Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Wow

Shepman

We had the best run games over the last two games than we have had in years. Our Special Teams look much improved. The defense actually gets sacks, fumbles, interceptions,swats and hits that force drops. We have 3 Offensive starters out and 1 defensive starter out and everyone should be fired? Would have worked out real well last week firing Fleener.

I certainly feel there are many things to work on as a team including play calling on offense and defense and risk management. There is no way these things justify firing people. So every time in the past these things happened at a worse level over and over we should have fired Manning and Dungy and his staff? Should all other teams do the same when we tear them up, heck Green Bay should have cut ties with everyone last year including probably the leagues best quarterback.

Don't get me wrong, I hate this loss and my preseason expectations of this teams have not even closely been met on Defense. Here's to looking forward to a fun and exciting season and many more to come. I hope we show up next Sunday ready to play hard and smart for 60 minutes.

It's really inexcusable to lose at home to Miami.  Tannelhill is only in his 2nd year, cannot compare to Luck, and has only a few compliments.  We were out-coached, out-played, out-hustled (reggie's laziness), and out muscled.  There is no denying any of that at least IMO.  I want to know what Jim Irsay is going to do about it.

There was a fire Ron Meeks thread and trade Peyton Manning thread anytime we lost up till we won the Super Bowl then the trade Peyton threads stopped but the trade Ron Meeks threads stayed till they became Fire Jim Caldwell and Fire Bill Polian threads anytime we lost. It's what fans do. It doesn't make them any less silly but just like any fanbase has players they ride and can do no right no matter what they complain about coaches too. Fans are emotional and very short sited for the most part. That's why we don't get a say in how the team is run and that's a good thing.

There was a fire Ron Meeks thread and trade Peyton Manning thread anytime we lost up till we won the Super Bowl then the trade Peyton threads stopped but the trade Ron Meeks threads stayed till they became Fire Jim Caldwell and Fire Bill Polian threads anytime we lost. It's what fans do. It doesn't make them any less silly but just like any fanbase has players they ride and can do no right no matter what they complain about coaches too. Fans are emotional and very short sited for the most part. That's why we don't get a say in how the team is run and that's a good thing.

Well stated!  That is why 'fan' derives from 'fanatic.'  :)

ddb4ba5d427031c890754811b0683952.jpg

And eventually Ron Meeks was fired and Peyton Manning was cut. They weren't let go by the fans, they were let go by the team's management, and they had their reasons (good or bad). Yes, fans can be emotional. That said, sometimes they can be right, too.

And eventually Ron Meeks was fired and Peyton Manning was cut. They weren't let go by the fans, they were let go by the team's management, and they had their reasons (good or bad). Yes, fans can be emotional. That said, sometimes they can be right, too.

That's almost falling under "even a blind squirrel finds a nut."  It's the NFL.  People get fired all the time.  Great QBs change teams at the end of their career (Montana, Unitas).  People were calling for Peyton's departure before the Superbowl victory.  Without him, no Lombardi trophy.  

I was able to watch the NFL rewind version of the game yesterday.  I was really hoping we wouldn't be the In_y Colts this year. There's still time, but goodness I hope we improve.  It also wasn't Andrew's best game by any stretch of the imagination (although his 3rd and 12 run in the fourth after he brushed off Dion Jordan was my favorite play).  I don't know if he's over thinking, or if he knows the playbook so well that he knows where to throw it but the guys aren't there...I don't know.  The INT was inexcusable.  I'm hoping as the guys learn the playbook that the offensive tempo picks up.  Our O is pretty darn good, and could be that much better if we keep putting the opposing D on its heels.  

Oh and don't forget if you lose 2 in a row that all doubles:)

finicky aren't they;)

and everyone is scrambling to revise their final finish when before a prediction of say 10-6 means 6 losses. Ok. you've have 1 loss now. :)

That's almost falling under "even a blind squirrel finds a nut." It's the NFL. People get fired all the time. Great QBs change teams at the end of their career (Montana, Unitas). People were calling for Peyton's departure before the Superbowl victory. Without him, no Lombardi trophy.

