Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Eric Decker? (Report)/Rumor (merge)

The only question is will that receiver turn out to be Reggie's replacement and a starter..

Lots of grooming will be needed.

We can spend the money now and get a quality receiver that can help us win games now.

Pick your poison.

Don't matter cause decker isn't a #1 and I think we will just groom rigers this year

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't matter cause decker isn't a #1 and I think we will just groom rigers this year

I don't have a problem with grooming Rogers.. But who's to say he can stay out of trouble? Or that he will ever live up to expectations?

Decker is proven..

It's just a question on whether or not you want to pay him.

This is most likely Reggie's final year.. Decker may be his replacement.

I don't have a problem with grooming Rogers.. But who's to say he can stay out of trouble? Or that he will ever live up to expectations?

Decker is proven..

It's just a question on whether or not you want to pay him.

This is most likely Reggie's final year.. Decker may be his replacement.

Like I said Decker isn't a #1 WR so don't see him as being an option for Reggie's replacement anyway

If this happens I'm done!  

1) WR is one of the deepest positions in the draft.

2) There will be other good options in FA @ a fair price, Maclin on a prove it deal.

3) Andrew Luck will make average receivers better just the same as Manning, Brady, etc.

4) Both lines need fixed and LB help.

5) FA signings last year provided little impact, so some areas could stand to be redone. Not to mention a premium was paid for most of those signings.

I think I read that maclin and the eagles were hammering out a one year prove it deal

Also I would take Jordan Matthews, Dante Moncrief, and Jarvis Landry all over Decker. Kind of is pick your poison though unless Grigson can get a great trade deal, we'll have to spend a high round pick on a WR (Which I will applaud, since I trust his eye for talent at that position). It's a shame to think that if Grigson had better foresight, we could have used our first rounder on Josh Gordan and we wouldn't even be talking about WR as a need. Imagine that cast of receivers: TY Hilton, Josh Gordon, Reggie Wayne, and Da'Rick Rodgers. :woah:

Also I would take Jordan Matthews, Dante Moncrief, and Jarvis Landry all over Decker. Kind of is pick your poison though unless Grigson can get a great trade deal, we'll have to spend a high round pick on a WR (Which I will applaud, since I trust his eye for talent at that position). It's a shame to think that if Grigson had better foresight, we could have used our first rounder on Josh Gordan and we wouldn't even be talking about WR as a need. Imagine that cast of receivers: TY Hilton, Josh Gordon, Reggie Wayne, and Da'Rick Rodgers. :woah:

If Gordon was available for a first. Why is Rodgers always mentioned in these talks, He hasn't done anything. How about Reggie Wayne, Decker and Hilton. Decker would take over as the number one for Reggie in 2015. It would be a great pick up but expensive. None of those folks you mentioned is an established receiver like Decker. Decker is by far the best available.

If Gordon was available for a first. Why is Rodgers always mentioned in these talks, He hasn't done anything. How about Reggie Wayne, Decker and Hilton. Decker would take over as the number one for Reggie in 2015. It would be a great pick up but expensive. None of those folks you mentioned is an established receiver like Decker. Decker is by far the best available.

Prolly cause he has crazy potential and showed flashes as a walk on from the PS

Oh I'm sure he was available. The Browns were desperate and he was coming off a 2nd suspension If I remember correctly. And no one expected him to have the season he did. They didn't even use a first to get him. They got him in the supplemental draft. A first for Gordon would have been a steal. And Decker is not a number one. He was probably the 3rd best receiver on the Broncos as soon as they got Welker.

Those interceptions were not thrown by the defense...

I can't ONLY blame the ints. Yeah they were bad, but that D let 40+ points in both games. Even with the picks, that's a lot of points. I just don't see the point in overspending on a WR2 when we have a QB like Luck. With Reggie/Dwayne coming back along with growth of Rogers and Brazill, I just don't see a spot for Decker on the team, at least not for the money he will command. We should give our young guys time to develop.

