Boston Globe Article - Enjoy this one..... [Merge]

jblastick

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE this article.

This is the part of the playoffs I yearned for. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

The Colts are a big game team. Let's look at it.

We beat:

Denver

Seattle

San Fancisco

KC x2

Every time the media and analysts counted us out, we came back strong and delivered a knockout punch to the league's most revered teams.

I love it.

C'mon we can't take the bait on this stuff.  Obviously only made for entertainment.  I am sure there are some good articles out there with good analysis.  Have anything resident Pats fans?

:blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Here is a good one on Luck being like a young Brady from the Herald, http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/01/colts_andrew_luck_shows_brady_like_qualities

this is why I hate the pats the fans and the media are arrogant ,they are always better than anyone else , typical homer did notice he would rather play the chargers and not manning again

Not to defend the tool, but I don't think you got what he was saying... Not that he'd prefer the Chargers, but his claim is the Pats have achieved a special kind if mythic status that things just fall into place for them. He admits this isn't the best Pats team, but suggests that playing the Colts and Chargers in Foxborough equals the easiest possible route to the SB for them.

I see nothing in that assertion I disagree with, beyond the Pats mythic status (outside of in the heads of Pats fans), but I tend to think "getting what you ask for" seldom turns out as you think.

My response to Patriot fans who think this game is the same old same old is they might want to check the list of Kansas City players that were unable to finish the game. These are not your father's Colts (or the Manning Colts). Chuck Pagano's Colts are a bigger much more physical football team and hopefully the Patriot's coaching staff overlooks that aspect of this game but I doubt they will. The Pats are used to trying to push us around as a big part of their game plan. We may lose Sunday but we will make more than our share of the hits.

I LOVE this article.

This is the part of the playoffs I yearned for. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

The Colts are a big game team. Let's look at it.

We beat:

Denver

Seattle

San Fancisco

KC x2

Every time the media and analysts counted us out, we came back strong and delivered a knockout punch to the league's most revered teams.

I love it.

Shh... Let's keep it that way. So far we're the underdogs. I don't want that to change.

That's a good one; I don't agree though.  Not to bring this old argument up again, but Manning IS clutch.  The myth that he chokes is just that.  I actually see a lot more comparisons to Manning than Brady (besides the #12).  Luck has put this team on his shoulders as Manning had too.  Brady was not asked to do that till his 5th year or so (guessing no real idea) when BB's defense carried them.  I'm not trying to say brady vs manning or disrespect either he just seems more manning to me.  I mean to compare him to either is a great comparison and makes me happy this early on.

I feel the Colts are playing with house money at this point. Hopefully NO ONE expects them to win (besides Colts fans) and doesn't give them a chance. I hope the Pats are favored by 40 in this game. Everyone one knows the Pats are gonna win right? But of course the Colts will have to show up....you know formalities and all :bag:     :blueshoe:

That's a good one; I don't agree though.  Not to bring this old argument up again, but Manning IS clutch.  The myth that he chokes is just that.  I actually see a lot more comparisons to Manning than Brady (besides the #12).  Luck has put this team on his shoulders as Manning had too.  Brady was not asked to do that till his 5th year or so (guessing no real idea) when BB's defense carried them.  I'm not trying to say brady vs manning or disrespect either he just seems more manning to me.  I mean to compare him to either is a great comparison and makes me happy this early on.

I actually don't think Luck is like Brady or Manning at all. His game is completely different than those two and as you say Brady was not the first pick or asked to carry his team early on. And Luck is playing on a completely different Colts team then Manning and also is not being asked to carry the team like Manning was early on.

I do think Luck resembles Brady in his clutch performances. I don't disagree about Manning but it took him six years to win a playoff game so I think the notion of him not being good in the post-season started there and has continued due to the record number of one and done's which were not all his fault either. But still, in big games I would rather have Eli then Peyton. JMO.

I actually don't think Luck is like Brady or Manning at all. His game is completely different than those two and as you say Brady was not the first pick or asked to carry his team early on. And Luck is playing on a completely different Colts team then Manning and also is not being asked to carry the team like Manning was early on.

I do think Luck resembles Brady in his clutch performances. I don't disagree about Manning but it took him six years to win a playoff game so I think the notion of him not being good in the post-season started there and has continued due to the record number of one and done's which were not all his fault either. But still, in big games I would rather have Eli then Peyton. JMO.

I agree, great observations.

Look at that! Colts and Pats fans getting along, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

Agreed up until the last sentence. Under zero circumstances would I rather have Eli than Peyton...except in maybe a doofy looking face contest....although Peyton probably wins that one too. :)

Agreed up until the last sentence. Under zero circumstances would I rather have Eli than Peyton...except in maybe a doofy looking face contest....although Peyton probably wins that one too. :)

As a Pats fan I think you can understand why I would prefer to face Peyton over Eli. ;)   Thankfully no Eli this year.

Double D was just interviewing Shaunnessy on 1070. They were discussing the article, but I missed most of it. The summary conclusion DD took from it is that Pags and Luck have yet to prove anything, and will need to play at a different level to achieve "big boy football" status. I can agree with that.

After the interview, DD went into rambling about how young players sometimes believe there's always next year, but they have to learn that these opportunities are rare, and you have to step up NOW. Again, while rambling, it was a good point.

