Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Observations Comparing TRich & Lynch....

NewColtsFan

This story comes from NFL.com....

There are some quotes from Matt Hasselbeck who was with Seattle when Marshawn joined the Seahawks early in the 2010 season.......

Some very interesting comparisons on the two RB's and their similar situations....

Worth a read by you....

Enjoy....        :thmup:

Here's the story.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355662/article/trent-richardson-compares-to-lynch-hasselbeck-says

And here's the link to the career stats for Lynch showing the similarities....

http://www.nfl.com/player/marshawnlynch/2495663/profile

Best comment thus far. . .   Explaining learning the 2013 Colt's blocking scheme.

"Matthew, regarding the Colts blocking schemes, I can tell you they're very hard to get used to. It all starts with learning how to run around Sampson Satele while he lays on his back. Hopefully with the departure of Sampson and an upgrade to the interior line, Trent will have more success."

It's true on paper.

Yeah but right now that'a all anyone's got. ;)

Like I typed on another thread: Richardson is getting more OTA time with the first unit than Vick or Ahmad. And that is expected due to their injuries, However it is good for Trent from an acclimation|becoming comfortable standpoint; being able to - without resistance - run through|execute everything he didn't have a chance to learn on the fly last season.

I'm really very excited by the thought of having Trent Richardson & Ahmad Bradshaw - two bruisers - running wild behind a big Oline. Throw in at any given time Reggie Wayne, Hakim Nicks, T.Y., Coby and Dwayne Allen - all with Andrew friggin Luck behind center!!

Man, we've got a lot of weapons. I'm so pumped. 

He couldn't really do much worse.  So he should improve this year.  The question is, by how much?  The only way I think I would say this trade was worth it is if his production is close to Lynch's.  Would rather have given up a 2nd rounder for him, but what's done is done.  I'm still hopeful.

I will say I was not a fan of the trade.  Not because of TRich or his abilities, I just don't think you trade a 1st round pick for a RB.

That being said, when Trich has a hole to hit or caught the ball in space he looked awfully good and was a bear to bring down.  He had 28 receptions and average almost 10 yards per catch which is an excellent average for a RB.  

Lynch Averaged over 4 yards per carry his first two seasons, on a very bad bills team. He was traded due to his off the field issues, not his on the field issues. They really couldn't be more different other than they are tough to tackle. Anyone who just watches the games can see that Lynch has natural instincts for when to press the hole and when to take when he can get and Richardson to date has not shown those instincts. 

Richardson can't be worse than last season, it's just almost not possible, unless he gets hurt and benched early. So an improvement is likely, but thinking he is anywhere close to Lynch's level is fools gold.

If I am the Colts, I try to use him in space. He was just dominating at Alabama and in Cleveland when in open space. At Bama he had humongous holes to run through and once he did, he was impossible to tackle. Same in Cleveland, if he caught the ball out of the backfield or had a huge holes where he could operate in space, he was dynamic. Unfortunately for Trent, the NFL isn't going to have big holes and even when he does and can actually see them, they close quickly.

Let the butthurtery begin. 

Lynch Averaged over 4 yards per carry his first two seasons, on a very bad bills team. He was traded due to his off the field issues, not his on the field issues. They really couldn't be more different other than they are tough to tackle. Anyone who just watches the games can see that Lynch has natural instincts for when to press the hole and when to take when he can get and Richardson to date has not shown those instincts. 

Richardson can't be worse than last season, it's just almost not possible, unless he gets hurt and benched early. So an improvement is likely, but thinking he is anywhere close to Lynch's level is fools gold.

If I am the Colts, I try to use him in space. He was just dominating at Alabama and in Cleveland when in open space. At Bama he had humongous holes to run through and once he did, he was impossible to tackle. Same in Cleveland, if he caught the ball out of the backfield or had a huge holes where he could operate in space, he was dynamic. Unfortunately for Trent, the NFL isn't going to have big holes and even when he does and can actually see them, they close quickly.

