Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early Mock Draft and FA for Colts

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because bethea had a down season you dont want to resign him? prob cheaper to resign him then it would be to sign a FA like Byrd.

Didn't he have a down season last year also? If the price is right sure. But I would upgrade if able to. IF

I certainly hope you aren't Nostradamus - IMO that would be a huge mistake to let all three of those players go.

Bethea is a liability in coverage and on the decline. We need a true FS. Angerer is garbage period, I hate that he is even on the roster. Brown is a victim of having to many backs on the roster. I cant wait to see Ballard, Bradshaw, and Richardson (At least I'm hoping this is our RB core) in the 2014 season.

Bethea isn't bad. he has had one down season. sorry to say he would be cheaper to keep then trying to sign Byrd. 

You get what you pay for....I would rather spend $ on Byrd and sign a true #2 corner that can STAY healthy. We would then have one of the best Secondaries in the league. We also need a MLB, I wouldn't mind spending some money there, and DT. Plus, we need an OG.

Free Agency - About 40 Million in Cap Space

Release

• Samson Satele - Gain 4 Million
  • Justin Anderson - Gain 495K
  • Tashard Choice - Gain 750 K
  • Weslye Saunders - Gain 645K
  • Sheldon Price - Gain 420K
  • Josh Lenz - Gain 420K
  • Dan Herron - Gain 570K
  • Chris Rainey - Gain 570K
  • Mario Harvey - Gain 570K

Resign

• Vontae Davis - 4 Years, 28 Million, 14 Million Guarenteed
  • Pat McAfee - 5 Years, 20 Million, 15 Million Guarenteed
  • Lawrence Sidbury - 1 Year, 650K
  • Adam Vinatieri - 2 Years, 4 Million
  • Sergio Brown - 3 Years, 4 Million  
  • Cassius Vaughn - 1 Year, 1 Million
  • Antoine Bethea - 3 Years, 15 Million
  • Donald Brown - 3 Years, 15 Million, 8 Million Guarenteed
  • Pat Angerer - 1 Year, 1 Million

Restricted Free Agents/ Exclusive Rights Free Agents 

• Josh Gordy - 1 Year, 1.3 Million
  • Cam Johnson - 1 Year, 1 Million
  • DT Cedric Thornton (Eagles) - 1 Year, 500K

Free Agency Signings

• Frank Zombo LB - 2 Years, 4 Million
  • Geoff Hangartner OG/OC - 3 Years, 10 Million, 3.3 Million Guarenteed
  • Corey Wootton DL - 3 Years, 12 Million
  • Antoine Cason CB - 2 Years, 4.5 Million
  • Evan Dietrich-Smith OC - 3 Years, 10 Million
  • Tony McDaniel - 2 Years, 4 Million

After this we should have around 2 Million in Cap Space to sign Draft Picks

NFL Draft

• Round 2 - FS Ed Reynolds, Stanford 
  • Round 3 - ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin
  • Round 5 - OG Brandon Thomas - Clemson
  • Round 6 - OLB Kasim Edebali - Boston College

I'll do a projected 2014 Roster in another topic.

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but man O man, do I hope our offseason don't look like this.

Really Davis, McAfee, and possibly Sergio Brown are really the only guy's I hope we resign and McAfee shouldn't get anywhere near the amount of money you're proposing.

Bethea is a liability in coverage and on the decline. We need a true FS. Angerer is garbage period, I hate that he is even on the roster. Brown is a victim of having to many backs on the roster. I cant wait to see Ballard, Bradshaw, and Richardson (At least I'm hoping this is our RB core) in the 2014 season.

I like that avatar man.

No, but IMO he's the most valuable punter in the league. His presence is extending AV's career, and that's a good thing for the Colts.

How so?  You saying that a different punter couldn't kick off? 

If Mcafee gets 4 million a year, I hope its not in Indy.  I love the guy, he is funny and a great guy to have as one of the media friendly faces of your franchise, but that is ludicrous money.  

