Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack or Dietric Smith?

Who do you guys think we will target if either? Also who would you prefer? I honestly think Dietric Smith would be the better choice. He wont demand as big of a contract, and he ranked number 1 among centers in pass protection. I think Green Bay will go all out to bring him back though.

Mack--he's the better player of the 2, and salary shouldn't be an issue as we need the best guy at the position we can get

I agree that Mack is better, but I don't think he's so much better than cost doesn't matter. And whether it's Mack or EDS (or even de la Puente), they're all many times better than Satele/McGlynn. So if I had to choose between $5m/year for EDS, or $8m/year for Mack, I'd definitely choose EDS.

It's also important to consider the overall money we have tied up in the line right now, and the money we'll be spending in the future. Castonzo is a free agent after this year. Cherilus salary goes up in 2015. Can't spend $30m/year on the offensive line, just for starters.

I'd take EDS or De La Puente either one over Mack.  I'd love to have Mack snapping the ball but feel he's going to command big bucks.  Also, I've heard that Mack loves it in Cleveland and is open to giving them right of first refusal and matching of any offers he may get.  I think the last thing we should do is get into a bidding war with the Browns after having already handed them our 1st round pick this year. 

So, in short I'd rather grab up either EDS or De La Puente, save some money in the long run and apply the savings to other needs.  Thomas looked good before the injury and should be able to hold down the one guard position but the RG spot still has some concerns in my book.  I'd much rather pick up EDS or De La Puente and then pick up someone like Geoff Schwartz from KC and pencil them in @ RG playing along side EDS or De La Puente and Thomas.  If we were to do something like that it would make our O line:

LT: Costanzo

LG: Thomas

C: EDS / De La Puente

RG: Schwartz

RT: Cherilus

It's JMO but those 2 upgrades along our O line would be a major upgrade and help overall.  I do understand the thinking that Mack played a pivotal role in T Rich having a good rookie year in Cleveland.  However, if we were to follow that line of thinking overall.  Why not just scrap the entire O line and go after the entire O line that T Rich had that year.  It's not our entire O line that has issues, its clear injuries played a factor as well as just not being very good overall at those spots. 

The addition of players such as EDS / De La Puente & Schwartz would allow for Holmes and Thorton to play as backups in order to develop further while solidifying our O line in the process.  Again, just my .02

I'm going to open a can of worms here.  How are we going to pay for both a power running game and 30mil for a future Luck.  When Irsay gave Polian some heat for Manning only winning 1 SB, Polian said when Luck's contract is up we will be in the exact same boat.  Hate to say it, but if Luck wants a defense, his OL will be mediocre at best.  I cringe when I think of 3rd and 1 for the next ten years.  I hope Khalid Holmes makes a push.  His was injured his last year at USC.  He should be fully healthy for his sophmore season.  Draft D in the first two rounds, and get offense around Luck in rounds 3 and 4.  One last thing, I don't think we have much cap space and Vontae Davis will want a big contract.  I think we should build through the draft and resign our own guys.

I would rather have Mack. Aaron Rodgers makes Smith look better then what he really is, he's a good player but not on the level of Mack. The Browns never had any good QB's and Mack still dominates his position, that tells you all you need to know about how great of a player he is. 

Rodgers definitely makes his line look good, but he missed half the year, and EDS still did well. He's a good center. Not as good as Mack, but not as costly as Mack, either. Mack might double EDS in compensation by the time FA is done. We'll see.

I'm going to open a can of worms here.  How are we going to pay for both a power running game and 30mil for a future Luck.  When Irsay gave Polian some heat for Manning only winning 1 SB, Polian said when Luck's contract is up we will be in the exact same boat.  Hate to say it, but if Luck wants a defense, his OL will be mediocre at best.  I cringe when I think of 3rd and 1 for the next ten years.  I hope Khalid Holmes makes a push.  His was injured his last year at USC.  He should be fully healthy for his sophmore season.  Draft D in the first two rounds, and get offense around Luck in rounds 3 and 4.  One last thing, I don't think we have much cap space and Vontae Davis will want a big contract.  I think we should build through the draft and resign our own guys.

