Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian De La Puente gone

signed with bears for vet minimum

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339678/article/brian-de-la-puente-chicago-bears-agree-to-contract

i'm upset they got him for such a cheap deal. he would have been a great pickup to help our horrible line but we go for phil costa for slightly cheaper i'm really dissapointed in our front office but whatever guess luck will be running for his life all next year unless costa impresses, hope lance louis steps up as well i was really happy we signed him

He might not even start right away. Rotoworld hinted that Garza will still be the starter but on a very short leash.

Vet minimum and not even a starter yet... sounds like something we have already... be chill and let this all play out for the Colts.

If BDLP is signing now for the veteran minimum it's likely a pretty good sign that not only did the Colts not think that much of him, but that most teams in the NFL didn't think that much of him.

Hey, I'm as surprised as the next guy.    There all sorts of posts about signing him for 3 years and roughly $15 Mill, +/-

Now, he's a veteran minimum guy.    Perhaps BDLP is not who we thought he was.....?

Just trying to make sense of something that doesn't appear to be make much sense.......

Surprising. Interesting that all the GMs seem to see/know something that the rest of us do not. It seems like Bleacher Report, CNNSI, and multiple other sites had him as one of the top free agent centers and come to find out there was hardly a market for him.

I think it is obvious BDLP is not who this forum thought he was. Everyone is tripping about S and C except the person who knows the most Grigs. He signed his guy at C and has only brought one S in to look at.

We took Costa because that is who Grigs thought was the best guy for this team at the best price. I live in AK get forced to sit through a lot of Cowboy games and had DeMarco Murray on one of my fantasy team since his rookie year(dynasty league).. I don't remember thinking god their C sucks granted it was many moons ago since the C was Costa..Murray had some huge games his rookie year.  I do remember thinking why don't they give Murray the ball more he is getting 5 yards a touch.

I think Grigs looked at it saw we weren't getting Mack and thought Costa was best for what we are trying to do.

I also think it shows how ridiculous it would have been to back a truck of money up to Mack's door. Let the Browns * the dude off and pay him 10M or whatever it is. That is why they are the Browns. He will be on the first train out next year if need be we can make a run then.  

Sooner or later the guys we drafted or picked up have to play that is why Grigs got them. Holmes could be the man if not Costa is serviceable or better. He is young only 26. I am pretty excited to see how the O Line plays out in training camp. Holmes v Costa and Grigs boy Louis Lance vs Thorton/Thomas. We could be in really good shape. 

I think we will be adding a name to the list through the draft as well wouldn't be surprised if it was early Cyril RIchardson or Dakota Dozier is who I have seen us looking at.

C I think is between Holmes and Costa and I know no one is going to like this but unless Holmes added a lot of strength I think we are looking at Costa and Holmes becomes a 3 position back up. He played G at USC before moving to C.

Holmes put up 225 12x unless he was injured that is pretty bad looking back at Costa he put it up 30x in 2010.I know bench press doesn't mean a whole lot shows nothing of leg strength. He has experience on his side as well.

I think we will be adding a name to the list through the draft as well wouldn't be surprised if it was early Cyril RIchardson or Dakota Dozier is who I have seen us looking at.

C I think is between Holmes and Costa and I know no one is going to like this but unless Holmes added a lot of strength I think we are looking at Costa and Holmes becomes a 3 position back up. He played G at USC before moving to C.

Holmes put up 225 12x unless he was injured that is pretty bad looking back at Costa he put it up 30x in 2010.I know bench press doesn't mean a whole lot shows nothing of leg strength. He has experience on his side as well.

Holmes was injured while he did the bench press.

I don't get this at all. De La Puente is a pretty good center IMO. He did have two elite guards next to him in New Orleans, but nobody can convince me a guy like Phil Costa is better than him. He signed for Vet minimum to be a backup? Are you serious? Lets just hope Holmes pans out so we wont look back at stuff like this and get sick to our stomach.

Have you seen Costa play? I am not sure why everyone on the board is so down on Costa before he steps on the field with the horseshoe on. He is 26 with starters experience

Girgs thinks Costa is better so really that is all that matters.

At this point it is not that we couldn't have gotten him he didn't slip away. Grigs did not want him. We could have easily signed the guy

He was out there before Costa got cut plenty of chance. Grigs choose Costa we didn't get stuck with him. He picked Lance Louis as well. Both of those guys could very easily be day one starters according to Grigs.

Was never interested in BdlP, but would have taken him rather than Phil Costa. Oh well. I don't think this is a big deal; I think BdlP benefited greatly from the guards he played with -- maybe the best guard tandem in the league the last couple of years. He was also much worse in the run game last year than he was the year before. I never thought he was the kind of guy we needed, but as veteran depth, he'd have been a good option.

I'm very meh about this. I was much more perplexed by the EDS signing.

At this point it is not that we couldn't have gotten him he didn't slip away. Grigs did not want him. We could have easily signed the guy

He was out there before Costa got cut plenty of chance. Grigs choose Costa we didn't get stuck with him. He picked Lance Louis as well. Both of those guys could very easily be day one starters according to Grigs.

Grigson also wanted Samson Satele and Mike McGlynn over Matt Birk and Matt Slauson a few seasons ago, so his opinion regarding the o-line is not gospel

I feel like we're getting "McGlynn'd" again with Costa

Grigson also wanted Samson Satele and Mike McGlynn over Matt Birk and Matt Slauson a few seasons ago, so his opinion regarding the o-line is not gospel

I feel like we're getting "McGlynn'd" again with Costa

I think Satele is a closer comparison regarding Costa (I saw some similariities...Short arms, slipping off blocks to often, lack of a consistent push in the run game)at the Center position, Im not sure Costa will be as good as Mcglynn was at Center...Though Mcglynn was no world beater there either

People on this board really overreact when it comes to the OL. They want us to pay ridiculous amounts of money for centers, and think our first pick should be an OG. This just further proves the point. I was wondering in the interview with Grigs why he said he looked at all the FA Centers and didn't like anyone, and this is why. BDP was overrated by board members  who are over the top hungry for any decent Offensive lineman.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

I think Satele is a closer comparison regarding Costa (I saw some similariities...Short arms, slipping off blocks to often, lack of a consistent push in the run game)at the Center position, Im not sure Costa will be as good as Mcglynn was at Center...Though Mcglynn was no world beater there either

I meant "McGlynn'd" in the sense that we signed Costa when there was clearly better talent still out there, for basically the same price. All because Grigson has a bad habit of acquiring written off players for the sake of maybe looking smarter than the 31 other GM's that weren't even looking at said player. Satele was at least considered one of the better centers in free agency at the time we signed him. EVERYONE knew McGlynn was a bum, however, and we signed him and made him a starter solely because Grigson scouted him back in Philly and he had "a nasty streak" in him

I meant "McGlynn'd" in the sense that we signed Costa when there was clearly better talent still out there, for basically the same price. All because Grigson has a bad habit of acquiring written off players for the sake of maybe looking smarter than the 31 other GM's that weren't even looking at said player. Satele was at least considered one of the better centers in free agency at the time we signed him. EVERYONE knew McGlynn was a bum, however, and we signed him and made him a starter solely because Grigson scouted him back in Philly and he had "a nasty streak" in him

Well it was nasty to watch ;) ...especially his first year here, I thought I saw some improvement compared to last year, Though I think some of that had to do with the scheme