Hakeem are no longer under contract. He costs us almost literally nothing at this point.

@pwilson24: #Colts WR LaVon Brazill is signed through 2015. Forfeits $570,000 in salary this season. It's a third offense. Yes, Colts could cut him.

I don't care how good he is, how high his ceiling is, or how much he cost.

Knuckleheads have no spots on/in this franchise. We're building a monster, not a detention center

:colts:

Ehhhh too be fair anything can be addictive. An Oreo can be addictive if your mind says you cant go on without it and people have a hard time breaking away from something that makes you feel good. But this is another story for a non football forum

It's a conversation for a non-correct forum. Some things are more addictive that others.... such as things that contain brain stimulants. That's a major reason for the lack of Oreo addiction epidemics in major US cities.

Why?  We can stash him on the suspended list, not pay him, and keep the rights to him for next year when Reggie and Hakeem are no longer under contract.  He costs us almost literally nothing at this point.

It would cost a roster spot next year. At this point, Brazill is a major risk. We are better off giving that roster spot to someone who 'gets it' and can be relied upon and contribute. Plus, the NFL is littered with guys that have talent and high ceilings, who never realize their talent. What separates them and the successful guys is their mentality. Brazill doesn't know what a golden opportunity he had, and now, maybe lost.

It would cost a roster spot. At this point, Brazill is a major risk. We are better off giving that roster spot to someone who 'gets it' and can be relied upon and contribute. Plus, the NFL is littered with guys that have talent and high ceilings, who never realize their talent. What separates them and the successful guys is their mentality. Brazill doesn't know what a golden opportunity he had, and now, maybe lost.

Suspended players don't count towards roster spots.  He doesn't cost us money (forfeited salary), doesn't cost us a roster spot (stashed on suspended list), has a year to clean up his act, and he can still practice and get better.  Why not keep him?

Sooo...  Does he count towards our 53 man roster?

You are new to this one must figure.

No one counts against the 53 man roster until we cut to the 53 man roster. HUH! Go figure.

Few of the SALARIES are guaranteed unless you make the 53 man roster. Must be why the players want guaranteed signing bonuses. Yip, sure is.

Suspended players don't count towards roster spots.  He doesn't cost us money (forfeited salary), doesn't cost us a roster spot (stashed on suspended list), has a year to clean up his act.  Why not keep him?

I corrected that right after I posted. You are right, I was referring to 2015.

My point is, When Wayne, and maybe Nicks are gone next year, I would not want to be in a position to give Brazill a roster spot over someone that can be relied upon. We will need to replenish that part of our roster, and in my opinion, it would be better to look at someone else. Brazill has burned a bridge as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I'm just a rock star and just a fan-- just my opinion.

Suspended players don't count towards roster spots. He doesn't cost us money (forfeited salary), doesn't cost us a roster spot (stashed on suspended list), has a year to clean up his act, and he can still practice and get better. Why not keep him?

"Why not keep him?"

IT'S HIS 3RD STRIKE!!!!

How many times do you need to get right?

It's a conversation for a non-correct forum. Some things are more addictive that others.... such as things that contain brain stimulants. That's a major reason for the lack of Oreo addiction epidemics in major US cities.

Just playing devil's advocate. This is not an addiction- if it were an addiction, he would've been on his third strike long before being in the league for two years. My more possible theory is that he was probably partying and drunk and someone offered him a joint. Mind you, I'm not in any way saying it wasn't his fault- he's still an * for doing this- and I'm not standing behind Brazill like I will stand behind Mathis and say that the punishment isn't crap coated in crap with a side of crap. The dude smoked weed, but some folks are talking like he shot three guys and a semi-pro football player or operated a dog-fighting ring, or sexually assaulted a woman, or bullied and harassed another guy in the locker room, or shot himself in the leg, or DUI manslaughter, or kidnapping.

Josh Gordon got the year ban for the same thing- guess what, he will be back with the Browns next year. Brazill should not be cut- especially when we are losing one and possibly two of our best WRs at season's end. 

(Aaron Hernandez, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Incognito, Plaxico, Donte Stallworth, OJ Simpson in that order.)

Brazill just wasn`t a football junkie. Said he never watched it growing up. Not uncommon for so many i understand.
 Do you still  wonder why he could only run maybe 3 routes of the tree? lol  

Hopefully his body is healthy and he doesn`t make the news in a bad way someday.

Plenty more we he came from.

Just playing devil's advocate. This is not an addiction- if it were an addiction, he would've been on his third strike long before being in the league for two years. My more possible theory is that he was probably partying and drunk and someone offered him a joint. Mind you, I'm not in any way saying it wasn't his fault- he's still an * for doing this- and I'm not standing behind Brazill like I will stand behind Mathis and say that the punishment isn't crap coated in crap with a side of crap. The dude smoked weed, but some folks are talking like he shot three guys and a semi-pro football player or operated a dog-fighting ring, or sexually assaulted a woman, or bullied and harassed another guy in the locker room, or shot himself in the leg, or DUI manslaughter, or kidnapping.

Josh Gordon got the year ban for the same thing- guess what, he will be back with the Browns next year. Brazill should not be cut- especially when we are losing one and possibly two of our best WRs at season's end. 

(Aaron Hernandez, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Incognito, Plaxico, Donte Stallworth, OJ Simpson in that order.)

As an addendum to my previous list.

Brazill did not swim naked in the broad ripple canal with a BAC double the legal limit to drive either.

I'm not really sure what to say- I mean, I had Brazill over Whalen when it came to raw talent.

Not that either of those players would be phenoms anyway, they were solidly entrenched as (5?) 6 and 7. 

Nicks

Hilton

Wayne (As much as I hate to say it.)

Rogers 

Moncrief 

Whalen

If by "raw talent" you mean mean a little more physically gifted in terms of size and speed, then yeah. But to me, talent is the realization of potential. And right now, Whalen fits the bill more than Brazill, especially in the hands department. The Colts need receivers who are dependable and who can hold on to the ball. All the "raw talent" in the world doesn't matter if it doesn't move the chains.

Suspended players don't count towards roster spots.  He doesn't cost us money (forfeited salary), doesn't cost us a roster spot (stashed on suspended list), has a year to clean up his act, and he can still practice and get better.  Why not keep him?

Because he's a dummy. He keeps making the same mistake. I don't think he can be counted on, and moving forward, it doesn't make sense to make room on a 53 man roster for him if he can be kicked out at any given moment.

Right now, his spot on the roster is one that can be used to promote competition somewhere else, and maybe develop another young player. I think it makes sense to drop him right now. It's not a major deal, either way, but I can't be excited about his ability or his future.

If by "raw talent" you mean mean a little more physically gifted in terms of size and speed, then yeah. But to me, talent is the realization of potential. And right now, Whalen fits the bill more than Brazill, especially in the hands department. The Colts need receivers who are dependable and who can hold on to the ball. All the "raw talent" in the world doesn't matter if it doesn't move the chains.

We are also debating the talent of a #6 Wide Receiver. 

LaVon Brazill is marginally better than Griff Whalen- and much better than Blair White. He's no Reggie Wayne and he never will be.