Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does this team need a receiver? [Merge]

BlueCollarColts

I am kind of torn on this, we have positions we need help in, is receiver one of them? We get Reggie Wayne back, and we also get Dwayne Allen back at TE who is a good pass catcher. T.Y. Hilton showed he is our future #1, and Griff Whalen and LaVon Brazill also stepped up big time for us. So do we need a receiver? I understand if there is someone like Jarvis Landry available in the draft you take him, but do we need one? I think Brazill can develop to a solid starter in this league and I like Griff a lot as a slot guy. Hilton is great as well, we all know that

At this point with pressing needs at the offensive and defensive lines (we DESPERATELY need a pass rusher), I am going to say no. If we were more solid in those areas, I would say yes. A true number one receiver would be a great pickup, but I can't see finding that with no first round pick and so many other needs to address. 

Yeah, I'd love to see somebody 6'6" 250 lbs, 4.3 40, 40" vertical, and a mean streak. Heck Ya!

You know where we can find him?

j/k sort of, but we don't need to spend big in FA this year for WR, but if we could get somebody with size and speed (and can catch the freaking ball) in the draft to develop, yeah.

We've got some kids that have shown promise this year, give them a chance.

Can Reggie come back, big question!

Reggie was one, but if he isn't his old self, Hilton is easily capable of being our #1

Reggie is coming off an ACL and nearing the end. Hilton is a really nice receiver but doesn't really fit the No 1 mode as most a little bigger target than Hilton. If you look at the leading WR's , you'll see that only two are small. That would be A Brown and D jackson and I question whether either of those guys are what you would classify as a true No 1. Imo , they are guys like Hilton... nice weapons but not a prototype No 1 guy. 

Yeah, I'd love to see somebody 6'6" 250 lbs, 4.3 40, 40" vertical, and a mean streak. Heck Ya!

You know where we can find him?

j/k sort of, but we don't need to spend big in FA this year for WR, but if we could get somebody with size and speed (and can catch the freaking ball) in the draft to develop, yeah.

We've got some kids that have shown promise this year, give them a chance.

Can Reggie come back, big question!

You try to find a bigger type guy that runs well and has potential to develop into a good route runner. Granted we won't vever draft high enough to get a Megatron or EG Green but there are guys that fit the mode in late 1st or 2nd rounds. IMO , we need to get Luck a dependable target that's a little bigger than 5'9" 175 pounds. This will also make the red zone a little easier to navigate also. 

As far as our "young guys" , the only guy that fits the mold I'm talking about is Rogers and he's a bad route runner that drops  too many balls. He might develop and he might prove the 31 teams that would invest in him correct. But as you say . it will be tough. We either have to sign Decker or use our 2nd in the draft to have a good shot at getting one.

You try to find a bigger type guy that runs well and has potential to develop into a good route runner. Granted we won't vever draft high enough to get a Megatron or EG Green but there are guys that fit the mode in late 1st or 2nd rounds. IMO , we need to get Luck a dependable target that's a little bigger than 5'9" 175 pounds. This will also make the red zone a little easier to navigate also.

As far as our "young guys" , the only guy that fits the mold I'm talking about is Rogers and he's a bad route runner that drops too many balls. He might develop and he might prove the 31 teams that would invest in him correct. But as you say . it will be tough. We either have to sign Decker or use our 2nd in the draft to have a good shot at getting one.

Rodgers has had many opportunities so far? And you already say he drops too many. He's a rookie and just greeting used to the game. Yeah he's dropped a couple but so does just about every receiver especially being a rookie. Give him more time before we say he drops too many. He's a rookie who was learning on the fly. Its still very very early for him. He will never be perfect by the way and neither will any other receiver.

With all that we have....  we still need another solid, dependable receiver.

Perhaps not a new #1 for 2014...   but someone we can rely on for the upcoming year, and perhaps a few more.

I hope we sign a solid veteran FA to fill that spot...

Then,  in the 2015 draft (not the '14)  I hope we draft a very good WR in the first two or three rounds.   Reggie's eventual replacement.

Yes and no.

We need someone tall and reliable in the redzone. We still drop the too many balls.  Someone that will atk the ball in the air.

We get some offensive ppl back, so I'm not sure if we need a WR and one couldn't hurt.  

We don't know how effective Reggie will be so.

Watching the broncos today, WR can work on their route running.  Come back to the ball.  In other words mimik the broncos WRs.