I was able to watch the NFL rewind version of the game yesterday. I was really hoping we wouldn't be the In_y Colts this year. There's still time, but goodness I hope we improve. It also wasn't Andrew's best game by any stretch of the imagination (although his 3rd and 12 run in the fourth after he brushed off Dion Jordan was my favorite play). I don't know if he's over thinking, or if he knows the playbook so well that he knows where to throw it but the guys aren't there...I don't know. The INT was inexcusable. I'm hoping as the guys learn the playbook that the offensive tempo picks up. Our O is pretty darn good, and could be that much better if we keep putting the opposing D on its heels.

IMO He knows the playbook too well compared to the rest of the team. I remember he was kind of in hurry up mode towards the end of the game but the rest of the offense didn't really seem to know what was going on. From my perspective it looked like some where lost.

It's really inexcusable to lose at home to Miami. Tannelhill is only in his 2nd year, cannot compare to Luck, and has only a few compliments. We were out-coached, out-played, out-hustled (reggie's laziness), and out muscled. There is no denying any of that at least IMO. I want to know what Jim Irsay is going to do about it.

relax... irsay isn't going too do anything if he is smart... he will let the team get better

To be fair, the Ron Meeks threads were warranted

:td:

We need to get over the Manning and Meeks thing. No way letting Peyton go was a bad thing for the team, the fact he is still playing is a miracle, one two more years at most. I'll take my chances for the next 10-12 years with luck. Give Pep a chance for god's sake.....it's been two games.

We need to get over the Manning and Meeks thing. No way letting Peyton go was a bad thing for the team, the fact he is still playing is a miracle, one two more years at most. I'll take my chances for the next 10-12 years with luck. Give Pep a chance for god's sake.....it's been two games.

nonsense, let panic and irrational thought rule the day!!!

I feel less worried about barely losing to Miami than I do beating Oakland by the skin of our teeth. Miami is an above average team with a below average QB. Oakland is just plain bad.

In the end, the main problem with both games was, and will continue to be,  the blocking of our line/TE's/RB's.  

Our special teams were better as of last season. The defense has spurts where it plays well, but is largely unreliable. Nothing new, there.

I feel less worried about barely losing to Miami than I do beating Oakland by the skin of our teeth. Miami is an above average team with a below average QB. Oakland is just plain bad.

In the end, the main problem with both games was, and will continue to be,  the blocking of our line/TE's/RB's.  

Our special teams were better as of last season. The defense has spurts where it plays well, but is largely unreliable. Nothing new, there.

Yes, you would be on the money here. I think the reason so many are disappointed is that we have played 2 "mediocre at best" teams and the defense has still allowed 4.5 ypc and made Tannehill look like he's matured sevenfold since last year (very doubtful he has done that). The defense definitely needs to come up with more stops and the offense needs to sustain more drives. I actually can't believe I think we should run the ball more. We are averaging 5.0 ypc and Bradshaw looked solid yesterday. And when you factor in Luck  is on pace to be sacked 56 times this year, we may need to pound the ground more. Once again, I can't believe I said that, but it looks like it now, especially with less than expected defensive results.

Well, I said fire Bill Polian every week, win, lose or tie....

IMO He knows the playbook too well compared to the rest of the team. I remember he was kind of in hurry up mode towards the end of the game but the rest of the offense didn't really seem to know what was going on. From my perspective it looked like some where lost.

I agree with ya.  I like that he has taken control of the offense, but I really don't want him telling the WR's what route to run on every other play.  I recall a clip from last year that said as the year progressed and as the guys got more comfortable with Arians's offense, they were able to pick up the pace.  I hope that holds true to this year too.

Like I saidn we've improved on defense stat wise since we only had like 6 turnovers last season or something like that.

We have all the right pieces, just gotta find the endzone more and oline has to improve. Gotta pull their weight as well

Run defense is just as bad as ever. If that doesn't improve notably, we will be disappointed more often than not.  Next 4 games will pretty much set the tone, in all of our areas of improvement.

And eventually no present Colt will remain on the roster. Bet on it!