Polian was incorrect. He didn't draft well in later years, simple as that. Paying a QB a lot of money (not sure where you get $30m from) makes it harder, and can magnify mistakes that are made, but it's not impossible to have a balanced roster and a highly paid QB. Beside, we have two more seasons before we have to worry about Luck's cap hit. What we need to do is nail the draft (stop trading away high picks, first of all), which is easier said than done, and that will take some pressure off of management to patch holes.

Yeah i agree, Mack will get paid but i actually prefer Brian De la Puente because i think he's more likely to sign.

Rodgers definitely makes his line look good, but he missed half the year, and EDS still did well. He's a good center. Not as good as Mack, but not as costly as Mack, either. Mack might double EDS in compensation by the time FA is done. We'll see.

Yeah i agree, Mack will get paid but i actually prefer Brian De la Puente because i think he's more likely to sign.

I prefer EDS, but I'd take BdlP as a consolation prize, and I'd be happy about it.

Edit: Part of the reason I prefer EDS is because of what the Packers did with their run game this season. It's essentially what we want to do, and EDS was a big part of it.

Edited by Superman

I'd rather overpay a little for a great O Lineman(Mack if by wild chance he hits FA) then pay a lesser amount for a middle of the road O Lineman. Great O Lineman dont grow on trees and if you dont get 1 while he is out there you find yourself usually stuck with the Mike Mcglynns or Samson Sateles of the world hoping they somehow live up to what there perceived potential was. Mack is athletic, gets to the second level with ease, works with his Guards well, Not elite power however in my opinion which would be the only reason to cause me to hesitate given our primary Power Scheme but I dont think thats such a big problem becaus eof his athleticism and how technically sound he is, He can do from what I see all of what our offense asked our Center to do (that Satele could not do)....elite O Lineman like this comes free? GO AFTER HIM!. I dont want to watch the same O line trot out there next year only to show there ineptitude at blocking. If we dont at the very least send Satele packin I would find that there is some form of disconnect or miscommunication of sorts among one or more of the staff, Hopefully we at least throw our name in the hat, I wont be ticked if we dont land him of course but we do need real established talent at at least 1 O Line spot not some middle/late in the draft O linemen we hope to get something out of in time

Who wouldn't want Mack? The question is do you spend 9 mil. on a center and my answer to that is hell no! We do not need to spend that kind of money on a center, it would be a colossal mistake IMO and would take away from putting other good players on the defense. I would much rather have a roster full of above average players than a few great players and a bunch of crap players surrounding them. Honestly, I think people should just get over the idea of signing Mack, IMO it will not happen and quite possibly won't even be thought about.

Who wouldn't want Mack? The question is do you spend 9 mil. on a center and my answer to that is hell no! We do not need to spend that kind of money on a center, it would be a colossal mistake IMO and would take away from putting other good players on the defense. I would much rather have a roster full of above average players than a few great players and a bunch of crap players surrounding them. Honestly, I think people should just get over the idea of signing Mack, IMO it will not happen and quite possibly won't even be thought about.

I think your fooling yourself if Mack somehow (and I also dont think he will) becomes available that Grigson wont entertain the idea, If he wouldn't then thats just plain stupid on his part, But yes great players cost more because they are great, Much much better then throwing out the Sateles and Mcglynns of the world like I said and hoping to god they find some talent in that wide body, great players dont come cheap, every team has a couple high priced players on there team, I'd rather invest in one of those high priced players at a key offensive position

I think your fooling yourself if Mack somehow (and I also dont think he will) becomes available that Grigson wont entertain the idea, If he wouldn't then thats just plain stupid on his part, But yes great players cost more because they are great, Much much better then throwing out the Sateles and Mcglynns of the world like I said and hoping to god they find some talent in that wide body, great players dont come cheap, every team has a couple high priced players on there team, I'd rather invest in one of those high priced players at a key offensive position

I don't think I'm fooling myself at all. I honestly do not think Grigson will entertain the idea of throwing around that kind of money for a center. Surely he knows there are too many other area's that need upgrading to use 1/3 of our available cap on 1 player, especially when that player is a center. I think Grigson proved last yr. that the big names is not where he's gonna look in free agency. I think he'll go after one of the other available guys at a much reduced price tag and still significantly upgrade the center position.

just found on Rotoworld.

