Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Eric Decker? (Report)/Rumor (merge)

And yet you did by responding.  You like the Jackson signing.  I don't.  And he isn't the worst, we haven't even gotten into Wallace.  I think Tampa Bay would have been better off drafting a WR and spending that money elsewhere.  They owe him $10m a season for each of the next three, 31 years old now, 34 at the end of the contract.  And they are a 4-12 team with needs all over the roster, including deciding who the QB will be to actually throw him the ball. It's terrific the Bucs have a marquee name to place on the cover of the media guide.  8 out of the top 10 WR contracts in the NFL are on teams which didn't make the playoffs.  And 15 out of the top 22.  And on and on.  There might not be another position in the NFL which is a worse return on the investment.  That might be ridiculous logic to you, not to me.  WRs are grossly overpaid in my opinion. 

lol, at what junction did I mention the Jackson signing? That is not the issue here, nor is any of the above ramblings....

You attempt to make a direct correlation between over-paid FA WRs and team records, do you realize the extent to which your logic is irrational?

A QB, never mind a WR, cannot be directly correlated to team records. A WR has a job to do, if he does that job, he will positively impact his team, however that impact is only a fraction of what is required to determine a win or loss.

By that same logic, any of the highly-paid players on teams with a losing record, are not worth their money.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not confident in Rogers, Whalen and Brazil. Not yet..

What's wrong with bringing in a proven young veteran, good hands and route running and he's a much bigger body.

Seems like a good player off the field and in the locker room.

Reggie is 35 and will be turning 36 this year. And in the final year of his contract. Besides Hilton.. Who else has proven themselves. If we sign Decker and a lose Reggie..

I'm hoping Da'Rick can be that guy opposite of Decker in 2015. And TY goes back in the slot.

I am not convinced that the Colts will be a contender for the next 13-15 years. A contender to win the weak AFC South for a while, yes, but not a Super Bowl contender for all of those years. Plus you can never count on that. Any player in the NFL including Andrew Luck can have his career end with one big hit and the Colts do a very poor job of protecting their franchise QB. But, I hope you are right. Not many teams are contenders for long periods of time. The best chance is the next three years while Luck is still on his rookie contract. After that, Grigson will have the same problems that Polian did keeping a good cast around Luck. I watched NFL Today yesterday and they were predicting that Russell Wilson could be the QB to win more than four Super Bowls. They all agreed that Andrew Luck is better but he may never have the team that Wilson has and they are still young. That is the team that will contend for the next ten years or more.

With the salary caps...you never know about your 'surrounding casts.'  

I do like the 'One big hit' comment.  It can happen.

Even though I'm a Colts fan, I live in Colorado and watch the Broncos whenever them and the Colts are on at separate times. You guys are wrong about Decker, he is an excellent receiver with great hands that always finds his way into the end zone. I normally wouldn't be up for paying a free agent WR a lot of money, but if Manning can make look good, so can Luck. I'd rather have a 25 year old FA that is a lock for 1,000 yds+ on our team than a draftee that turns out to be a bust.

You can say, "oh the money" and all that, but we are spending on Free agency already, and we can grab a Gabe Jackson or a Tyler Swanson in the draft this way or maybe even a Chris Borland. We need that guy post-Reggie Wayne, Decker is it. Everyone looks good under Manning, but that's not a reason not to take Decker.

NO NO NO 

Woke up this morning to the NFL alert on my phone. I read "Colts interested in..." then I click it and it says "Erik Decker" If this is a real report from a real source, I'm scared what Grigson is about to do this FA.

WR is a small need compared to the rest of what our team needs and now you're telling me that my team wants to fill that very small need with a highly over-priced/over-valued WR. He's like a poor mans Jordy Nelson, except he's only poor because Erik Decker took all the money. PFM is the only reason he is able to demand WR1 money and we all know he makes WRs look a lot better than they actually are. Look, I'm not saying Erik Decker isn't a good football player, because he is. But he is not worth WR1 money. When you have a QB like Luck, you never need to overspend for WRs, Luck will get it done fine with Wayne/Rogers/Brazill/Whalen, heck just bring in Maclin for cheap. Anything but the top WR target that everyone will be bidding for. 

Seriously though, on the long list of FAs, Erik Decker was the ONE I wanted the least. Someone is going to overpay heavily for his services. Let's hope this source is completely wrong. 

