Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today is playoff blackout deadline

chad72

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have directv it will not be blacked out. as i do not live in Indiana, My cousin who does, she told me she had called directv tuesday evening and asked and was told it would not be blacked out on Directv. so as long as you have that you are good. if the FCC gets their way come next year no games will be allowed to be blacked out

if you have directv it will not be blacked out. as i do not live in Indiana, My cousin who does, she told me she had called directv tuesday evening and asked and was told it would not be blacked out on Directv. so as long as you have that you are good. if the FCC gets their way come next year no games will be allowed to be blacked out

I think your friend got some bad information.  On DirecTV, it's on the local Indy channel and would be blacked out.  I've seen the local team in my area blacked out on DirecTV.

There's no way 5,000 tickets sell in 5 hours, so unless they get another extension due to the weather or someone buys the remaining tickets, it will be blacked out, and the Colts need to prevent that at all costs.  It helps no one.

Why are we struggling to sell playoff tickets when the regular season sells out routinely?

A couple of reasons i can think of.  Season ticket holders declined to spend the extra money right before Christmas for playoff tickets. Not all that surprising considering the deadline was at the same time the Colts were playing like one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Pacers game as well as a IU basketball game probably playing a part too.  People that previously may have bought tickets for these games had no way of knowing there would be a Colts game that day.  As of Sunday it was still possible the Colts could have had a bye this weekend.   And unlike some years, the Pacers are very good and the weekend games are usually sell outs.

I do think someone will eventually buy up the rest though to avoid the blackout. Either the TV station, Irsay, or some other business.

Such a joke that the NFL is allowed to pull this nonsense. The Packers, Bengals, and Colts games could all be blacked out in their local market, where the local taxpayer dollars pay for the very stadiums the teams play in. I'm in Colorado, so it won't be an issue for me, but way to go NFL.

Just continue to squeeze fans dry. Not to mention the holidays just came through, people bought jerseys, hats, and everything else you can imagine with an NFL logo, then they have the nerve to raise prices for playoff tickets? Total gouge job by the league

It's not getting blacked out.  WTHR will buy the remaining tickets because they need the game on tv for advertising revenue.

Look for last minute media panic to scare fans into buying as many as possible so that WTHR has to spend as little as possible.

I have severe distain for blackout of games when all seats haven't been sold as others stated, publicly funded stadiums. I hope the FCC gets their way and lifts that crap. The supply and demand factor will then take over. Make it special to be at the game and affordable and people will attend. Make it expensive an just another day sitting in a seat and you have people opting to sit at home and watching it. I'm going as we have season tix but I have wained in my desire to make the hour trip over, $50 in food/beer the $20 to park and then the travel back home.

I always wonder why the networks don't step in and buy up the tickets. They can't sell ads if the game isn't on in that market.

Irsay will probably end up buying the tickets.

i think WTHR will. It makes no difference to the big NBC if it's sold out or not they still get to air it in every other market.

Irsays just hurting his own profit margin to buy what's left. With that said it would be a good PR move which might offset the previous statement.

Kravitz just tweeted its down to 4,100 and WTHR's GM said they would think about buying tickets if it's makes financial sense for them.

My guess is either the Colts and WTHR work out a deal to buy the leftover tickets or the league gives the colts another extension because they don't want it blacked out either. They love saying how long it's been since a playoff game was blacked out.

I think a big issue was also requiring Season Ticket Holders to buy tickets to 2 games, 1 that probably will never be played.  My wife and I have 4 tickets and I know it put a big dent in our account to have to purchase 8 tix.  Especially since the AFC Championship game tix were even more than the wildcard round.

I have no doubt it will sell out one way or another.

I think a big issue was also requiring Season Ticket Holders to buy tickets to 2 games, 1 that probably will never be played.  My wife and I have 4 tickets and I know it put a big dent in our account to have to purchase 8 tix.  Especially since the AFC Championship game tix were even more than the wildcard round.

I have no doubt it will sell out one way or another.

I think this is the biggest problem.  Last year I only purchased one of my two tickets since it was doubtful we would host a game. 

I did buy both this year, but almost passed on the purchase due being forced to pay a ton of money for an AFC Championship game we are not likely to host.  The threat of a blackout will not in any way influence my decision in the future to purchase playoff tickets.  In fact, if I don't feel it makes sense financially to make the postseason purchase at some point in the future and it gets blacked out, it definitely could influence my decision on whether or not to continue purchasing season tickets.

Kinda sucks for me that this is happening, I have 4 tix in CLUB 1 right behind the colts bench and I only have 2 people willing to travel from NY. I cant even sell them to break-even. In the event that this stupid storm is really bad and my flights are cancelled then I will have 4 tix of no use :(

I don't understand why the tickets aren't sold yet. We're the only playoff team with a dome so it can't be weather related like the others.

Poor economy, bad weather for traveling, Pacers game and IU game, forcing season ticket holders to buy tickets to two games

Kinda sucks for me that this is happening, I have 4 tix in CLUB 1 right behind the colts bench and I only have 2 people willing to travel from NY. I cant even sell them to break-even. In the event that this stupid storm is really bad and my flights are cancelled then I will have 4 tix of no use :(

O.k., you've twisted my arm. I'll go with you.