Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns release LB D'Qwell Jackson

Remember, Cleveland still has a lot of cap room and they were willing to let him walk.

Sounds like he is a likable, classy guy but not necessarily a force at the line. Apparently he was rated by PFF as the 7th worst ILB against the run last year. Most of his tackles came downfield and it sounds like he is better suited to a 4/3. Just what I'm reading from Cleveland fans.

Maybe a Cowboys, Redskins or Tampa pick up?

Sounds like he is a likable, classy guy but not necessarily a force at the line. Apparently he was rated by PFF as the 7th worst ILB against the run last year. Most of his tackles came downfield and it sounds like he is better suited to a 4/3. Just what I'm reading from Cleveland fans.

you are talking about pat angerer???

Remember, Cleveland still has a lot of cap room and they were willing to let him walk.

Maybe a Cowboys, Redskins or Tampa pick up?

i had wondered if his tackles were at the line or downfield. Thanks for the info.

The guy can play with the best at his position and is a true leader in the middle of a defense. He could really help us and give us another leader on this defense with the young ILB group we have now. I think a veteran presence is exactly what we need right now for the ILB position.

“D’Qwell has been a coach’s dream as far as leadership, intelligence,'' then-defensive coordinator Ray Horton said last season. "He demands a lot from himself and his teammates. He really is a locker room coach (with) some of the things he says after the game and at halftime.”

The guy can play with the best at his position and is a true leader in the middle of a defense. He could really help us and give us another leader on this defense with the young ILB group we have now. I think a veteran presence is exactly what we need right now for the ILB position.

“D’Qwell has been a coach’s dream as far as leadership, intelligence,'' then-defensive coordinator Ray Horton said last season. "He demands a lot from himself and his teammates. He really is a locker room coach (with) some of the things he says after the game and at halftime.”

Translation: "The Tennessee Titans would like to welcome D'Qwell Jackson to our team."

Okay. So is there such a thing as an LB that can make tackles at the line of scrimmage AND cover well? Seems like the good cover guys are going to be lighter and less stout against the run.

How does Freeman stack up in this regard? He is supposedly not a real good cover guy, so that means he's stout right? He doesn't really seem like either.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1974706-dqwell-jackson-released-by-cleveland-browns#articles/1974706-dqwell-jackson-released-by-cleveland-browns

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9620/dqwell-jackson

Serviceable against the pass....Not so much against the run, If were going to pay for an ILB thats 30 or over then Karlos Dansby should be that guy

Everyone keeps talking about Clevelands cap space, and although they have more, I believe we are in better shape. They have several players who are key that they want to extend who are going to cost big money. Mack, Haden and Ward. Mack will be 9M/year, Hayden 10-11M/year and Ward about 9M/year. Really good safeties are starting to get more money. So that takes a big chunk out of their cap space. The other problem. They simply have to pay people more to either come to Cleveland and/or stay with an extension. When you have a losing team and chaos, it is not an enduring recruiting element, so only $$$$$ speaks. I know this is a little off the release of the Jackson release, but this is the reason they did it I believe. They may be bad, but they have many good players, which means a lot of expensive extensions.

Everyone keeps talking about Clevelands cap space, and although they have more, I believe we are in better shape. They have several players who are key that they want to extend who are going to cost big money. Mack, Haden and Ward. Mack will be 9M/year, Hayden 10-11M/year and Ward about 9M/year. Really good safeties are starting to get more money. So that takes a big chunk out of their cap space. The other problem. They simply have to pay people more to either come to Cleveland and/or stay with an extension. When you have a losing team and chaos, it is not an enduring recruiting element, so only $$$$$ speaks. I know this is a little off the release of the Jackson release, but this is the reason they did it I believe. They may be bad, but they have many good players, which means a lot of expensive extensions.

Still when they have that kind of cap space you don't tend to cut a good player from your team.

I just posted an article in the Dansby thread.  The Cardinals must feel the same way you do.  Jackson is their choice if Dansby does walk!

I love Dansby...but 32.....how many years left?