Actually, I think they run similar to one another except Trent's behind the curve in his instinctiveness as you said.  I guess it's not really saying much since a guy can only run and dodge so many ways.  Definitely agree that Trent's better in space than he is in traffic.  Of course, you could probably say that about most backs in the NFL.  I give him midway through the season before I'm ready to throw the towel in him though.  If he doesn't improve substantially, it was a wasted trade.

After he regains his form, It is gonna be a long road repaying the negativity for a year around here. I think a "told you so" after every post and finding a way to work it into every thread for a complete season ought to do it. After all....it's just my opinion.

That certainly wont be irritating....will it?

I kid, of course, but since neverending rants are allowed ahead of their proof, they should also be allowed post incorrectness.

Actually, I think they run similar to one another except Trent's behind the curve in his instinctiveness as you said.  I guess it's not really saying much since a guy can only run and dodge so many ways.  Definitely agree that Trent's better in space than he is in traffic.  Of course, you could probably say that about most backs in the NFL.  I give him midway through the season before I'm ready to throw the towel in him though.  If he doesn't improve substantially, it was a wasted trade.

They have similar bodies and playing styles. I don't think they run the same, Lynch has such good instincts, he presses the line when he should, he cuts back and gets to top speed much quicker. 

Too often do you see Trent press the line, not know or not see where to go and just end up tripping over his own linemen. That is not a playbook issue, it's not an offensive line issue, it's just lacking instincts. And yes, instincts can come with more playing time and practice, so it's not impossible he makes that jump, it's just unlikely. 

Instincts are what make Troy Polomalu a hall of fame player and Laron Landry on his third team for his career. Similar physical skills it could be argued Landry is more physically talented, similar speed (Troy 4.33 fourty, Laron 4.35 fourty) and size (landry bigger and stronger), it's just that Troys instincts are off the charts. 

Maybe it was something else, confidence or playbook or something, but that wouldn't explain why he was so average with the Browns that they jumped at the chance to trade him, mid season which is unheard of. I guess we'll find out. 

Trent has a long way to go in order to be worth that first round pick.  He would have to put on some serious game breaking performances.  

Unfortunately, you are correct. The facts so far: Cleveland 2012- TR yards per carry =3.6, all other Browns RB behind the same line=4.7 ypc

Indianapolis 2013-TR yards per carry =2.9, all other Colts RB behind the same line=5.0 ypc

Some mitigating situations may occur during the course of a season, but when there is such a huge disparity between Trent and other RBs on his team, then it raises valid questions. My prediction is for 3.8 ypc and catching 40 passes. My hope is however, that Trent achieves what would be more to what some think and hits 4.4 ypc, catches 50 passes and we have found our marquis RB for the next 3 or 4 years.

Unfortunately, you are correct. The facts so far: Cleveland 2012- TR yards per carry =3.6, all other Browns RB behind the same line=4.7 ypc

Indianapolis 2013-TR yards per carry =2.9, all other Colts RB behind the same line=5.0 ypc

Some mitigating situations may occur during the course of a season, but when there is such a huge disparity between Trent and other RBs on his team, then it raises valid questions. My prediction is for 3.8 ypc and catching 40 passes. My hope is however, that Trent achieves what would be more to what some think and hits 4.4 ypc, catches 50 passes and we have found our marquis RB for the next 3 or 4 years.

If Trent can get 4 YPC it will be a massive relief. If he can get 4.4ypc it will have been a successful trade, albeit not the "steal of the century" that a lot of Colts fans thought it was at the time. 

If Trent can get 4 YPC it will be a massive relief. If he can get 4.4ypc it will have been a successful trade, albeit not the "steal of the century" that a lot of Colts fans thought it was at the time. 

I would be extremely excited if we got Trent to 4 YPC presuming he stays healthy. 

I would be extremely excited if we got Trent to 4 YPC presuming he stays healthy. 

That's likely 1,200 yards, while I can't see that happening it would be at the very least a big time improvement over his career numbers and a huge help for the Colts. 

That's likely 1,200 yards, while I can't see that happening it would be at the very least a big time improvement over his career numbers and a huge help for the Colts. 

