Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darrius Heyward-Bey in ST Role

Caleb3502

I know we all dislike DHB as a WR due to all the drops and he will most likely be gone next year, but you got to give DHB some credit.  The coaching staff realized that he is not good enough to be a WR, but can still help the team.  DHB has done very well in the special teams role such as blocking and being a gunner.  At least he is using his speed to his own advantage.  I'm grateful that DHB is a team player and works his hardest to help the Colts in whatever way he can.  He's probably one of the best team players we have, that will do whatever they are capable of doing.   

I thought one of the best moments from the Chiefs game was how excited DHB's teammates were for him after the tackle on the punt return.  To me that spoke to how hard he works and how much apprecciation his mates have for him. 

His days as a WR are clearly over but maybe he has found a way to stay in the league.

Not for a lack of trying. Its not like he tanked it all year. He put the effort in...just didn't work out.

His drops are amplified because some were so bad. Brazil dropped a TD last week. I'd say Reggie, TY, and Coby all had more drops. Not percentage wise though.

I thought one of the best moments from the Chiefs game was how excited DHB's teammates were for him after the tackle on the punt return.  To me that spoke to how hard he works and how much apprecciation his mates have for him. 

His days as a WR are clearly over but maybe he has found a way to stay in the league.

I did not see the game, but heard a lot about how his teammates were jumping and high-fiving him...awesome!!!

It reminds me of little Jimmy, the worst kid on the baseball team....getting up to bat, closing his eyes and swinging....Base Hit!!!!!!  Great hit Jimmy!!!!!  errr.....DHB??

little-boy-playing-baseball-se_img_2065.

The article I read about him playing special teams showed that DHB had a really good attitude too.  After getting demoted he could have gone into a funk, but he seems, at least in the article, to have a whatever it takes to help the team attitude.  I just wish he would use his hands when trying to catch the ball and not let it get into his body.

The article I read about him playing special teams showed that DHB had a really good attitude too. After getting demoted he could have gone into a funk, but he seems, at least in the article, to have a whatever it takes to help the team attitude. I just wish he would use his hands when trying to catch the ball and not let it get into his body.

great job. We should praise him for doing his job and not throwing a tantrum. I mean why should he do his job if he can't be a starter?

The reason I got caught repping him so much this offseason is because he's such a high character guy.

It's mystifying to me that a guy who works so hard, is so well liked AND has off the charts measurables can struggle so badly in game situations.  I was really hoping he'd break out for us, but it's nice to see he's finding ways to contribute rather than pouting on the back of the bench.

His drops are amplified because some were so bad. Brazil dropped a TD last week. I'd say Reggie, TY, and Coby all had more drops. Not percentage wise though.

Take Coby out of the drop parade. He has o two drops against 51 receptions. That's pretty good.

Cecil Shorts has 10 drops vs 66 receptions (pretty bad).

great job. We should praise him for doing his job and not throwing a tantrum. I mean why should he do his job if he can't be a starter?

Oh. My. God. Stop.

No one cares.

Stop stalking a thread to be so negative to people being happy a guy plays 100% even when he's demoted. Should every guy in the league be like that? Yes, but they aren't. It's a fact of life in sports. Get over it and be happy for the guys who are like that.

Take Coby out of the drop parade. He has o two drops against 51 receptions. That's pretty good.

Cecil Shorts has 10 drops vs 66 receptions (pretty bad).

Yeah, my bad. DHB led the team in drops.

I should have said that others have dropped passes, some easy ones. DHB has had horrible drops but he's also been pretty good at the short catch in traffic. Pretty good blocker too.

I'm not saying that I want him back, especially at his salary. I am glad he's finding other ways to help the team. He seems to be a good teammate.

why do you feel bad for him?

Really. The guy has made Millions playing the wrong position, SPORT! lol

His press was not so good.

I have been impressed with his words, think he loves the game and is trying hard to improve. Wish him the best.

Neverthought of him as a gunner. Kind of a WOW seeing that big body haul`in downfield. oh YAA! Go DHB!

I really had high hopes for him when he got here. He was showing clear improvement every year whilst in Oakland. I wouldn't mind giving him another year of Reggie telling him "Use your hands not your body" while he runs down the field on ST.

Oh. My. God. Stop.

No one cares.

Stop stalking a thread to be so negative to people being happy a guy plays 100% even when he's demoted. Should every guy in the league be like that? Yes, but they aren't. It's a fact of life in sports. Get over it and be happy for the guys who are like that.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/26/chargers-keenan-allen-considered-quitting-football/

You certainly are correct.  

Kasim Osgood of the Chargers made a living out of great ST player that was a #4 or #5 WR material, at best, he is with the 49ers right now and still contributing. Same thing with the Slater guy on NE special teams. DHB will not be the first, he won't be the last that has played in such circumstances. Props to him for accepting it and doing it, shows humility and character to me.

Oh. My. God. Stop.

No one cares.

be happy or feel sorry for them? Now I am getting confused.

Anyway. Props to dhb for being a grown up. I guess I will start congratulating every adult that I see working

Are you always so negative? You really must be the life of the party.  Do you have anyone that likes you and why do they?

Are you always so negative? You really must be the life of the party. Do you have anyone that likes you and why do they?

just trying to figure out why everyone is so impressed that a dude is actually doing his job. That is what they pay him for, right.

And I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am not only liked my all but loved by most

just trying to figure out why everyone is so impressed that a dude is actually doing his job. That is what they pay him for, right.

And I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am not only liked my all but loved by most

By 'most' I take it you mean your immediate family?

People have complimented his work ethic and his sense of teamwork.  One shouldn't just point out a person's failures but also their achievements.  Basic rules of management.  No, we're not management or anything like that in regards to the team but there is nothing at all wrong with praising a guy for doing his job.  

Responses like yours are the reason that 99% of the threads on this forum turn into a bickering contest.  If you don't have anything positive to contribute and all you're going to do is make snide comments towards other posters (pretty sure that's against the forum rules) then please, for the sake of the forum, simply move on to the other thread.  You are not under any obligation to express every thought you have about every thread on the forum.

If DHB really went to Pagano and said he wanted to help out on special teams then I commend him.  It's not easy for someone in ANY profession to get demoted and then offer to do what others would consider a menial job just because he wanted to help out.  He could just as easily have just continued to practice and not given a dam about special teams but that's not what he did.  And this proves he's far from the primadonna that a lot of WR's are.

The article I read about him playing special teams showed that DHB had a really good attitude too.  After getting demoted he could have gone into a funk, but he seems, at least in the article, to have a whatever it takes to help the team attitude.  I just wish he would use his hands when trying to catch the ball and not let it get into his body.

It is the hand-eye co-ord that is the problem...a physical tihng he doesn't have.