This needs to be fixed ASAP, IMHO. Not being able to run a hurry up and pick on mismatches all the way down the field to get a score is discouraging. Especially in tight games in the 4th quarter. Waiting for Pep to get the next call in as teams keep rotating personnel and huddling up like it is the second quarter is frustrating.  Until the team learns the playbook and Luck tossed the keys to the O in a check with me type no huddle and sometime hurry up, we will continue to look conservative and predictable.  But it is the beginning of the second season for Luck, and the second game with a whole new playbook. Along with substantial improvement in our run D, these are two things I'm most looking toward seeing improving this year.  My prayer for a miracle is that those optimists hoping the O line wlil magically gel into a solid unit will be correct.

It's really inexcusable to lose at home to Miami.  Tannelhill is only in his 2nd year, cannot compare to Luck, and has only a few compliments.  We were out-coached, out-played, out-hustled (reggie's laziness), and out muscled.  There is no denying any of that at least IMO.  I want to know what Jim Irsay is going to do about it.

He's suiting up as we speak.  He'll give you a call when he figures out what position he's playing.

luck is also in his second year and the only reason he isnt compared to RT is because colt homers and the media are smitten with luck, rgIII wilson weeden. 18 games isnt enough data to make such a claim even as good as luck looks early on. RT was throwing the ball to Hartline and bess last year while luck had all pro Reggie Wayne TY and a nice new compliment of TEs. Way to early to be talkin such smack the verdict on this draft wont be in for 15 years. After 18 reg season games RT and Luck are 1-1 head to head and lucky duck has a bit of a lead statistically. You might just want to relax and let this thing play out

I don't know, I feel like the talent is in place, honestly I think it is a matter of coaches and their playbooks, gelling with the talent. 

With the more aggressive defense, we are going to have more sacks and INTs, but also give up big plays. Pep has brought a more power running game into the offense, but in today's NFL the QB wins the games.

Also, I am pretty sure the refs just decided that they were just going to let everything play out, except for the one play that cost us the TD.

Sometimes you can chalk up a loss to the officials and I think this was one of those kind of games.

I think the important point we are missing is that people make mistakes (owners, coaches, players - everyone). There are three things you can do: 1) know what you're supposed to do, 2) cut down on mistakes, and 3) plan for what you're going to do when people around you make mistakes. Often with 3) is you can't do anything, so don't screw up 1) trying.

Players play for the handful of people nearest them on the field.  They need to know what their immediate job is and how to do it, and the limits of what they can do when the guys next to them make mistakes.  If the plan sucks, then it's not your problem (unless you made it).  If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T DO IT HERE!

Great teams just make very few mistakes, certainly less than the team they're playing

You know? Last year was great.

They far exceeded our (reasonable) expectations going into that season.

However, for the sake of reading many of the threads after a loss this season, I kinda wish they had met reasonable expectations last year.

Ah, who am I kidding.

I'll bite the bullet and read on.

luck is also in his second year and the only reason he isnt compared to RT is because colt homers and the media are smitten with luck, rgIII wilson weeden. 18 games isnt enough data to make such a claim even as good as luck looks early on. RT was throwing the ball to Hartline and bess last year while luck had all pro Reggie Wayne TY and a nice new compliment of TEs. Way to early to be talkin such smack the verdict on this draft wont be in for 15 years. After 18 reg season games RT and Luck are 1-1 head to head and lucky duck has a bit of a lead statistically. You might just want to relax and let this thing play out

Yes, nice NEW compliment of TEs is the keyword.  The people you mentioned being weapons for Luck with the exception of Reggie were rookies last year.  Luck was responsible for much of their success.  He has one of those uncanny abilities to make players around him look good.  That being said however Hilton and Allen are heck of players.  We finally saw Fleener step up last game also showing what he's capable of. 

And the Fins had Bush last year so it wasnt like RT didnt have any weapons. At the WR position however Wayne, TY, Heyward bey and what ever else you may have had was light years ahead of the Fins WR corp. Why do you think we let Bush and our Franchise LT go so we could sign Wallace, Gibson. Luck had a nice rookie season and I give him props, he shows alot of promise, but he didnt show me anything that says he is beyond comparison with RT, Wilson or any other QB. Were  2 games into his 2nd year he could have a sophmore slump and have mediocre #s after year two. RT didnt put up as good of #s as luck last year but his development has been on a steady trend (a short trend) showing improvement. This comparison needs time to approach any kind of significance.