In my opinion, I don't think we need any more WR's, but a few won't hurt for the sake of depth. We already have T.Y. Hilton and Reggie Wayne along with great TE's in Allen and Fleener, plus a good #3/#4 WR in Brazill after he showed signs of life in several games, and Rogers can only do anything but improve. Whlaen can move and is also a great option as a #4 receiver. DHB is a lost cause as a WR, but is a great ST player. I'd love for Decker to be in Indy, he's proven that he can be a #1 WR, but personally I think we're good on the position for now. It won't bother me if they sign him, though, it's good to have WR's that can play.

NO NO NO

Woke up this morning to the NFL alert on my phone. I read "Colts interested in..." then I click it and it says "Erik Decker" If this is a real report from a real source, I'm scared what Grigson is about to do this FA.

WR is a small need compared to the rest of what our team needs and now you're telling me that my team wants to fill that very small need with a highly over-priced/over-valued WR. He's like a poor mans Jordy Nelson, except he's only poor because Erik Decker took all the money. PFM is the only reason he is able to demand WR1 money and we all know he makes WRs look a lot better than they actually are. Look, I'm not saying Erik Decker isn't a good football player, because he is. But he is not worth WR1 money. When you have a QB like Luck, you never need to overspend for WRs, Luck will get it done fine with Wayne/Rogers/Brazill/Whalen, heck just bring in Maclin for cheap. Anything but the top WR target that everyone will be bidding for.

Seriously though, on the long list of FAs, Erik Decker was the ONE I wanted the least. Someone is going to overpay heavily for his services. Let's hope this source is completely wrong.

2585233-stripes_lighten_up_francis.jpg

RIP, Harold!

In my opinion, I don't think we need any more WR's, but a few won't hurt for the sake of depth. We already have T.Y. Hilton and Reggie Wayne along with great TE's in Allen and Fleener, plus a good #3/#4 WR in Brazill after he showed signs of life in several games, and Rogers can only do anything but improve. Whlaen can move and is also a great option as a #4 receiver. DHB is a lost cause as a WR, but is a great ST player. I'd love for Decker to be in Indy, he's proven that he can be a #1 WR, but personally I think we're good on the position for now. It won't bother me if they sign him, though, it's good to have WR's that can play.

DHB isn't going to be anything for the Colts. He's a FA and he ain't coming back.

lol this will probably happen now since nobody here wants it to happen. And this forum was soooo wrong last year on FA/draft predictions.

hey now.  i predicted Decker to the colts on Jan 14  :)  http://forums.colts.com/topic/25782-next-year/

I love going back to look at replies to my post like bap's that i quoted below.

haha add eric decker? What do you think? This is Madden? That's Peyton's favorite target

lol, at what junction did I mention the Jackson signing? That is not the issue here, nor is any of the above ramblings....

You attempt to make a direct correlation between over-paid FA WRs and team records, do you realize the extent to which your logic is irrational?

A QB, never mind a WR, cannot be directly correlated to team records. A WR has a job to do, if he does that job, he will positively impact his team, however that impact is only a fraction of what is required to determine a win or loss.

By that same logic, any of the highly-paid players on teams with a losing record, are not worth their money.

Clearly you find me to be illogical, and that's fine.  I am equally confused how one could not understand that in a capped sport, where a team spends its money is critically important.  Decker's contract would directly impact the Colts ability to add equal quality players at several other positions in my opinion.  As any $10m, or more, a year player impacts a teams ability to sign other players.  How a cap is managed matters.  I stand by my position, which is WR is not the best bang for the cap buck.  Nobody has to agree. 

the team is already paying ton of money to Cherilus, will be paying (i assume) nice money for Castonzo so im guessing, if this is true, they are not taking a C in FA because it would have too much money tied to 1 position. 

I understand that C and probably ILB/S are higher needs but i guess the team also feels that a WR at 35 coming of reconstructive knee surgery + the fact that he eventaully will retire is reason enough to look for FA WR...assuming the Report has any merit

maybe the team doesnt want that much money tied up to OL. The team is already paying good money to Cherilus and more than decent to Thomas. Im guessing they are looking at extending Castonzo. if they were to sign a C, say EDS, that would be TONs of money tied up to 1 unit. I guess draft a C and sign the FA WR and maybe a ILB? or S?

