Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reason the Colts are have so consistently injured?

cmgww

After seeing (again) a huge number of players ending up on IR...I began wondering: what gives? In the Polian days I used to think it had something to do with the strength and conditioning program. But we have an entirely different staff now. Torine is gone (old strength and conditioning coach)...and most of the training staff has been replaced. Plus we have gone away from the "small, fast" players that Polian and Dungy preferred. That said, I don't have an answer as to why we are still one of the most injured teams in the NFL. Last year wasn't too bad, but this year we are right back at 15 on IR. Are the Colts too quick to put players on IR? Is it the CBA limiting contact (many think that is contributing to league wide increases in injuries)...is it in the Indy water? I have no clue. Anyone else want to hazard a guess?

The Reggie Wayne injury is just bad Luck, literally. A terrible Luck throw causing him to reach awkwardly and just unfortunate.

I do believe a lot of the knee injuries are due to defensive players aiming low in order to avoid penalties. Something is going to have to change, too many guys are getting lost to knee injuries. There are some gruesome looking knee injuries occurring.

We are an NFL Football team. That's it. I really don't know if we have more injuries than average or not.

I think it just feels that way when it is your team.

It used to make me laugh when everyone blamed the strength and conditioning coach. Talk about a bunch of people

grasping at straws.

Injuries are always going to be a part of the game and they are always worse when they are your guy.

The Reggie Wayne injury is just bad Luck, literally. A terrible Luck throw causing him to reach awkwardly and just unfortunate.

I do believe a lot of the knee injuries are due to defensive players aiming low in order to avoid penalties. Something is going to have to change, too many guys are getting lost to knee injuries. There are some gruesome looking knee injuries occurring.

Maybe, but there seemed to be a ton of non contact acl tears in training camp. And how many knee injuries happened to defenseless players? Because they are the only ones protected.

It's too bad Luck was responsible for taking out Wayne, but it's just very true and a very terrible pass.  would peyton have thrown a ball that bad?, of course not, but luck is not peyton.  So there's why one injury happened.  As far as the others, let's go through each and every one, one by one.  OK, so for Ahmad Bradshaw, he was in beast mode and taking names, BUT, he is old and injury prone and we acquired him and we pay the price.  Next let's talk about another IR player, VB........  VB just got hurt and I will not blame that one on Pagano.  as far as the rest, just kidding, no way i'm going through them all.... all other teams have a ton too.  it happens to every team.  The colts will have injuries of this magnitude for the rest of their days,,,,that's just reality.  Some say its the baltimore curse.  I am not a fan of baltimore and i will NOT use a capital with their city name.  In fact, I will use a very small, small-case letter.

I get that all teams have injuries. That's life in the NFL. But for years we have been at or near the top of the most injured teams by years end in terms of players on IR.

From Football Outsiders, an excerpt from an article from 2010, when we were the 2nd most injured team in the league (adjusted games lost, the stat they use which takes a Math major to figure out)

"Speaking of the Colts, it's pretty clear that the Polian Era consistently results in injury rates higher than the league average, likely owing to the team's strategy of fielding an undersized, quicker defense. Fortunately for Indy fans, the Polian Era also has given them a team that drafts better than virtually anyone else in football, so there's not the dropoff that often comes for other teams with injuries. Since 2000, the only time the Colts have had an AGL figure better than league-average is 2005, when they went 14-2 and had the best point differential of the Polian Era."

So that points to my original thought of Polian and his smaller, faster guys. But that doesn't explain this season. Maybe it is just bad luck (no pun intended)...maybe it's water finding its level after last year's miracle season.

It's too bad Luck was responsible for taking out Wayne, but it's just very true and a very terrible pass.  would peyton have thrown a ball that bad?, of course not, but luck is not peyton.  So there's why one injury happened.  As far as the others, let's go through each and every one, one by one.  OK, so for Ahmad Bradshaw, he was in beast mode and taking names, BUT, he is old and injury prone and we acquired him and we pay the price.  Next let's talk about another IR player, VB........  VB just got hurt and I will not blame that one on Pagano.  as far as the rest, just kidding, no way i'm going through them all.... all other teams have a ton too.  it happens to every team.  The colts will have injuries of this magnitude for the rest of their days,,,,that's just reality.  Some say its the baltimore curse.  I am not a fan of baltimore and i will NOT use a capital with their city name.  In fact, I will use a very small, small-case letter.

Another Farley classic.

I don't feel like Luck is responsible for Reggie's injury, how can anyone even think that/??  ALL QBs throw bad passes, so if that's the case there would be NO players left because they would all be hurt trying to catch the ball !!!  Sure Luck feels guilty, BUT he isn't NOR should he be held responsible for Reggie going down !!!  That's just crazy !!!

