Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Eric Decker? (Report)/Rumor (merge)

How?  

Because you're saying that those teams suck because they spent big money on a WR. How about all of the teams that pay big money to WRs and are good teams? 

Larry Fitzgerald- Cards went to the Super Bowl in 2008 and went 10-6 this year. (make the playoffs in any other division probably) They have had bad QB play since Warner left. 

Dwayne Bowe- Chiefs went 13-3 and he had 150+ yards in a playoff game

Desean Jackson- Eagles went 10-6 won the East

Anquan Boldin- Ravens won a Super Bowl and he was fantastic during that run. Team made the NFCCG this season. 

Andre Johnson- Texans made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and were looked at as Super Bowl contenders before their collapse.

Those teams above you mentioned are bad because of bad FOs', coaching and just bad drafting. Not because they paid for a good WR. 

The Bucs don't have a good QB. That's bad drafting.

The Bears have been on the brink of the playoffs for the past 2 years and probably make it without injuries to their starting QB.

The Redskins made the playoffs last year and didn't this year because of lack of depth because they traded away a bunch of high draft picks and their starting QB was playing injured all year.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean before Peyton came to Denver did you see thier TE Decker or even Thomas talked about so much? Guys that can be play makers regardless of QB play are superstars. I think Reggie is a great WR after peyton left he is still 1000 yards yearly and close to 10TDs a season if not more with a rookie QB and no Oline

Because you're saying that those teams suck because they spent big money on a WR. How about all of the teams that pay big money to WRs and are good teams? 

That isn't remotely what I'm saying.  What I am suggesting is that the history of high end, #1 money WRs in FA is a failure far more often than a success.  And Decker had a career year, thanks Mr. Manning, and will get money from someone, as all but two NFL teams have available cap room, some with ridiculous amounts to spend.  And he won't be worth it, in my opinion, regardless of personal success, his numbers.  The value based on cost alone, to me, makes #1 (real or self believed) FA WRs a terrible way to spend cap money. 

Four of your five examples are with the team that drafted them, as an aside, which furthers my point.  And Boldin, for all his unbelievable great play, isn't getting now, and didn't when first testing the market, #1 money, which Decker this year likely will. 

I think he is a great fit...but I have no clue what the money will look like. With the cap increase this year...he really really got lucky he is a FA this year as opposed to last year that didn't see much at all of a cap increase. Decker isn't exactly a finesse WR imo...he makes a lot of catches with people hanging on him or adjusting to the football and I thought he blocks very well on the outside...especially on all those bubble screens etc...maybe I'm wrong but just because Richard Sherman shut him down doesn't mean he is soft. Let's be honest...he wasn't going to see more than 1 or 2 passes regardless if he got open...he wasn't the target. The rest of the year...he PRODUCED. He may not be a true #1...but combining him with TY...who are both GREAT #2s...thats pretty special. I think he would be a perfect fit in our offense...and he can punt return...but it will definately come down to money and what we will pass up. WR IS A NEED....but that doesn't mean Decker has to be the answer either.

If this happens I'm done!  

1) WR is one of the deepest positions in the draft.

2) There will be other good options in FA @ a fair price, Maclin on a prove it deal.

3) Andrew Luck will make average receivers better just the same as Manning, Brady, etc.

4) Both lines need fixed and LB help.

5) FA signings last year provided little impact, so some areas could stand to be redone. Not to mention a premium was paid for most of those signings.

If this happens I'm done!  

1) WR is one of the deepest positions in the draft.

2) There will be other good options in FA @ a fair price, Maclin on a prove it deal.

3) Andrew Luck will make average receivers better just the same as Manning, Brady, etc.

4) Both lines need fixed and LB help.

5) FA signings last year provided little impact, so some areas could stand to be redone. Not to mention a premium was paid for most of those signings.

Maclin is going to sign a 1-year deal with Philly in the next day or two.

Sure he does. He made the decision on dumping Peyton and drafting Luck.

That is a horrible example to use to try to support your point.  The nature of that decision made it more of a long term business decision than a run of the mill personnel decision.  Decisions of this magnitude definitely fall on the shoulders of the owner.  I doubt there is a single NFL franchise owner who given a similar situation does not step in and make the final decision themselves.

Maybe Grigson just floats out these rumors to help drive up FA cost, so it hampers other teams from signing FAs he wants in the future. I really doubt he really wants to pay 10M a year for a #2 WR. 

