Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Quotes from Press Conference

Bluefire4

Grigson on lack of 1st rd pick: "(Draft is) heavy w juniors up near the top and that’s going to push down some of those seniors..."Grigson cont'd: "And push down some of those players who would have been taken higher."

On Samson Satele, Grigson said: "We have a plan in place. We’re not going to divulge that, but we’re taking all the time and due diligence"

Here's the full press conference: http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/2014-NFL-Combine-Ryan-Grigson/64ed7f69-2d97-454b-9c69-7fe69f4e1f92

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how many people actually watched/listened to the presser with Grigson, but I didn't get the impression that they're leaning toward keeping him. His last words on that topic were "it's for the organization to know, and for you all to find out when the time comes." 

I hope it's not wishful thinking on my part, but I didn't think he was suggesting that Satele is going to be on the team. ::fingers crossed::

Don't know how many people actually watched/listened to the presser with Grigson, but I didn't get the impression that they're leaning toward keeping him. His last words on that topic were "it's for the organization to know, and for you all to find out when the time comes." 

I hope it's not wishful thinking on my part, but I didn't think he was suggesting that Satele is going to be on the team. ::fingers crossed::

I got the same impression.

I think many will be disappointed when we hang onto him through the draft and on at least till TC. I think Grigson will hang on to him through the draft and into FA, And if we dont land 1 of the 3 bigtime Centers in FA I expect he will be back

Uh, this is the guy who hired him in the 1st place. If THAT wasn`t Stupid ...

Come on.....   you're not a new poster....   you've been around as long as I have...

You know what Grigson was up against when he signed on....

-- $40 Mill in dead cap space...   an $80 Mill payroll

-- Saturday was done...

-- Satele graded out very highly the year before.

The deal made sense.....   he was the best we could get all things considered....

Come on.....   you're not a new poster....   you've been around as long as I have...

-- Saturday was done...

The deal made sense.....   he was the best we could get all things considered....

nonsense. No way his play dropped off the map for us. Oakland would have kept him for that $$$ if he was any good.

nonsense. No way his play dropped off the map for us. Oakland would have kept him for that $$$ if he was any good.

Oakland was in salary cap heck of their own...

And Satele was graded out as either the highest or 2nd highest free agent center of that year....   I don't recall if it was from Pro Football Outsiders, or Pro Football Focus...   whoever does the grading on their website...    but he had a positive rating on his last year with Oakland...

I'm not making this up....

I actually heard Grigson talking on radio today, and he got to talking about T-Rich and his struggles this year.. He basically said (sumarizing and paraphrasing) that he thought T-Rich runs as hard as anyone in the NFL but he was put in a difficult position in terms of preparation and the O-line didn't create holes for him to run through. He thought with an offseason behind him T-Rich would be better prepared and he said there will be better O-line play next year... Which better be true!

I actually heard Grigson talking on radio today, and he got to talking about T-Rich and his struggles this year.. He basically said (sumarizing and paraphrasing) that he thought T-Rich runs as hard as anyone in the NFL but he was put in a difficult position in terms of preparation and the O-line didn't create holes for him to run through. He thought with an offseason behind him T-Rich would be better prepared and he said there will be better O-line play next year... Which better be true!

nonsense. O line opened enough holes for Donald Brown to run for 5.0 ypc.

-- Saturday was done...

Actually he wasn't......http://indysportsreport.com/colts/

Matt Birk

Todd Mcclure

Jeff Faine

All went for less or in Faines case not at all, Andre Gurode would have been a better option to, All better then Satele was and likely ever will be......Satele did however grade out decent according to Pro Football Focus in 2011 with a +3.0 grade...But Im not positive of the highest and lowest grade they give, Levi Brown earned an 8.9 over the second half of the season that year so I know they go up much further

Actually he wasn't......http://indysportsreport.com/colts/

Matt Birk

Todd Mcclure

Jeff Faine

All went for less or in Faines case not at all, Andre Gurode would have been a better option to, All better then Satele was and likely ever will be

I don't see what you're trying to have me read on your link....   that all looks like 2014 combine stuff...

And the links I'm referencing weren't from me...   they were from other posters who subscribe to PFF or PFO...   I don't know if that's Dustin or someone else....   but I read it here....

I don't see what you're trying to have me read on your link....   that all looks like 2014 combine stuff...

And the links I'm referencing weren't from me...   they were from other posters who subscribe to PFF or PFO...   I don't know if that's Dustin or someone else....   but I read it here....

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2012/center/

For some reason the link copied wrong the first time but thats the FA's that were picked up in 2012 at Center, considering Satele signed for 10.8 mill we might have had better for less...On a short term stop gap option of course, According to PFF Satele also had a +3.0 grade the previous year before we picked him up https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/22/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-1/ .........Not bad by any means but considering grades go way higher I dont think he did real good, serviceable I think is the word I'd use according to there grade

TR was great at forcing missed tackles, he was hit in the backfield every play.