Colts are still unproven in the big moments, so it's time to PROVE IT. Until they do, authors like this tool are entitled to spout their nonsense.

How are they unproven in big moments? Beating the Super Bowl runner-up 49ers in their place wasn't big? Handing the unstoppable Broncos their first loss in Peytons return wasn't big? Blasting the Chiefs in their stadium wasn't big? Beating the NFCs top seed wasn't big?

And finally, coming back from THE SECOND LARGEST PLAYOFF DEFICIT EVER wasn't big?

This team has come up big in plenty of big moments. Next week is the next step.

Stupid me, I took the bait and "clicked" on the article. Then, being a complete dupe, I "clicked" on it again to read the comments. Each time the blogger won his battle for "views" and I lost my valuable time, first reading and now writing about this self-serving nonsensical drivel.

This article has gone from just being tossed all over the forum to now being center stage on the Indystar.....

http://www.indystar.com/sports/

Now I'm sure all the Colts are aware of this one.  I can't wait until the game!

Excellent. Now hopefully all will see it. Hey this team IMO likes motivation even if it's silly at times.

First of all these are not last year Texans. Schaub is a joke and that team crawled into a fetal position in big games even in the regular season (see the final week in Indy and MNF vs. Rodgers).

And anyone who compares us to the Broncos with Tebow should go stand next to a wall and hit their head. And then repeat.....

Not saying we are perfect or can't lose. However the Patriots are not perfect either and have several weaknesses and bit hits to their team. I know many though rely on just the Patriots mystique and Tom Brady/BB to get by in the media. And also I get sick of hearing about last years loss. We had a rookie QB, a different coach, different players and so did NE.......we have currently played two playoff games since last facing NE and winning one in historical fashion and have beaten some of the best teams in football this season.

How are they unproven in big moments? Beating the Super Bowl runner-up 49ers in their place wasn't big? Handing the unstoppable Broncos their first loss in Peytons return wasn't big? Blasting the Chiefs in their stadium wasn't big? Beating the NFCs top seed wasn't big?

And finally, coming back from THE SECOND LARGEST PLAYOFF DEFICIT EVER wasn't big?

This team has come up big in plenty of big moments. Next week is the next step.

Beating good teams during the season is big in its own way, sure. But you play the next week regardless...

And beating KC last week was big too. But each week in the playoffs gets BIGGER, and playing a team like the Pats, who KNOW how to navigate the playoffs, is infinitely tougher than overcoming a team like the Chiefs, who haven't won a playoff game in almost 20 years.

Beating good teams during the season is big in its own way, sure. But you play the next week regardless...

And beating KC last week was big too. But each week in the playoffs gets BIGGER, and playing a team like the Pats, who KNOW how to navigate the playoffs, is infinitely tougher than overcoming a team like the Chiefs, who haven't won a playoff game in almost 20 years.

So then call it like it is, these new Colts haven't won a divisional round playoff yet. But lets remember that this team has guys like Bethea and Mathis who have won a Super Bowl and played in another with Brown and Mcafee.

History doesn't have a big barring on what's happening Saturday night. The Chiefs may have not won a playoff game in 20 years but that team finished 11-5 and had Indy and Denver on the ropes at one point this season.

That's the issue with people picking the Patriots. I don't mind people picking them as long as they support it with some logical reasoning. However, a good portion point to Brady/BBs history of winning playoff games and how well they played in New England. But lets examine some stats here.

Since 2009, the Patriots are 3-4 in the playoffs, with 3 losses at home. And since winning the Super Bowl last, Tom Brady and co. are 7-7 in the playoffs.

So then call it like it is, these new Colts haven't won a divisional round playoff yet. But lets remember that this team has guys like Bethea and Mathis who have won a Super Bowl and played in another with Brown and Mcafee.

History doesn't have a big barring on what's happening Saturday night. The Chiefs may have not won a playoff game in 20 years but that team finished 11-5 and had Indy and Denver on the ropes at one point this season.

That's the issue with people picking the Patriots. I don't mind people picking them as long as they support it with some logical reasoning. However, a good portion point to Brady/BBs history of winning playoff games and how well they played in New England. But lets examine some stats here.

Since 2009, the Patriots are 3-4 in the playoffs, with 3 losses at home. And since winning the Super Bowl last, Tom Brady and co. are 7-7 in the playoffs.

Fwiw, you and I are on the same side. I want, and kinda expect, the Colts to find a way to win.

But after listening to the tail end of the DD show, I'm just saying I can see this one aspect of this tool's argument: history follows the QBs and coaches. Brady and BB have a history of success in the biggest games. Luck and Pags won last week, but have yet to prove themselves in the biggest moments, against the toughest opponents.

Until they do... which as I said, I hope happens Saturday night... they are unproven.

after reading your comment about Dan Shaugnessy, i thought ok, this guy is all right (even though a pats fan :) )..

but then i saw you have "Skip Bayless, award winning journalist, author and television pundit, ESPN" quoted in your signature! :D

she‘s a woman,i believe.

for the most part he is right.  the colts will lose and probably lose big

but he said that polian had rules changed.  which is wrong and therefore makes everything else he said null and void

the dudeski is wrong again. I do the opposite of whatever you say. What will the score be dude?