You do make a valid argument Peytonator. Grigs does engage in calculated distraction a lot which makes his real goals difficult to pinpoint. It used to irritate me, but Grigs is a great talent evaluator so I just roll with it now & trust that there is a method to his technique. 

Perhaps Grigs learned his calculated distraction routine from Jim Irsay's cryptic & mysterious tweets. Just Kidding! 

How?  Isn't the purpose of free agency, especially at the highest pay levels, to improve team performance, and add to win totals?  Jackson may well laugh his way to the bank every day, but the Bucs would be better served spending the money they gave to him on about five players at other positions to eek toward .500 in my opinion.  But now they have a very skilled WR and...  a 4-12 record to show for it so far.  If they can go 4-12 with him, they could without him too.  Without the expense. 

Your logic is so ridiculous it's not even worth addressing...

Your logic is so ridiculous it's not even worth addressing...

And yet you did by responding.  You like the Jackson signing.  I don't.  And he isn't the worst, we haven't even gotten into Wallace.  I think Tampa Bay would have been better off drafting a WR and spending that money elsewhere.  They owe him $10m a season for each of the next three, 31 years old now, 34 at the end of the contract.  And they are a 4-12 team with needs all over the roster, including deciding who the QB will be to actually throw him the ball. It's terrific the Bucs have a marquee name to place on the cover of the media guide.  8 out of the top 10 WR contracts in the NFL are on teams which didn't make the playoffs.  And 15 out of the top 22.  And on and on.  There might not be another position in the NFL which is a worse return on the investment.  That might be ridiculous logic to you, not to me.  WRs are grossly overpaid in my opinion. 

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.

The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves.

Sure he does. He made the decision on dumping Peyton and drafting Luck.

Ok he made 1 personnel decision that any competent GM would have made anyway. I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. 

Not to mention the ABSOLUTE toughest decision a GM could ever...or WILL ever make.  A decision that made Denver a great offensive team and Indy a contender for 13-15 years...We loved number 18 at the helm....and number 12 is gonna keep us in the hunt for years!!!

I don't understand those that wouldn't atleast want us to look into bringing Decker in. No demands have been made. As far as I'm aware he hasn't publicly said he wants Larry Fitzgerald $. I think he's a guy who has proven he can play well in this league. Even when Tebow was the QB he produced. He seems to be durable. I think it would be foolish to NOT look at him before you even have an idea of what his contract demands will be.

Report: Colts interested in free agent Decker               rotoworld.com

5819.jpg

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.

The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves.

This is intriguing..

Decker, Wayne and Hilton as our starting three wideouts would be crazy.

This will allow more time for our younger guys to adapt.

I won't agree on the money he wants.. But he's young and talented. And a bigger body.

We will see if we bring him in for a look in a few weeks.

How do you know you wont agree on the $ if you don't even know what that will be?

I don't understand those that wouldn't atleast want us to look into bringing Decker in. No demands have been made. As far as I'm aware he hasn't publicly said he wants Larry Fitzgerald $. I think he's a guy who has proven he can play well in this league. Even when Tebow was the QB he produced. He seems to be durable. I think it would be foolish to NOT look at him before you even have an idea of what his contract demands will be.

I agree...bring him in and talk...have him talk with Andrew too...who knows what can transpire?  He may fall in love with Indy!

Not to mention the ABSOLUTE toughest decision a GM could ever...or WILL ever make.  A decision that made Denver a great offensive team and Indy a contender for 13-15 years...We loved number 18 at the helm....and number 12 is gonna keep us in the hunt for years!!!

I am not convinced that the Colts will be a contender for the next 13-15 years. A contender to win the weak AFC South for a while, yes, but not a Super Bowl contender for all of those years. Plus you can never count on that. Any player in the NFL including Andrew Luck can have his career end with one big hit and the Colts do a very poor job of protecting their franchise QB. But, I hope you are right. Not many teams are contenders for long periods of time. The best chance is the next three years while Luck is still on his rookie contract. After that, Grigson will have the same problems that Polian did keeping a good cast around Luck. I watched NFL Today yesterday and they were predicting that Russell Wilson could be the QB to win more than four Super Bowls. They all agreed that Andrew Luck is better but he may never have the team that Wilson has and they are still young. That is the team that will contend for the next ten years or more.