Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A coaching change need to be made. (assigning blame merge)

SilentHill

Sometimes the HARDEST thing in life is to admit mistakes for fear of backlash (PR) or due to one's own pride. This coaching staff needs a hard look at seasons end. It's too easy to put the blame on injuries or the time to gel excuse. Greg Mac has been fired multiple times as dc for being too vanilla. He received a pass last year because the Colts didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 but after money was spent on defense in the offseason the results have been subpar with sporadic play at best. I have watched various nfl shows which include former players and coaches downplay the Colts offense and lack of big plays. Yes they have injuries like ALL teams do but the good to great ones adapt by putting the best AVAILABLE on the field and CATER to their strengths in order to win. To FORCE a system that lacks the personnel to pull it off is BAD coaching. Pep has turned a franchise qb into an average game manager asked to carry the offense in the 2ND HALF after being down from slow starts while trying to establish the power run game early leading to many 3 and outs. The offense is outdated and LACKS imagination ESPECIALLY on the NFL level. Chuck has stated the slow starts must stop yet in the same breath says we need to get back to the run game. What?! :omg: Do something DIFFERENT!!!  START the game in the hurry up spread formation and use the pass to setup the run. The team is reeling and REGRESSING. Now is NOT the time for this coaching to be STUBBORN and I'm afraid a lot of Colt fans felt the BETTER choice as hc stood on the opposite sideline.

I'd be fine moving on from Manusky.....have never been a fan of his. I am not a fan of Pagano the coach, but I do respect the man. I was unhappy with how conservative Chuck was before he got sick last year. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim does look at the forums. It was mentioned a few weeks ago about a few people being angry when we lost to San Deigo. The offense in itself isn't the problem. It's the offensive line and wr's aren't getting open. Sport Sciene has already proven Andrew Luck's decision making is pretty fast. Coupled with a lack of a running game. My knock on Luck is he knows when to run regardless of wanting to be a pocket passer". Run to win football games.

I've nailed like 20 of his trivia questions, was the first one to nail it... then he gives the "prize" to someone who saw my answer and copied it. Several of the questions were things that no one else would know or at least VERY few people in the world without the help of google. Jim/"Abby" always makes sure to not pick me.

Jim is getting his just dessert with what's happening this season. He should get off twitter and the pills and pull a page out of the Rooneys book of ownership, you know since they have multiple rings and he's just got daddy's vault.

I don't think Pagano is ever going to be a guy who makes good adjustments. He gets outcoached pretty frequently. Not impressed at all this year.

Really? So he gets no credit for the halftime adjustments that helped bring the team back from multiple halftime deficits?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 25, 2013 - quoting edited post
Hidden by Nadine, November 25, 2013 - quoting edited post

Shut up, you aren't adding a thing to this post.

And OP, I agree with you. We need to be more creative with our game plan and the Oline needs to somehow be better. Ways to fix that may only be in the off season. Our defense has been lack luster lately and hasn't show much energy.

Easy now.

Luck numbers will be always low as long as Pagano is the head coach, he wants to run the ball 40x a game. If we don't make the playoffs this year there's a good chance Pep and Manusky will be fired and Chuck will be on the hot seat next year.

I don't think there's a "good chance" of any if those things happening. Caldwell got three years and would have been back for a fourth if spagnuolo would have accepted the DC position

It's the coaches, you saw how bad the Saints were without  Sean Payton and how great they are this year with him. They have the same personnel with the exception of Keenan Lewis and rookies,  hired Rob Ryan and switched to the 3-4. We have the personnel were just being out coached.

The coaches are still starting Satele, Mcglynn, Angerer, DHB, and Reed when neither of these guys should start on any team in the league. Link should be at RG, Conner over Angerer, Rogers over DHB, and anyone over Reed.  Whalen should be on the roster in the slot because DHB, Brazil or Reed aren't doing anything. We drafted Holmes to play C but yet he hasn't seen the field. The coaches are too stubborn to make changes and their bad at evaluating talent and as a result it's why were getting blown out by teams we should beat.

It's the coaches, you saw how bad the Saints were without Sean Payton and how great they are this year with him. They have the same personnel with the exception of Keenan Lewis and rookies, hired Rob Ryan and switched to the 3-4. We have the personnel were just being out coached.

