Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep failing to take advantage of Luck's mobility.

Dustin

Am I the only one who feels this way? 

Luck is one of the best mobile QBs in the NFL and there are rarely any play calls that take advantage of his athleticism. There are rarely many roll-outs and the only time Luck gets to use his mobility is when the protection breaks down and he has to run for his life.  

I'm not saying to turn him into Mike Vick or anything, but a few designed QB runs to keep the defense on their feet couldn't hurt. It would help stave off the pass rush as well. 

I agree. I don't want all of these designed QB runs we see from other teams, but with Luck's athleticism and the poor line play I think they would benefit greatly from utilizing some roll-outs. Get him out of harms way and out where he can make a play with his arm and legs. 

Actually I should clarify. I don't want him running around like Kap or RGKnee. A few here and there would be good. I am a big fan of the naked boot he ran earlier this season for a TD.

I don't want any designed run plays thats one thing.  Problem is the play calling is horrible.  We need more short yards and some run after the catch plays.  To many big play calls. Screens, comeback routes, option routes (BTW these help get 1st downs). In other words, High percentage throws.  Yes injuries happens, but I've seen 5th string WR make more contributions than we do. BTW i don't know why we don't use screen passes to DHB and make use of his speed. I think our offense is rank near the end of the NFL teams.

pep is making Luck look horrible. His accuracy is probably worse than lastr year at this point+He doesn't take it down the field, pisses me off man!  :ticked:

Can you expand on your assertion that Pep is somehow responsible for Luck's inaccuracy?

I do agree with the OP's premise.  there were some rollouts earlier in the season but haven't seen any the past couple of games.  

I don't want any designed run plays thats one thing.  Problem is the play calling is horrible.  We need more short yards and some run after the catch plays.  To many big play calls. Screens, comeback routes, option routes (BTW these help get 1st downs). In other words, High percentage throws.  Yes injuries happens, but I've seen 5th string WR make more contributions than we do. BTW i don't know why we don't use screen passes to DHB and make use of his speed. I think our offense is rank near the end of the NFL teams.

the thing is they have to take some shots down the field to get the secondary to back off a little bit.  there were several short high percentage routes being run but teams have figured out that our OL can only block for 1 or 2 seconds so they have all of their coverage up in the first 5 yards from the LOS.  when that happens, those short, high percentage throws won't work either.

I called for this at the beginning of the season.....

Luck should rarely be throwing from the same spot in back to back plays...

Yes,  we should be rolling him out both right and left...

Yes,  he should be throwing 3, 5 and 7 step drops.....   with 7 step drops being the type of plays we run least!   Our line is not good enough to offer much protection on 7-step drops.    I'm not saying eliminate them,  but be selective when we use them.

Put another way....  ESPN has spent the better part of two weeks detailing how Peyton Manning leads all NFL QB's in getting rid of the ball the fastest.....   less than 3 seconds.    All other QB's are over 3 seconds.

If Denver can do that....   so can the Colts.  

Perhaps not as well,  after all,  Denver has 4 quality receivers, all fast and quick....  but the point is the same....  get the ball out of Luck's hands, and move him around the pocket so defenses can't easily predict where he'll be....

Can you expand on your assertion that Pep is somehow responsible for Luck's inaccuracy?

I do agree with the OP's premise.  there were some rollouts earlier in the season but haven't seen any the past couple of games.  

Bad playcalling=no one's open=Luck has to throw or be sacked which leads to throwing to covered people or throwing it away which reduce his Completion percentage.

Luck is one of the best mobile QBs in the NFL and there are rarely any play calls that take advantage of his athleticism. There are rarely many roll-outs and the only time Luck gets to use his mobility is when the protection breaks down and he has to run for his life.  

I'm not saying to turn him into Mike Vick or anything, but a few designed QB runs to keep the defense on their feet couldn't hurt. It would help stave off the pass rush as well. 

