Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Belichick calls out Welker for hit on Talib

amfootball

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol right because Denver obviously wanted to send their smallest WR, who's arguably their most important, on a hit mission to knock out a teams CB and risk him getting hurt himself.

Not to mention the history of his concussions, I doubt Denver would purposely try to knock a player out of the game. It was a block to try and springboard Thomas.

And I can almost bet that if Welker did that same thing in a Pats uniform, BB would be heaping all kinds of praise on Welker for the hit and "making the physical sacrifice" for his team. Give me a break.

Lol right because Denver obviously wanted to send their smallest WR, who's arguably their most important, on a hit mission to knock out a teams CB and risk him getting hurt himself.

Not to mention the history of his concussions, I doubt Denver would purposely try to knock a player out of the game. It was a block to try and springboard Thomas.

And I can almost bet that if Welker did that same thing in a Pats uniform, BB would be heaping all kinds of praise on Welker for the hit and "making the physical sacrifice" for his team. Give me a break.

Now, now we all now Bill would never heap praise on Welker. He was too busy chiding him and making cry ... (insert sarcasm) ;)

I am not sure Denver picks up the option on Welker.

Welker may not be what he was post concussions, but it's too early to tell.

Glass man Amendola was the one heralded as Welker's "replacement" and did a whole lot of nothing. Edelman is the receiver who has stepped up and played great game after game.

Edelman puts his heart in to every game. Always goes 100%. It's what I've always liked in Welker, and Edelman is the exact same way. Due to injury/buried on the depth chart Edelman has never had the opportunity to shine like he has this year.

NE would be incredibly foolish not to resign Edelman. He's more important than Talib imo. On the flip side it would be humorous for another Pats favorite (Vinny, Welker) to go to a team with Peyton on it.

So - back to the point.

The Welker pick was illegal.  Should have been flagged.  But Bill saying something about it being one of the worst plays he has ever seen?  Really?  I have seen alot worse plays every year! And I don't see near as much football as he does.

So it makes me question whether he is responding just to the play or is there some kind of a grudge between him and Welker.  He could have easily just said it was an illegal play and should have been flagged.  Period.

So - back to the point.

The Welker pick was illegal.  Should have been flagged.  But Bill saying something about it being one of the worst plays he has ever seen?  Really?  I have seen alot worse plays every year! And I don't see near as much football as he does.

So it makes me question whether he is responding just to the play or is there some kind of a grudge between him and Welker.  He could have easily just said it was an illegal play and should have been flagged.  Period.

He's bitter his cheapshot failed while the Bronco's massive retaliation succeeded.

The Edelman play wasn't called, so neither should Welker's have been. It would be a double standard. If they called the Edelman hit on DRC I'd say absolutely call Welker's hit on Talib. Both were borderline imo.

Neither "cheap shot" was as egregious as the blatant PI/mugging of Thomas all the way to the end zone on what would have been a TD and they let that go.

He's bitter his cheapshot failed while the Bronco's massive retaliation succeeded.

The Edelman play wasn't called, so neither should Welker's have been. It would be a double standard. If they called the Edelman hit on DRC I'd say absolutely call Welker's hit on Talib. Both were borderline imo.

Neither "cheap shot" was as egregious as the blatant PI/mugging of Thomas all the way to the end zone on what would have been a TD and they let that go.

I hear you.  Both plays were illegal and Welker's hit was a big hit.  But that's it.  Both should get a flag and we move on.  It does seem to me the refs miss alot of very obvious penalties.  

So - back to the point.

Agreed with this.  Technically could've been called, but being a "bang-bang" play... those never get called.

so what. Welker was the number one here and Enelman replaced his production all year and was better at returning punts and not muffing them.

You know Am I had you pegged wrong I thought after the game you would graciously say that Peyton and the Broncos played a good game and congratulations but no you come on here with all the excuses about dirty hits and such and that you don't see Denver picking up Welkers contract and you know nothing about what Denver is doing your just speculating and then you praise Edelman and tell us what a great game he had. Evidently it wasn't that great because the Pats got beat so enough of the excuses.  Bill got out coached and Brady got out played. 

Maybe next year both the Colts and Broncos both beat Brady.  How sweet would that be  :)

was I taking about the game?  . . . no . . . my only point is one that that contact was unnecessary regardless of whether is happens or not . . . I can't recall the last time I have seen two players collide at speed . . . I have seen them collide when coming in different directions . . . it different when a guy takes 7 steps and lines another guy up to complete his job in setting the pick . . .it is not the pick I take issue with, its the manner in which it was done . . . that is all . . .

that contact was absolutely necessary. LOL  DT almost caught the ball and turned to run.  How is the ball carrier's team mate blocking a would be tackler, not necessary??  seriously man, it was just a good legal shot above the knees and below the head.  Right in the legal target area.  Talib wasn't looking and he should have been, that is the problem.  Welker was just playing football.

Having watched it over and over again, I don't think it was a pick play. I think it was intended as a block at the moment Thomas catches the ball which would make it legal to pop him a good one, but he got there early or the pass got there a little late. However, it dos not look like he is targeting Talib to knock him out. He goes to the midsection, not high and not low.

