Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on DHB so far

sreylas937

Sunday is absolutely being dramatized. It's not a surprise though. Some have been waiting all season to say "I told you so! Bad hands!"

He's not a priority. Why does 27 yards a game surprise you?

Reggie had his own issues early on this game, difference being he's the number 1 option on most plays.

He also had Richard Sherman draped all over him a number of times Luck looked his way last Sunday.

But every time he touches he fights hard I.E the reverse play run. And when he disappears from the stat sheet, he doesn't actually disappear like Avery did. He blocks hard, and contributes hard whenever he gets the chance.

DHB's overall contributions > Avery.

Holy crap, your right. I just went over every one of DHB's targets and his only drop came on a pass short right at 4:34 of the 4th quarter vs Seahawks, Luck has only went deep to him once as well....serious misuse of his abilities

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday is absolutely being dramatized. It's not a surprise though. Some have been waiting all season to say "I told you so! Bad hands!"

He's not a priority. Why does 27 yards a game surprise you?

Reggie had his own issues early on this game, difference being he's the number 1 option on most plays.

He also had Richard Sherman draped all over him a number of times Luck looked his way last Sunday.

But every time he touches he fights hard I.E the reverse play run. And when he disappears from the stat sheet, he doesn't actually disappear like Avery did. He blocks hard, and contributes hard whenever he gets the chance.

DHB's overall contributions > Avery.

Bey does seem to draw the oppositions No. 1 cover corner with some regularity.  It's a hard thing to quantify, but drawing coverage is still a key contribution.

So what does everyone think of the signing now? I still think it's a bad signing, He has proved no matter what QB is throwing him the ball, He'll still drop it... This pass week i was throwing stuff at the TV when he dropped the easy pass on second and 5 where he could've easily made the first down plus some... How many drops he have this year so far?

That was his first drop.  He's been a good sign, but we don't use him to stretch the field like I thought we would have.  Not sure what happened.  He's running mostly short-mid routes.  Good sign, but a possession receiver and he's done that surprisingly well.

Holy crap, your right. I just went over every one of DHB's targets and his only drop came on a pass short right at 4:34 of the 4th quarter vs Seahawks, Luck has only went deep to him once as well....serious misuse of his abilities

I don't know that it's a misuse of his abilities.  I don't remember where I saw it, but someone had said that Grigson or Hamilton didn't think he coudl track the ball very well on the longer routes.  I have no idea if it is true or not.  But regardless, with Hilton to stretch the field and do it better than DHB ever did in Oakland, I'm okay with how we're using him, especially since he has caught just about everything that was within his power.  Doesn't make any phenomenal catches, but he's been good with the short stuff when he can get open.

That was his first drop. He's been a good sign, but we don't use him to stretch the field like I thought we would have. Not sure what happened. He's running mostly short-mid routes. Good sign, but a possession receiver and he's done that surprisingly well.

We really don't have the offensive line to use go routes like that. If you've noticed most of our chunk plays came from quick passes that the WR's made into long gains (I.E. Reggie's pass against the 9ers)

But nonetheless our offense is working so I don't mind how we run it. Sitting at 4-1 is a good feeling

We really don't have the offensive line to use go routes like that. If you've noticed most of our chunk plays came from quick passes that the WR's made into long gains (I.E. Reggie's pass against the 9ers)

But nonetheless our offense is working so I don't mind how we run it. Sitting at 4-1 is a good feeling

Yep.  We threw down the field more often than we usually do this past Sunday, but by and large, it's the short game.  

So what does everyone think of the signing now? I still think it's a bad signing, He has proved no matter what QB is throwing him the ball, He'll still drop it... This pass week i was throwing stuff at the TV when he dropped the easy pass on second and 5 where he could've easily made the first down plus some... How many drops he have this year so far?

Not sure why you wish to mislead as he was a yard behind the line of scrimmage with a LB 2-3 steps away with no one in between them.

He would have probably caught that ball if Reggie hadn`t intercepted that TD pass Luck threw DHB`s way earlier. He was no doubt very frustrated by the time he had His drop. The 4th of the game for the TEAM (Bunch of Droppers) as I recall. IMO

DHB is an asset blocking downfield but he still has a lot to prove. It is up tp Pep to make him the primary target so Luck will throw it to him. Which Pep has done a fair amount of times.

He's a good blocker but inconsistent as a WR. For a guy that's 6'2 220 lbs with 4.25 speed DHB doesn't separate well from cb's. He's good when the defense is in zone because he's a good route runner but he struggles in man coverage. He's just a stop gap imo until Da'Rick Rogers develops or until we draft a WR.

