Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The best DRAFTED Colts players outside Luck are Polian players

chad72

and every other gm missed on those players also. why attack bp? his low first round picks weren't as bad as you are making them out to be.

i guess every other gm was terrible at the time because they didn't draft brady or montana with their first pick. every year there are players that all gm's miss with a higher pick. are they all bad? why pick on bp. his entire player evaluation record is as good as anyone.

when your first round draft picks are anthony gonzalez tony ugoh(we gave up a first round pick to get him) donald brown( one good season) jerry hughes and anthony canstanzo that leaves much to desire

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get your post. I just think the Chiefs are completely different from the Colts at this point. Of course, they're only one year in, and the Colts are two years in. But the Colts roster is much more powered by Grigson guys than Polian guys, and I think the Chiefs are powered by Pioli guys more than by Dorsey guys.

http://www.profootballrosters.com/2013/07/24/how-assembled-chart-indianapolis/

http://www.profootballrosters.com/2013/07/30/how-assembled-chart-kansas-city/

agreed

when your first round draft picks are anthony gonzalez tony ugoh(we gave up a first round pick to get him) donald brown( one good season) jerry hughes and anthony canstanzo that leaves much to desire

gonzalez was a starter until he got hurt. ugoh was a starter for two years and he was a 2nd round pick. donald brown's problem has been injuries. hughes is starting now. costanzo is a 3 year starter. d you know someone that can predict injuries?

i don't think you will find a team that drafted at the bottom of the first round and consistently got impact players with those picks. is donald brown helping the team? costanzo? is it bp fault the colts gave up on hughes and he is helping another team? every gm misses in the draft, i just don't think he was as bad as most people think.

2009 was a good draft.

i have said many times the colts spent too much money signing their players, against what most poster thought was the correct move by the colts.

Donald Brown wasn't a good pick for our team. That he's still here five years later might show that Polian can recognize talent, but the fact is that he wasn't the right pick for our team at the time. Same for Jerry Hughes. The talent was always there, but we had no business drafting him because we couldn't develop the talent, and he didn't fit our schemes. Two bad picks.

Meanwhile, we had glaring needs at other positions, and those needs became more and more apparent as each season passed. And, like I said earlier, Polian refused to address those needs via free agency. I'd have much less of a problem with drafting for the future with Brown and maybe Hughes, if we had only signed some quality guys to fill the immediate needs at offensive line, linebacker, corner, safety, etc. 

The 2009 draft was solid, outside of the first round pick. Think about the butterfly effect of drafting Donald Brown, instead of James Laurinitis, for instance. With Laurinitis, we'd have had the future replacement for Gary Brackett, but he also could have started as a rookie, or at least shared time with Wheeler, instead of Hagler and Keiaho. Then we wouldn't have given Brackett a $10m signing bonus the next year, of which $4.8m is still on our books this year, not to mention the other players we could have signed/kept instead of Brackett, who played a total of 13 games and gave us 79 tackles after his contract was done. Then we wouldn't have drafted Pat Angerer in 2010, and instead could have targeted a lineman or a cornerback in the second round.

I don't want to sit here and nitpick everything Polian did and play "Alternate Universe," but the point is that poor draft decisions affected the team drastically.

gonzalez was a starter until he got hurt. ugoh was a starter for two years and he was a 2nd round pick. donald brown's problem has been injuries. hughes is starting now. costanzo is a 3 year starter. d you know someone that can predict injuries?

started and did nothing for the colts

I know this is all hindsight now.. But if we actually hit on a few first round picks at the end of the Polian era.. This team would be great..

Like I said, it is past the point now & it is easy to talk once you see what a player has/hasn't done.. But with a few good picks here and there by Polian, this team would be loads better

I dont know. This year's draft is kinda a bust. Werner is average so is Thornton. Holmes never plays. Hughes barely plays and the rest were cut

I think we have to go back and look at the 1st round of the draft. How many of those players made an impact this year?? Hardly any. I think rookies cannot be evaluated for 2-3 years. Dion Jordan, Tavon Austin, Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, DJ Hayden,Jarvis Jones, Datone Jones?? We don't know how good we got it. All of the those teams had high picks of the draft and have little production. we're fine. look at Fleener now compared to last year. we cannot begin to judge this years draft in my opinion. I agree noone has looked stellar. I think we are better off than alot of other teams that had higher draft picks though.

Doesn't that qualify as "baiting"? I don't have any agenda at all and I could care less what you believe. I am a Colts fan but I like to try and keep both feet on the ground too. :D

No it doesn't qualify as baiting. As I've told you before, the mod team along with most of the membership here does believe you are here to bait.

You call it 'being realistic'.........or 'keeping both your feet on the ground.'

But with most every post you take a shot at the colts and or their fans.......

I have told you that you have bridges to build with the membership to get them to believe you don't have an agenda.

And........yet we have this

Bethea has languished in the new defense. He just doesn't seem to have the impact he did in the Cover 2 style defense. 

This argument almost smells of a bait. I could also say Polian drafted mike pollack, jamey richard, tony ugoh, and anthony gonzalez while Grigson drafted Fleener, Allen, Hilton, and his worst FA signing has been better than any of the names I mentioned that were drafted by Polian. 

The only to look at a draft class or signing is after three years. It takes for players to develop so give the Grigson 2012 draft one more year to see if it panned out.

Werner  is starting to show signs of becoming a solid OLB since he was a DE in college

so many players hurt from the Grigson era it is showing that the depth he amased is decent and starting to produce

We saw two solid games back to back in Houston and KC.  We are not at elite status yet but It sure makes me feel better going into the playoffs.  Its a wait and see on new players or free agents. Lets have the 2012 signings discussion next year and we can really make solid points on those players.

We have a group of very intelligent people on here so it will be a fun discussion

No it doesn't qualify as baiting. As I've told you before, the mod team along with most of the membership here does believe you are here to bait.

You call it 'being realistic'.........or 'keeping both your feet on the ground.'

But with most every post you take a shot at the colts and or their fans.......

I have told you that you have bridges to build with the membership to get them to believe you don't have an agenda.

And........yet we have this

It sounds like the biggest bridge is with Superman.... :D

Polian got labeled a draft genius for drafting Peyton which fell into his lap & picking Edge over Ricky Williams, other than that he was as much hit or miss as any other GM in the league...

For every Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark's & Regie Wayne type pick Polian had, he also had a Ugoh, Gonzalez, Corey Simon (FA move but still a bad move), Quinn Pitcock, Pollock, Jerry Hughes, etc...

And for the couple late round steals that panned out (Mathis & Bethea) every team has starters that do good in the NFL not drafted in the first two,rounds....

Some posts seem like definite baits to divide Colts fans...

Mean Mr. Grinches

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 24, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Superman, December 24, 2013 - No reason given

Polian got labeled a draft genius for drafting Peyton which fell into his lap & picking Edge over Ricky Williams, other than that he was as much hit or miss as any other GM in the league...

For every Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark's & Regie Wayne type pick Polian had, he also had a Ugoh, Gonzalez, Corey Simon (FA move but still a bad move), Quinn Pitcock, Pollock, Jerry Hughes, etc...

And for the couple late round steals that panned out (Mathis & Bethea) every team has starters that do good in the NFL not drafted in the first two,rounds....

Some posts seem like definite baits to divide Colts fans...

Mean Mr. Grinches

Polian was labeled a draft genius long before he came to Indy. His days in Buffalo and Carolina had already cemented that. All drafts are 50-50 propositions and free agency is even more risky.  :D