We have that play in our book. It is the one where no one on the OL blocks. ;)

Bad playcalling=no one's open=Luck has to throw or be sacked which leads to throwing to covered people or throwing it away which reduce his Completion percentage.

ah gotcha.  I agree that those things will affect Luck's completion percentage but that doesn't have anything to do with his accuracy.  He has been inaccurate quite a bit this season too but that has nothing to do with Pep.

I Would and could argue all day every day that Pep Hamilton is terrible , hes play-calling stubbornness is a big issue. I want that man gone ! Stop making injuries excuses , you are OC , figure  it the # out how to score more then 8 points , if you cant do that then look for a job . Defense is not  playing good , granted , but when you are on the field 70% of game because offense aint doing a damn a thing , you cant expect anything better . Does this team even looks at films and go over the playbook during the week ? What in the world are they doing during practice ? Listening to Pagano's "stick to the process" speeches ? What process exactly are you talking about ?  over the last four games, the Colts have been outscored in the first two quarters by a total of 93-12 , whatever the process you talking about certainly aint working!  This team is so unprepared for the game and look lost and lazy out on the field, and by listening to Pagano's press conferences im not sure that even he knows what is going on . I'll be stoked if Colts finish 10-6 , they might not even take the division. Someone needs to get their butt chewed ! Whats Mike Singletary's number ? lol :)....I love you Colts , but * get your % together and fast !    

Agree...what I don't get is that in the beginning Pep did some of those roll outs

okay, so lets take this thread to the next level.  what offensive coordinator would you like to have for next year?  my choice: gary kubiak.  if the texans lose out or even close, they may let him go.  think about all the roll outs the shaub has done to us over the years, now add the threat of Lucks speed.  and i believe he brings a better offensive line scheme for our running back as well.  

okay, so lets take this thread to the next level.  what offensive coordinator would you like to have for next year?  my choice: gary kubiak.  if the texans lose out or even close, they may let him go.  think about all the roll outs the shaub has done to us over the years, now add the threat of Lucks speed.  and i believe he brings a better offensive line scheme for our running back as well.  

IF, and that's a huge IF, Pep were to be fired, and I do NOT think that he will be, then I would be all for Kubiak.  I think of him as being similar to Norv Turner...a great offensive mind and offensive coordinator but not exactly the best Head Coach.

Ugh, no.  I think I'd rather give Pep another year than settle for Kubiak.  At least whne we were healthier, Pep's offense got us off to a good start.  Part of the issue now is that Pep's offense has been depleted of most the weapons he counted on when the season started.  Even though this team is not as successful as it was in the first half of the season, it's definitely not going backwards at the same pace Kubiak's team did with a healthy roster.

I agree Pep is failing to take advantage of QB roll outs.

Also, doesnt it seem like we never run "play action" passes? 

Well, that's typically what happens when you are ouscored  like 90-12 in the first half over a course of 3 games.  Teams know you got to pass, so play action loses its luster.  We run it with regularity before we get down 2 or more scores.

Ugh, no.  I think I'd rather give Pep another year than settle for Kubiak.  At least whne we were healthier, Pep's offense got us off to a good start.  Part of the issue now is that Pep's offense has been depleted of most the weapons he counted on when the season started.  Even though this team is not as successful as it was in the first half of the season, it's definitely not going backwards at the same pace Kubiak's team did with a healthy roster.

One of the reasons I would be interested in Kubiak is the fact that, like Mike Shanahan, he is pretty much a master at OL blocking schemes.  How many late round RB's has Shanahan turned into perennial 1000 yard rushers because of his blocking schemes?  For that reason alone I would be all for bringing in Kubiak.  

Again though, I'm not saying I want Pep to be fired and I certainly don't think he will be.  

I don't entirely disagree, but there's a reason for his pocket passing.

A. They don't want to expose him through play design to hits.

B. The line stinks on ice. They get Luck hit trying to provide him one spot to throw from, let alone multiple spots.

C. When Luck does run, it's because the play broke down and he's avoiding a would be sack. Did I mention the line stinks?

There's more to this, but that's the obvious stuff.