He's a good blocker but inconsistent as a WR. For a guy that's 6'2 220 lbs with 4.25 speed DHB doesn't separate well from cb's. He's good when the defense is in zone because he's a good route runner but he struggles in man coverage. He's just a stop gap imo until Da'Rick Rogers develops or until we draft a WR.

Actually, other than his hands being a common criticism before coming to Indy, his mediocre route running was the other common criticism.  It's gotten better since he's been here, but I wouldn't say it's great or anything.

Glad you're not the gm. You must want all flash in a pan. Well guess what, as of now that's not his roll.

Nope, just know that he is no different then Donnie Avery last season.  He is a solid WR with holes, like poor hands and poor route running, in his game and that we still need to upgrade the second WR. DHB is a solid WR to have for depth, I thought it was a solid signing as we needed someone that could make some plays because finding another TY in the draft was probably not going to happen. He can come in be a solid contributor and then we can find someone to replace him just like we did with Avery.  

Ideally we can find someone through the draft that we can develop in our system from the get go and that has more consistent hands. I know he has been improved in that aspect so far, but all but one of his years in the league his drop percentage has been well above 10% so I imagine his drop rate will increase as the season goes on or he starts to get more balls thrown to him.

The thing that actually drives me nuts about DHB is not him as player it is how he is being used so far this season.  His biggest strength is his speed, but yet we do not send him deep that often.  If Bruce was here him and TY would be going deep a lot. So hopefully Pep can implement more deeper routes for the guy to stretch the field more.

Let's not forget, if Wayne doesn't step in front of that ball on the sideline at the ~3 yard line, DHB has several more yards and a touchdown against the Seahawks.  I think that pass was intended for DHB, and that's the impression I got from Reggie's reaction, too.

+1

VERY disappointed in DHB, say what you want about drop rates...  Freaking guy has GOT to get open first

I'm not disappointed in him, I think he's doing everything they're asking of him.  But I will agree that he isn't showing the ability to seperate.  That may have to do with the routes he's running.

Indra said it in the post above, he was the target on the ball Reggie caught.  They were both open, I'm not sure who ran the wrong route.  I can't believe that's a set play.

I'm not disappointed in him, I think he's doing everything they're asking of him.  But I will agree that he isn't showing the ability to seperate.  That may have to do with the routes he's running.

Indra said it in the post above, he was the target on the ball Reggie caught.  They were both open, I'm not sure who ran the wrong route.  I can't believe that's a set play.

I dont think so much that its the routes, its not like he is being asked to run a bunch of routes that Wayne or Hilton(whos already a better route runner then DHB not even 2 years in the league in my opinion) are not running or capable of running. I think its his lack of learning how to be deceptive in his routes, changing the speed of his cuts looking the corner of towards 1 route direction while ging another, That and for his size I would like some more physicality and power, Just my opinion of course

I dont think so much that its the routes, its not like he is being asked to run a bunch of routes that Wayne or Hilton(whos already a better route runner then DHB not even 2 years in the league in my opinion) are not running or capable of running. I think its his lack of learning how to be deceptive in his routes, changing the speed of his cuts looking the corner of towards 1 route direction while ging another, That and for his size I would like some more physicality and power, Just my opinion of course

You're probably right about his deceptiveness and cuts.  But I think he's been very physical.  They keep going to him on those short routes and he's been pounded several times, dishing out as much as he's getting.  He's not easy to bring down either.

I'd like to see him on more fly routes where he can use that speed.

Nope, just know that he is no different then Donnie Avery last season. He is a solid WR with holes, like poor hands and poor route running, in his game and that we still need to upgrade the second WR. DHB is a solid WR to have for depth, I thought it was a solid signing as we needed someone that could make some plays because finding another TY in the draft was probably not going to happen. He can come in be a solid contributor and then we can find someone to replace him just like we did with Avery.

Ideally we can find someone through the draft that we can develop in our system from the get go and that has more consistent hands. I know he has been improved in that aspect so far, but all but one of his years in the league his drop percentage has been well above 10% so I imagine his drop rate will increase as the season goes on or he starts to get more balls thrown to him.

The thing that actually drives me nuts about DHB is not him as player it is how he is being used so far this season. His biggest strength is his speed, but yet we do not send him deep that often. If Bruce was here him and TY would be going deep a lot. So hopefully Pep can implement more deeper routes for the guy to stretch the field more.

Sure he could and believe he is trying to improve his route running. One reason it's great to have Reggie around. He can learn how to be a pro's pro.