The coaches are still starting Satele, Mcglynn, Angerer, DHB, and Reed when neither of these guys should start on any team in the league. Link should be at RG, Conner over Angerer, Rogers over DHB, and anyone over Reed. Whalen should be on the roster in the slot because DHB, Brazil or Reed aren't doing anything. We drafted Holmes to play C but yet he hasn't seen the field. The coaches are too stubborn to make changes and their bad at evaluating talent and as a result it's why were getting blown out by teams we should beat.

So uh, now many practices had you attended before coming to these personnel decisions of yours?

So uh, now many practices had you attended before coming to these personnel decisions of yours?

I've been to two Colts open practices at Anderson this is a high octane passing attack personnel, not a power running team. Were better in a uptempo offense not the slow pace Pagano wants. We activated 4 TE's against the best run defense in the league but didn't activate Rogers and left Whalen on the practice squad. Whalen was lighting it up in training camp and even our defensive guys says he gets open a lot and makes big time catches. We could have used him vs the Cards.

I've been to two Colts open practices at Anderson this is a high octane passing attack personnel, not a power running team. Were better in a uptempo offense not the slow pace Pagano wants. We activated 4 TE's against the best run defense in the league but didn't activate Rogers and left Whalen on the practice squad. Whalen was lighting it up in training camp and even our defensive guys says he gets open a lot and makes big time catches. We could have used him vs the Cards.

I never got why they released Whalen if he was reliable like that and it showed in a few games, like Tennessee. 

I never got why they released Whalen if he was reliable like that and it showed in a few games, like Tennessee. 

I don't understand it either but yet DHB and Reed are both on the roster.... Whalen would have made a huge difference in this game, we might not would have won but we would have at least kept the score respectable. Imo T.Y, Rogers, and Whalen should be the starters moving forward.

So does that mean players never do anything wrong and should never get blame for anything?

Of course the player gets some of the blame ... but ultimately the blame for many failures to execute by a player fall to some degree back on the coaching staff.  If the player did not execute because the coach did not make sure player 1) completely understood 2) asked the player to do something he was not good at 3) Had the wrong players around said player to allow said player to execute etc .... etc ....

This is in addition to the blame the coach must accept for poor game planning, poor game time decisions, poor personnel decisions, poor scouting, and not making proper halftime adjustments.

Example: Luck throws interception ... some interceptions luck must take full blame for because he made bad decision, etc .... but interception thrown because OL allowed 2 D-linemen to come through basically untouched and hit him as he throws ... part of that blame goes on OL, but if OL are playing to the best of their abilities than the rest of the blame for that interception goes on coaches because somewhere along the line they failed; whether it was putting the wrong guys on the line, not teaching properly, making bad decisions on who to cut/keep in training camp, or not making Grigson fully aware of what was required for OL to function at the required level.

I don't understand it either but yet DHB and Reed are both on the roster.... Whalen would have made a huge difference in this game, we might not would have won but we would have at least kept the score respectable. Imo T.Y, Rogers, and Whalen should be the starters moving forward.

Rogers hasn't played a snap in the Nfl and he should be a starter? I want to see what he can do too but no way hr comes in and becomes a starter in his first NFL game. Not gonna happen. And I think some of those defenders were just being nice talking about Whalen. Hes been decent but by no means a game changer.

Bug then again, I haven't been to two whole practices so I bow before your experience and expertise in these matters.

Rogers hasn't played a snap in the Nfl and he should be a starter? I want to see what he can do too but no way hr comes in and becomes a starter in his first NFL game. Not gonna happen. And I think some of those defenders were just being nice talking about Whalen. Hes been decent but by no means a game changer.

Bug then again, I haven't been to two whole practices so I bow before your experience and expertise in these matters.

I'll take a decent Whalen over a terrible DHB and Reed every Sunday. He's just a better football player then both. He's a smart player, good route runner and recognizes defenses well. He just knows how to get open.