No he isn't. He's average at best. People just like him because of his personality.

We'll, like I said, that was my opinion. I still say he's extending AV's career. In fact, when the Colts are ready to move on from Adam, it might make sense to also move on from Pat, but not before.

I like Mcafee and all, but 4 million a year for a punter seems kinda steep.

Amen, brother. Great punter, but we have some other needs. In fact, Vaughn Mayberry the only one on that resign list that I'd bring back if I could find replacements that have a better price tag for comparable production or a marked upgrade in skill for a comparable price. Other than that, maybe Angerer for that 1 million isn't too bad, maybe Vini for one last spin around the block, and maybe Vontae Davis (though his price tag seems a bit high to me).

I like how Bill Belichik plays money ball with his squad and frees up money to keep his stars or sign others.

How so?  You saying that a different punter couldn't kick off? 

If Mcafee gets 4 million a year, I hope its not in Indy.  I love the guy, he is funny and a great guy to have as one of the media friendly faces of your franchise, but that is ludicrous money.  

He won't get 4 million a year, I think the franchise tag is only like $3 million ... I am thinking he will get between $2-$2.5

We'll, like I said, that was my opinion. I still say he's extending AV's career. In fact, when the Colts are ready to move on from Adam, it might make sense to also move on from Pat, but not before.

He isn't extending Vinatieris career at all actually, The Kickers that we bring in during TC and preseason and OTA's are, I also highly doubt Mcafee is our Kicker of the future, He had a 73 percent college kicks made percentage (not good)...never kicked a field goal in the NFL and certainly not in a clutch situation, Great leg but erratic, Chances are we resign Vinatieri or perhaps pursuit someone like Steven Hauschka if Seattle does not resign him...But I think they will

Free Agency - About 40 Million in Cap Space

Release

• Samson Satele - Gain 4 Million
  • Justin Anderson - Gain 495K
  • Tashard Choice - Gain 750 K
  • Weslye Saunders - Gain 645K
  • Sheldon Price - Gain 420K
  • Josh Lenz - Gain 420K
  • Dan Herron - Gain 570K
  • Chris Rainey - Gain 570K
  • Mario Harvey - Gain 570K

Resign

• Vontae Davis - 4 Years, 28 Million, 14 Million Guarenteed
  • Pat McAfee - 5 Years, 20 Million, 15 Million Guarenteed
  • Lawrence Sidbury - 1 Year, 650K
  • Adam Vinatieri - 2 Years, 4 Million
  • Sergio Brown - 3 Years, 4 Million  
  • Cassius Vaughn - 1 Year, 1 Million
  • Antoine Bethea - 3 Years, 15 Million
  • Donald Brown - 3 Years, 15 Million, 8 Million Guarenteed
  • Pat Angerer - 1 Year, 1 Million

Restricted Free Agents/ Exclusive Rights Free Agents 

• Josh Gordy - 1 Year, 1.3 Million
  • Cam Johnson - 1 Year, 1 Million
  • DT Cedric Thornton (Eagles) - 1 Year, 500K

Free Agency Signings

• Frank Zombo LB - 2 Years, 4 Million
  • Geoff Hangartner OG/OC - 3 Years, 10 Million, 3.3 Million Guarenteed
  • Corey Wootton DL - 3 Years, 12 Million
  • Antoine Cason CB - 2 Years, 4.5 Million
  • Evan Dietrich-Smith OC - 3 Years, 10 Million
  • Tony McDaniel - 2 Years, 4 Million

After this we should have around 2 Million in Cap Space to sign Draft Picks

NFL Draft

• Round 2 - FS Ed Reynolds, Stanford 
  • Round 3 - ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin
  • Round 5 - OG Brandon Thomas - Clemson
  • Round 6 - OLB Kasim Edebali - Boston College

I'll do a projected 2014 Roster in another topic.

First,  you'll need more than $2 Mill to sign draft picks...

Second,  you want to have some money left over for a cushion, just in case...

