Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cant believe people are trashing Romo for the loss.

ReMeDy

The guy put up a record 500+ yds, 5 TD's, had the best performance of his career, the offense scored 48 pts, yet I read stuff like this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-judgements-another-oh-no-013400221--nfl.html

I'll tell you what the "mistakes" were... The Cowboys defense giving up 51 pts! You subtract one of those TD's, FG's, etc. and Romo all of a sudden becomes a hero. It's not like Peyton didn't throw an INT this game either. Peyton's INT just happened to occur earlier in the ball-game.

The life of a QB sucks.

I'm going to argue both sides.

The media needs someone to blame, and they need a story, and what's a bigger story than "Romo chokes again". Although it may sound a bit harsh, it's the truth. However, should they forget about what he did to get them there. No Romo, this game is probably 51-20. So, the fans/media need a scapegoat and he's it.

On the other hand...

The point of football is to win the game. You have to win the game and that intercepted costed them the game.

I agree that we should not discount his amazing performance, but then again he's the main reason they lost. I like Romo a lot, and I think he gets a lot of crap. Today, I don't know what to think. 

Romo played great but as always he last person to make a mistake gets the blame. Like mannings int versus ravens in playoffs.

I was just about to "like" one of your posts for perhaps the first time ever, when I got an "out of likes" message for the first time ever. : haha:

I'm going to argue both sides.

The media needs someone to blame, and they need a story, and what's a bigger story than "Romo chokes again". Although it may sound a bit harsh, it's the truth. However, should they forget about what he did to get them there. No Romo, this game is probably 51-20. So, the fans/media need a scapegoat and he's it.

On the other hand...

The point of football is to win the game. You have to win the game and that intercepted costed them the game.

I agree that we should not discount his amazing performance, but then again he's the main reason they lost. I like Romo a lot, and I think he gets a lot of crap. Today, I don't know what to think. 

I agree, aside from characterizing it as he being "the main reason that they lost".

I think the problem is partially that people LOVE to find a scapegoat - particularly one who people resent for some reason. Romo is polarizing. Some love him, the ones that hate him are a little too enthusiastic about seizing opportunities to dump on him. Happens to many players - such as Peyton.

The other problem is that people feel the need to make profound comments about games that they clearly didn't see. This is an issue with virtually EVERY talking head out there. I maintain that it's largely impossible to have a proper feel for a game unless you actually watch it, and it's physically impossible to watch every NFL game in it's entirety by Sunday evening. Frankly I doubt that any of them EVER watch all of them, and highlights are barely comprehensible and never accurately convey all the relevant information.

In short, they often have no idea what they are talking about. I watched that game, and all that Romo did was go toe to toe with the best offense in the league, racing out to an early lead, pulling back the game when it appeared to be on the verge of becoming a blowout, and taking the lead with only a few minutes remaining. The LAST thing that I would say about that performance was that he "lost" the game. He frankly had a better game than Peyton, and that's saying something.

I was just about to "like" one of your posts for perhaps the first time ever, when I got an "out of likes" message for the first time ever. : haha:

I agree, aside from characterizing it as he being "the main reason that they lost".

I think the problem is partially that people LOVE to find a scapegoat - particularly one who people resent for some reason. Romo is polarizing. Some love him, the ones that hate him are a little too enthusiastic about seizing opportunities to dump on him. Happens to many players - such as Peyton.

The other problem is that people feel the need to make profound comments about games that they clearly didn't see. This is an issue with virtually EVERY talking head out there. I maintain that it's largely impossible to have a proper feel for a game unless you actually watch it, and it's physically impossible to watch every NFL game in it's entirety by Sunday evening. Frankly I doubt that any of them EVER watch all of them, and highlights are barely comprehensible and never accurately convey all the relevant information.

In short, they often have no idea what they are talking about. I watched that game, and all that Romo did was go toe to toe with the best offense in the league, racing out to an early lead, pulling back the game when it appeared to be on the verge of becoming a blowout, and taking the lead with only a few minutes remaining. The LAST thing that I would say about that performance was that he "lost" the game. He frankly had a better game than Peyton, and that's saying something.

I think Romo deserves some criticism. Terrible decision on the pick. But like you said, he carried the team all game long. The defense got shredded. Can't blame Romo for the loss.

Had it not been for that INT, he would have had to drive into FG range to win. He could very well have come right up to the nfl record for passing yards. He was 48 yards short (48 to tie that is). I was texting with an old buddy of mine (life long Dallas fan) before that interception and he pretty much had already resigned himself to the fact that Romo was going to choke. Its this pattern than attracts much of the criticism; an almost predictable outcome.

