Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The best DRAFTED Colts players outside Luck are Polian players

chad72

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Brown, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea are probably our best players on O and D outside Luck, and they are all Polian players.

Thoughts???

Bethea is no where near "best player on D" He is behind a slew of other players. Including Freeman, Landry, Redding, and Davis.

Brown is our 3rd String RB, and if it wasn't for Bradshaw and Ballard going down he would still be on the bench.

The other two, are in the top 3 for best player on the team.

How about Freeman

Yep, I'll agree on Freeman, Grigson's best find on D so far.

On O, I am not sure if we will see the ceiling on T.Y. and Da'Rick under this system as much but if it keeps Luck upright and wins us ballgames, I'm all for it.

Grigson's ability to play free agency/trades more might be the one that may make or break him.

Of course, I'm talking drafted players and UDFAs (obvious from my list) since Polian did not play free agency as much, so yeah Freeman does count. Otherwise, I will be comparing apples to oranges and that would not be fair to Polian either (not that anyone cares :)).

Yep, I'll agree on Freeman, Grigson's best find on D so far.

On O, I am not sure if we will see the ceiling on T.Y. and Da'Rick under this system as much but if it keeps Luck upright and wins us ballgames, I'm all for it.

Grigson's ability to play free agency/trades more might be the one that may make or break him.

Of course, I'm talking drafted players and UDFAs (obvious from my list) since Polian did not play free agency as much, so yeah Freeman does count. Otherwise, I will be comparing apples to oranges and that would not be fair to Polian either (not that anyone cares :)).

Well, that's kinda not fair since your comparing a decade of drafts to just 2.

Donald Brown, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea are probably our best players on O and D outside Luck, and they are all Polian players.

Thoughts???

Players wearing a horseshoe are players wearing a horseshoe why should we care to debate any topic that divides the players, team or fans into two camps. Honestly……….

no denying polian's impact to the team, but when you dont draft a player that goes to the probowl from 2007-2011, you've missed a lot

to be fair, he was picking at the bottom of the first round those years. it's tough to get pro bowl players at that position in the draft.

and you can draft a hall of fame qb in the 6th round. so everyone should be doing it, right?

all im saying is when you go 5 draft classes with total misses you did something wrong. I think brown angerer connor mathews and canstanzo are the only ones still on the team

Players wearing a horseshoe are players wearing a horseshoe why should we care to debate any topic that divides the players, team or fans into two camps. Honestly……….

Not meant to divide but just wanted to shine some light on the fact that there are remnants of a lot of good things that Polian did that still have a lasting impact on our roster.

Thoughts???

Bethea is a questionable member of that list, Brown contributed next-to-nothing for his first five years and Reggie isn't playing.   Not exactly an impressive list for 14 years of work. 

Thoughts???

All you're really saying is that the best players stay with a team the longest (I know contracts have a lot to do with that).

In other words, let's say you bring in a new GM in another year.  The best players from the Grigson era would most likely stay with the team - the cream rises.

Thoughts???

Polian was definitely better at drafting than Grigson but I would expect that, the Colts was Polian's 3rd GM job and it's the first for Grigson and he proved with this last draft that he has a lot to learn.  He seems like the type who can learn so I'm not too worried, but another draft or two where the team gets two or three players that contribute will start to show before too long.

Not meant to divide but just wanted to shine some light on the fact that there are remnants of a lot of good things that Polian did that still have a lasting impact on our roster.

As a 1st rd pick Brown is a huge bust IMO. I think he has rushed for 4xx some yards this season.

Yes, I am really liking his nice plays, and Holy Cow I am inclined to want him back. NEVER thought I would say that.

Grigson Men Freeman, Chapman, Landry, Cherilus, V Davis, FleenR, D Allen, TY, Rogers are the kind of players/athletes that could have a Pro Bowl game in their future.

A promising accumulation of talent and potential, in a short period of time.

all im saying is when you go 5 draft classes with total misses you did something wrong. I think brown angerer connor mathews and canstanzo are the only ones still on the team

if they are playing on another team then they aren't misses. you did forget mcafee and moala. those years 1st round picks were costanzo (starting), brown (starting), hughes (starting on another team), and gonzalez who was always hurt so who knows how good he would have been if healthy.

playing with another team:

hughes

powers

wheeler

tamme

garcon

if they are playing on another team then they aren't misses. you did forget mcafee and moala. those years 1st round picks were costanzo (starting), brown (starting), hughes (starting on another team), and gonzalez who was always hurt so who knows how good he would have been if healthy.

hughes

powers

wheeler

tamme

garcon

none of those players are anything special

hughes

powers

wheeler

tamme

garcon

Depends on how you look at it.  In some of the cases, if they were misses for us, under the coaching staff and systems Polian put in place, then they were misses.