I can't ONLY blame the ints. Yeah they were bad, but that D let 40+ points in both games. Even with the picks, that's a lot of points. I just don't see the point in overspending on a WR2 when we have a QB like Luck. With Reggie/Dwayne coming back along with growth of Rogers and Brazill, I just don't see a spot for Decker on the team, at least not for the money he will command. We should give our young guys time to develop.

This this this and more of this couldn't agree more

Grigson at some point indicated that they got the guys that they targeted in FA last year. The problem is that a premium and then some was paid for getting those players. Probably because many of the deals were made shortly after the market opened. If they have locked on to Decker then I bet there is a good chance it happens again. Is Decker really that much better than other options in FA compared to what it will probably cost? Get the lines fixed, find some help at LB. If there isn't anything decent left in the WR FA Pool then worse case move up higher in the 2nd to get a receiver they really like.

i really don't understand why every one think WR is a small need we have 3 very un-proven WR and one turning 36 next year coming off ACL surgery. FYI everyone isn't Peterson. the colts front office is very unsure how reggie will be able to perform next year were going to have get that number 1 WR when reggie leaves and were probably at least at some point going to have to pay him a lot of dough so why not sign decker now and get it taken care of and let him build a relationship with luck now so when reggie retires we can be set

i really don't understand why every one think WR is a small need we have 3 very un-proven WR and one turning 36 next year coming off ACL surgery. FYI everyone isn't Peterson. the colts front office is very unsure how reggie will be able to perform next year were going to have get that number 1 WR when reggie leaves and were probably at least at some point going to have to pay him a lot of dough so why not sign decker now and get it taken care of and let him build a relationship with luck now so when reggie retires we can be set

maybe not very unproven but they are unproven

I don't disagree that WR is a need, but I don't think Decker is the the guy to fill that need especially for what he will probably cost ... For the price I can see him getting I would expect a #1 WR and I don't see Decker as that player.

Playing with Peyton elevated his stats/performace he is a solid #2 not even close to your #1 WR/ 

I really don't think Decker is a bad receiver but he is not worth number #1 money IMO.  Peyton is very good at inflating stats for any receiver. I mean he made Blair White look good for a season. But it's not really safe to assume that Decker would require #1 money to come here. Didn't Welker get less from Denver than his New England offer because he felt slighted? It was only a couple hundred $K if I remember correctly but still we shouldn't assume anything.

But do we really need a number one receiver? Don't we have a replacement for Reggie already? I mean he's by no means a 6'3"-6'5" 200+ pound speed demon that everyone thinks you have to be in order to be a true number one. But isn't the number one the guy that averages around 100 catches a season and between 1000-1500 yards a season? Unless you have an offense like Denver had last year that is pretty typical for a number one on most teams. And we have someone that is pretty close to that already with 82 catches and 1038 yards. Yes TY Hilton is small, but he plays the slot and outside. He fights for contested balls and wins. You don't have to be over 6' to be a number one. 

I think if Decker comes here for the right price then great because the more talent the better our offense will be. But I don't think we need him.

Watching some games of the Broncos right now and studying Decker he is a very crafty route runner, very smart. Not going to beat you with pure speed regularly but will look a Corner off and show one route with his eyes and do another, Very smart wr

I can't ONLY blame the ints. Yeah they were bad, but that D let 40+ points in both games. Even with the picks, that's a lot of points. I just don't see the point in overspending on a WR2 when we have a QB like Luck. With Reggie/Dwayne coming back along with growth of Rogers and Brazill, I just don't see a spot for Decker on the team, at least not for the money he will command. We should give our young guys time to develop.

I don't see that growth that you see in Rogers and Brazill. I think they are back up WR and no more. Reggie is a year older and closer to retirement and he may not be the same. We still do not know if Dwayne can play and stay on the field. Right now, Decker is just better than anyone you have and that includes Hilton. Now, the money might be an issue but I see real problems with the WR core. Luck didn't look so good for a few weeks when Reggie went down. If he doesn't have very good receivers, he will struggle. You can draft a WR that might work out. Decker is a proven commodity who can play right now.

