Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'rick Rogers activated from PS

HtownColt

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody think he potentially is better than what we have?

Just asking.

Does anybody think he potentially is better than what we have?

Just asking.

He's got much better potential than Whalen. Not that i think Whalen is bad.

We are getting major talent upgrades with the addition of Rogers to the active roster.  Then whoever we play after the 49ers game we will be getting Lavon Brazil back after that game. I'm not totally sure how everything shakes up as far as who will be here and who won't, but I think our best wr group as far as talent is concerned is:

Reggie Wayne

DHB

T. Y. Hilton

Lavon Brazil

Darick Rogers

I think Whalen is good but I have no idea if we would keep that many on the active roster, or would Whalen be put on the practice squad if not. I'm just not sure. I think the above in terms of potential is a very very solid and explosive receiving corps.

The most bizarre game ever. Seriously. That we almost won that game is mind boggling to me. And then Mr. Clutch, Adam Vinatieri, clangs what basically amounted to an extra point. 

I think there was some kind of weird planetary alignment going on that night. Just crazy.

Yeah I was at that game and jumped up in the air cause I thought it was good.  We always had crazy games against San Diego...

Here's hoping that Da'Rick has 200yds and 3tds against SF (he won't) and then Grigson trades him to Cleveland next week for our first round pick back.

Actually I would rather have their first rd pick lol...but yeah...i'm not putting much into this other than we are thin in our receiving core especially with DHB hurt as well and he is a big body that can help block on the outside hopefully and run some simple routes...no way he can make much a difference with so little time with our playbook.

The following is his CBS Sport Draft Profile.  What they have to say would explain all the excitement some people have about him.  Personally I don't know much about him, but based on the talent evaluations, if he gets his head on straight, he sounds like somebody that could really be a diamond in the rough.  I for one am rooting for the young lad.

CBS Sports:

LATEST NEWS
04/30/2013 - Bills agree to terms with 16 Undrafteds...WR Da'Rick Rogers - 6'3" 217 - Tennessee Tech...A polished receiver, Rogers has 4.5 speed and posted a 39 1/2-inch vertical leap and 11-foot broad jump at the Combine. Led the SEC in receiving at Tennessee with 1,040 yards, before off the field issues got him kicked off the Volunteers squad. Finished his career at Tennessee Tech. "He's got it all. His body type is a lot like Eric Moulds. It's all there," Roth said. "The off the field stuff that happened is why he was undrafted. Out of him, Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson, he's the most NFL ready in my opinion in terms of route running, balls skills and everything. He can come in and he won't be behind in terms of coaching and all that stuff." - Chris Brown, BuffaloBills.com

Overview
Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.

He signed with Tennessee as one of the most highly regarded prep prospects in the entire country, and immediately showed off his versatility, racking up 167 yards as a receiver and 117 yards as a runner (reverses, etc.).

Rogers was expected to serve as the complementary piece to Justin Hunter in 2011, but stepped up once his teammate was injured and went on to lead the SEC with 1,040 receiving yards in 2011. He eclipsed the 100-yard mark in six games, one short of a Tennessee record, and earned First Team All-SEC honors by the media and league coaches.

While there are plenty of traits about Rogers scouts will love, one they must be concerned about is Rogers' accountability on and off the field. For violating team rules, Rogers was suspended indefinitely by Tennessee coach Derek Dooley on Aug. 23 and ultimately transferred to Tennessee Tech.

"We're excited to have him and look forward to working with him," Tech coach Watson Brown said Aug. 27. "It's a unique situation for me, but we know he's a good kid. He knows a couple of the players on our team, and we know his high school coach, and we're going on their recommendations.

"After meeting with Da'Rick and his family, I can see what everybody is saying about him," Brown added. "We've met with Da'Rick and he understands our expectations."

Rogers played in all 11 games for Tennessee Tech in 2012, and was the man among boys he was expected to be, leading the team with 61 catches for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns. No one else on the roster had more than 28 receptions, and Rogers put up his staggering numbers despite every opponent game-planning to contain him.

Character red-flags galore, but undeniably an elite talent.

Analysis
Strengths: Despite playing in the ultra-physical SEC, Rogers proved too strong for most teams to consider pressing. He's also versatile, showing the ability to line up outside, as well as in the slot. While it is easy to get excited about Rogers' size-speed potential, one of his greatest attributes is simply his toughness, as he absorbed several big collisions on games viewed and never dropped a pass due to a hit while at Tennessee. Rogers is a powerful runner who fights for additional yardage and has the agility and speed to run away from the pack for explosive plays.

