Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Marshall Faulk have something against Peyton?

ReMeDy

I remember thinking he does, but I could be mistaken. It's pretty much on display in this video:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000285616/Better-chance-to-reach-Super-Bowl-Brady-or-Manning

@ 3:01, one of the other booth crew brings up a point about the schedule, and suddenly Faulk gets upset he got interrupted. It's as if the mere notion of this whole discussion involving Peyton is getting Faulk riled up. Then at the end, Rich Eisen mentions his surprise that Faulk is not favoring his former teammate, Peyton. Rich Eisen may be secretly saying this sarcastically, because Marshall smiles like Rich just caught him in a trap, pauses, but rather than defend Peyton, he dodges the statement by claiming he's just an analyst.

The only positive thing Faulk said about Peyton is he plays well in domes, but that is kind of a stab in the back also, suggesting Peyton is incapable of playing in even remotely bad conditions.

I'd hate to eat lunch with Marshall Faulk. That guy is waaay too serious. He'd probably get into an argument over kitchen utensils.

I like Faulk, and I've never had the impression in the slightest that he has a problem with Peyton. He clearly respects him enormously, and often backs him in conversations such as this - thus Eisen's comments about his position being a surprise. All he really said was some variation of - "this game is being played outside in cold weather, there are no team's who are serious contenders to the Patriots other than the Broncos, so the winner of this game may well get home field advantage. If the Broncos can't beat them in NE now, they are even less likely to be able to beat them there in the middle of winter - and Brady has a much better track record in cold weather."

I can't say that I disagree with any of that, although it's not particularly complimentary to the Colts, Bengals, or Chiefs - whose defenses may well give them an advantage in the middle of winter.

However I'm still unhappy that I watched this, because Deon - as always - made my blood boil a bit. HE has a problem with Peyton - always has. I don't mind anyone expressing a rational reason for why Brady will win, but his slathering always sounds like the worst kind of Patriot fan who believes every absurd exaggeration ever offered with the intent of irritating Colts/Broncos fans. He barely stopped short of using the phrases "under the bus" and "choke", and conveniently ignored the existence of exceptional receivers such as Moss, Welker and Gronkowski when lauding Brady's past success.

Marshall needs to lay of the Haterade. I will say some of his points are valid, though.

On another note, not trying to hijack the thread, but did anyone watch the 2057: Brady vs. Manning video that played after the Marshall one? That was probably the worst, most pointless video I've ever watched..so needless to say, don't waste your time (it makes a Yahoo! video look good). Plus, Brady looks pretty dang good for 80...I'll be one happy fella if I look anything like that.

Yeah, Marshall has a bee in his bustle over the Colts in general.

Also, when he came out of college, there was a stigma over him not being the greatest guy (personality issues), so...... maybe we see a little of that.

I gotta add, though, that I have seen times where he's defended the Colts also, so maybe there's a roller coaster ride going on somewhere, we're not privy to.

Another thing; who is Julius Thomas, Eric Decker, or Demaryius Thomas without Peyton? They would still be nobodies. 

Don't forget The Balire White Project was the BEST wide receiver in the league during the period he was a starter.

No receiver would be as good as they are without a QB that can get them the ball....I thought the

colts 2011 season proved that

Reggie?

Good year especially all things considered that year for him and Garcon.....But having that 3 ringed QB circus affected his numbers significantly...Tied for 2nd lowest td output of his career with 4 (2nd year in the league).....8 of the last 10 years he has had well over 1000 yards receiving in each season......2011 was 1 of the 3 years in that time span he did not...the other were......2nd year in league 838....and this year 503 prior to injury

Good year especially all things considered that year for him and Garcon.....But having that 3 ringed QB circus affected his numbers significantly...Tied for 2nd lowest td output of his career with 4 (2nd year in the league).....8 of the last 10 years he has had well over 1000 yards receiving in each season......2011 was 1 of the 3 years in that time span he did not...the other were......2nd year in league 838....and this year 503 prior to injury

One of those situations where great WRs can make mediocre QBs better. Great QBs can make mediocre WRs better. And when the two collide. Special things happen.

I remember thinking he does, but I could be mistaken. It's pretty much on display in this video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000285616/Better-chance-to-reach-Super-Bowl-Brady-or-Manning

@ 3:01, one of the other booth crew brings up a point about the schedule, and suddenly Faulk gets upset he got interrupted. It's as if the mere notion of this whole discussion involving Peyton is getting Faulk riled up. Then at the end, Rich Eisen mentions his surprise that Faulk is not favoring his former teammate, Peyton. Rich Eisen may be secretly saying this sarcastically, because Marshall smiles like Rich just caught him in a trap, pauses, but rather than defend Peyton, he dodges the statement by claiming he's just an analyst.