Yeah I don't think that will likely happen.  Getting him at the 3.6 he was in his rookie year with the Browns is perhaps more realistic.  

To play devil's advocate...

Lynch is the exception... not the rule. The majority of first round RBs who struggled early in their career continued to struggle or at best have moderate success. RBs generally peak early in their careers. And I don't think it helps that Richardson is in a very different system to one where he had his success.

That being said he has clear natural talent and when his instincts improve, he should be productive. Lynch-level productive? That is a huge ask.

I don't think anyone is saying, hinting, or even suggesting that TRich is as good as Lynch....

The questions are......  can he better than he was last year.....   and how much....   

The answer to the first question should be easy -- yes.     The answer to the second question is unclear and will be until the season starts.....

But I think the story I linked is only trying to say that Richardson can get better and there are legitimate reasons to think so.....

I like Richardson and I think he will pan out, but only because some Browns fan posts here because the only bright thing the team did in the last decade was trade Richardson.

I'm not even sure what any of this means.

I was thinking the same thing and could not have worded it better. 4 ypc would be a ''relief'' and 4.4 ypc would nearly meet original expectations.

The thing is, every NFL RB is good in space......that doesn't impress me. The guys who run well in traffic are the impressive ones.

The thing is, every NFL RB is good in space......that doesn't impress me. The guys who run well in traffic are the impressive ones.

Yeah, that was sort of a back handed compliment, but it is true, he is tough to tackle in space. 

I will say I was not a fan of the trade.  Not because of TRich or his abilities, I just don't think you trade a 1st round pick for a RB.

That being said, when Trich has a hole to hit or caught the ball in space he looked awfully good and was a bear to bring down.  He had 28 receptions and average almost 10 yards per catch which is an excellent average for a RB.  

Homer, you don`t mention that many of those catches were when we were way behind and our opponents were GIVING US those short passes.

Homer, you don`t mention that many of those catches were when we were way behind and our opponents were GIVING US those short passes.

Well, I didn't mention it because it's not true.  He caught 20 in the 1st half, 15 in the 2nd and 3 in the last two minutes of either half.

As far as way behind, only 7 of his catches happened when the Colts were behind by 9 points or more.

Lastly, if you are going to call me names, I prefer Bart over Homer.

Well, I didn't mention it because it's not true. He caught 20 in the 1st half, 15 in the 2nd and 3 in the last two minutes of either half.

As far as way behind, only 7 of his catches happened when the Colts were behind by 9 points or more.

Lastly, if you are going to call me names, I prefer Bart over Homer.

why let facts get in the way of things

I get the comparison, but Trent has a very long way to go to become the next "Beast Mode". I do expect Trent to break out this season with a better O Line, and he'll have a full offseason and TC with us under his belt too. He was kind of just thrown into the fire last year with no knowledge of our system and a terrible O Line. Last year was rough though. Had to deal with T-Rich struggling for my Colts right after B.J. Upton struggling with my Braves. Both of which had two of the worst seasons I've ever witnessed in each sport.

After he regains his form, It is gonna be a long road repaying the negativity for a year around here. I think a "told you so" after every post and finding a way to work it into every thread for a complete season ought to do it. After all....it's just my opinion.

That certainly wont be irritating....will it?

I kid, of course, but since neverending rants are allowed ahead of their proof, they should also be allowed post incorrectness.

haha, you got it.  It always seems like people suck, even if they play well or eventually do.  Some Colts fans out there still think Andrew Luck sucks, but yet he's been pretty darn epic and will only continue to be.  Trent could have 1000 yards w 3.9 ypc and people will still be like "He didn't even have 4 ypc, he sucks!"

haha, you got it.  It always seems like people suck, even if they play well or eventually do.  Some Colts fans out there still think Andrew Luck sucks, but yet he's been pretty darn epic and will only continue to be.  Trent could have 1000 yards w 3.9 ypc and people will still be like "He didn't even have 4 ypc, he sucks!"

Have we really lowered Trent's expectations to 62.5 yds per game and 3.9 ypc? The sad thing is, I now think that's all he will do. I still hold out hope and want him to excel badly.