Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No matter how good hakeem does he is only 1 year

12isthenew18

He might wanna stay but we got lots of better FA options and that is his payday while our number 2 receiver will be fixed in draft. What do you think of hakeem being long term

I'm not quite sure what you're saying but If Nicks is back at his 2010-2011 level I really hope we retain him.

How can any team possibly guarantee millions for him based on 1 year of play with the Colts given his injury history? But then, stranger things have happened in history.

Don't you think teams would consider his excellent play in 2010-2011 as well? Having a great year with the Colts wouldn't be an anomaly for Nicks. I don't think his "injury history" would effect his market too much if he stays healthy while having a great season.

If he's healthy, and puts up similar production to his 2010 and 2011 seasons yeah, we should try to bring him back IMO. A lot of people don't realize how good Nicks was then. I believe Rogers will develop into a beast, so a future WR corps of Rogers, Nicks, and Hilton could be really good.

Wayne's a UFA after the season and nobody knows how he's going to do coming back from injury.

Nobody knows what Brazil, Rogers and Whalen will do in 2014 either....

If Nicks performs the Colts will attempt to keep him...if not, they'll look for a WR in Rd 1.

Wayne might be done after this coming season?

He's got one year left on his contract and he's coming off knee surgery.

So,  it shouldn't be a shock if he retires...   and then the opportunity is there for Nicks to take that spot.   The question will be how much $$ he wants if he has a good year.    Indy is not going to pay a WR 10m+ per year.   I don't see that happening.    But, I think we'll pay competitively well.   And the chance to be on the receiving end of AL passes can't be down played.

If Wayne retires and Nicks is too expensive,  then we can either sign someone in 2015 FA or draft someone in 2015.

The options are there -- for everyone.

I say let him walk no matter what happens if we keep Griff, Rogers, and Brazill. Draft a receiver next year.

So, if Nicks has a great year, we should keep Whalen, Rogers and Brazill, and let Nicks walk?

I always thought the idea was to put together the best team you can, not to romanticize average players.

So, if Nicks has a great year, we should keep Whalen, Rogers and Brazill, and let Nicks walk?

I always thought the idea was to put together the best team you can, not to romanticize average players.

Well we have younger, more important pieces to think about. We might not have enough to give Nicks "Eric Decker" type money.

Well we have younger, more important pieces to think about. We might not have enough to give Nicks "Eric Decker" type money.

If Nicks plays as well as he has previously then he will most certainly get "Decker" money. The difference is many were unsure of what exactly Decker is. He played with Peyton and had a multitude of weapons drawing coverage away. Nicks, when healthy, is a proven number one and a good security blanket. If he plays well this year, which all indications are that he should, then assuming he doesn't ask for some crazy amount, then he will be here long-term on a bigger contract. We don't really have more important pieces than a number one receiver. I mean, I'm expecting an extension for Castonzo and other moves like that but we'll have cap space.

Still puzzled why he chose the Colts..... Players and injuries don't work well with each other here....

But seriously keep him if he has a great year, which I'm very optimistic about! I still feel that Nicks was a good pickup!

The man is still pretty young. As others have stated, we have no idea what Reggie will be like this year, and after that he is a UFA. If he performs well, we bring him back. I don't know what "more important" pieces there are...if we lock up Luck, Hilton, and Castanzo, we need to bring back Nicks. That very well could be the core of our team for the next 6-10 years

Maybe, maybe not. I just don't see what that has to do with guys like Whalen, Brazill and Rogers. They aren't needed if Nicks can play big for us.

He might wanna stay but we got lots of better FA options and that is his payday while our number 2 receiver will be fixed in draft. What do you think of hakeem being long term

...one year contracts are best for the team..

..and they're fair......the player gets all his money and he has to perform reasonably well to get another deal..

....I wish nobody had more than a 2-year deal.

So why are you willing to give Holmes and our mediocre interior line the benefit of the doubt, while all but write off our young receivers? I think Rogers and Brazill have more potential than Holmes and Costa do on the O-line. I'm not saying that to suggest that we should let Nicks walk if he has a good season, just don't understand why you're so certain our 2nd and 3rd year receivers are a finish product and nothing more than average...

