Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald's missed pass block on final play.

ReMeDy

I can't get over how awful of a block that was. It looks like Brown went low, but he made the mistake of diving for the block, so he ended up grabbing nothing but air. The defender simply sidesteps him and finds an easy lane up the middle to pressure Luck. Brown should have stood his ground to at least get a chip block on the defender.

I'm also curious why Pep didn't insert Bradshaw into the play. Bradshaw is renowned for excellent pass blocking (for a HB, anyways). I know they're trying to be careful of Bradshaw's post-injuries, but when everything is on the line on 4th down, team's need to field their best players. Donald is not one of our best players.

It's impossible to say, but having that extra second for Luck could have made a huge difference, and I guarantee Irsay is not happy with this performance after his tirade on Twitter about protecting Luck.

I can't get over how awful of a block that was. It looks like Brown went low, but he made the mistake of diving for the block, so he ended up grabbing nothing but air. The defender simply sidesteps him and finds an easy lane up the middle to pressure Luck. Brown should have stood his ground to at least get a chip block on the defender.

I'm also curious why Pep didn't insert Bradshaw into the play. Bradshaw is renowned for excellent pass blocking (for a HB, anyways). I know they're trying to be careful of Bradshaw's post-injuries, but when everything is on the line on 4th down, team's need to field their best players. Donald is not one of our best players.

It's impossible to say, but having that extra second for Luck could have made a huge difference, and I guarantee Irsay is not happy with this performance after his tirade on Twitter about protecting Luck.

I'm shocked as well.. As Donald simply got dismantled on that last play..

But. I recall Luck beings swarmed by two dolphin players on the last play..

Regardless.. AV missed that FG.. The referees were horrible and our offense and defense just weren't clicking today..

It just wasn't our day and it's going to get worse in SF next week.

Yeah I'm really sick and tired of Donald Brown myself. He's one of the last glaring reminders of a Polian-era roster. One of my biggest peeves as a Colts fan is every year reading the headlines where "Donald Brown has a chance to step up". He's had 5 YEARS of chances. Cut him.

Why did Brown even make the 53 man cut?  His history of missing blocks is well documented, ask Peyton.

Where were all of you to defend me when I said he barely made the team on a thread here last week. I also said he couldn't block his grandmother and people claimed I never watched any games. Where are they all now. Cut this clown and sign a veteran free agent that can at least block.

Edited by Superman

Its well documented about Donald Browns pass protection woes. He`s bad. Its not his strong point. But what I don't get is they refuse to use him out of the backfield on screens where he can use his ability in the open field and slow down the pass rush. I blame the Colts OC for this. Bradshaw didn't exactly light it up running through the tackles either. What about Jerelle Freeman? He`s a beast rushing the QB but his pass coverage today was awful. He has ability in one aspect of his game but awful in another. Use these players abitlies and stay away from weak points   

Well here's the deal folks....When you go low for a block and Wheeler swims around you there's nothing you can do about it. It's not very hard to do as a defender if you see the low cut block coming. It doesn't matter if it was Donald Brown, Ahmad Bradshaw or Ballard on one knee doing that block Wheeler would have swam by it every time. Simply used browns momentum against him. Do any of you really expect brown to straight up block wheeler when the low/cut block had been working for him arguably the entire game up until the point? 

Why did Brown even make the 53 man cut?  His history of missing blocks is well documented, ask Peyton.

Jerk-or-Knee-Jerk.jpg

Going to be using this a lot this evening it seems...

Bad missed block for sure. That's on him but Wheeler wasnt the only player there Luck was going to be in trouble even if Brown makes that block but if Brown makes that block at least Luck has a chance to make a fast throw. You play this many one position games one isn't going to go your way sooner or later.

Don't blame Brown, it's known he isn't the best blocker, so why did the coaches get him in instead of Bradshaw in an obvious pass situation where the Dolphins blitzes with most of their guys? A very stupid move by the coaches if you ask me.

The coaches obviously read the thread here where people were raving about what a good blocker Brown is and anyone who thinks differently is a fool. So, I blame it on the fans here who think Brown is great. I thought he should have been cut after his rookie season because he CANNOT block.