I don't see that growth that you see in Rogers and Brazill. I think they are back up WR and no more. Reggie is a year older and closer to retirement and he may not be the same. We still do not know if Dwayne can play and stay on the field. Right now, Decker is just better than anyone you have and that includes Hilton. Now, the money might be an issue but I see real problems with the WR core. Luck didn't look so good for a few weeks when Reggie went down. If he doesn't have very good receivers, he will struggle. You can draft a WR that might work out. Decker is a proven commodity who can play right now.

I'd have a VERY hard time saying that Decker was better than TY. They are almost too different to compare to be honest. But I would take TY over Decker even without taking into account the amount they each cost. I think TY is a star. He's got more speed then decker, same hands in my opinion, and he makes bigger plays when the ball is in his hands than Decker. They both had 1000+ yards this year. Sure TY didn't have the 10 TDs that Decker had, but his QB wasn't throwing for 55 TDs during the year either. With 55, that's a lot of TDs to go around. And on top of that, 4/10 were in a single game. 

If we want to address the WR issue, do it with someone cheaper than a WR2 looking for WR1 money. If the Broncos don't think he's a #1 caliber WR and they've had him for 4 years and won't pay him, then why should the Colts believe he will be our #1 when Reggie retires? Honestly I would much rather draft a WR in this WR-heavy draft(maybe 2nd/3rd round) then spend so much of the cap on a player that just wouldn't make our team THAT much better. 

Spend that money on that defense and the O-line and then draft a WR(I vote Jordan Matthews/Davante Adams in 2nd or Bruce Ellington-South Carolina in the 5th). Note: I personally want to draft a ILB(Chris Borland please), CB(Stanley Jean-Baptiste) or a S(Ed Reynolds-Stanford maybe) and let our young guys grow. I saw a lot of potential at end of the year and during playoffs to believe either Brazill or Rogers could make the jump to solidify that #2 spot.

I don't see how you lose signing Decker.  He's big, physical, fast enough, 26, and has good hands.  He would have caught 95% of the drops DHB had, IMHO.  The Colts will lose some of their FA either by other teams or deciding to let them walk, thus freeing up some $$.  I don't think they will end up with him, but I sure wish they would, 'cuz I think he's very good...

10 days ago from CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24447812/broncos-wr-eric-decker-my-priority-is-taking-care-of-my-family

Decker ranked in the top 15 in every major receiving category in 2013, catching 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns, but a lot of that had to do with Manning. Before Manning came to Denver in 2012, the fourth-year receiver totaled 50 catches for 718 yards and nine touchdowns in two seasons combined.

If Decker wants No. 1 receiver money for those statistics, he's not admitting it -- at least not publicly, "It's not all about the money for me. It's about going to work every day and having fun and enjoying my job," Decker said. "For me it's 'am I going to have fun going to work every day' that doesn't add up to any dollar amount. That's priceless."

So Cooper and Maclin got roughly 5 mil per/yr. What do you think Decker's contract comes in at? I have seen some estimates saying 10 mil per/yr. I would hope the Colts pass on something like that. Put your GM hat on, what would be your walk away point for average annual $?

For the money that Decker is likely to demand, we could probably sign Hakeem Nicks on a one-year prove-it deal (similar to DHB last year, but hopefully with better results) and a mid-tier guard to bring in to compete with Thornton for the starting spot, or provide solid depth. I think that would be a much smarter thing to do and that would be the most I would be willing to spend on a FA WR, I just don't think our recieving corps is bad enough to justify soending $10mil per year.

I don't understand all the hate, having decker will help the oline... He will create separation and luck will be able to get rid of the ball faster.... Would some of you really want to spend 6 million (not that it's your money to spend) on a center not named Mack and not spend 8 million on a proven 1000 yard reciever?