Third,  many of the players you listed as cutting are going to be taken up by other players at roughly the same price, so that's a push, and not gained money.

Fourth,   the Colts balked at giving McAfee more than $3 Mill per year,  it doesn't seem likely we'll now pay him $4 mill per.

There are other issues,  but for now,  I think you get the idea....

How is the punter extending the career of the field goal kicker?  What is he doing that any other punter couldn't?

I would let McAfee go. That is way too much money for a punter. I would also let Donald Brown and Cassius Vaughn go as well.

I would look at Alterraun Verner CB Titans, Jason Worilds OLB Steelers, and Julian Edelman WR Patriots

McAfee is a good punter and great on kickoffs, but it is not that hard to find a kicker with a strong leg for kickoffs. Our offense is improving to where we will hopefully further decrease the number of punts we have each game.

I don't think any of those free agents will be on the team. Mack or De La Puente would be the best options at C. Bethea, Angerer,Brown and Vaughn probably won't be back next year.

As far as the draft i do like Ed Reynolds but it's easier to find safeties in later rounds then it is defensive lineman or linebackers. We have to come out of this draft with someone that is gonna have a great 

impact in the front 7.  

Prospects in the 2nd rankings  

1. Daquan Jones, DE, Penn State

2. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut 

3. Kelcy Quarles, DE, South Carolina 

4. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

5. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech 

I don't think any of those free agents will be on the team. Mack or De La Puente would be the best options at C. Bethea, Angerer,Brown and Vaughn probably won't be back next year.

As far as the draft i do like Ed Reynolds but it's easier to find safeties in later rounds then it is defensive lineman or linebackers. We have to come out of this draft with someone that is gonna have a great 

impact in the front 7.  

Prospects in the 2nd rankings  

1. Daquan Jones, DE, Penn State

2. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut 

3. Kelcy Quarles, DE, South Carolina 

4. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

5. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech 

I do think we need some fresh legs on defense. Walter football now has us taking a S in round 2 - I think we can find talent there in the later rounds. On defense we can almost do a BPA because we have needs on the D-line, at linebacker, and in the secondary.  

But if we don't look to the draft, what do you suppose we do about the offensive line situation? I mean, for next year we're set at tackle. I assume we target Mack/Dietrich-Smith/De La Puente. Then for guard? With Thomas coming back off of a bad injury (hopefully won't re-injure) and Thorton who has still yet to prove he can be even an average starting NFL G, do you suppose we should bring another G who we know can come in and do a good job? We likely won't find that in the back end of the draft so maybe another FA signing? 

I think will sign Brian De la Puente for C and a backup veteran G. Thornton and Thomas will be the starting guards. I'm not worried about the offense at all, with Wayne and Allen back and the improvements of T.Y and Fleener, will be a top 10 offense. I am concerned about the defense in particular the defensive line. We need a Muhammed Wilkerson type DE on the team, run stopping ILB, and a play making fast CB. Grigson needs to hit home runs in this draft like he did in 2012 but just with defensive players. If he can will have a great chance at a superbowl.

I do think we need some fresh legs on defense. Walter football now has us taking a S in round 2 - I think we can find talent there in the later rounds. On defense we can almost do a BPA because we have needs on the D-line, at linebacker, and in the secondary.  

But if we don't look to the draft, what do you suppose we do about the offensive line situation? I mean, for next year we're set at tackle. I assume we target Mack/Dietrich-Smith/De La Puente. Then for guard? With Thomas coming back off of a bad injury (hopefully won't re-injure) and Thorton who has still yet to prove he can be even an average starting NFL G, do you suppose we should bring another G who we know can come in and do a good job? We likely won't find that in the back end of the draft so maybe another FA signing? 

Amen, brother. Great punter, but we have some other needs. In fact, Vaughn Mayberry the only one on that resign list that I'd bring back if I could find replacements that have a better price tag for comparable production or a marked upgrade in skill for a comparable price. Other than that, maybe Angerer for that 1 million isn't too bad, maybe Vini for one last spin around the block, and maybe Vontae Davis (though his price tag seems a bit high to me).