So why are you willing to give Holmes and our mediocre interior line the benefit of the doubt, while all but write off our young receivers? I think Rogers and Brazill have more potential than Holmes and Costa do on the O-line. I'm not saying that to suggest that we should let Nicks walk if he has a good season, just don't understand why you're so certain our 2nd and 3rd year receivers are a finish product and nothing more than average...

I agree.  They stepped up last year when Reggie went down and now they get to lose snaps for it.  It especially affects TY's growth as a WR by taking those snaps.

Yes, it was nice to get a FA WR for help, but the cost (not money), IMO, was not worth it.

it's a good risk for the colts, i don't see much of a down side. wayne's future is uncertain (injury/contract) so if nicks performs at a high level the colts will have more options next year. if wayne comes back to past form, it's even better. the replacements last year showed flashes, but were nowhere close to being able to replace a #1 or #2 receiver. could they down the road? maybe, but i'm not willing to risk it.    

Im guessing we take no WR in the draft,there are a lot more areas needing addressed IMO.

I agree.  They stepped up last year when Reggie went down and now they get to lose snaps for it.  It especially affects TY's growth as a WR by taking those snaps.

Yes, it was nice to get a FA WR for help, but the cost (not money), IMO, was not worth it.

having other top receivers around ty gives him a better chance of getting open and catching passes. it's better for everyone when a defense can't concentrate on one player to take out of the game. he is not the type of receiver that can consistently beat double teams.

having other top receivers around ty gives him a better chance of getting open and catching passes. it's better for everyone when a defense can't concentrate on one player to take out of the game. he is not the type of receiver that can consistently beat double teams.

And when we are in a 2 WR set, that means TY is on the sidelines and not on the field.  Think about it.

And when we are in a 2 WR set, that means TY is on the sidelines and not on the field.  Think about it.

three wr's can be rotated to keep them fresh. wayne is still a question mark until he proves he's back to form. i would rather have one too many, than one too less.

What makes you think he will want that much "Decker" money?  He did sign a low contract to play for the Colts. I am quite sure he had more money offers from other teams. He said he wanted to play for the Colts, enough said. If he earns a high dollar contract then the Colts will have a tough call to make. 

I'm not writing off the young receivers, but Nicks is much better. Much better.

And our young linemen, particularly Holmes, hasn't had an opportunity, and won't get one until it's given to him. You can't platoon the center position in the name of developing young talent. You can still get young receivers work, even though you rely on better players. I'm not sure why or how anyone can measure Holmes' potential, given that he hasn't seen the field yet. But we all know what Brazill and Rogers are, and we know what Nicks can be.

You are aware it takes a new receiver in the NFL an average of 2 or 3 years to become a great player. I can't agree with your assumption that there will be better FA options. There are very few low dollar high reward players. 

There is nothing negative about TY being on the sidelines in a 2 receiver set if it works. It could be any 2 receivers on the field if it works and the matchup are in the Colts favor. 

You guys keep talking "Decker" money but I think that his contract with the Jets is quite reasonable for a quality receiver:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Eric%20Decker&Position=WR&Team=Jets

Just saying that if you want quality at the WR position you are going to have to pay for it especially after the rookie contract.

Edit: also compare here for top players : http://www.overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

Wayne is defeinetly in his last, or second to last season. Him getting injured actually brought some important things to light. The offense sputtered when he went down, but look at how we performed in the playoffs.  Luck needs to cut down the INT's but he was clearly able to spread the ball around and find the end-zone without him. A better run game and a consistent defense and the loss wouldn't have appeared as big.

That's where Nicks comes in. He's only 26 (been in the league just as long as Vontae) so if he performs you have a replacement. You can sign him to a long term deal and you have a top 5 receiving core with Hilton, Nicks, and Rodgers. Don't count out Fleener and Allen though. I don't think we need Reggie as bad as people think. If anything, it's his leadership that was missed the most. But all good things must come to an end.

I'm not writing off the young receivers, but Nicks is much better. Much better.

