Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Eric Decker? (Report)/Rumor (merge)

Psshhhh whatever Vic(ky) Lombardi...."typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay" 

^Completely unnecessary shot at one of the best owners in the NFL

I like Decker, I do. I just think we have waaaaay more glaring holes to address than WR. Especially with Reggie coming back. Spend that money on C, G, ILB, CB, S, and re-sign Davis and McAfee. 

I agree....wasn't Vic one of the experts that said the Colts failed in free agency last year because we signed a bunch of marginal players despite having tons of cap space? So at what point did Irsay start "meddling"?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 catches for 67 yards counts as disappearing?  That's the stats Whalen put up against the Pats.  Not to mention 4 catches for 32 yards against Jacksonville.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15360/griff-whalen

And that was a game where most of the team disappeared.  

Rodgers did disappear (along with most of the team) against the Pats.  But he had 1 big catch against the Chiefs for 46 yards.  And that catch if you remember was a difficult contested catch where he boxed out the DB and went up for the ball and snagged it.   

The other thing you have to remember is WR production is sometimes like that.  It's up and down.  Decker had some games where he didn't post very good stats either.  

Frankly I want to see what Rodgers can do.  Remember that last year was his rookie year, he didn't play in very many games and he didn't get to spend training camp in Indy either.  

Eric Decker barely had a 100 yards receiving for the entire year his rookie year.  

Decker makes our team better no question but at what price?  We have Da'Rick on the cheap for 3 more years.  

im not even saying sign Decker i agree we have more holes and his price would probably mean we wont get other players.

Rogers was non existant the last 3 games. Yes i remember perfectly the catch vs the chiefs, but thats about it. He didnt do anything else. it was contested and which is why i have posted this before...he has taht BUT, that big play potential that we all love so thats why we like him so much but stop cmon you need more than 1 catch.

Yea i meant Rogers not Whalen. The thing with Whalen, IMO of course, is that i dont see anything special, he catches balls but idont know i just dont see him as anything that we cant  get better at or that he is something he provides nobody else has. we can do much better

agree on teh up and down/WR thing, but he(Rogers) only had 15 rec on 7 games (including Playoffs). As much as i like him and i want us to give him every chance to suceed, we cant deppend on him YET.

They need to pull the trigger and sign a G C and CB since we can't sign a good FS we should draft one and an ILB too

Not worry about signing one if the top WR FA if they really think they need a WR (we don't IMO) get one late in the draft or as and UDFA and get a real playmaker in the 1st in the next draft

The only question is will that receiver turn out to be Reggie's replacement and a starter..

Lots of grooming will be needed.

We can spend the money now and get a quality receiver that can help us win games now.

Pick your poison.

I really hope they don't sign him. He is a good receiver, but he screams overpaid player to me. I would rather invest in the offensive line and defense.

Sign a decent inside linebacker and defensive lineman like Arthur Jones or Red Bryant if he gets released.

I would also look at an offensive lineman like Rhinehart from the Chargers.

Look for all ya'll saying Decker isn't a number 1 receiver. I ask this? Do you think Jordy Nelson is? Jordy and decker are the same and Jordy is phenominal in that system as the virtual number one target slightly ahead of cobb who is TY to us

I do think Jordy Nelson is a #1. I also think he's better than Decker as well. I wouldn't want either one on this Colts squad though, well at least I wouldn't want to Pay for either one on this team. It's too much for a small area of need. If you are going to overspend, do it on the O-line or Defense. I'd much rather pay for Mack or Byrd then pay for Decker or Nelson(I know Nelson isn't available). The offense is not the reason we lost in the playoffs, it's that DEFENSE. 

In my mind, many things wrong with the responses in this thread.

1. WR is not a need?  Can't understand that for the life of me.  There is Hilton and a bunch of ??'s.  Wayne is old and coming off a serious knee injury.  Brazill & Rogers have done enough knuckleheaded things that relying on them and not having alternate plans seems foolish at best.  This is to say nothing of their talent level, which is truly unproven at this point.  Whalen is average at best.  The math of that adds up to WR being a need.

2. The belief that spending $$ on a FA WR like Decker means they will foresake other needs.  Grigson and company know the needs of the team and will most certainly have a plan in place to address those needs, either in FA or the draft.  There will be new faces in the O'line interior.

3. Manning made Decker?  Really?  I remember him making plays when Scattershot Tebow was throwing to him.  Certainly Manning helped his #'s but the guy can play.

4. And why anyone on a message board that he does not deserve more than $5 million per is a mystery.  The teams will set the market and if someone pays him more than that, then that is what is deserves.

I would add to this: experience.  The experience level of Whalen, Rodgers and Brazill can be measured in games.  Outside of Reggie, who is 36 and coming off knee reconstruction, Fleener and Hilton are the most experienced receiving options on the team.  Allen, who is also coming off surgery, is sitting at one year of experience. 