Agree 100%

Welker hit talib the instant the ball hit DT in the hands. The GIF is just a few posts up

I went and watched it again.  I agree 100%

Damaged goods at this point. More of just a guy that can set picks ...

Watch the GIF.  I now realize it isnt even actually a pick.  It is a block.  The ball hits Thomas's hands and Welker immediately blocks Talib.  Nothing illegal what-so-ever.  It was just perfectly timed and executed (had Thomas held onto it) and Talib was playing gimped.  The refs won't give you a win EVERY week...  Pats fans, or at least AMFootball, need to learn how to take a loss.  This is getting ridiculous.  

Now, now we all now Bill would never heap praise on Welker. He was too busy chiding him and making cry ... (insert sarcasm) ;)

Publicly you know BB would praise Welker.

Welker went to Denver and didnt have to be the Welker he was in New England. He just made big 3rd down catches and knock Patriot players out of the game ;).

You know Am I had you pegged wrong I thought after the game you would graciously say that Peyton and the Broncos played a good game and congratulations but no you come on here with all the excuses about dirty hits and such and that you don't see Denver picking up Welkers contract and you know nothing about what Denver is doing your just speculating and then you praise Edelman and tell us what a great game he had. Evidently it wasn't that great because the Pats got beat so enough of the excuses.  Bill got out coached and Brady got out played. 

Maybe next year both the Colts and Broncos both beat Brady.  How sweet would that be  :)

You need to check the other threads Susie where I have praised Denver. But this thread is about the Welker hit on Talib. Not everything revolves around Peyton or Brady in these games. That was a huge play and significantly altered how the game was played defensively by the Pats. I was upset at the time which only got validated by Bill. I have a right to my opinion as you do yours. And Edelman was a beast all year to the tune of the most catches in the league and another 10 catch performance yesterday. That needs to be recognized too.

That was a huge play and significantly altered how the game was played defensively by the Pats. I was upset at the time which only got validated by Bill. And Edelman was a beast all year to the tune of the most catches in the league and another 10 catch performance yesterday. That needs to be recognized too.

This part is 100% right.  It was a huge loss for the Pats when Talib went down.  At that point, the game was basically over.  

This is 100% wrong.  Bill and you are both biased and wrong.  Actually watch any other person interviewed about it.  It has been talked about a lot and everyone besides Bill has validated that it was NOT A DIRTY AT ALL.  Bill is just a sore loser and said it out of spite.  

No one cares.

You need to check the other threads Susie where I have praised Denver. But this thread is about the Welker hit on Talib. Not everything revolves around Peyton or Brady in these games. That was a huge play and significantly altered how the game was played defensively by the Pats. I was upset at the time which only got validated by Bill. I have a right to my opinion as you do yours. And Edelman was a beast all year to the tune of the most catches in the league and another 10 catch performance yesterday. That needs to be recognized too.

Maybe it would be nice if you recognized these great plays on a Pats Forum instead of always posting about them on a Colts Forum and before you say it yes Peyton is a Bronco but he played for the Colts for 13 years and Brady has never played for the Colts.  Did it ever cross your mind that maybe OP are getting tired of hearing everything that the Pats are doing daily.  There is not a day that goes by that we don't see multiple post from you bragging and praising the Patriots and their players and coach.  That get a little old in my opinion. 

This is 100% wrong.  Bill and you are both biased and wrong.  Actually watch any other person interviewed about it.  It has been talked about a lot and everyone besides Bill has validated that it was NOT A DIRTY AT ALL.  Bill is just a sore loser and said it out of spite.  

Depends who you talk to about the play. Some agree with Bill, some don't. Personally I will take the word of a coach that will go down as perhaps the greatest of all time. He knows bush league when he sees it.

Maybe it would be nice if you recognized these great plays on a Pats Forum instead of always posting about them on a Colts Forum and before you say it yes Peyton is a Bronco but he played for the Colts for 13 years and Brady has never played for the Colts.  Did it ever cross your mind that maybe OP are getting tired of hearing everything that the Pats are doing daily.  There is not a day that goes by that we don't see multiple post from you bragging and praising the Patriots and their players and coach.  That get a little old in my opinion. 

I am on Pats forums too.

And I have not posted many threads about the Pats since the playoffs Susie. I have mostly been responding to threads started by others. This is the general section like you said and Peyton is not a Colt. So what is good for the goose, right?

Depends who you talk to about the play. Some agree with Bill, some don't. Personally I will take the word of a coach that will go down as perhaps the greatest of all time. He knows bush league when he sees it.

i guess he should get more familiar with rule book. We all know his inability to comprehend its contents

I am on Pats forums too.

And I have not posted many threads about the Pats since the playoffs Susie. I have mostly been responding to threads started by others. This is the general section like you said and Peyton is not a Colt. So what is good for the goose, right?

Doesn't mean that you should hijack every thread about Peyton with incessant Brady and Pats posts.