Please note that reggie is coming off a major injury and is 36..... Also note that the rest of the colts recievers minus hilton.... Are all unproven.

For the money that Decker is likely to demand, we could probably sign Hakeem Nicks on a one-year prove-it deal (similar to DHB last year, but hopefully with better results) and a mid-tier guard to bring in to compete with Thornton for the starting spot, or provide solid depth. I think that would be a much smarter thing to do and that would be the most I would be willing to spend on a FA WR, I just don't think our recieving corps is bad enough to justify soending $10mil per year.

Yeah, might as well sign a receiver who can't stay on the field. That will be a real bargain. Someone is going to pay Nicks big money too.

10 days ago from CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24447812/broncos-wr-eric-decker-my-priority-is-taking-care-of-my-family

Decker ranked in the top 15 in every major receiving category in 2013, catching 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns, but a lot of that had to do with Manning. Before Manning came to Denver in 2012, the fourth-year receiver totaled 50 catches for 718 yards and nine touchdowns in two seasons combined.

If Decker wants No. 1 receiver money for those statistics, he's not admitting it -- at least not publicly, "It's not all about the money for me. It's about going to work every day and having fun and enjoying my job," Decker said. "For me it's 'am I going to have fun going to work every day' that doesn't add up to any dollar amount. That's priceless."

So Cooper and Maclin got roughly 5 mil per/yr. What do you think Decker's contract comes in at? I have seen some estimates saying 10 mil per/yr. I would hope the Colts pass on something like that. Put your GM hat on, what would be your walk away point for average annual $?

Yes, there is a big difference between Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning throwing the ball. It will be a big step back to have Andrew Luck as a his QB but can he do better? I think he would be a great fit for Carolina and Cam Newton.

I don't understand all the hate, having decker will help the oline... He will create separation and luck will be able to get rid of the ball faster.... Would some of you really want to spend 6 million (not that it's your money to spend) on a center not named Mack and not spend 8 million on a proven 1000 yard reciever?

Please note that reggie is coming off a major injury and is 36..... Also note that the rest of the colts recievers minus hilton.... Are all unproven.

A thousand yrd wr under Manning is not impressive. Now if Bay Bay was available, thats a different story.

Yes, there is a big difference between Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning throwing the ball. It will be a big step back to have Andrew Luck as a his QB but can he do better? I think he would be a great fit for Carolina and Cam Newton.

Dear God...

Decker isn't a guy thats going to beat coverage regularly with his speed, he is going to beat you with his brain, smart routes and good hands. He is crafty......But its been proven if a Corner is able to get physical with him he is a none factor(Just look at the SB for that)....Solid #2 but not worth a long term deal if thats what he wants and certainly not #1 money

No hate dude  but the only thing thats gonna help this O-Line is O- Lineman , Luck has had to get rid of the ball way to quick already with our swiss chesse   O- Line  ,  we have weapons coming back on offense what they need is a Offensive Line to protect 12 . Let decker create separation some where else .

No hate dude  but the only thing thats gonna help this O-Line is O- Lineman , Luck has had to get rid of the ball way to quick already with our swiss chesse   O- Line  ,  we have weapons coming back on offense what they need is a Offensive Line to protect 12 . Let decker create separation some where else .

What? Also no hate to you but Luck takes way to long to get rid of the ball. That is a large part of the problem with the O-Line.

What? Also no hate to you but Luck takes way to long to get rid of the ball. That is a large part of the problem with the O-Line.

I agree he does & IMO part of the reason is waiting on receivers to get open as well . The O-line especially at center is weak all area's need improvement .

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Interesting tidbit I found ..

I agree he does & IMO part of the reason is waiting on receivers to get open as well . The O-line especially at center is weak all area's need improvement .

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Interesting tidbit I found ..

That's from last season. Luck's time to throw this season was about league average. Beraguarde is wrong once again.