My own opinion; I think Romo played a great game and the whole team did an admirable job of slugging it out with probably the best team in the NFL. Its jut unfortunate that this is going to be what he's remembered for.

The guy put up a record 500+ yds, 5 TD's, had the best performance of his career, the offense scored 48 pts, yet I read stuff like this:

I'll tell you what the "mistakes" were... The Cowboys defense giving up 51 pts! You subtract one of those TD's, FG's, etc. and Romo all of a sudden becomes a hero. It's not like Peyton didn't throw an INT this game either. Peyton's INT just happened to occur earlier in the ball-game.

The life of a QB sucks.

Huh? - I have stopped posting on the site & only read now because it seems to me the culture around football has changed.

Allow me to help keep this sport in its proper perspective.

Listen - T Romo is paid to win and/or be a major contributing factor in the success of the offense. Do not let that second part fool you - that just means win in a nicer way. 

There is not one QB that won (or especially lost) today that said "You know - i would have liked to throw for 500 yrds & 5 TD's like T Romo did." Stats are only important to those who dont play. 

I agree - QB can be tough sometimes - ask j freeman or m schaub - but more because winning is the only measurement that matters & it cant be done alone - ask T Romo or E Manning.

I still put it all on romo...Dallas and that D couldn't stop Peyton just like anyone else...if you are going to win D then you best outshoot them and Romo nearly did just that..but he flat out made a poor decision instead of checking it down to the RB and gaining something to live for another down.

I was hoping D would win just so ween broncos get to town they'd have had 1 loss and that would have played in favor of the colts IMO

All on ROMO...he had his chance

I think Romo deserves some criticism. Terrible decision on the pick. But like you said, he carried the team all game long. The defense got shredded. Can't blame Romo for the loss.

Agreed - I stated the same thing in a different thread - I just left it out of this one because it interfered with the flow of my argument. :)

I think about the play earlier in the game when by all rights he should have been sacked, but turned it into a big gain. If he had been sacked he would have been rightly ripped for not throwing it away. Great if it works, not so great if it doesn't.

Similarly on that final play he just seemed to be in "desperation make something happen" mode. If his body was set he probably gets that ball in there - but he wasn't and Trevathan made a great play.

The "terrible" part comes because he didn't have to be in that mode in that situation. The RB was right there waiting for the shorter gain. This was Brett Favre like - both the good and the bad. What I don't know if his other "failures" have been due to similar behavior. If so the only cure might be to make him a different kind of QB, and then maybe you fix the problem but lose what makes him effective as well.

Really don't get why people hate him. He is one of 3 QB's who is above 70% completion with over 50 passes attempted. He has over a 100 pass rating. He has only had 2 INT's. Only really bad/big difference he has in comparison to someone like Manning who is considered to be the quarter season mvp is the fact he has been sacked a hell of a lot more (well maybe a few less TD's as well).

I think he has honestly had a pro bowl performance and at this stage i would be very surprised if he didn't get in. 

They hate him because the quarterback is the easiest to blame at the end of the day. The excuses for his horrible defense in this thread are absolutely laughable. I'm sure if it was Manning throwing the pick to seal it, they would be defending him rather than pinning the whole loss on him. Fact is, no quarterback currently in the league gets the blame for more of his team's losses than Romo. No matter how good he plays, if he has one turnover he's the scapegoat at the end of the day.

Romo can't help his defense gave up 50 points. He absolutely shredded and exposed the Denver defense for who they really are, and the guy gets scapegoated for playing wonderfully. He didn't have to even throw it 40-50 times to reach 500, that's what is the most impressive part of it.

I never understood why people hate him to begin with. He blows some games here and there but so has all good quarterbacks currently in the league. With his terrible management and Jerry Jones running the team, I'm surprised he's had the success he has had under him.

They hate him because the quarterback is the easiest to blame at the end of the day. The excuses for his horrible defense in this thread are absolutely laughable. I'm sure if it was Manning throwing the pick to seal it, they would be defending him rather than pinning the whole loss on him. Fact is, no quarterback currently in the league gets the blame for more of his team's losses than Romo. No matter how good he plays, if he has one turnover he's the scapegoat at the end of the day.

Romo can't help his defense gave up 50 points. He absolutely shredded and exposed the Denver defense for who they really are, and the guy gets scapegoated for playing wonderfully. He didn't have to even throw it 40-50 times to reach 500, that's what is the most impressive part of it.