IF the report has any merit of course, cause last season we were supposed to be all over vasquez and avril.

In my mind, many things wrong with the responses in this thread.

1. WR is not a need?  Can't understand that for the life of me.  There is Hilton and a bunch of ??'s.  Wayne is old and coming off a serious knee injury.  Brazill & Rogers have done enough knuckleheaded things that relying on them and not having alternate plans seems foolish at best.  This is to say nothing of their talent level, which is truly unproven at this point.  Whalen is average at best.  The math of that adds up to WR being a need.

2. The belief that spending $$ on a FA WR like Decker means they will foresake other needs.  Grigson and company know the needs of the team and will most certainly have a plan in place to address those needs, either in FA or the draft.  There will be new faces in the O'line interior.

3. Manning made Decker?  Really?  I remember him making plays when Scattershot Tebow was throwing to him.  Certainly Manning helped his #'s but the guy can play.

4. And why anyone on a message board that he does not deserve more than $5 million per is a mystery.  The teams will set the market and if someone pays him more than that, then that is what is deserves.

maybe the team doesnt want that much money tied up to OL. The team is already paying good money to Cherilus and more than decent to Thomas. Im guessing they are looking at extending Castonzo. if they were to sign a C, say EDS, that would be TONs of money tied up to 1 unit. I guess draft a C and sign the FA WR and maybe a ILB? or S?

IF the report has any merit of course, cause last season we were supposed to be all over vasquez and avril.

I don't mind spending relatively high money on O-line, Defensive front, or QB. For DBs and offensive weapons, that's where I feel like there is more danger in overspending is because they rely so much on the other positions mentioned before. But ideally we're not overpaying anybody just because.

On the surface I can see where this would be a concern for most of us. with that said lets look at this from a football perspective.

Decker is a 15-20 yard receiver mainly. Yes sometimes less, sometimes more but his average route skill is as I stated prior.

Wayne has become a possession receiver and Ty is most effective in Decker's route range as well as speed over the top.

there is your three receiver tree. Possession, intermediate, over the top. that is the ideal route tree lineup every team strives for.

TE's are seam stretcher to open up lanes for all those route trees

Brazil, Rodgers and Whalen ( even tho I belive griff is expendable here, as he's only possession capable ) will fill that tree where they fit. Once Waynes retires, Rodgers or Brazil fills that possession route tree primarily, however each of those guys have ability to run all 3 trees

If this takes place, i.e. decker coming here than the Colts are satisfied by having 3 1B recievers instead of a true WR1 and so on down the line

Hope my logic made sense

Decker probably wants to play for a team who can pay him decent money but has a QB, i would happily give him $7-$8m a year look at the numbers he put up with Kyle Orton.

It makes sense that he would want to join a team with a long term quarterback especially a young one.

How can anyone be completely sold on any reciever on this team except TY and Reggie?

1. WR is not a need?  Can't understand that for the life of me.  There is Hilton and a bunch of ??'s.  Wayne is old and coming off a serious knee injury.  Brazill & Rogers have done enough knuckleheaded things that relying on them and not having alternate plans seems foolish at best.  This is to say nothing of their talent level, which is truly unproven at this point.  Whalen is average at best.  The math of that adds up to WR being a need.

2. The belief that spending $$ on a FA WR like Decker means they will foresake other needs.  Grigson and company know the needs of the team and will most certainly have a plan in place to address those needs, either in FA or the draft.  There will be new faces in the O'line interior.

3. Manning made Decker?  Really?  I remember him making plays when Scattershot Tebow was throwing to him.  Certainly Manning helped his #'s but the guy can play.

4. And why anyone on a message board that he does not deserve more than $5 million per is a mystery.  The teams will set the market and if someone pays him more than that, then that is what is deserves.

Whalen looks like he could be a decent slot receiver and Rodgers hasn't done anything bone headed since right after his freshman season at Tennessee.    

I think Decker would make our team better but at the same time if you ask me we have enough talent and potential at WR that we don't have to spend the big bucks on a FA.  

I'd personally rather grab one in the draft.  But I'm more in the middle on this one.  I don't think it's a huge need and would rather pass but I do think he would make our team better.  I think my biggest issue is what kind of dollars is Decker going to be chasing?  

Whalen looks like he could be a decent slot receiver and Rodgers hasn't done anything bone headed since right after his freshman season at Tennessee.    