I like how Bill Belichik plays money ball with his squad and frees up money to keep his stars or sign others.

I'm not sure Brady likes the way Belichek played moneyball this year, not that he'd ever admit it.  For all the pub that NE gets about the adversity they overcame this year, much of it was self-inflicted at the WR spot. When he gets to look back on missed opportunities in the last 10 years, history will show that Belichek failed his star QB at receiver in 2013 because he planned poorly.  He is still thinking about the WR position the way he did when he had the defense of the early 2000's.  The Pats just aren't built that way anymore.  Great football people make mistakes too.

I'm not sure Brady likes the way Belichek played moneyball this year, not that he'd ever admit it. For all the pub that NE gets about the adversity they overcame this year, much of it was self-inflicted at the WR spot. When he gets to look back on missed opportunities in the last 10 years, history will show that Belichek failed his star QB at receiver in 2013 because he planned poorly. He is still thinking about the WR position the way he did when he had the defense of the early 2000's. The Pats just aren't built that way anymore. Great football people make mistakes too.

I agree. Bill got too cute this year and ended up hampering the team. But they were still in the ADCCG and look like their poised to be a playoff contender again next season. With all the players they lost, I'd say he was pretty successful.

Concerning blowing up the WR corp, you must have missed my comment about playing money ball to conserve money to sign impact players.

I agree. Bill got too cute this year and ended up hampering the team. But they were still in the ADCCG and look like their poised to be a playoff contender again next season. With all the players they lost, I'd say he was pretty successful.

Concerning blowing up the WR corp, you must have missed my comment about playing money ball to conserve money to sign impact players.

I certainly agree with your comment about the value of moneyball for salary cap realities.  I just think that BB's reputation is deferring a lot of criticism they should have for defensive short comings of recent years and an embarrassing plan for WR post Moss/Welker.  The swings and misses that BB has had in the secondary have been especially glaring.  It is funny how much the Patriots of the last 10 years mirror the Colts of the P. Manning era.  Totally reliant on a QB to fill in for an unbalanced roster with strong regular seasons and "human" post-season results.

1. Sammy Watkins WR

2. TRADE IT (and 5th w/ Richardson for high 1st round)

3. Travis Swanson or Tyler Larsen C

5. TRADE IT

6. Prince Shembo OLB

7. Cairo Santos K

Wayne, Watkins, Hilton, Whalen, Rogers, Allen, Fleener,  WRs

Brown, Ballard, FA, FA  RBs

I'll take "Things that will never happen" for $500 Alex.

What do you guys think of Paul Soliai?  Would he be an impact at NT?  There are not many impact NT as FA.  Are Chapman and Francois starter Caliber players?

2.  Yawin Smallwood  ILB       He or Skov would both be great.  OL at this point are nothing special  Dion Bailey might slip to us too.    

3.  Brent Urban  DE       He got some mention for a good Senior Bowl

5.  Gabe Ikard  OC        Not powerful,  but very very good

6.  Alden Darby  FS        Don't know why he is rated around 5th or so.  We need safties    

7.  Spencer Long  OG     Injury dropped this guy big time.  A quality run blocker.  Ben Gardner would be great too.  Another guy who was injured.