Our WR are young so theres room for improvement.  Brazil really stepped up in the playoffs. TY is all go.  Whalen is a good #4.  Rogers is still unknown.

So i'd say get a avg receiver, but if our salary cap allows us get a high end receiver.

here are my draft picks if i could get them

1 L'Damian Washington WR 

2 Daniel McCullers DT

3 Patrick Junen OG

4 Cyril Richardson OG

5 Travis Swanson C

Washington is being drafted to high and we dont have a 1st anyway., He is a bit of project....3rd through 5th rounder....He tends to be a body catcher to much but has size and speed, needs to work on route running

2.Dont want Mcullers that high, I like him but to much potential for him to eat himself out of the league, I'd say no higher then a 3rd on him unless he puts up a Dontari Poe like performance at the Combine and I dont think there is a chance in hell that happens

Richardson I think is a 2nd round pick at the latest and maybe bottom of the 1st

Dont know much about Junen yet

Swanson is to low but I think some overrate him as well here

I am kind of torn on this, we have positions we need help in, is receiver one of them? We get Reggie Wayne back, and we also get Dwayne Allen back at TE who is a good pass catcher. T.Y. Hilton showed he is our future #1, and Griff Whalen and LaVon Brazill also stepped up big time for us. So do we need a receiver? I understand if there is someone like Jarvis Landry available in the draft you take him, but do we need one? I think Brazill can develop to a solid starter in this league and I like Griff a lot as a slot guy. Hilton is great as well, we all know that

With the absence or Reggie the WR core really did step up.  Size wise TY isn't the optimal number one but very talented as we all have seen.  I feel comfy in who we have now and with the return of Reggie, Luck will have his security back on those thirds...What about Fleener ? he is a nice big target that with more development will be even more of a reliable option.  Is Branch any hope for another vet on the WR core ?  Could Decker be a possible Pick up ? I read a few weeks back that Edellmen could be an post season target ?  With an off season of work and coming together things are looking great. Aloha

We need a big strong WR, one like Megatron, Brandon Marshall or D. Thomas.

Yes we have Hilton and other young guns one their way up, but lets say Reggie won't be himself, which is fair to say he won't be due to his age and the type of injury. 

I would say we need a big strong WR, but we have other needs which should be addressed before getting a new WR.

No way should we b looking for a receiver. Gotta start with O-Line look at NE + SF they have great O-Lines. Look back at Emmit Smiths Cowboys, they had a punishing o-line and I think Luck will b better than Aikman. After o-line we need to find some safetys that can cover + tackle. Actually think we`re gonna b good with the receivers we have, they just need a little more experience.

Although I wouldn't go as far to say its an area of need I think there are still question marks over the WR position such as how will Reggie come back and will Whalen, Brazill and Rogers develop further. I would be happy if we made a run on Eric Decker in FA but I suspect the Broncos will resign him.

I think we do but with a healthy Reggie Wayne we probably can hold off (barring any injuries on the WR). 1st priority is the OL and D line with more emphasis on the OL. Reggie is getting old and that is not a knock on Reggie it is just the truth we will need to find a WR to replace him wether from WR already on the team or FA or draft but we need to ge OL help first to get a running game gone to help out Luck. We saw what a running game does to your passing game against NE when they passed WR were wide open our safties bit on play action all because NE OL run block was good opening holes up and NE rbs ran right through us.

My 2 cents: offensive and defensive line should be the priority. You can get by with Reggie until he retires.

Unfortunately, past seasons have shown that they will stick with "their guys" for way too long, even though they're playing like crap (see: Satele over MnGlynn, Satele over AQ Shipley). And they just invested a ton of resources into both lines this play season. My bet is they do go WR.

As far as our "young guys" , the only guy that fits the mold I'm talking about is Rogers and he's a bad route runner that drops  too many balls. He might develop and he might prove the 31 teams that would invest in him correct. But as you say . it will be tough. We either have to sign Decker or use our 2nd in the draft to have a good shot at getting one.

imo we should use rogers more in the red zone, his drop thing ,I hope was a 1 game thing, he can go up and fight for the ball

For depth, we at least need a vet with experience - a quality route runner, preferably.  Let's be honest, outside of Hilton all our receiving options are question marks, including Reggie and Allen coming off injuries.  If you add up the game time experience of everyone outside of Reggie, it's not much.  It varies from weeks to two years.