I don't know. Dansby at 32 isn't that old, not for a short deal. He prefers to stay in AZ anyways.

I don't know. Dansby at 32 isn't that old, not for a short deal. He prefers to stay in AZ anyways.

Meh I think with the right deal he wouldn't hesitate to come pay for a winning franchise, Cardinals I dont think are to far off if they fix that awful O Line but at 32 he may not have much time for the rest of the team to get better

Meh I think with the right deal he wouldn't hesitate to come pay for a winning franchise, Cardinals I dont think are to far off if they fix that awful O Line but at 32 he may not have much time for the rest of the team to get better

I don't think he's going to come to Indy in a ring chase. I would think that money and familiarity would be the primary factors for him, especially considering that he's said he wants to stay with the Cardinals. If he does want to leave, I would think his first choice would be the Titans. In order for other teams to get into the conversation, they're going to have to show him the money, I think. I'd give him two years, $6m, to come to the Colts. But if the Titans and Cardinals made the same offer, I think we'd be out of the running.

I don't think he's going to come to Indy in a ring chase. I would think that money and familiarity would be the primary factors for him, especially considering that he's said he wants to stay with the Cardinals. If he does want to leave, I would think his first choice would be the Titans. In order for other teams to get into the conversation, they're going to have to show him the money, I think. I'd give him two years, $6m, to come to the Colts. But if the Titans and Cardinals made the same offer, I think we'd be out of the running.

I dunno I think he has been very consistent throughout his career as a playmaker, He is versatile, can play OLB/ILB in a 3-4, I'd think 20 mill over 4 years would be enough to pull him over maybe and it would break the bank, He is the type of player we need at ILB

I dunno I think he has been very consistent throughout his career as a playmaker, He is versatile, can play OLB/ILB in a 3-4, I'd think 20 mill over 4 years would be enough to pull him over maybe and it would break the bank, He is the type of player we need at ILB

Yeah, I don't think you sign a 32 year old for four years. First of all, you don't have to, which is why he did a one year deal last season. Secondly, at a position like ILB, players break down and lose their ability almost overnight. He can go from a pretty good year to a terrible year in no time, flat. Look at Bart Scott.

I think I'd wince at anything more than $4m/year for a couple years. And ultimately, I think he'll sign with one of his preferred options for less than that. Of course, this is just my thoughts, I don't know anything.

Yeah, I don't think you sign a 32 year old for four years. First of all, you don't have to, which is why he did a one year deal last season. Secondly, at a position like ILB, players break down and lose their ability almost overnight. He can go from a pretty good year to a terrible year in no time, flat. Look at Bart Scott.

I think I'd wince at anything more than $4m/year for a couple years. And ultimately, I think he'll sign with one of his preferred options for less than that. Of course, this is just my thoughts, I don't know anything.

None of us do really, we just know what WE WOULD do....right or wrong...Thats why were fans...I just know that he can cover.....is a play maker.....appears to have years left and is healthy and ILB is one of our 2 biggest needs and if healthy he would likely be a beast next to Freeman

Agreed, Simply put he makes plays, i wouldnt mind seeing him in Indy. I think he would pair great with Freeman.

Rankings are subjective...Those tackle numbers are real and he's been consistent....

You know what,, though?

I don't ever remember seeing him play.. Obviously I dont watch Cleveland much but do any of you recall actually noticing him??

Rankings are subjective...Those tackle numbers are real and he's been consistent....

You know what,, though?

I don't ever remember seeing him play.. Obviously I dont watch Cleveland much but do any of you recall actually noticing him??

Yea, ive watched a few Browns games, He still has some left in the tank at his age. I like his range and laterall quickness he can get from sidline to sideline and isnt to bad in coverage either, also is pretty stout against the run. 

Another reason why stats are misleading. Dquells best year was when we were in a 4-3, he's just too small to play in a 3-4. 

Yep, agree on this. If the Titans were not switching to a 3-4 under Ray Horton, Horton would have been very interested in D'Qwell since he coached him in Cleveland and is very high on him.