I don't think he is being use to the best of his abilities as of now. As far as stretching the field, etc. he hasn't been targeted as much as say Wayne. But either has Hilton. DHB had a great game against the niners. Hilton had a great game against the hawks. There's only one ball to go around. We know Wayne is going to get his, and running the priority. Hilton, DHB and Fleener will split the rest depending on match ups and so forth.

Point is, he is doing what is being asked of him. Being a good run blocker and making plays when thrown his way. His only rough game had been Seattle and it happens from time to time.

I think he is a good stop gap for the WR we will take in the 2nd round of next years draft.

I don't think Hey-Bey has had the chance to show his stuff because of the plays being called in the games so far.

The Colts could/should run a few more plays to take advantage of his speed/size...and not just the stupid bubble screens...some downfield stuff like TY gets...and TY WILL be getting more attention now.

He's been great. Tough getting yards after the catch, but it's not really a secret he isn't a big priority in the offensive scheme.

We also aren't passing like we were last year so his looks are at a premium.

People have been waiting all season for a game like Seattle so they could crush this guy. And people are vastly dramatizing how bad of a game it was.

Huge upgrade over Avery IMO.

he has been great?  0 td's in 5 games is great?

the what word do you use to describe wayne

I don't think Hey-Bey has had the chance to show his stuff because of the plays being called in the games so far.

The Colts could/should run a few more plays to take advantage of his speed/size...and not just the stupid bubble screens...some downfield stuff like TY gets...and TY WILL be getting more attention now.

TY "gets" those plays, because TY gets open. DHB is the 3rd to 4th option, hes not gunna be getting plays designed for him anytime soon. Especially with his inconsistency in getting open. Hes got all the opportunities in the world to make plays with TY, Reggie and Fleener moving coverage away from him. That being said im not surprised or disappointed with his performance so far this year. Not great stats, but he has heart, is willing to work, and just seems like the right kind of person to have in the locker room. But lets not expect 1000 yd seasons out of him, might happen...not likely however. He was cheap for a reason, lets not forget.

I do find it slightly amusing though how us fans seem get attached to the most random players despite production (or lack thereof), and then chase others out of town...for lack of production.

He didn't have a good game last week, other than that, I don't know what your talking about.

I love this signing so far, I see no reason why they wouldn't bring him back.

I could understand if its someone who doesn't watch the game and just looks at stats. Stats would make it look like he does very little and possibly can't catch a cold because of his reputation in Oakland....but we watch these games, don't we???

Superb.

But yeah I too enjoy breaking players contributions all down to one stat.

give me one stat where he is "great"

how he caught zero balls last week?

or his amazingly awesome fantastic 13 catches.  i just picked out 1 stat that says he is not great.  there are plenty others.  is him being on pace for something like 45 catches and 0 td's and 500 yards sound great to you?

or his amazingly awesome fantastic 13 catches.  i just picked out 1 stat that says he is not great.  there are plenty others.  is him being on pace for something like 45 catches and 0 td's and 500 yards sound great to you?

Your ignoring he's only dropped 1 or 2 passes. so why doesn't he get huge stats? Well then the only other reason is because he's not targeted that much and our offense doesn't pass the ball as much. The other issue is you probably take stats too literally, this isn't baseball, the stats only tell half the story in football.

or his amazingly awesome fantastic 13 catches. i just picked out 1 stat that says he is not great. there are plenty others. is him being on pace for something like 45 catches and 0 td's and 500 yards sound great to you?

Clearly your expectations for what he was coming in to do were much greater than mine. I want players who play hard, and do what they're asked to do. He's the 4th or 5th option on our offense.

He's not a focus, and we certainly aren't throwing it as much, but he's blocking excellently, and when he's got chances with the ball he's run hard and been extremely physical. He was our best WR in the Niners game. Should we have crushed TY for having 2 receptions, and 13 yards in that same game?

So I think he's doing great in his role, and he's going to continue having chances to shine in our offense. Whether he will remains to be seen, but if you expected him to be a 1000yrd 8 TD receiver your on something.

If Reggie Wayne hadn't cut him off he might have even had a touchdown against the Seahawks. I think all of the receivers will have their breakout game this year. We have a ton of weapons... and not everyone can be happy. Heck imaging if Dwayne Allen was in the lineup too. Less balls to go around.

Your ignoring he's only dropped 1 or 2 passes. so why doesn't he get huge stats? Well then the only other reason is because he's not targeted that much and our offense doesn't pass the ball as much. The other issue is you probably take stats too literally, this isn't baseball, the stats only tell half the story in football.

i am not ignoring that.  my point is, dhb has not been great.  anyone saying he is great has really low expectations of what the word great means