Impending free agent C Alex Mack is expected to test the open market.

Mack, 28, will likely be the Browns' top priority and could be franchise-tagged, but CEO Joe Banner may not believe in dolling out that kind of cash to a center. Mack is going to be a hot commodity on the open market and is easily the top center available in free agency -- he graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 1 center in 2013. He'll probably aim for a deal similar to the one Ryan Kalil signed with the Panthers at six years and $49.1 million with $19 million guaranteed. Mack has previously said he'll give the Browns a chance to match any offer, though that was before the coaching staff was fired after one season.

would love Schwartz, he was who I really wanted last year... I think he re-signs with KC

found this on rotoworld

The Kansas City Star reports there's mutual interest between the Chiefs and impending free agent RG Geoff Schwartz.
Schwartz inked a one-year deal with the Chiefs in March and proceeded to overtake Jon Asamoah for the starting right guard job. Schwartz started eight games in total, including the playoff loss to the Colts, and graded out as a top-eight guard over at Pro Football Focus. The 27-year-old likely won't command a ton of money and has the ability to play both guard and tackle. Jan 12 - 11:34 AM

I don't think I'm fooling myself at all. I honestly do not think Grigson will entertain the idea of throwing around that kind of money for a center. Surely he knows there are too many other area's that need upgrading to use 1/3 of our available cap on 1 player, especially when that player is a center. I think Grigson proved last yr. that the big names is not where he's gonna look in free agency. I think he'll go after one of the other available guys at a much reduced price tag and still significantly upgrade the center position.

8-9 mill per year (and I dont think it would be 9 mill)is not big really if you take take into account releasing Satele and maybe Toler since he cant stay healthy and is only serviceable when healthy we would have $41,967,892.00......So

$41,967,892.00 - (lets say Mack gets 8.5 mill per year over 6 years= $51,000,000.00(workout bonuses tied into that if possible)....subtract 8.5 mill from the $41,967,892.00 you get $33,467,892.....so lets give Vontae Davis 7.2 mill per year for 5 years= $36,000,000.00 (top 15 Corner money not top 10) subtract 7.2 mill from the $33,467,892.00...Thats $26,267,892.......So that leaves:

Punter to be paid

the 3 draft picks

a hole at Corner

Lets see 4 mill a piece over the life our our drafted players contracts...That leaves $14,267,892.00 with Punter to fill (cause I'd consider drafting a FS in the mid rounds and a Corner late to replace Toler)...So lets resign Mcafee for 3 mill for 4 years= $12,000,000.00 that would put him as the 10th highest paid Punter.....So subtract 3 mill from $14,267,892,00=

$11,267,892.00 left over with resigning some players to fill out the roster fo depth...your looking at maybe 5/6/7 million left in case its needed

Just my thoughts, Im still very much learning the cap thing as I go, doubt this works but it looks good to me all typed out :funny:

I honestly doubt we target either. The offensive line actually seemed to play better near the end of the season. I would  imagine that instead of spending money on a center, Grigson will spend on the defense.

We have Khaled Holmes. I guess next season we will see what he has to offer. I would be willing to bring McGlynn back for one season as a backup. McGlynn actually played well as a center.

I would be very happy if we were to use our 3rd round pick on Austin Wentworth, OG Fresno State. He played left tackle in college, but should play guard in the pros. Think Logan Mankins 2.0

I think EDS is pretty good in run blocking as well. Lacy seemed to have some nice holes open in the middle. Best case would be for Hilmes to pan out.

I agree, but the problem is we have to make a decision in FA before we are going to really know if Holmes can be the guy , and personally I would rather be safe (and get a Center) than sorry.

I think EDS is pretty good in run blocking as well. Lacy seemed to have some nice holes open in the middle. Best case would be for Hilmes to pan out.

Best case scenario would be for Griff Whalen to become the white Megatron, but it's not likely to happen.  We can't count on Holmes right now.