And our young linemen, particularly Holmes, hasn't had an opportunity, and won't get one until it's given to him. You can't platoon the center position in the name of developing young talent. You can still get young receivers work, even though you rely on better players. I'm not sure why or how anyone can measure Holmes' potential, given that he hasn't seen the field yet. But we all know what Brazill and Rogers are, and we know what Nicks can be.

I don't think you can draw any definitive conclusions on how good Rogers, Brazill and Nicks will be for multiple reasons. The main ones being, Nicks is coming off an injury plagued season and did not play like he did in seasons prior, and Rogers/Brazill have only seen spotty work on the field towards the end of last season. To say you know what they (which are essentially a couple of rookie receivers) ARE is every bit as presumptive as you would claim anyone's assessment of Holmes would be without seeing him actually play first.

And Holmes is a center/guard combo who could've easily been in the rotation last season, even if it weren't at his natural position of center. For us to believe he's progressed to the point of being starter level without so much as taking a single snap from that position last year (with injuries to Satele and McGlynn, mind you) is not impossible but certainly an ambitious proposition

And your last statement isn't fair to Rogers or Brazill at all. You only know what they WERE in a handful of games at the end of last season. You don't know what they ARE with a full off-season removed from their last game. Rogers can be every bit the physical talent that Nicks WAS a few seasons ago. It usually takes receivers 2 seasons to make that leap to the next level, so maybe it clicks with Brazill and Rogers, maybe it doesn't. To say they basically "are what they are" isn't at all accurate, IMO. If that's the case, Nicks is only as good as his last season played, which wasn't too impressive

I don't think you can draw any definitive conclusions on how good Rogers, Brazill and Nicks will be for multiple reasons. The main ones being, Nicks is coming off an injury plagued season and did not play like he did in seasons prior, and Rogers/Brazill have only seen spotty work on the field towards the end of last season. To say you know what they (which are essentially a couple of rookie receivers) ARE is every bit as presumptive as you would claim anyone's assessment of Holmes would be without seeing him actually play first.

And Holmes is a center/guard combo who could've easily been in the rotation last season, even if it weren't at his natural position of center. For us to believe he's progressed to the point of being starter level without so much as taking a single snap from that position last year (with injuries to Satele and McGlynn, mind you) is not impossible but certainly an ambitious proposition

And your last statement isn't fair to Rogers or Brazill at all. You only know what they WERE in a handful of games at the end of last season. You don't know what they ARE with a full off-season removed from their last game. Rogers can be every bit the physical talent that Nicks WAS a few seasons ago. It usually takes receivers 2 seasons to make that leap to the next level, so maybe it clicks with Brazill and Rogers, maybe it doesn't. To say they basically "are what they are" isn't at all accurate, IMO. If that's the case, Nicks is only as good as his last season played, which wasn't too impressive

Not that I am intending to speak for Superman but I think when he said "we already know what they are" he meant that we already know what there skill set is, such as for example: deep threat, posession receiver and so on , In that regard we know what Rogers and Brazill is, We know they can beat ya deep, we know Rogers is a physical receiver, Raw skills we know what they are. We dont know what they will become, Just like Nicks, We know what he is.

Man, I'll get flack for this, but some of you are so "smart" when it comes to football it blows my mind. I feel like I'm in the presence of Gods of football, and the rest of us know nothing. You'd rather keep THREE UNPROVEN players over the talent of Nicks? He didn't have a great season, but look at how terrible Eli Manning played. Don't you think that has something to do with it? If DHB could of caught a cold last season, we would of done a lot better I'm games. Nicks is light years ahead of him, and with Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Allen, Flener and Rogers getting better, why would you say let him go? That is incredibly dumb. Our receiving corps is going to be nasty this year.

What makes you think he will want that much "Decker" money? He did sign a low contract to play for the Colts. I am quite sure he had more money offers from other teams. He said he wanted to play for the Colts, enough said. If he earns a high dollar contract then the Colts will have a tough call to make.

The other teams didn't want that much more for him. He thought the Colts were the best fit because he is the missing piece and won't be double covered too much with Wayne and Hilton. He signed a one year deal so he can try and cash in next year.