Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone Else think the Jaguars are the Team to Watch in our Division?

Defjamz26

So much talk about the Texans potential with Clowney, Watt, and Nix on the line.  Or the Titans if Whisenhunt can get a actual QB. I think the Jaguars are really the team to watch in our division.  Bortles is a potential franchise guy, and he already has a nice arsenal in Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, and Cecil Shorts. Then they get Colvin to stash away for a year, but could start opposite of Gratz next season to form a formidable secondary.

Their D-Line is interesting too. They signed Chris Clemons and Ziggy Hood to play with Jason Babin. They also got Chris Smith late in the draft. Could be a very decent line soon. At least  we don't have to worry about MJD running all over us anymore

I think the Titans will continue to be scrubs and the Texans aren't going to be able to put any points on the board, regardless of who starts at QB. I'm the most worried about the Jaguars long-term. They could be a legit contender by next season.

Jaguars long term future's arrow is definitely pointing up. Bortles can't be much worse than Gabbert or Henne. Cecil Shorts is baller status, so if Blackmon can get his head on straight and get reinstated, they could have a great WR duo. 

That said, I think their defense will be more impressive than their offense. Gus Bradley is slowly building his own monster. 

Jason Babin is 34 years old. I don't think he's the long term answer for them. I think the Jags have some nice young players but I really don't think Bortles is the answer. He had the benefit of being the most pro-ready QB in a sub-par class. Blackmon may never get it together. If people on this forum think that Davis isn't a #1 corner then there is no way that Gratz is. Joeckel has to stay healthy. Is Gerhardt really a #1 RB? Way too many question marks for me.

Yeah I agree, Jacksonville is a team on the rise. I look for them to win 5, 6, or 7 games this year and get better as the year goes along. I believe Bortles will be a really good QB, and he has weapons like Robinson, Lee, and Shorts to throw to. Plus Lewis at TE. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Blackmon, but if they get him back their that much better. Even without him though they could have a top 5 receiving corps in the league in a year or so. The Texans have a lot of great players but have no QB IMO, so I'm not worried about them for a while.

They have a lot of potential but it's gonna take a while for the young guys (Bortles, Lee, Robinson, and Shorts) to connect together. if that receiver group is big time and Bortles is at least average, that D could elevate them to the playoffs in a couple years. It's all potential for now though.

The Texans and Titans are coming..... Not yet but but in a couple years they will be competing! This could be a very good competitive division in 3 or 4 years if the Colts can keep everyone together and the other teams keep growing..

I'm most worried about the Texans though! They showed for 2 years that they could compete with the Colts. (Although Folts did have a bad year or 2) but I feel the Texans played a little bit of give up on the season to get the #1 pick! I think that they are the team to watch out for if your a Colts fan! But obviously as a Colts fan we are going to continue to win the division every year! (May be a little biased)

Jason Babin is 34 years old. I don't think he's the long term answer for them. I think the Jags have some nice young players but I really don't think Bortles is the answer. He had the benefit of being the most pro-ready QB in a sub-par class. Blackmon may never get it together. If people on this forum think that Davis isn't a #1 corner then there is no way that Gratz is. Joeckel has to stay healthy. Is Gerhardt really a #1 RB? Way too many question marks for me.

I'm under the impression Blackmon is done with them. The GM basically said so.

I don't think so. Houston will be the one to watch this season in our division. Titans are hit and miss like any other year.

Houston lacks offensive talent though. Foster an Johnson are slowing down

I don't know about team to watch........

But I think all three other franchises are going to be much improved this year.

Perhaps not 8-8,  but certainly better.   

And I think so because I think all three have very good head coaches.    It all starts there.  

I won't even be shocked if we lose a game in our conference this year....   surprised, perhaps, but not shocked.

Just thinking out loud.......

I think all 3 will improve. I think we may be in the new nfc west. We could have won our division by just being over 500. We had the weakest division. If u look back just a few years the nfc west was the worst div in football. I think at one point the cards clinched the division with like 7 wins. Now they r prolly the toughest div in football. I feel our afc south may be in a similar swing

I don't know about team to watch........

But I think all three other franchises are going to be much improved this year.

Perhaps not 8-8,  but certainly better.   

And I think so because I think all three have very good head coaches.    It all starts there.  

I won't even be shocked if we lose a game in our conference this year....   surprised, perhaps, but not shocked.