Weaknesses: Generally a reliable pass catcher, but will occasionally look to juke the defender before securing the pass, resulting in an occasional bad drop. Until he cleans up the conception that he's a troublemaker, it may not matter how talented Rogers is, NFL teams will be too concerned to give him the first-round grade his talent deserves.

From Wikipedia:

College career[edit source | editbeta]

As a true freshman in 2010, Rogers played in all 13 games for the Vols. He finished the season with 11 receptions for 167 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 117 rushing yards on 16 attempts, and returned 12 kickoffs for 298 yards.[13] On August 23, 2012, it was announced that Da'Rick Rogers had been suspended from the Tennessee Volunteers indefinitely for a violation of team rules, though no specific reason was publicly announced.[15]

After his suspension at Tennessee, Rogers transferred to Tennessee Tech.[17] In his lone season at Tennessee Tech, he caught 61 passes for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns.[15] Following the 2012 season, Rogers was awarded the "Elite Wide Receiver Award" by the College Football Performance Awards for his efforts in the 2011 and 2012 seasons.[18]

At the 2013 NFL Combine, Rogers turned out one of the best overall performances, finishing in the top five in several categories, including the 3 cone drill, the 20-yard shuttle, the 60-yard shuttle, the vertical jump, and the broad jump.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The following is his CBS Sport Draft Profile.  What they have to say would explain all the excitement some people have about him.  Personally I don't know much about him, but based on the talent evaluations, if he gets his head on straight, he sounds like somebody that could really be a diamond in the rough.  I for one am rooting for the young lad.

CBS Sports:

LATEST NEWS
04/30/2013 - Bills agree to terms with 16 Undrafteds...WR Da'Rick Rogers - 6'3" 217 - Tennessee Tech...A polished receiver, Rogers has 4.5 speed and posted a 39 1/2-inch vertical leap and 11-foot broad jump at the Combine. Led the SEC in receiving at Tennessee with 1,040 yards, before off the field issues got him kicked off the Volunteers squad. Finished his career at Tennessee Tech. "He's got it all. His body type is a lot like Eric Moulds. It's all there," Roth said. "The off the field stuff that happened is why he was undrafted. Out of him, Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson, he's the most NFL ready in my opinion in terms of route running, balls skills and everything. He can come in and he won't be behind in terms of coaching and all that stuff." - Chris Brown, BuffaloBills.com

Overview
Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.

He signed with Tennessee as one of the most highly regarded prep prospects in the entire country, and immediately showed off his versatility, racking up 167 yards as a receiver and 117 yards as a runner (reverses, etc.).

Rogers was expected to serve as the complementary piece to Justin Hunter in 2011, but stepped up once his teammate was injured and went on to lead the SEC with 1,040 receiving yards in 2011. He eclipsed the 100-yard mark in six games, one short of a Tennessee record, and earned First Team All-SEC honors by the media and league coaches.

While there are plenty of traits about Rogers scouts will love, one they must be concerned about is Rogers' accountability on and off the field. For violating team rules, Rogers was suspended indefinitely by Tennessee coach Derek Dooley on Aug. 23 and ultimately transferred to Tennessee Tech.

"We're excited to have him and look forward to working with him," Tech coach Watson Brown said Aug. 27. "It's a unique situation for me, but we know he's a good kid. He knows a couple of the players on our team, and we know his high school coach, and we're going on their recommendations.

"After meeting with Da'Rick and his family, I can see what everybody is saying about him," Brown added. "We've met with Da'Rick and he understands our expectations."

Rogers played in all 11 games for Tennessee Tech in 2012, and was the man among boys he was expected to be, leading the team with 61 catches for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns. No one else on the roster had more than 28 receptions, and Rogers put up his staggering numbers despite every opponent game-planning to contain him.

Character red-flags galore, but undeniably an elite talent.

Analysis
Strengths: Despite playing in the ultra-physical SEC, Rogers proved too strong for most teams to consider pressing. He's also versatile, showing the ability to line up outside, as well as in the slot. While it is easy to get excited about Rogers' size-speed potential, one of his greatest attributes is simply his toughness, as he absorbed several big collisions on games viewed and never dropped a pass due to a hit while at Tennessee. Rogers is a powerful runner who fights for additional yardage and has the agility and speed to run away from the pack for explosive plays.