The only positive thing Faulk said about Peyton is he plays well in domes, but that is kind of a stab in the back also, suggesting Peyton is incapable of playing in even remotely bad conditions.

I'd hate to eat lunch with Marshall Faulk. That guy is waaay too serious. He'd probably get into an argument over kitchen utensils.

I don`t see where you interpreted any of this correctly. lol

No, it's there. He has a problem with the Colts, Manning, Polian, Irsay...

Maybe but I don't see it, Maybe I am not looking at the right things...Back when Faulk was a rb for the Colts I didn't pay attention to things that happened off the field like I do now so Im sure I missed some things along the way between the time Faulk was a Colt till the time he was a Ram

Another thing; who is Julius Thomas, Eric Decker, or Demaryius Thomas without Peyton? They would still be nobodies. 

Don't forget The Balire White Project was the BEST wide receiver in the league during the period he was a starter.

I recall DT and Decker as very young players that made Tebow look like an NFL QB.

No idea how you can be so far off on this.

Oh wait, as Deon would put it, you are a Peyton is the GOAT in the regular season guy.

Maybe but I don't see it, Maybe I am not looking at the right things...Back when Faulk was a rb for the Colts I didn't pay attention to things that happened off the field like I do now so Im sure I missed some things along the way between the time Faulk was a Colt till the time he was a Ram

The Colts drafted Manning and made him one of the highest paid players in the league. Faulk had been the Colts best player, and wanted a new contract, or he wasn't going to report. The Colts traded him to the Rams and then drafted another back, Edgerrin James. It's not hard to understand he'd have a little bit of a problem with them.

Can't say with the others but I think J. Thomas is legit.  Last year none of the other TE's got the ball or scored as much with it as much as J Thomas is now.  

He probably wouldn't be getting the kind of production he's getting now, but I think J Thomas would be good on any team.

I recall DT and Decker as very young players that made Tebow look like an NFL QB.

No idea how you can be so far off on this.

Oh wait, as Deon would put it, you are a Peyton is the GOAT in the regular season guy.

I don't think you recall well at all because no one was doing anything in the 2011 Broncos passing game. I think the overtime catch in Pittsburgh makes you over inflate what they did.

Most of Dekcer's production came when Kyle Orton was the quarterback. While Demaryius was injured half of the year.

I don't think you recall well at all because no one was doing anything in the 2011 Broncos passing game. I think the overtime catch in Pittsburgh makes you over inflate what they did.

Most of Dekcer's production came when Kyle Orton was the quarterback. While Demaryius was injured half of the year.

All those receivers are talented, especially D Thomas, but all receivers need a competent QB. Ask Larry Fitzgerald.

I like Faulk, and I've never had the impression in the slightest that he has a problem with Peyton. He clearly respects him enormously, and often backs him in conversations such as this - thus Eisen's comments about his position being a surprise. All he really said was some variation of - "this game is being played outside in cold weather, there are no team's who are serious contenders to the Patriots other than the Broncos, so the winner of this game may well get home field advantage. If the Broncos can't beat them in NE now, they are even less likely to be able to beat them there in the middle of winter - and Brady has a much better track record in cold weather."

I can't say that I disagree with any of that, although it's not particularly complimentary to the Colts, Bengals, or Chiefs - whose defenses may well give them an advantage in the middle of winter.

However I'm still unhappy that I watched this, because Deon - as always - made my blood boil a bit. HE has a problem with Peyton - always has. I don't mind anyone expressing a rational reason for why Brady will win, but his slathering always sounds like the worst kind of Patriot fan who believes every absurd exaggeration ever offered with the intent of irritating Colts/Broncos fans. He barely stopped short of using the phrases "under the bus" and "choke", and conveniently ignored the existence of exceptional receivers such as Moss, Welker and Gronkowski when lauding Brady's past success.

I love the way Deon ignores Brady's late game failure over the last several years. Heck, just this year he has two game ending picks against the Bengals and Panthers. And if it weren't for pathetic time management by the Saints he would have three.

If you look at his performances in the playoffs since their last SB win, it doesn't exactly scream clutch. I guess if you win early, they give you a pass.

I had no idea that Faulk disliked the Colts or had a problem with Peyton.  I don't know why he would.  But he does have a problem with the Pats especially after the 2001 Super Bowl loss to the Pats.