Edited by Superman

Don't blame Brown, it's known he isn't the best blocker, so why did the coaches get him in instead of Bradshaw in an obvious pass situation where the Dolphins blitzes with most of their guys? A very stupid move by the coaches if you ask me. 

I agree 100%, Donald brown should not be in the game at this point, and that is on the coaches. Not saying this is why we lost the game, but the coaching staff has to be aware of the little details, that give us a better chance to win in certain situations. No excuse for brown being in the game on fourth down, when you know you need max protection. This is the type of details that Pep has got to get worked out.

I agree 100%, Donald brown should not be in the game at this point, and that is on the coaches. Not saying this is why we lost the game, but the coaching staff has to be aware of the little details, that give us a better chance to win in certain situations. No excuse for brown being in the game on fourth down, when you know you need max protection. This is the type of details that Pep has got to get worked out.

It's the Coachs fault that Donald Brown completely wiffed his simple assignment? All he had to do was keep his head up and stick it in the LB's chest, like we've all been taught since we are five!  He opted out that and blew up the play.  That's why he won't be a Colt next year, Grigson won't keep guys like that...Sad thing is most will consider that an O-Line failure which is was not.....

It's the Coachs fault that Donald Brown completely wiffed his simple assignment? All he had to do was keep his head up and stick it in the LB's chest, like we've all been taught since we are five!  He opted out that and blew up the play.  That's why he won't be a Colt next year, Grigson won't keep guys like that...Sad thing is most will consider that an O-Line failure which is was not.....

No its not the coaches fault that brown wiffed, and no, that's not what I said. On fourth down and you have a player (Bradshaw) known for his pass protection, and a player like (Brown) known for his lack of pass protection, it is up to the coaches, to put Bradshaw in the game and give the team the best chance to succeed. Read the post before you reply.

No its not the coaches fault that brown wiffed, and no, that's not what I said. On fourth down and you have a player (Bradshaw) known for his pass protection, and a player like (Brown) known for his lack of pass protection, it is up to the coaches, to put Bradshaw in the game and give the team the best chance to succeed. Read the post before you reply.

My point is, any NFL RB can make a simple block, his job, which he is paid significantly to do is to make the block.  I did read your thread carefully, Brown is also decent in the passing game, in the event he could roll into the flat or underneath and make a play is probably why he was in there. However, the blitz came, he stayed in and blew it.  I don't think the Coaches are the one's lost on the little details.

Brown blocked well all day..

On 4th and long, he missed a block......Its not easy to block  in no doubt passing situations..against a good rush line

You may have missed the rest of the game where he blocked well.

there is a 50 percent commitment to Donald Brown.  he hardly ever plays and is expected to come in and block Wheeler?  C'mon, not going to happen.

Totally proved my point on the Donald Brown thread yesterday, were i got blasted for saying Brown was not a good pass blocker. I feel vendicated.

I had the same experience several times. I haven't heard those guys eating any crow over their support of Brown.

Edited by Superman

Anybody who thinks any running back can block anybody in any situation isn't being honest.

Brown had 30 yards on 7 carries...and he blockde well most of the day.

He did not play badly at all...neither did Bradshaw....Its a good tandem

I have never seen Donald Brown block anyone. I have seen lots of sacks and hits on our QBs because of his failure to do so.

Edited by Superman

what simple assignment....4th down obvious pass blocking vs. the blitz

sounds like that sack was the highlight of the day

Brad was brought in for PASS PROTECTION first and foremost.   

And in the biggest play of the second game of the year...   Donald Brown is in?

Can't wait for the spin on this one.

Fair or not that's the play that people will remember the most.  With that said I thought Brown did good the rest of the day.  He was miss used a couple of times but that's not his fault. 

Its really not what most people will remember....unless they missed us losing our starting guard..and an invisible penalty on Reggie Wayne

You waited all day for him to miss a block...? Really.

Did you see him recover Luck's fumble?  I thought he played well

I was blasted for saying pass blocking was not his strong suit. I think Brown is a better running then Ballard. I was told I was wrong, and wasn't. I am hoping Brown pulls it all together. I want the Colts to win. I don't drive 7 hours every homer game to watch them lose.