Front 7

Redding   Soliai    Urban

Mathis  Smallwood  Freeman  Walden

I know we need DBs  but Soliai and Urban would give us more pass rush and Smallwood could be an impact player

Gabe Jackson > Cyril Richardson

Richardsons pad level gets high at times, He also does not always play through the whistle nor maintain contact with his man, Athletic for his size, Doesn't pick up stunts always real well vs quicker D Linemen, Has adequate hand punch but I would not say elite in this area, uses his feet well in the run game to turn his man opening up holes but I question his mauling power, I dont think its bad, I think its adequate but not elite

I watched Baylor vs Oklahoma, Baylor vs Texas Tech, Baylor vs Kansas State, Baylor vs Central Florida (Fiesta Bowl), Baylor vs UCLA (2012 Holiday Bowl) and Baylor vs Texas 2012

Richardsons pad level gets high at times, He also does not always play through the whistle nor maintain contact with his man, Athletic for his size, Doesn't pick up stunts always real well vs quicker D Linemen, Has adequate hand punch but I would not say elite in this area, uses his feet well in the run game to turn his man opening up holes but I question his mauling power, I dont think its bad, I think its adequate but not elite

I watched Baylor vs Oklahoma, Baylor vs Texas Tech, Baylor vs Kansas State, Baylor vs Central Florida (Fiesta Bowl), Baylor vs UCLA (2012 Holiday Bowl) and Baylor vs Texas 2012

Not impressed with Richardson either. He's definitely big and strong, and athletic enough. But I don't like his technique or his activity level.

What do you guys think of Paul Soliai?  Would he be an impact at NT?  There are not many impact NT as FA.  Are Chapman and Francois starter Caliber players?

2.  Yawin Smallwood  ILB       He or Skov would both be great.  OL at this point are nothing special  Dion Bailey might slip to us too.    

3.  Brent Urban  DE       He got some mention for a good Senior Bowl

5.  Gabe Ikard  OC        Not powerful,  but very very good

6.  Alden Darby  FS        Don't know why he is rated around 5th or so.  We need safties    

7.  Spencer Long  OG     Injury dropped this guy big time.  A quality run blocker.  Ben Gardner would be great too.  Another guy who was injured.

Front 7

Redding   Soliai    Urban

Mathis  Smallwood  Freeman  Walden

I know we need DBs  but Soliai and Urban would give us more pass rush and Smallwood could be an impact player

Soliai is a good player but I don't think NT is a need at all. Chapman is just going into his 3rd yr. but really only his 2nd considering he was injured his whole rookie yr.. IMO the defense was always better when Chapman was in rather than Franklin. We also have Hughes that can play NT and DE. If we sign a NT it will be for a backup for Chapman.

Richardsons pad level gets high at times, He also does not always play through the whistle nor maintain contact with his man, Athletic for his size, Doesn't pick up stunts always real well vs quicker D Linemen, Has adequate hand punch but I would not say elite in this area, uses his feet well in the run game to turn his man opening up holes but I question his mauling power, I dont think its bad, I think its adequate but not elite

I watched Baylor vs Oklahoma, Baylor vs Texas Tech, Baylor vs Kansas State, Baylor vs Central Florida (Fiesta Bowl), Baylor vs UCLA (2012 Holiday Bowl) and Baylor vs Texas 2012

IMO Xavier Su'a Filo would be a good fit for us...UCLA plays a man/power scheme and Su'a Filo has had two straight excellent seasons following his Mormon mission. He's been All-PAC12 at LG and played well at LT when called upon.

I'm not sure he'll be on the board at #58 but I'd be perfectly fine with us taking him there if he is.

Here's some game film of him versus Stanford...where he plays both LG and LT.

IMO Xavier Su'a Filo would be a good fit for us...UCLA plays a man/power scheme and Su'a Filo has had two straight excellent seasons following his Mormon mission. He's been All-PAC12 at LG and played well at LT when called upon.

I'm not sure he'll be on the board at #58 but I'd be perfectly fine with us taking him there if he is.

Here's some game film of him versus Stanford...where he plays both LG and LT.

He needs to work on recognizing Stunts, Doesn't explode out of his stance and have a great hand punch, Gets to high in his blocks some and stops moving his feet (he would get ate alive at LT if a team asked him to play that, His feet also lets him get beat to the inside vs quicker DT's but he is out against bigger DT's when he uses good technique)........I wouldn't draft him with our 2nd round pick (I watched him vs Arizona State(2013), Stanford(2013) USC(2012)