Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2nd Round Pick(Who Would You Take)

Stanley jean-baptist... the guy is super physical and is a ball hawk... At 6-3 220 pounds he is the corner i always wanted the colts to have... but thats IF he falls to us...

I get the sense SJB is more of a 3rd rounder and we might be able to get him with our pick in that round.  

But I do like him a lot!

I get the sense SJB is more of a 3rd rounder and we might be able to get him with our pick in that round.

But I do like him a lot!

Its a copycat league and the Seahawks formula worked!

I feel like a hipster saying I liked SJB and the Seattle D before everyone fell in love with the Seahawks secondary and Baptiste!

I'll write a thread about it in April, once the Pro Days are over......

But I get the very strong sense that all of the Stanford players have had a poor post-season so far.

From the Rose Bowl, to the All Star Games, to the Combine.

I'm hard pressed to find one who has done well.

And I think all of them have likely lost at least one round off earlier projections of where they might be drafted.

Murphy and Yankey were low-1's or early 2's...    Now I think they're clearly 2's...

Skov was a low-2 or high-3....   now, I think he's a low-3 or high-4.

Reynolds was a 2/3....   now I get the sense he's a 4/5.

Mauro was perhaps a 4/5...   now I think he's a 5/6.

Ironically, I think the one guy who has done surprisingly well (testing) is Gaffney.    That may have taken him from a 7 to 6.   But I don't think much higher than that.

I'm writing this because I see some posters talking about Yankey and Skov in the 2nd round.    I wouldn't be happy with either as our pick at number 59.    At 90, I'd be fine.   But not at 59.

Hey.....  I hope I'm completely wrong about this...    but from reading NFL.com, CBS.com, Kiper and McShay,  I think the stock on my boys has slipped a bit...

Just some food for thought from the guy who follows Stanford closely.

Rankings for safeties (Colts pick 59 and 90)

walterfootball.com: Dion Bailey, USC 6-0 201, 40 Time: 4.66 (Pro Day 4.63) Round: 2-3; Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois 5-11 193, Time: 4.61 (Pro Day 4.47), 3-4; Craig Loston, S, LSU 5-11 217, Time: 4.63 2-3; Deone Bucannon, Washington State  6-1 211, Time: 4.49, 2-3; Ahmad Dixon, Baylor  6-0 212, Time: 4.41 3-4; Terrence Brooks, Florida State 5-11 198, Time: 4.42 3-4; Ed Reynolds, Stanford  6-1 207, Time: 4.57 3-4.

cbssports.com and nfldraftscout.com :  Ward 2, Bucannon 2-3, Brooks 2-3, Reynolds 3-4, Bailey 4, Loston 4, Dixon 4-5.  Ward, Buccannon, Loston and Dixon are listed as Strong Safeties.

nfl.com:  Marqueston Huff Wyoming, 5-11 196,   4.49 Round 2, Loston 2-3, Brock Vereen Minnesota, 6-0 199 4.47, 3-4, Bucannon 4-5, Brooks 4-5, Dixon 4-5, Bailey 5-6, Ward 6-7, Reynolds 5-6.

Matt de Lima of fftoolbox.com has Ward at Pick 34, Bucannon Pick 51.

Robert Davis of footballsfuture.com ranks them 3. Huff 4. Bucannon 5. Brooks 6. Bailey 7. Reynolds, 8. Dixon, and 10. Loston.  Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are 1, 2.

The bottom line is there will probably be some decent safeties available at Pick 90.  Trust in Grigs to pick one out.  Pick 59, my preference would be for a cornerback, unless Jimmie Ward falls to us.

At this point it almost has to be a safety. So either Jimmy Ward or Deone Bucannon. I like both but Ward has my vote. Then I think we'll go CB, or OLB in the 3rd. Marcus Smith, or if he's there Baptiste. We'll probably make a couple more moves in FA so things could change.

Gabe Jackson OG

I think OL would be a great pick. Gabe Jackson is definitely on my radar.

My sleeper guy is Morgan Moses, OT, 6'6", 314 lbs. If we cannot break the bank for Anthony Castanzo while extending T.Y. or Luck after the 2014 season, this guy, if available at No.59, has all the tools for a blindside protector and can play swing tackle too, IMO.

The OL picks may not be darling picks but will be solid ones, IMO.

Secondary Help is needed.I like these guys as 2nd-3rd round picks:

CB's:

-Keith McGill

-Bashaud Breeland

-SJB

Safety

-Deone Bucannon

-Jimmie Ward

Bucannon is a true SS but he's better than Landry who won't be back in 2015. Imagine if we lucked up and got Ward and Bucannon which isn't entirely hard to imagine.

I think OL would be a great pick. Gabe Jackson is definitely on my radar.

My sleeper guy is Morgan Moses, OT, 6'6", 314 lbs. If we cannot break the bank for Anthony Castanzo while extending T.Y. or Luck after the 2014 season, this guy, if available at No.59, has all the tools for a blindside protector and can play swing tackle too, IMO.

The OL picks may not be darling picks but will be solid ones, IMO.

Depending on what we do in the rest of free agency, O-line might be the best pick we could make.

Secondary Help is needed.I like these guys as 2nd-3rd round picks:

CB's:

-Keith McGill

-Bashaud Breeland

-SJB

Safety

-Deone Bucannon

-Jimmie Ward

Bucannon is a true SS but he's better than Landry who won't be back in 2015. Imagine if we lucked up and got Ward and Bucannon which isn't entirely hard to imagine.

Cutting or trading Landry after 2014 results in a $3.5M Cap hit and creates $2.25M. He would have to play awful or be unable to play to dump him. We have him for 2015 most likely. lol

Terrence Brooks, FS, Florida St.  There's really no one else I'd be looking to fall.  If Brooks is available, that's who I'd take.  He's very good in coverage, and great against the run (despite his lack of size).  #1 priority has to be the strengthening of the Safety position, with an emphasis on someone who can cover.

As of right now - Safety,, but who knows what will happen in FA.

A QB, TE, RB and WR seems completely out of the question to me, so I would have to say BPA at all other positions..

A lot of posters are calling for a CB. You really think that a CB is that big a need compared to FS?

I don't think it's that CB is a bigger need so much as, the drop off in safety after the top couple of guys is pretty steep.  Of the FS candidates that are draftable in the 2nd round, you're really only looking at Clinton-Dix (who shouldn't make it out of the first), Calvin Pryor, and Terrence Brooks.  After that, we'd be reaching pretty heavily I think for anyone else in the 2nd.  If Terrence Brooks is there, I'd scoop him up, and I'd say Calvin Pryor would be an ungodly steal if we dropped to us in the second, but there's a good chance that neither of those guys make it to us.  In that event, we'd be looking for the BPA in another position, possibly CB which is one of our next biggest needs.