Many of the injuries can be attributed to the field surface

In many cases players who get severely injured in the second half of the season are placed on the IR because teams can't wait for them to heal.

Lots of teams play on field turf

In the Polian days we were definitely hurt more than the average team. This year though I feel like we're right around league average. All we've really lost are Reggie, Donald Thomas, Allen, a couple RBs, and Toler for the time being. RBs get hurt all the time so that's to be expected. Thomas' injury was unfortunate as he was far and away our best OG. Allen's injury was in training camp if I'm not mistaken. Reggie's was a non contact play and the guy is in his mid 30's. Really it doesn't seem as extensive as the injury reports of the past, it's just the nature of the game. 

Maybe it was just meant to be.  Just think about this, if Rogers turned out to be the player everyone is hyping him to be, it would have never happened if wayne didn't go down.  Its not like I'm saying its a good thing he went down, but things happen for a reason.  Hope Reggie gets better and play for next season for a maybe potential Super Bowl run as well as the other players.  Get everyone healthy and accustomed to the new offense now and aim for a real Super Bowl run when everyone else is injured.

It's too bad Luck was responsible for taking out Wayne, but it's just very true and a very terrible pass.  would peyton have thrown a ball that bad?, of course not, but luck is not peyton. 

Ridiculous.  If you think this way you must feel the same way about Peyton leading Collie into 2 concussions then.

Welker suffered another one yesterday in Denver, you blaming the QB for it?

The Colts simply suck big time with these mediocre coaches running the show.  Team needs to be overhauled.

You know, if you were visibly representing another team, this comment would be considered trolling. But because you show that you are a Colts fan by your avatar, it is considered an opinion.

For what its worth, this type of thinking (insert your above description). But thats just my opinion, not an attempt to troll.

Maybe it was just meant to be.  Just think about this, if Rogers turned out to be the player everyone is hyping him to be, it would have never happened if wayne didn't go down.  Its not like I'm saying its a good thing he went down, but things happen for a reason.  Hope Reggie gets better and play for next season for a maybe potential Super Bowl run as well as the other players.  Get everyone healthy and accustomed to the new offense now and aim for a real Super Bowl run when everyone else is injured.

DHB would still stink if Reggie didn't get injured

In the Polian days we were definitely hurt more than the average team. This year though I feel like we're right around league average. All we've really lost are Reggie, Donald Thomas, Allen, a couple RBs, and Toler for the time being. RBs get hurt all the time so that's to be expected. Thomas' injury was unfortunate as he was far and away our best OG. Allen's injury was in training camp if I'm not mistaken. Reggie's was a non contact play and the guy is in his mid 30's. Really it doesn't seem as extensive as the injury reports of the past, it's just the nature of the game. 

First ruksak writes a intelligent post about why Reggie Wayne going down is not responsible for the Colts complete scoring woes in another thread & now the Peytonator writes another reasonable post too. Oh the humanity! What's this world coming too? Just Kidding you 2. Nice posts gentlemen! :thmup:  

It's the Baltimore fans and their witchcraft

Not us , we had plenty of our own injuries, especially last year. I do wonder if there are different types of artificial turf, where some may be more susceptible to injuries than others. I think, for the most part, it's just bad luck when a team has a lot of injuries. There is no doubt the Colts are very talented at full strength. The last few games have shown they have been ravaged by injuries.

Ridiculous.  If you think this way you must feel the same way about Peyton leading Collie into 2 concussions then.

Welker suffered another one yesterday in Denver, you blaming the QB for it?

No kidding...Like Peyton has never thrown a bad pass. CF probably actually believes that nonsense. 

Here is something to think about. First of all, injuries are rampant thru out the league this year, so it's not just Colts. The vast majority of those injuries are ligament related (acl mcl) All though muscle strength can be greatly improved, I think that ligament strength and durability has reached its limitations. So in a sense increased strength could be a liability (too much muscle for too little ligament) and in a sport that tests all of the joints to the max that can have a very negative outcome. It pains me to see anybody get injured no matter what team, but its the nature of football. Hopefully the Colts will make it to the end with no more injuries. Go Colts

I used to think about it too, why it seemed we had more injuries, and season ending one's too.  I hear the phrase getting healthy just in time for the playoffs for other teams, not us. (except Sanders in 2006-2007).  One day I was chatting with my 11 y/o son in his room.  During our conversation, Spongebob Squarepants episode - The Great Snail Race came on.  I watched it with him.  Afterward I decided that was our woes and haved moved on.  It is what it is, each and every year.  You just stop worrying, expect some, and do the best with what you got left.  It'll be similar next year, but different names (I hope).

For those who want to vent to their 11 year old son's about the Colt's injuries, put this on in the background...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybO9n_nfZz8

:)