Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Quotes from Press Conference

Bluefire4

Until he got the starting nod.  Then he came crashing back down to reality.

I made the mistake of looking at TR's ypc avg last year in Cleveland. He only surpassed 3 ypc in 8 games and 3 of those were 3.36, 3.39 and 3.6. I'm starting to think that this guy just doesn't have the quicks to be a big time back.

Edgerrin James surpassed 3 yards per carry in each of his 16 games his 2nd year. 13 in his first.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the mistake of looking at TR's ypc avg last year in Cleveland. He only surpassed 3 ypc in 8 games and 3 of those were 3.36, 3.39 and 3.6. I'm starting to think that this guy just doesn't have the quicks to be a big time back.

Edgerrin James surpassed 3 yards per carry in each of his 16 games his 2nd year. 13 in his first.

I'm not here to defend Trent...I think he needs to be more decisive...but lets be honest....Edge played on a team with Peyton Manning...and a pass first offense. Teams didn't load the box against him. As good as Luck is teams still load the box on us on first down. Andrew doesn't strike fear into the defense....and that has a TON to do with our WRs though. That said I would take Edge 100 out of 100 times over Trent any day of the week.

I'm not here to defend Trent...I think he needs to be more decisive...but lets be honest....Edge played on a team with Peyton Manning...and a pass first offense. Teams didn't load the box against him. As good as Luck is teams still load the box on us on first down. Andrew doesn't strike fear into the defense....and that has a TON to do with our WRs though. That said I would take Edge 100 out of 100 times over Trent any day of the week.

Edge ran the ball over 300 times a season on a regular basis and Luck is throwing the ball just as much or more than Peyton did early in his career. Teams stack the box when the colts lineup in a jumbo set and announce "we are running the ball"

Grigson's answer to the Satele question sounds similar to the answers given late in the season about DHB and Vaughn shortly before they were benched.  In other words, I think if Grigson was committed to Satele then he would have said as much.  Answering the way he did tells me he's going to do his best to upgrade the position, but if he is unable to do so then perhaps Satele comes back for one more year.

But he isn't in his second year of playing. And he's been with the Colts all along.

Yep. If by game 3 of next season Trent isn't producing, I'm ready to say that he's not going to work out.

Weird how Donald Brown took more than 2.2 seasons to have his "break-out" season...

weird how Donald's "break-out" season was a contract season...

Nope. Brown was a fast runner, so he hit the holes before they disappeared.

Indyscribe, no disrespect but you are making the point that TR is too slow. Which is precisely my point. I'd like to see what TR's 10 yard split in his 40 is. He's either too slow out of the gate or he's too indecisive. Either way too slow. I agree the OL can improve but TR may not be the RB that the experts think he is.

Indyscribe, no disrespect but you are making the point that TR is too slow. Which is precisely my point. I'd like to see what TR's 10 yard split in his 40 is. He's either too slow out of the gate or he's too indecisive. Either way too slow. I agree the OL can improve but TR may not be the RB that the experts think he is.

None taken. I agree with you. I think it's a bit of both. With a good O-Line, Trent will hit those holes. With a bad O-line, he's indecisive, and that costs him. At the beginning, everyone was talking about how Trent could lose about 10 pounds in the off season. I agree with that.

But you do have to hit the hole on time which Richardson did a horrible job at. He needs to be MUCH BETTER NEXT YEAR!! He dances too much and doesn't run hard he is a north south runner trying to be Bary Sanders. Hes not. Put your head down hit the hole an run hard. Thats how Brown got it done.

You have to hit it on time, yes. But if you're a back like Richardson, the O-line has to keep it open long enough. Trent's dancing had something to do with waiting for a hole to open. Someone posted something on here about Trent running in a zone scheme being really effective. Whether Trent is failing because of scheme, or because of poor O-line play, he needs to fix it. Also, Brown and Richardson have different running styles. Brown happens to be good at power scheme, which is what we run.

Edge ran the ball over 300 times a season on a regular basis and Luck is throwing the ball just as much or more than Peyton did early in his career. Teams stack the box when the colts lineup in a jumbo set and announce "we are running the ball"

Yep. Seems unlikely but it really was the case.

Forget Brown. How about Ballard who had 800+ yards his rookie year with a worse O-Line. And he wasn't even the starter most times.  Ask Grigs why he is so impatient. If he cuts Satele though, I'll consider it a small amount of "repentance". Going to watch the press conference now though.

Don't know how many people actually watched/listened to the presser with Grigson, but I didn't get the impression that they're leaning toward keeping him. His last words on that topic were "it's for the organization to know, and for you all to find out when the time comes." 

I hope it's not wishful thinking on my part, but I didn't think he was suggesting that Satele is going to be on the team. ::fingers crossed::

When I listened to it, I got the impression they were working on extending his contract.  Probably something a little less than the center for the Eagles.  Everyone else will find out when they release the details of the 5 year 30+ million dollar contract.

If/when that happens I think the servers for the forum will literally melt.

TRich 10 yard split was 1.56, 20 was 2.56.  Source, NFL Draft Scout

To give some comparables:

Chris Johnson 1.40/2.41

Adrian Peterson 1.53/2.58

Doug Martin 1.60/2.59

Forget Brown. How about Ballard who had 800+ yards his rookie year with a worse O-Line. And he wasn't even the starter most times.  Ask Grigs why he is so impatient. If he cuts Satele though, I'll consider it a small amount of "repentance". Going to watch the press conference now though.

