Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Is Not "Allowed" To Run The Ball?

King Colt

Did you catch the announcers during the KC game state Luck was not allowed to run the ball for fear of injury. Now having watched Smith run several time against the Colts and Kapernick on Sunday, why have a 6'4" 240 lbs. mobile and fast QB and not design run plays? Anyone ever watch the Steelers play?

Did you catch the announcers during the KC game state Luck was not allowed to run the ball for fear of injury. Now having watched Smith run several time against the Colts and Kapernick on Sunday, why have a 6'4" 240 lbs. mobile and fast QB and not design run plays? Anyone ever watch the Steelers play?

It's true, luck could have scored on a run during the KC game, but opted to slide as soon as the defenders got within 5 yards.

I am going to say that maybe you did not hear the announcers correctly or misinterpreted what they said.  He had a designed run on the 4th down play and clearly his ability to make a play with his legs is a key element to his success.  The coaches know this so they are not preventing him from running.

What I would guess is that they do not want him acting like a fullback when a slide or getting out of bounds is an option.

Are we talking about the same run?

luck88.gif

Sorry - no were are not talking about the same run.  I was thinking about the run in the 4th quarter.  On this run, the likelihood of a score is higher to be sure but the DB still had the speed and the angle on him so I doubt he scores there either.

good, glad to see that the teams has a err on the side of not running option for Luck . . . just cause he is more mobile than a traditional pocket QB does not mean he has to run when he gets a chance . . . . the franchise and the fan base are looking forward to have him on the team for a decade plus, no need to risk this . . .

Sorry - no were are not talking about the same run.  I was thinking about the run in the 4th quarter.  On this run, the likelihood of a score is higher to be sure but the DB still had the speed and the angle on him so I doubt he scores there either.

It's worth noting that he only had to beat the on DB, there was no one over the top.

I think that Luck has figured out when to run and not run. It seems like every game we need him to come through 2-3 times per game to keep the chains moving or find the end zone.  But designed runs gets your QB hurt.  The 49ers clearly kept Kaepernick under wraps during the season.  They turned him loose yesterday

You guys in favor of designed run plays really want to him in the open field with the chance to get blasted like Vick or RG3 have? Nuts. Dumb. Stupid. In a scramble, looking for a 1st down, when he cant find a receiver, yes, Im all for him trying to get a first down and then sliding. But I dont want designed plays for him to run.

Well.....

If Andrew Luck is really "not allowed to run"  then he must be the most disobedient player on the team.

Because the official team stats show he's run the ball 63 times for 377 yards.   That's 6.0 average.    He's got a long of 29 yards and 4 TD's.

Not allowed to run?!?       Damn!     He's going to get fined!!       :thmup:

Well.....

If Andrew Luck is really "not allowed to run"  then he must be the most disobedient player on the team.

Because the official team stats show he's run the ball 63 times for 377 yards.   That's 6.0 average.    He's got a long of 29 yards and 4 TD's.

Not allowed to run?!?       Damn!     He's going to get fined!!       :thmup:

Again, its not a matter of "not allowed to run", its they arent calling plays designed for him to run as the play. 

Again, its not a matter of "not allowed to run", its they arent calling plays designed for him to run as the play. 

I understand.....   I'm just saying the announcers comment wasn't literal.    It's a general, non-specific guideline.

Because the 20 yard bootleg on 4th and 1,  was designed for him to run.    

So,  it's a guiding rule,  until it's not..........

I dont even agree that the 4th and 1 keeper was a called play, unless they have said otherwise. I believe he kept the ball and ran but was suppose to hand off. 

Manning had a few runs where he was suppose to hand off and just didnt and bootlegged around the end. Has the coaching staff said that play with Luck was in fact a designed qb keeper?