Faulk needs to learn to not be biased and not show favoritism or editorialize now that he's in the media.  Some of these former NFL players need to leave their personal gripes with former teams and players at the door before they get on the air.

The Colts drafted Manning and made him one of the highest paid players in the league. Faulk had been the Colts best player, and wanted a new contract, or he wasn't going to report. The Colts traded him to the Rams and then drafted another back, Edgerrin James. It's not hard to understand he'd have a little bit of a problem with them.

Was Faulk in the last year of his deal at the time he wasn't going to report or did he have a year or so left

I always thought he hated the Pats too due to 2001.

Maybe he is just a hater lol.

It does make you wonder why Marshall Faulk would throw all his support behind Brady. Look, I have a tremendous respect for Tom & all his division titles & 3 SB Championships. However, I can't help wondering if it's a case of "if you can't beat him; join him" or at least throw your complete support behind Brady the rest of his career.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you admit it publicly & stop pretending that you are impartial when it comes to backing #12 as opposed to #18. JMO. 

I had no idea that Faulk disliked the Colts or had a problem with Peyton.  I don't know why he would.  But he does have a problem with the Pats especially after the 2001 Super Bowl loss to the Pats.

Faulk needs to learn to not be biased and not show favoritism or editorialize now that he's in the media.  Some of these former NFL players need to leave their personal gripes with former teams and players at the door before they get on the air.

I get what you are saying Pats fan, but like I stated above, bias doesn't bother me as long as an analyst is honest about it. Complete neutrality only really matters during jury duty or working for the Red Cross. We all operate with a distinct set of personal preferences in life, but as a reporter all I ask is that you are open & honest about what your preferences are. It's when people lie to me with a straight face about their hypocrisy that SW1 gets royally ticked off. 

Faulk is a mediocre analyst... but watching pregame shows would be more boring if every guy was always a homer for the teams(s) that he played for..  Good example is Rodney Harrison, who's analysis isn't all that sharp, but at least he will praise Colts, Ravens, ect. and criticize the Pats when warranted...

btw... Reggie+Painter/Stanton > Fitzgerald+Palmer and Lloyd/Decker/Thomas+Tebow/Orton...

Exactly MAC. I can't stand Deion Sanders as an analyst because he slams Peyton all year long in 2006 & then INDY beats the Bears in the SB & he pretends to be his BFF after the award ceremony. Kiss my caboose Deion you 2 faced piece of crap! Deion did the exact same thing with his brother Eli & the NY Giants the following year.

And don't get me started on how Deion always talks about toughness, being on the field, & making plays when Deion often made "business decisions" not too tackle the ball carrier & was injure prone & not on the field as a Baltimore Raven. Deion Sanders gets under my skin. I hate the guy. How can a man who loves the sound of his own voice so much deliver the most pathetic HOF speech anyway? Okay, SW1 will get off my soap/rant box now. 

I do respect Deion's 2 SB rings & World Series Championship with the Atlanta Braves. Sanders is a proven winner; Even I can't deny him that. SW1 may detest Deion, but I am fair or I strive to be anyway. 

Exactly MAC. I can't stand Deion Sanders as an analyst because he slams Peyton all year long in 2006 & then INDY beats the Bears in the SB & he pretends to be his BFF after the award ceremony. Kiss my caboose Deion you 2 faced piece of crap! Deion did the exact same thing with his brother Eli & the NY Giants the following year.

And don't get me started on how Deion always talks about toughness, being on the field, & making plays when Deion often made "business decisions" not too tackle the ball carrier & was injure prone & not on the field as a Baltimore Raven. Deion Sanders gets under my skin. I hate the guy. How can a man who loves the sound of his own voice so much deliver the most pathetic HOF speech anyway? Okay, SW1 will get off my soap/rant box now. 

I do respect Deion's 2 SB rings & World Series Championship with the Atlanta Braves. Sanders is a proven winner; Even I can't deny him that. SW1 may detest Deion, but I am fair or I strive to be anyway.

Totally agree about Deion.

I actually think Faulk tries to be a good analyst, while Deion and Michael are trying to impress the ladies. Irvin did some routine with a cheerleader last night that was just embarrassing. They need to make a movie with those two and call it Fool and Fooler.

It's clearly obvious that he doesn't like the colts since it was his former team. And hates the patriots because they took a super bowl away from him.

Real analysts like Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison are not biased and properly analyze any NFL team without giving criticism based on their past experiences...