Wayne, Decker, Hilton would be one heck of a set of WRs add in the tightends, our backup WRs and the backs who can catch out of the backfield and we might have the best passing options in the league if we land Decker.

The way you just wrote that...makes me want Decker a little more than I did!!  Looks good!  :thmup:

I can't express just how much I hope this isn't true. Decker's gonna want a bunch of money and quite frankly, he isn't worth it and we should not be this desperate for a WR. I really hope Grigson meant what he said about spending money wisely and IMO signing Decker isn't wise at all. Stick with spending the money on the trenches and shoring up the rest of the defense. 

Source?  Not that I am really all that interested in him, but I just hadn't seen anything to that effect.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles are expected to re-sign free agent Jeremy Maclin to a one-year contract.
The Eagles and Riley Cooper are hammering out a new deal at this moment. It appears Philadelphia wants to lock up both free-agent receivers before the market opens on March 11. Beat writer Jeff McLane says Maclin's deal will "most likely" be a one-year, "show me" contract in an effort to rehab his value after tearing his ACL last July. Maclin would be the favorite for No. 2 duties. Feb 26 - 5:19 PM

I don't think WR is a need for us this year. We NEED  a CB, S, K, P, because those are our current FA. After that, we need to UPGRADE at C, LB, DL and maybe G and CB. When that is done, then we can look at WR, but we obviously won't have the money. 

The way I see it, our passing game was good last year. Our run game was so-so. Our run D was bad, and passing D was so-so. If we upgrade our OL and DL, we'll get the ball more, and hold it longer, making our passing game and run game better. It's a trickle down effect. Getting the ball more often and keeping it longer wins football games. I don't think Decker is going to help us with that as much as a C, DL, LB, or G would.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles are expected to re-sign free agent Jeremy Maclin to a one-year contract.
The Eagles and Riley Cooper are hammering out a new deal at this moment. It appears Philadelphia wants to lock up both free-agent receivers before the market opens on March 11. Beat writer Jeff McLane says Maclin's deal will "most likely" be a one-year, "show me" contract in an effort to rehab his value after tearing his ACL last July. Maclin would be the favorite for No. 2 duties. Feb 26 - 5:19 PM

Of course it's never done until it's signed.  But with his concussion problems, he would probably get a better deal with Philly than any other team, to be honest.

I hope we don't sign him. If we get a WR it should be through the draft. Moncrief or Mathews. Surely Grigs wouldn't give him the kind of money he will want.

This. WRs are a dime a dozen. No need to overpay for one. He's not a game changer either like Megatron, Alshon Jeffrey, Julio,etc... I don't care if we have to use our first pick, but we should draft a receiver. Rookies are essentially free.

I don't know why everyone thinks Irsay is Jerry Jones or something. Dude doesn't make personnel decisions.

He doesn't make personnel decisions but I think he's definitely involved in contract negotiations.  Irsay is the one who spoke openly to the media about making Peyton the highest paid QB in the league (I believe he did the same when Freeny signed his last contract...which made him the highest paid defensive player in the league at the time if I remember correctly), and Irsay is the one who went to twitter bragging about making Cherilus the highest paid RT in the league.  

1. What? Irsay is not Jerry Jones he is not "meddlesome" and he didn't pressure Grigson into any moves.

2. Hopefully we don't pay him too much.

Your comment is just as incorrect as the writer saying that Irsay did meddle.  We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, and I for one don't believe for a second that Irsay takes a completely hands-off approach.

This. WRs are a dime a dozen. No need to overpay for one. He's not a game changer either like Megatron, Alshon Jeffrey, Julio,etc... I don't care if we have to use our first pick, but we should draft a receiver. Rookies are essentially free.

And yet the Colts offense sputtered to a halt when Wayne went down.

The WR market is quite frankly, ridiculous. When Mike Wallace can get a contract worth 12M a year after an 800 yard season, who knows what Eric Decker is going to get after a couple years with P Money. If he gets an Antonio Brown-like deal (8M a year), I might be alright with signing him. Anything north of that is just too much when we have more pressing needs.

I do feel like WR is a potential need. Wayne is getting old and coming off a bad injury. Brazill and Whalen are nothing more than regular guys you could pick off someone's practice squad. Rogers is just a big body guy with potential that everyone seems to have fallen in love with because he's big. The guy didn't even make the final cut in Buffalo, why does everyone seem to think it's a certainty he'll turn into Calvin Johnson? I would love for these younger guys to turn into formidable WRs, but as of right now they are extremely unknown. I know people would laugh at the idea, but I would be totally fine with signing Sydney Rice to a one year, prove it deal. The guy has ability, but he's just had bad luck with injuries. I think it makes more sense than signing Decker to a 5Y/65M contract that will only hinder our ability to keep our own guys in the future.

Wouldn't mind signing Decker, BUT not for # 1 WR money. he is good, but he is no AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, or Dwayne Bowe. I mean if we wouldn't pay Garcon that kinda money, why would we pay Decker that?