Meh every play is definitly stretching it, He was hit alot more AT the LOS moreso then behind and SOME of that was simply because he jumped cut right away from a hole that was opened (His lost fumble is a perfect example vs the Broncos where 2 holes were open 1 of which he just jumped cut right by, Ladanian Tomlinson did an excellent job of showing that but it was easy to see on film)

Yeah, something is going on there.

TR was great at forcing missed tackles, he was hit in the backfield every play.

Because he was too slow to hit the hole. Too many stops n starts. I'm sorry but Donald Brown had the same offensive line and he had 5 yards per carry. I hope TR figures it out and he can be the man for the future I really do but he just looks too slow to me. Is that because he is slow of foot? I don't know. Maybe he was thinking too much. Maybe it was a number of things but when another RB is getting 5 yards per and he's at 2.9 I can't buy the offensive line as the entire problem.

Because he was too slow to hit the hole. Too many stops n starts. I'm sorry but Donald Brown had the same offensive line and he had 5 yards per carry. I hope TR figures it out and he can be the man for the future I really do but he just looks too slow to me. Is that because he is slow of foot? I don't know. Maybe he was thinking too much. Maybe it was a number of things but when another RB is getting 5 yards per and he's at 2.9 I can't buy the offensive line as the entire problem.

Donald Brown has been here 5 years though. Trent has only been here for less than a season. He's also had 2 coordinators in 3 years.

Donald Brown has been here 5 years though. Trent has only been here for less than a season. He's also had 2 coordinators in 3 years.

Wouldn't you have thought that if the issue was unfamiliarity that he would have atleast shown some improvement as the season went on? He had one game where he looked halfway decent. Other than that he didn't look good at all. Draw plays are draw plays, stretch plays are stretch plays, iso is an iso and lead plays are lead plays. There may have been some terminology changes but I didn't see him missing assignments. I saw him looking like he was too slow after he got the ball. Don Brown hit full tilt at handoff and kept churning. He made one cut if he had to and he was off. TR looked 2 steps slower. I don't think he had anything to do with coordinators.

Don't take me the wrong way. I hope he turns out to be a great back. I honestly don't know if the move screwed with his head or if he had a physical issue but I hope he picks up his game big time or Vick Ballard with be the main man next year, which is great I like Vick Ballard, but TR needs to get his crap together.

Just to prove I'm not against TR I will compliment parts of his game that I thought were real good. He did a nice job in pass protection and he also did a real good job catching the ball out of the backfield.

Wouldn't you have thought that if the issue was unfamiliarity that he would have atleast shown some improvement as the season went on? He had one game where he looked halfway decent. Other than that he didn't look good at all. Draw plays are draw plays, stretch plays are stretch plays, iso is an iso and lead plays are lead plays. There may have been some terminology changes but I didn't see him missing assignments. I saw him looking like he was too slow after he got the ball. Don Brown hit full tilt at handoff and kept churning. He made one cut if he had to and he was off. TR looked 2 steps slower. I don't think he had anything to do with coordinators.

Unfamiliarity has something to do with it. At the end of the season, TRich said he didn't learn the playbook until late in the season. Also, Trent was hit immediately after handing it off(teams somehow know when we run with Trent). Brown is a speedy back, and isn't hit immediately.

Don't take me the wrong way. I hope he turns out to be a great back. I honestly don't know if the move screwed with his head or if he had a physical issue but I hope he picks up his game big time or Vick Ballard with be the main man next year, which is great I like Vick Ballard, but TR needs to get his crap together.

Same here. I think it's a little bit of both. Trent just had a surgery, and it's a bit mental too. 

Unfamiliarity has something to do with it. At the end of the season, TRich said he didn't learn the playbook until late in the season. Also, Trent was hit immediately after handing it off(teams somehow know when we run with Trent). Brown is a speedy back, and isn't hit immediately.

Same here. I think it's a little bit of both. Trent just had a surgery, and it's a bit mental too. 

We'll see 3 game into next season. Hope I'm wrong but if Vick Ballard is 4.5 yards per carry and TR is 2.9 again then the playbook excuse is out the window.

Brown has had 3 coordinators in the last 3 years.

But he isn't in his second year of playing. And he's been with the Colts all along.

We'll see 3 game into next season. Hope I'm wrong but if Vick Ballard is 4.5 yards per carry and TR is 2.9 again then the playbook excuse is out the window.

Yep. If by game 3 of next season Trent isn't producing, I'm ready to say that he's not going to work out.

Until he got the starting nod.  Then he came crashing back down to reality.

Well I went back to the stats. I didn't look at games started. I looked at games where each player had double digit carries: Donald Brown 7 games with double digit carries= 4.3 yards per carry

TR had 9 games with double digit carries= 3.1 yards per carry