I never understood why people hate him to begin with. He blows some games here and there but so has all good quarterbacks currently in the league. With his terrible management and Jerry Jones running the team, I'm surprised he's had the success he has had under him.

I agree Bogie..but, one could argue that every defense the Bronco's have played are terrible, if you look at the number of points put up each game by Peyton and his Pals..The difference really in this game is that Denver's Defense was nearly as bad as the Cowboys was...you give up 48 points in a game you deserve to lose...And looking at the scores..Denver's Defense isn't as good as their record indicates...Add to the fact that most of the games, Denver's opponents are so far down, they have to abandon the run, allowing more chances for Denver to keep the offense on the field..

• 1 Sep 5 WIN ravens.png Ravens 27 Broncos 49
  • 2 Sep 15 WIN AT giants.png Broncos 41 Giants 23
  • 3 Sep 23 WIN raiders.png Raiders 21 Broncos 37
  • 4 Sep 29 WIN eagles.png Eagles 20 Broncos 52
  • 5 Oct 6 WIN AT cowboys.png Broncos 51 Cowboys 48
Also, one needs to take into account they haven't played what people would call and "elite" defense...AKA, Seattle, San Fran...yet the Colts won 27-7 over the Niners in SF< and scored 34 points against the top defense in the league in Seattle.

Even the 5-0 Saints, with their prolific Offense, haven't been scoring at that clip like the Broncos..but..one can argue that the defenses the Saints have played against are much better than the ones Denver has faced so far..

1 Sun Sep 8, 2013 Falcons W 23-17 1-0 72,348 2 Sun Sep 15, 2013 @Buccaneers W 16-14 2-0 60,870 3 Sun Sep 22, 2013 Cardinals W 31-7 3-0 73,057 4 Mon Sep 30, 2013 Dolphins W 38-17 4-0 73,118 5 Sun Oct 6, 2013 @Bears W 26-18 5-0 62,361

I'm not knocking the Broncos, Saints or whatever..Those are 2 teams that are fully loaded, with Super elite QB's...that can make any defense look bad..Romo played an awesome game..he made one mistake late in the game, and that's all they'll remember about it..which personally, is sad..

I agree Bogie..but, one could argue that every defense the Bronco's have played are terrible, if you look at the number of points put up each game by Peyton and his Pals..The difference really in this game is that Denver's Defense was nearly as bad as the Cowboys was...you give up 48 points in a game you deserve to lose...And looking at the scores..Denver's Defense isn't as good as their record indicates...Add to the fact that most of the games, Denver's opponents are so far down, they have to abandon the run, allowing more chances for Denver to keep the offense on the field..

• 1 Sep 5 WIN ravens.png Ravens 27 Broncos 49
  • 2 Sep 15 WIN AT giants.png Broncos 41 Giants 23
  • 3 Sep 23 WIN raiders.png Raiders 21 Broncos 37
  • 4 Sep 29 WIN eagles.png Eagles 20 Broncos 52
  • 5 Oct 6 WIN AT cowboys.png Broncos 51 Cowboys 48
Also, one needs to take into account they haven't played what people would call and "elite" defense...AKA, Seattle, San Fran...yet the Colts won 27-7 over the Niners in SF< and scored 34 points against the top defense in the league in Seattle.

Even the 5-0 Saints, with their prolific Offense, haven't been scoring at that clip like the Broncos..but..one can argue that the defenses the Saints have played against are much better than the ones Denver has faced so far..

1 Sun Sep 8, 2013 Falcons W 23-17 1-0 72,348 2 Sun Sep 15, 2013 @Buccaneers W 16-14 2-0 60,870 3 Sun Sep 22, 2013 Cardinals W 31-7 3-0 73,057 4 Mon Sep 30, 2013 Dolphins W 38-17 4-0 73,118 5 Sun Oct 6, 2013 @Bears W 26-18 5-0 62,361

I'm not knocking the Broncos, Saints or whatever..Those are 2 teams that are fully loaded, with Super elite QB's...that can make any defense look bad..Romo played an awesome game..he made one mistake late in the game, and that's all they'll remember about it..which personally, is sad..

Seems to always happen to the best games. 40 year old Favre gets banged up and still shredded us to pieces in the playoffs. He's remembered for the pick more than anything. Romo has had his fair share, sadly. Feels like every time he has a masterpiece game the chip in the plate occurs at the end.

This is right on, and exactly what I have been saying all along. Denver has not played any real teams yet. Same story as last year, except they played some 'great' teams and lost. They look awesome playing cupcakes but so did the Pack attack back in 2011. They went 15-1 on a weak schedule playing terrible defenses while their offense broke records.