I'll take a decent Whalen over a terrible DHB and Reed every Sunday. He's just a better football player then both. He's a smart player, good route runner and recognizes defenses well. He just knows how to get open.

the problem was Griff wasn't getting open very often. He looks slow. I liked Griff and he made some nice catches here and there but I don't think he's fast enough for the NFL. I'd take him over Reed but DHB despite his faults is better.

I'd be fine moving on from Manusky.....have never been a fan of his. I am not a fan of Pagano the coach, but I do respect the man. I was unhappy with how conservative Chuck was before he got sick last year. 

Didn't like the Manusky hire either but with Chuck onboard I figured if the defense wasn't up to par Chuck would take over the defensive playcalling. That ALONE was the ONLY benefit I saw for Chuck being hc because most defensive coaches are conservative to a fault (strong defense, ground and pound on offense) but Bruce had an aggressive vertical approach that offset Chuck's philosophy. Now in comes Pep with his college offense featuring a power running attack that is not translating well to the Colt's personnel. Luck is STILL taking big hits in the pocket ALL while accmulating PEDESTRIAN passing stats to match and Trent looks terrible in the power I. Pep is in over his head as the oc TRYING to find his way on the NFL level stunting Luck's growth in the process. Injuries or not I've SEEN ENOUGH to realize that opposing defenses will STUDY, ADAPT and then SHUTDOWN Pep's BASIC offense which is getting UGLIER by the week! There are teams right now playing with backup qbs and even some dealing with limited playmakers on offense but are STILL showing SOME type of progress lately (Rams, Bucs even the Jags) so enough with the excuses for Pep and the rest of this subpar staff. :wall:  REMEMBER TY (a MAIN playmaker) wasn't starting or even on the field that much the beginning of the season. Enough said...  :thmdown:

I've nailed like 20 of his trivia questions, was the first one to nail it... then he gives the "prize" to someone who saw my answer and copied it. Several of the questions were things that no one else would know or at least VERY few people in the world without the help of google. Jim/"Abby" always makes sure to not pick me.

So are you saying real Abby doesn't like you or fictitious Abby (she's real, btw) doesn't like you?  Also, a hatpick isn't time sensitive.

Jim is getting his just dessert with what's happening this season. He should get off twitter and the pills and pull a page out of the Rooneys book of ownership, you know since they have multiple rings and he's just got daddy's vault.

Even by your standards this post both amazes and scares me. 

CNN Sports (one of the most viewed sports web-sites in the country) B/R:

The Indianapolis Colts have gone from feel-good AFC South leader to one of the most embarrassing and difficult-to-watch teams in the entire NFL

At 7-4, the Colts have lost two of their last four games and have fallen apart in every facet of the game. Worse yet, they were just shellacked by an inferior Arizona Cardinals team that may have an imposing defense but shouldn't be nearly good enough to beat the Colts 40-11.

WOW, this article was brutal and it's not the only one of this type.  Should they be this harsh on the Colts?  There was a movie made called "Harsh Times" and the ending was not good for the main character.  How will our saga end?

The colts really need a drastic change in the Defense. One solution, a new DC.  They need to make a change to the offense as well, a new OC.  Pep is way over his head.

Whatever the reason, the coaching staff doesn't seem to have their team prepared for games. The "Pep and Pagano Show" ain't workin', folks. Two yards and a cloud of dust is not a game plan.

CNN Sports (one of the most viewed sports web-sites in the country) B/R:

The Indianapolis Colts have gone from feel-good AFC South leader to one of the most embarrassing and difficult-to-watch teams in the entire NFL

At 7-4, the Colts have lost two of their last four games and have fallen apart in every facet of the game. Worse yet, they were just shellacked by an inferior Arizona Cardinals team that may have an imposing defense but shouldn't be nearly good enough to beat the Colts 40-11.

WOW, this article was brutal and it's not the only one of this type.  Should they be this harsh on the Colts?  There was a movie made called "Harsh Times" and the ending was not good for the main character.  How will our saga end?

At first rage, after the first half I would have been harsh too, now, 13 hours after I'm still mad. We couldn't execute that is on player, but our adjustment worked neither what is on coaches. We are out of gas.

On the other hand, Cards are better team than media thinks.

Yes we are living harsh times, and it is up to coaches to handle this situation and turn it back to right track. We've lost something since bye-week.