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, January 21, 2014 - name insult
Hidden by -JJ-, January 21, 2014 - name insult

As usual the pats can dish it out but can't take it,  Belichick is nothing but a Sore Loser who obviously holds a grudge against Welker.    The Whining from pats fans is normal , its the Patriot Way!!

i agree, it depends who you talk to.  If it is someone associated with the Pats, then yes, it was a dirty play.  EVERYONE ELSE, and no, it was part of the game and unfortunately Talib got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10321911/2013-nfl-playoffs-bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-unhappy-wes-welker-hit-aqib-talib

Pretty strong words from Bill on the Welker hit.

"I was asked about the hit on Talib, and I feel badly for Aqib," Belichick said. "The way that play turned out -- I went back and watched it, which I didn't have a chance to yesterday.

"It was a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib. No attempt to get open. I'll let the league handle the discipline on that play, whatever they decide. It's one of the worst plays I've seen. That's all I'll say about that."

Who knew Welker's biggest post-season play would be a dirty hit? Beats dropping passes I guess... lol.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  waaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

heeh....   I LOVEIT>.

OMG...  is this the FIRST TIME BB seen a "hard PICK" in the NFL?

NE is FAMOUS for it...

Sorry Bill.

i agree, it depends who you talk to.  If it is someone associated with the Pats, then yes, it was a dirty play.  EVERYONE ELSE, and no, it was part of the game and unfortunately Talib got hurt.

I think it was intentional. I think the hit on DRC was intentional. It's no secret that BB had issues with Welker even when he was here, and this is just an extention of the hostility that exists between them. It's not the reason why we lost. I hate when people make excuses. You can point to the final score and try to claim that the game was competitive, but anyone who actually watched the game knows it wasn't. We looked hopeless on offense before Talib wen't out, and we looked hopeless afterwards. We were never going to outscore Denver, even if their point total was slightly lower, which wasn't a guarantee should Aquib have stayed in.I love how hypotheticals always play in the favor of those that use them as well (e.g. Aquib was going to shut down DT). Who's to say that he doesn't have a terrible 2nd half and get burned a couple of times? It's completely useless to speculate.

It was IMO probably intentional based on my eye test but at the same time it's not like NE has not had dirty players in the past. Rodney Harrison ring a bell?

What bugs me most at times is the hypocrisy of the NFL and it's fans. They drove the Saints through the mud for the bounty thing when in reality in any given game in any given week I am sure there are players plotting to take out rival players even if there is not a group set bounty with the team and coaches. The Saints were just caught and made out to be THE example.

It's just the nature of the beast in the highest levels of competition. Talib being out was going to change the Patriots already ailing defense quite a bit.

On the flip side if NE could have gotten away with knocking out a few Broncos to even the playing field I am sure they would and they tried too with DRC, not that they would say it out loud but come on folks. We act like this league is all classy and pristine all the time but it isn't. A lot of teams and players will do whatever it takes at times to win games. A lot is at stake.

Off the top of my head:

-Coached the dirtiest player in the game for numerous years. He had no problem with it.

-Players on the O-line kicked the ball forward while the ref wasn't looking to advance it between downs. (Many years back vs I believe the Bears) Tony Romo did the same thing this year. Beyond those two instances I've never seen anyone else do it. Terrible sportsmanship/blatant cheating.

-The whole Spygate episode. He misinterpreted the rules.

-Tom Brady kicking Ed Reed in the balls during his slide last season. No penalty.

-Leg whip/Carolina this season. No penalty. Injured their best DE who came back late to clean Brady's clock on the last drive.

-Trip/Luck  (Just this last week. No penalty.)

-Pick play/Edelman/DRC (the previous series in the same frickin' game)

All these terrible displays of sportsmanship/flat out cheating yet Welker's hit was one of the worst things he's ever seen. The non call was borderline as the ball got there just a smidgeon after the hit. At full speed that's a bang bang play. If it makes BB feel any better perhaps WW misinterpreted the rules.

I am not sure Denver picks up the option on Welker. He has not been the same player since the concussions. I suppose that goes without saying given all we are talking about from him is his bush league hit.

Oh yeah because signing Amendola and letting Welker walk worked so well for you guys. hahaha I can't believe your gonna try to pull that argument out on Wes after the guy you replaced him with turned out to be hot garbage that you guys paid through the nose for and the Bronco's got Wes for a massive discount due to your teams inability to evaluate talent. What does Wes have to do to prove to the Patriots he's not done? Besides beat you and make you watch him play the Superbowl at home because clearly that wasn't enough...

Oh ok. But belicheck gets a pass on it just a few plays prior when Edelman did it to DRC. On top of belicheck doing it all the time in every other game. Totally legal hit. Talib just happens to be too brittle.

For what it's worth, on a local show in Boston,  two former Patriot's players, one of them, Troy Brown a former Patriots WR, and neither former player thought it was a dirty play by Welker.

They both thought it was an unfortunate play brought about because the game is so fast and you're not sure which way the other guy is going to go -- high or low -- and it sometimes turns into a game of chicken.    

But both guys thought it was simply an unfortunate play,  but definitely NOT a dirty play.

Interesting that both Patriots players disagree with Belicheck...      glad they did.    Hopefully helps put this to rest....

About time. Cant put it any better, Susie.

Always whining. Classless. Got beat so bad. BEAT DOWN.