Just thinking out loud.......

IDK about Whisenhunt though. His run in Arizona was ruined because of how badly he botched the QB situation. He's already said publicly he doesn't need to draft his own QB, which could be a bad sign unless he has plans for Mettenberger.

IDK about Whisenhunt though. His run in Arizona was ruined because of how badly he botched the QB situation. He's already said publicly he doesn't need to draft his own QB, which could be a bad sign unless he has plans for Mettenberger.

I'm sorry,  you lost me.....

Whisenhunt botched the QB situation?     Are you talking about Leinart/Warner?

I'm sorry,  you lost me.....

Whisenhunt botched the QB situation?     Are you talking about Leinart/Warner?

No one knew Leinart would bust, but he failed to find a suitable QB for his last years. The Kevin Kolb experiment blew up in his face, and the back and forth with Skelton was laughable. Then there was Ryan Lindley.....He even came out in a press conference and apologized for the QB situation. A reporter asked him what the plans for QB were and he jokingly replied "IDK, do you play?".

If he hasn't learned from his time in Arizona, than the Titans are nothing to worry about.

Well, it all depends on how much you believe in Bortles.

I am not sold on him and if they are not going to start him this year and have Henne start, I am not sure Henne is the answer either this year. Bortles will still be a project in year 2. 2016 season is when we will truly see the Jags challenging, IMO.

Houston, however, has the running game and OL plus a D to ease in a rookie QB. They'd probably start Tom Savage earlier than the Jags will start Bortles and I think it will pay dividends for them quicker, you never gauge the speed of the game sitting on the sidelines for a year unless it is for several years but then stories like Aaron Rodgers don't happen too often in this rookie salary cap era.

I'm thinking Houston is still a bigger threat as long as they have Arian Foster, that OL scheme for the run game, and that D going, which I think they will.

No one knew Leinart would bust, but he failed to find a suitable QB for his last years. The Kevin Kolb experiment blew up in his face, and the back and forth with Skelton was laughable. Then there was Ryan Lindley.....He even came out in a press conference and apologized for the QB situation. A reporter asked him what the plans for QB were and he jokingly replied "IDK, do you play?".

If he hasn't learned from his time in Arizona, than the Titans are nothing to worry about.

You realize he was the coach, and not the GM.

All of those decisions are not made in a vacuum.

And let's not forget he took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and were within a minute of winning.

Plenty of coaches have learned from their mistakes and gotten better their next time around.   Whisenhunt was wanted by more than just Tennessee.    I'm not predicting greatness for him,  but I think he should be a solid coach.   And I think there's some serious talent on that roster.

You realize he was the coach, and not the GM.

All of those decisions are not made in a vacuum.

And let's not forget he took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and were within a minute of winning.

Plenty of coaches have learned from their mistakes and gotten better their next time around.   Whisenhunt was wanted by more than just Tennessee.    I'm not predicting greatness for him,  but I think he should be a solid coach.   And I think there's some serious talent on that roster.

But most QB duties are left to the HC, not he GM. It was Whisenhunt who decided to release Leinhart and sign Derek Anderson. The HC has control of the QB depth chart. They also get a say into what QB is drafted. Like I said though, we'll see if there are plans for Mettenberger because that seems like a pick he made.

Which ever team can find a QB will be the team to watch. I think talent wise they are all building. They have had enough draft picks that is for sure. I think Houston is our biggest threat. 

Not so sure Foster is carrying the Texans anymore back surgery can't be good. It will be interesting how O'Brien uses him. He passes to the back a lot will that be Foster? Fantasy implications.... He has Fitzpatrick doing it.... I guess that is who they are going with?

Locker and Henne I don't think are playoff caliber QB's and I am not sold Bortles will light the league up.  

It should still be our division.

I have to see it to believe it with any of our division rivals this coming season. I think the Houston schedule looks pretty easy though so they could improve more then I expect just based on that. But, I don't think they will make enough improvements to be a playoff contender, not sure who the QB really is going to be yet, the HC is unproven and Andre sounds frustrated with the uncertainty. Even Reggie Wayne sounded optimistic before the 2012 season.....I think like many of us he knew the potential Andrew Luck had at QB and that he was not going to be playing with another project at QB post Manning like he did in 2011. And he also loved Pagano.