You can't win it all with your offense, I should know that after watching the Saints defense blow it all in 2011. Packers fans should know this too from that same season. 15-1 and no defense wasn't enough for them against a 9-7 team. No matter how many records those offenses broke that season, it didn't matter in the end when the defense forgot how to properly tackle someone and proceeded to make Alex Smith turn into Steve Young in the playoffs and the Giants look like a top offense. There were a lot of games that season I felt we would have lost without our offense, since the D couldn't stop anyone when they got the ball rolling. Sadly this is what is probably going to happen with the current Saints defense too. They showed their true colors yesterday giving up more yards than our offense gained. We are playing a far tougher schedule though than Denver has who are benefiting greatly from the cake walk they have been given. But still, I'm not letting our own defense go. Yesterday worried me, they can't get out there and do that against New England on the road.

Saints offense really don't worry me. As much flak they get for running up scores, they really haven't done it yet this season. I mean if you want to complain about them doing it, then Denver does not get a free pass when they clearly are pushing it. The Saints could have ran it up to 45 on the Dolphins but stopped (and should have been 41 if Hartley makes that kick). The Cardinals game was another one, they could have ran it up to 50 on them as well as they played late in the game but stopped. What worries me is the defense. They seem to play a million times better when Vilma, Harper, and Robinson are injured, I truly think this is what is slowing us down. Harper should have been gone after 2010 anyway, here's to praying they keep him on the bench when he comes back.

Who was expecting a defensive battle in this game? I sure wasn't. I have been saying all season that the Denver defense is not nearly good enough to make a playoff run this year and they proved it in spades yesterday. I am not sure Romo played great as his receivers were open by 5-10 yards on every play. On some plays more than one receiver was wide open. His line protected beautifully against a terrible defensive front. It was basically a game of pitch and catch until that final two minutes.

On the flip, I was not expecting the Dallas D to keep Manning to under 40. Not the way he and his O has been playing.

What I didn't expect was Manning to throw that terrible pick which allowed Dallas to close in a two score lead and make it a game in the fourth. I also did not expect him to get held to two FGs late that allowed Dallas to take a 7 point lead.

So with two minutes to go and all his time outs and the game tied, Romo had the game right where he wanted it and every Dallas fan too. Game tied against this explosive Denver offense and going against a defense he shredded all game. What does he do? Steps back makes a terrible decision and a terrible throw that cost them the game. Of course Romo deserves the blame. This is why you play the game as a kid growing up. To have that chance at the end to win the game. And he was at home to boot. I wonder if the fact that he has failed so many times in big games late is playing with him psychologically. If he had closed the deal, everyone would have been talking about Manning's pick but instead it is on Romo.

Well I have a question if Romo can't be blamed for that loss why does Peyton get the blame for the loss to the Ravens in the playoffs last year. :scratch:  Both were lost due to a bad decision and a pick. :dunno:

I watched the last part of the game. Romo played the game of his life, but because Dallas still lost, the media is criticizing Romo. However, the interception that cost them the game was more of a great play by a defender than a bad throw by Romo. The guy was open at first, but the defense just happened to be there at the last minute. Manning threw an interception, but no one is criticizing him. (Maybe because Denver won.)

I have to back up Romo on this one. The game shouldn't have to depend only on him.If Dallas had won, I wonder if the media would still find something to criticize. Romo just can't get a break. I'm glad I'm not a Cowboy fan right now.

I was stunned with all of those amazing throws, so accurate and money.

He answered every scoring drive by the Bronocs...Romo ran out of time and threw the pick at the worst time ever.

Russell Wilson did the same yesterday.  I think Romo is disliked because of the Uniform he wears.

Good day in Football

Dallas Lose - Manning Wins

Seahawks lose - Colts win

49ers win

Happy Wife....Happy Life...

I was stunned with all of those amazing throws, so accurate and money.

He answered every scoring drive by the Bronocs...Romo ran out of time and threw the pick at the worst time ever.

Russell Wilson did the same yesterday.  I think Romo is disliked because of the Uniform he wears.

Good day in Football

Dallas Lose - Manning Wins

Seahawks lose - Colts win

49ers win

Happy Wife....Happy Life...