I think Decker would make our team better but at the same time if you ask me we have enough talent and potential at WR that we don't have to spend the big bucks on a FA.  

I'd personally rather grab one in the draft.  

i like both rogers and wallen...both dissapeared the last 3 games (including PO)

I could not agree more.

The colts have Hilton, Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen, already.  Not to mention Fleener and Allen. All are competent NFL receivers.  We don't need to add more young receivers.  If there is a need for any, it makes more sense to add a veteran WR than to draft a young one, as some have suggested.  Especially since a young draftee from the bottom 2nd or 3rd round won't be any farther along than what we already have.

Decker is a good, but not great, receiver, IMO.  As usual, it all comes down to PRICE.

i like both rogers and wallen...both dissapeared the last 3 games (including PO)

5 catches for 67 yards counts as disappearing?  That's the stats Whalen put up against the Pats.  Not to mention 4 catches for 32 yards against Jacksonville.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15360/griff-whalen

And that was a game where most of the team disappeared.  

Rodgers did disappear (along with most of the team) against the Pats.  But he had 1 big catch against the Chiefs for 46 yards.  And that catch if you remember was a difficult contested catch where he boxed out the DB and went up for the ball and snagged it.   

The other thing you have to remember is WR production is sometimes like that.  It's up and down.  Decker had some games where he didn't post very good stats either.  

Frankly I want to see what Rodgers can do.  Remember that last year was his rookie year, he didn't play in very many games and he didn't get to spend training camp in Indy either.  

Eric Decker barely had a 100 yards receiving for the entire year his rookie year.  

Decker makes our team better no question but at what price?  We have Da'Rick on the cheap for 3 more years.  

Report: Colts interested in free agent Decker               rotoworld.com

5819.jpg

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.

The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves.

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The colts have Hilton, Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen, already.  Not to mention Fleener and Allen. All are competent NFL receivers.  We don't need to add more young receivers.  If there is a need for any, it makes more sense to add a veteran WR than to draft a young one, as some have suggested.  Especially since a young draftee from the bottom 2nd or 3rd round won't be any farther along than what we already have.

Decker is a good, but not great, receiver, IMO.  As usual, it all comes down to PRICE.

Exactly...Decker is good but nothing special

i find the "reporter" an *...how the heck does he know Irsay pressured grigson to make the trade? or that he is the one wanting to sign the WR. how the heck does he report when its obvious he doesnt like jim? isnt a reporter supposed to be objective?

Yep.

Unfortunately, the concept is nearly extinct in that so-called profession.

Psshhhh whatever Vic(ky) Lombardi...."typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay" 

^Completely unnecessary shot at one of the best owners in the NFL

I like Decker, I do. I just think we have waaaaay more glaring holes to address than WR. Especially with Reggie coming back. Spend that money on C, G, ILB, CB, S, and re-sign Davis and McAfee. 

Even though I'm a Colts fan, I live in Colorado and watch the Broncos whenever them and the Colts are on at separate times. You guys are wrong about Decker, he is an excellent receiver with great hands that always finds his way into the end zone. I normally wouldn't be up for paying a free agent WR a lot of money, but if Manning can make look good, so can Luck. I'd rather have a 25 year old FA that is a lock for 1,000 yds+ on our team than a draftee that turns out to be a bust.

You can say, "oh the money" and all that, but we are spending on Free agency already, and we can grab a Gabe Jackson or a Tyler Swanson in the draft this way or maybe even a Chris Borland. We need that guy post-Reggie Wayne, Decker is it. Everyone looks good under Manning, but that's not a reason not to take Decker.

I too live in Colorado.... Decker is a good receiver, BUT NOT a #1 WR...  that is the money he is looking for and why the Broncos will let him test the market... IF He is as good as he thinks he is and the Broncos are in a WIN NOW Mode why would they not keep him off the market.... He was totally taken out of the SB .. could not get any separation...  

If he would come in for less money he would be a nice signing, BUT We have more urgent needs.. staring with the the OL... Center 1st... We need to get Luck set up with his long term Center and get the chemistry building... IMO

DHB isn't going to be anything for the Colts. He's a FA and he ain't coming back.

I fully expected that to happen. I can't say I'm glad he'll be leaving but he was just a terrible receiver but a great ST player. I felt bad for him at times because he worked his butt off and being a receiver just isn't his thing.