He is way better than Dwayne Bowe and Garcon`.  I agree about the others but he is going to get number one money from someone.

I think they might draft a WR. I am not impressed with current receiving core with Reggie getting older. I think it is an area that needs some work. Other than Reggie, there is no number one receiver on the Colts roster and who knows how he will be getting another year older and coming off of a serious injury. Decker is certainly the best free agent WR available and I think Denver will draft a receiver and let him go. Peyton will make anyone look good.

I do think Jordy Nelson is a #1. I also think he's better than Decker as well. I wouldn't want either one on this Colts squad though, well at least I wouldn't want to Pay for either one on this team. It's too much for a small area of need. If you are going to overspend, do it on the O-line or Defense. I'd much rather pay for Mack or Byrd then pay for Decker or Nelson(I know Nelson isn't available). The offense is not the reason we lost in the playoffs, it's that DEFENSE. 

Those interceptions were not thrown by the defense...

im not even saying sign Decker i agree we have more holes and his price would probably mean we wont get other players.

Rogers was non existant the last 3 games. Yes i remember perfectly the catch vs the chiefs, but thats about it. He didnt do anything else. it was contested and which is why i have posted this before...he has taht BUT, that big play potential that we all love so thats why we like him so much but stop cmon you need more than 1 catch.

Yea i meant Rogers not Whalen. The thing with Whalen, IMO of course, is that i dont see anything special, he catches balls but idont know i just dont see him as anything that we cant  get better at or that he is something he provides nobody else has. we can do much better

agree on teh up and down/WR thing, but he(Rogers) only had 15 rec on 7 games (including Playoffs). As much as i like him and i want us to give him every chance to suceed, we cant deppend on him YET.

That's still slightly more then 2 catches a game for a rookie who didn't even spend training camp with us.  

Lets call it 6 games because in the first game he played very few snaps because DHB was still the starter.  And then its 2.5 catches a game average.

Also lets remember even if we don't sign or draft any other WR's we arn't really depending on Da'Rick.  WR 1 and 2 are still Reggie Wayne and TY Hilton.  So that gives us a chance to see what he can do in his 2nd year before we consider asking him to replace Wayne.

Whalen probably has a fairly low ceiling and is for the most part not much more then a pair of good hands.  But I'm not sure you need a lot more in a slot receiver.  

He is way better than Dwayne Bowe and Garcon`.  I agree about the others but he is going to get number one money from someone.

He is not a #1 and he is not better the Garcon, Garcon can consistently get separation and has better hands then some will give him credit for on here, Decker has never been a receiver thats been able to separate against the better competition consistently

Pretty sure he's going to want crazy #1 WR money. I could be wrong. However, Brazill, Whalen, and Rogers aren't exactly super reliable receivers. In my opinion they are 4th string. I guess it all depends on Reggie Wayne being back 100% and not get reinjured. What would happen if Reggie gets hurt again. Back to crap passing game again.

There's an article saying Maclin is going to get a 1 year deal with the eagles. What about Golden Tate?

He is not a #1 and he is not better the Garcon, Garcon can consistently get separation and has better hands then some will give him credit for on here, Decker has never been a receiver thats been able to separate against the better competition consistently

Apparently he has been able to get it for the last two years for lots of catches, lots of yards and lots of TDs. Garcon isn't even close and I am a fan of his.

Among the teams that have interest in Eric Decker ... Indy. If he can't play with PM, he'd love to roll with Andrew Luck.

:dunno:

Not my first option to improve our wide receiver core.

I just saw this. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-colts-decker-mutual-interest-154700984--nfl.html

I was sure that if we are going after, Decker, Irsay would be the force behind it. We are starting to look like Dallas "light".

Not necessarily against this; he can play. Maybe not our biggest "need" but neither was TE when we drafted Allen right after fleener. Grigs and Pagano will go for players they feel fit the system and will help us win games, no matter the price. example- walden.

Um, yeah it was.  Going into the 2012 draft I believe Brody Eldridge was the only TE on the roster, so TE was a huge need.  That doesn't mean I wanted the Colts to spend their 2nd and 3rd round picks on TE's, but it absolutely was a need.

And yet the Colts offense sputtered to a halt when Wayne went down.

That's because it happened randomly and the Colt's weren't prepared. But Reggie going down was a blessing in disguise. It made Luck grow by learning to spread the ball around and not always look for Reggie to bail him out.

Also when you take away the #1, teams are just going to signal in and take away the #2, as they did with Hilton. That's why you need more options. Problem was, our other options weren't fully developed but they did make a difference when they were inserted in. It also hurts, when you don't have a running game to lean on either. Brown ran well later on but its not like they were stacking the box.

No one can replace Reggie, but if he retires after this season it's not as if we are going to be gasping for air offensively. I almost forgot Wayne was injured in the Chiefs game.