Like with any "up and coming" team the draft will tell the whole story and sometimes that can take a few years or more to deliver concrete results. But, in our division we do have doable enough schedules as a whole to get better.

I just only have real hopes on the Colts and not just because I am a Colts fan. We are the only ones with a proven commodity at QB and our team should be better on offense getting back some key pieces. Losing Mathis for 4 games will hurt and week 1 is going to be difficult but it's not impossible either based on our team as a whole which KNOWS how to win and close games. Our division rivals need to learn to win too, they blow a lot of games they could have. The fine line between winning and losing close games is huge in this league.

The Kevin Kolb experiment only blew up in his face in the sense that Kolb couldn't stay healthy. That's not Whisenhunt's fault. 

I actually think Whisenhunt is a pretty good coach. A lot of people give all the credit to Kurt Warner, but Warner initially struggled in Arizona with Denny Green, and that's after three or four bad years with the Rams and the Giants. I think Whisenhunt was as good for Warner as Warner was for Whisenhunt.

The Kevin Kolb experiment only blew up in his face in the sense that Kolb couldn't stay healthy. That's not Whisenhunt's fault. 

I actually think Whisenhunt is a pretty good coach. A lot of people give all the credit to Kurt Warner, but Warner initially struggled in Arizona with Denny Green, and that's after three or four bad years with the Rams and the Giants. I think Whisenhunt was as good for Warner as Warner was for Whisenhunt.

He also did a great job with Philip Rivers last season who many had thought had lost it, including myself.

He also did a great job with Philip Rivers last season who many had thought had lost it, including myself.

I thought that was more McCoy than Whisenhunt. Wasn't it McCoy who changed the playbook and gave him more 3 step drop backs that got the ball out of his hand quicker? And they drafted Fluker who helped their pass protection a lot. It seemed Rivers didn't have to chuck the ball down the field (as is common in a Norv Turner offense) as much. There was a lot of catch and run stuff in San Diego, which seems more like a McCoy thing he brought over from Denver. I could be wrong though.

I thought that was more McCoy than Whisenhunt. Wasn't it McCoy who changed the playbook and gave him more 3 step drop backs that got the ball out of his hand quicker? And they drafted Fluker who helped their pass protection a lot. It seemed Rivers didn't have to chuck the ball down the field (as is common in a Norv Turner offense) as much. There was a lot of catch and run stuff in San Diego, which seems more like a McCoy thing he brought over from Denver. I could be wrong though.

You may be right. I was going more off of Rivers comments on Whisenhunt. He seemed to really like him and like the way he ran the offense as OC. Rivers transformation last season was remarkable. If not for Peyton, he had a legit case for MVP.

You guys are either drinking some really good alcohol or you are dreaming.

I'm going with option A, cause I want some of it.

Just because a team had a good draft don't mean anything. The Lions had many, many "great drafts" in their franchise history and where did it take them every year?

Oh that's right.

The Jags are a joke and everyone knows that, and so are the Texans. You're also nuts if you think a 2-14 team that couldn't close any games last year is going to rise up and really do something "but but but it was all Schaub's fault! They gots a quarterback now!".

You guys remind me a lot of the few Saints fans that are scared of Atlanta even though they were a huge joke last year and finally got exposed for being the pretenders they are.

You need to be thankful you play in one of the worst divisions in football for the past decade. The Colts have had it made since the early 2000's cause every team in that division is a joke. Every few years the Titans or Jags would post that lucky star winning season as a fluke and then go back to being a joke. It took Houston forever to finally pull it together and they couldn't hold onto that rope of success as they went back to being a joke.

The Colts are kinda like the Pats in the fact they've played in a very weak division that is a roll over for the past decade, and you still have it made that way. Be glad. You don't have to worry about mean competition rising up and threatening your spot on the throne since you just thrash over them all. There's no big threat like in the AFC North where it's three teams that can compete with one another very competitively.

Their new renovations to their stadium and the cabanas with all you can eat for $150 certainly might make them the must watch team in Florida.....dang now thats a good way to utilize unused seating....off with the tarps....and in with the pools, girls, beer and nachos and big screen tvs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356789/article/jacksonville-jaguars-adding-spas-cabanas-to-stadium

And their team is coming along nicely. I like their coach...I think they have added good pieces to their defense...and their draft could make their offense formidable in a couple years....its all on Bortles...but I like what they are doing down there.