You forgot one-- The Patriots kicked 2 field goals!  :number1:

So with two minutes to go and all his time outs and the game tied, Romo had the game right where he wanted it and every Dallas fan too. Game tied against this explosive Denver offense and going against a defense he shredded all game. What does he do? Steps back makes a terrible decision and a terrible throw that cost them the game. Of course Romo deserves the blame. This is why you play the game as a kid growing up. To have that chance at the end to win the game. And he was at home to boot. I wonder if the fact that he has failed so many times in big games late is playing with him psychologically. If he had closed the deal, everyone would have been talking about Manning's pick but instead it is on Romo.

You play the game whether it is football, or baseball, etc... because you love it. Then you go out there, and play to the best of you ability. Hoping it is good enough, but victory is never certain.

Well I have a question if Romo can't be blamed for that loss why does Peyton get the blame for the loss to the Ravens in the playoffs last year. :scratch:  Both were lost due to a bad decision and a pick. :dunno:

Same reason: It fits the predetermined narrative.

I think Manning is more deserving of blame in the Ravens game than Romo is in yesterday's game. He threw two picks and lost a fumble, and the offense stalled out a few times. Of course, it was in tough weather and against a defense playing much better than the Broncos played yesterday. 

Manning had 3 turnovers and was spotted 14 pts from the ST. Romo carried the team on his back. I think a better comparison is Manning 2010 vs. the Jets. He did everything right that game and the Colts lost because of Caldwell's TO blunder and poor defense/ST in the last minute. There are people who thought Manning was at fault (clearly wasn't).

You play the game whether it is football, or baseball, etc... because you love it. Then you go out there, and play to the best of you ability. Hoping it is good enough, but victory is never certain.

Yes of course but at the pro level it is all about winning. I am sure the criticism is not a suprise to Romo this morning.

Romo played a part with the INT but he's not the sole reason, if at all, he's the reason why they were in the game.  I blame the coach.  I don't know why he wanted to shoot it out with Peyton. He had the lead and the ball, why not milk the clock?  Instead, they kept giving the ball back to Peyton. smh

The life of a QB sucks.

But Manning takes the heat for the 38-35 OT loss to Baltimore..

He 'choked again' right?

Brady folded against Cincy Sunday....not what he used to be..

Eli's 2 Super Bowl rings...so what? He lower than dirt now.

That's the life of a QB...

You think Jay Cutler cares what media says? with millions in the bank and a hot babe wife?

Yes of course but at the pro level it is all about winning. I am sure the criticism is not a suprise to Romo this morning.

I find it to be the same at all levels... and it's all about the love of the game. Wins make it a lot more fun, but you take the hand dealt to you. Especially in a team game like football.

In this case there is no doubt Romo had all the chips then made a bad read, and lost 'em all.

I can't fault Romo too much. His defense let him down. If they could have gotten a couple more stops they win that game. That is a team win/loss. Everyone takes blame but he played very very well. When you have THAT MUCH PRESSURE to score on EVERY drive to just stay with a team or win....thats more pressure than almost ANY qb can endure. Even Peyton was feeling the pressure that game. He forced a deep ball because he knew he had to score every possession. First time he made a bad pass all year because ROMO was putting the pressure...not his defense. That was an INT forced by the OFFENSE...not Dallas defense. The last mistake was exactly the same....Peyton and the offense forced Tony to press...and then that was a great defensive play....Peytons was a forced throw with no one to blame but himself.

I don't see that anyone has mentioned that Romo had a very easy check down throw on that play. I'm assuming the RB was Murray and he was right in Romo's  line of sight when he threw that int.

My gosh .. just a horrible play by Romo as it looked like Murray had a pretty open field to run in. Plus it was only 2nd down. 

The life of a QB sucks.

Bottom line is if you want to make excuses go ahead :thmup:  With a couple of minutes left the Cowboys just needed Romo to finish out a great game I thought they were gonna win I was pulling for the dude but he failed miserably with that interception :applause: 

As a person who detests the Dallas Cowboys, I absolutely loved this unraveling. It was fantastic! Did Tony Romo play the game of his life? That's not the question: Did an established QB who is handsomely paid to seal the deal cross the finish & win a game that he should have won? Nope. This is why Dallas frustrates me. They get a ton of accolades in the media for doing absolutely nothing. 1995 was their last SuperBowl. 

I don't give a crap if he did tripped over a linemen. Do you Peyton Manning would be allowed to use that excuse if he failed on Sunday? Not in a million year. If Dallas had won this game, I might have even stated that they turned a corner, but not now. Nothing but bloated hype. Yes, they have talent, but they always fall short because they falsely believe they are relevant in 2013. I loved this today:

http://youtu.be/OrEkKH-HLF4

I could watch this over & over & over again...LOL!