Weaknesses: Generally a reliable pass catcher, but will occasionally look to juke the defender before securing the pass, resulting in an occasional bad drop. Until he cleans up the conception that he's a troublemaker, it may not matter how talented Rogers is, NFL teams will be too concerned to give him the first-round grade his talent deserves.

From Wikipedia:

College career[edit source | editbeta]

As a true freshman in 2010, Rogers played in all 13 games for the Vols. He finished the season with 11 receptions for 167 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 117 rushing yards on 16 attempts, and returned 12 kickoffs for 298 yards.[13] On August 23, 2012, it was announced that Da'Rick Rogers had been suspended from the Tennessee Volunteers indefinitely for a violation of team rules, though no specific reason was publicly announced.[15]

After his suspension at Tennessee, Rogers transferred to Tennessee Tech.[17] In his lone season at Tennessee Tech, he caught 61 passes for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns.[15] Following the 2012 season, Rogers was awarded the "Elite Wide Receiver Award" by the College Football Performance Awards for his efforts in the 2011 and 2012 seasons.[18]

At the 2013 NFL Combine, Rogers turned out one of the best overall performances, finishing in the top five in several categories, including the 3 cone drill, the 20-yard shuttle, the 60-yard shuttle, the vertical jump, and the broad jump.

Da'Rick couldn't have landed in a better place than Indy.  If any coaching staff can get him to flip the light switch on it's Pagano and co.  We are also looking for a true number one to replace Reggie, not saying he is the guy, but we need to give him a shot to see if he can be that guy.  Let Reggie groom him and see what we get.

He's got much better potential than Whalen. Not that i think Whalen is bad.

We are getting major talent upgrades with the addition of Rogers to the active roster. Then whoever we play after the 49ers game we will be getting Lavon Brazil back after that game. I'm not totally sure how everything shakes up as far as who will be here and who won't, but I think our best wr group as far as talent is concerned is:

Reggie Wayne

DHB

T. Y. Hilton

Lavon Brazil

Darick Rogers

I think Whalen is good but I have no idea if we would keep that many on the active roster, or would Whalen be put on the practice squad if not. I'm just not sure. I think the above in terms of potential is a very very solid and explosive receiving corps.

Jaguars are after the 49ers. Then Seattle comes to town for Lavon's season debut

Rodgers would be in dhb role. He plays just like him with better hands. He's very tough and makes highlight reel catches

yeah but he also has issues in wanting to run and juke the defender before he catches the ball which results in a bad drop. let's just hope we dont have to count on him for a drive extending catch in the final minutes.....that is unless he has worked that kink out. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

isn't Rogers one of the kids who trashed a Indianapolis hotel room at the end of the combine? may be wrong. and when did we get this kid anyway? i missed something 

We signed him to PS after the cuts.  The Bills cut him.  I think there were 2 players involved in the hotel room thing, DeAndre Hopkins  and Mark Harrison I believe, so no Da'Rick had nothing to do with that.

isn't Rogers one of the kids who trashed a Indianapolis hotel room at the end of the combine? may be wrong. and when did we get this kid anyway? i missed something 

No, the hotel room that was trashed, DeAndre Hopkins and Justin Hunters room. I never heard Rodgers' name come up in that situation.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm trying to imagine a group of receivers on the field at the same time with names like Wayne, TY Hilton, Rogers, Heyward-Bey, and Brazill.

If Rogers really impresses, then Brazill might become trade bait.

Guest TeamLoloJones

i don't think teams will be knocking down the door to get brazil.

yeah, but if he was part of a package deal...you never know, Grigson has managed some crazy deals so far...

Here's hoping that Da'Rick has 200yds and 3tds against SF (he won't) and then Grigson trades him to Cleveland next week for our first round pick back.

You probably have to be active before you can do that.  I'll be surprised if he is on Sunday.

But I love the trade idea!

yeah, but if he was part of a package deal...you never know, Grigson has managed some crazy deals so far...

Ehh maybe a 7th at best and probably only in the offseason.  I think he has the speed to stretch the field, so teams might be interested enough in that aspect alone to give up a conditional 7th for him.  

But I think that's about all he has at the NFL level and he has the drug suspension.  

I suppose we could maybe trade him for depth at another position.