Ballard is the reason why, to me, the TRich trade made no sense.  I think TRich will be a great back for the Colts in 20145 but I thought Ballard had shown he could be the #1 RB for the team.  Maybe Grigs was pushed into by Irsay and if that's the case then I hope Grigs grows a pair soon because Irsay, while a great owner, was/is not a good general manager and should not be involved in personnel decisions other than to sign the checks.

When I listened to it, I got the impression they were working on extending his contract.  Probably something a little less than the center for the Eagles.  Everyone else will find out when they release the details of the 5 year 30+ million dollar contract.

If/when that happens I think the servers for the forum will literally melt.

shoot-me.gif

nonsense. O line opened enough holes for Donald Brown to run for 5.0 ypc.

TR and DB were used different. The Colts offensive line were a joke and any knowledable NFL knows that. I am not saying that TR is going to be a real good RB but till the offensive line improves the Colts will struggle in the run game just like they did last season. If Luck wouldn't have been so good at avoiding the rush he very well could have been one of the top sacked QBs in the NFL the last two seasons. I don't care how good a RB is without a decent O-Line none of them look like superman. AKA_ Ray Rice just to name one. Even the great AP had a down season with the Vikings O-Line being not as good as the year before.

TR and DB were used different. The Colts offensive line were a joke and any knowledable NFL knows that. I am not saying that TR is going to be a real good RB but till the offensive line improves the Colts will struggle in the run game just like they did last season. If Luck wouldn't have been so good at avoiding the rush he very well could have been one of the top sacked QBs in the NFL the last two seasons. I don't care how good a RB is without a decent O-Line none of them look like superman. AKA_ Ray Rice just to name one. Even the great AP had a down season with the Vikings O-Line being not as good as the year before.

"Used different"? I guess I don't know what you mean. I can buy the argument that DB was more familiar with the playbook. he had more experience with running behind this line etc. I can buy that a lot easier than they were used different. I realize the OL was not a strong part of the team. I'm not arguing that. I didn't see every game this year so I don't know how TR and DB would have been used different. I will say this, the games that I did see, I saw TR looking hesitant. There was one game, don't remember which one, where he got to the line of scrimmage, stopped, a huge hole opened up to his right he started a cut to his left. A defensive linemen fell on the ground in front of him and he cut right into the fallen defensive linemen and got tripped up. It looked to me like he was automatically just taking the handoff and looking to make a cut, even if he didn't have to. He was appalling to watch at times. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Im just stating my observations. My observation of DB was he took the handoff and at hand off he was darn near full speed and if he needed to make a cut he did and he turned on the next gear. Same line, different results.

Ballard is the reason why, to me, the TRich trade made no sense. I think TRich will be a great back for the Colts in 20145 but I thought Ballard had shown he could be the #1 RB for the team. Maybe Grigs was pushed into by Irsay and if that's the case then I hope Grigs grows a pair soon because Irsay, while a great owner, was/is not a good general manager and should not be involved in personnel decisions other than to sign the checks.

:facepalm:

How many carries did Vick Ballard have this season? Was he available when Ahmad Bradshaw went down? Help me out here cause I don't remember. Who were our running backs (healthy) when Bradshaw went down vs the 49ers?

I'm really puzzled why people are making excuses for TR. He was down right poor.

All this 'full pre-season' guff is just extending the denial. Irrespective of DB's past, or his starting position, he is a considerably better) than Trent.

And we'll let him go to save face on a very poor trade.

No, I think we'll let Donald Brown go because he's very replaceable. It's the same logic that says we shouldn't have traded a first for Trent Richardson -- or any running back, really. 

:facepalm:

How many carries did Vick Ballard have this season? Was he available when Ahmad Bradshaw went down? Help me out here cause I don't remember. Who were our running backs (healthy) when Bradshaw went down vs the 49ers?

Vick Ballard played week one before getting hurt and IR'd, that's it. Trent Richardson and Donald Brown were our RBs when Bradshaw went down. We traded for TR before Bradshaw was hurt for the season.

If Bradshaw never got hurt the trade would look even dumberer (as much as that's possible).

I like watching press conferences because you get a sense of tone, demeanor, & points of emphasis. 

"We're in year 3. It's time for everybody to bring their A game." Translation: Our push for this starts now:  :lombardi:

"Trent Knows whats expected of him." Translation: All our RBs...Bradshaw, Ballard, Richardson, & Brown are gonna have a monster year. Nice! 

"This is a very deep draft class." Translation: Luck is getting some power pigs on the line & his picks will drop & his TDs are going to skyrocket. I'm cool with that.  :yahoo:

TR was great at forcing missed tackles, he was hit in the backfield every play.

I like Donnie Brown a lot and thought he had an excellent year.  I hope we keep him around, but kind of doubt that we will.

That being said, Donnie played in completely different packages than T-Rich for the most part.  It was usually very obvious when T-Rich was in if we were going to a run play.  Donnie picked up a lot of yards running from a shot-gun formation or when it was less obvious we were going to run, which often time didn't see a stacked box and had a hole or 2 to hit.