Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest surprise and biggest disappointment from preseason.

Now that the preseason is over and regular season football is just around the corner, take a look back on the past month's games and give me your biggest surprise and your biggest disappointment. These could be individual players, individual plays, schemes and formations, results, pretty much anything that has the ability to either surprise or disappoint. Here are mine:

Biggest surprise: Caesar Rayford. Like many, I'd never even heard of this guy until a few weeks ago but he really made a name for himself and has probably managed to force his way onto the final roster. He came from nowhere.

Biggest disappointment: Kerwynn Williams. I'm not sure how many people will agree with me here because I've seen a lot of positive talk about him in various other threads, but I've been slightly underwhelmed with Williams. I thought he looked like an exciting prospect and I was eager to see him in action as soon as we'd drafted him but all of the things I had hoped to see were absent. He ran relatively well but there was a distinct lack of the playmaking ability and explosiveness that I had been expecting. I don't know... maybe my expectations were too high.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise.

DHB looked good during actual games. Hopefully he continues that trend.

Disappointment.

Fleener. Because by all accounts he was killing it during training camp, but it didn't translate to any of the preseason games

Surprise: Delano Howell

Disappointment: Rodrick Rumble managed to make me look like a fool

As to Williams, He has struggled some, in the Kick Return game I dont blame him much because our blocking has been none existent (How Dontay Moch got matched up on Griff Whalen on a kick return is just absurd). I think he just has to continue to get carries and get a rhythm going and not come to a complete stop on his jump cuts at times, He needs to be slower (more patient) to the hole and burst through the hole

Now that the preseason is over and regular season football is just around the corner, take a look back on the past month's games and give me your biggest surprise and your biggest disappointment. These could be individual players, individual plays, schemes and formations, results, pretty much anything that has the ability to either surprise or disappoint. Here are mine:

Biggest surprise: Caesar Rayford. Like many, I'd never even heard of this guy until a few weeks ago but he really made a name for himself and has probably managed to force his way onto the final roster. He came from nowhere.

Biggest disappointment: Kerwynn Williams. I'm not sure how many people will agree with me here because I've seen a lot of positive talk about him in various other threads, but I've been slightly underwhelmed with Williams. I thought he looked like an exciting prospect and I was eager to see him in action as soon as we'd drafted him but all of the things I had hoped to see were absent. He ran relatively well but there was a distinct lack of the playmaking ability and explosiveness that I had been expecting. I don't know... maybe my expectations were too high.

Williams wasn't a disappointment to me because I didn't expect anything from him to begin with. I know some made him out to be our Sproles, but I never saw that at all. Some just believed since they were similar in build that he would be a similar player. Overall, I guess my surprise player was also Rayford, although I'm skeptical that he'll ever be anymore that a 3rd string pass rusher once teams study film on him. My biggest disappointment was that many of the backup players didn't do anything to make a name for themselves. They looked utterly disinterested much of the time. 1 other thing, is that for some reason the team still really likes McGlynn and probably has every intention of starting him for the time being. Don't understand it at all, he is absolutely terrible.

Williams wasn't a disappointment to me because I didn't expect anything from him to begin with. I know some made him out to be our Sproles, but I never saw that at all. Some just believed since they were similar in build that he would be a similar player. Overall, I guess my surprise player was also Rayford, although I'm skeptical that he'll ever be anymore that a 3rd string pass rusher once teams study film on him. My biggest disappointment was that many of the backup players didn't do anything to make a name for themselves. They looked utterly disinterested much of the time. 1 other thing, is that for some reason the team still really likes McGlynn and probably has every intention of starting him for the time being. Don't understand it at all, he is absolutely terrible.

Nailed every point!

Nailed every point!

except Williams doesn't have quite the build that Sproles does (I got Williams autographs on a few instances, he is built more along the lines of Donald Brown, maybe a tad thicker in the thighs but certainly no Sproles in build)

except Williams doesn't have quite the build that Sproles does (I got Williams autographs on a few instances, he is built more along the lines of Donald Brown, maybe a tad thicker in the thighs but certainly no Sproles in build)

you got multiple autographs from a seventh round pick in his rookie training camp?

I was basing the comparisons on what others kept saying back when he was drafted. I seen time and time again that he could be our Darren Sproles. Thats the 1st thing fans do, is try to compare a new player to another player that has had success in the league. 

I was basing the comparisons on what others kept saying back when he was drafted. I seen time and time again that he could be our Darren Sproles. Thats the 1st thing fans do, is try to compare a new player to another player that has had success in the league. 

All Williams has to do is come out and be the next Kerwynn Williams starting with learning

Yep. More than once I pointed out that Sproles played major college football. When Williams played against a good team he was underwhelming. That could have been because he was surrounded by small college players.

Overall, he surprised me by making good inside runs, and then not being very elusive in the open field. I think if he makes it he's our 53 man.

When I see Williams, I see your prototypical 3rd string RB and nothing more. Guys like him are literally available all the time.

I see a player with the raw skills to be a change of pace Back but not the reps yet to feel comfortable behind the O Line to unseat Brown, your Back must trust his O Line

Yep. More than once I pointed out that Sproles played major college football. When Williams played against a good team he was underwhelming. That could have been because he was surrounded by small college players.

Overall, he surprised me by making good inside runs, and then not being very elusive in the open field. I think if he makes it he's our 53 man.

He could make it, but IMO it would be at the expense of a better player we could use somewhere else. O-line, D-line, or CB depth is more important IMO that a 4th string RB. Yeah, he can be a return guy but IMO Marshay Green was the best return guy in preseason and he would provide better and more useful depth in the secondary than another RB.

I have preached it repeatedly in the past, but RB's are a dime a dozen. You can have your choice of dozens of them throughout the season if a need arises to sign one because of injury. RB's are easily replaceable, they may not be stars, but any guy you have on your roster as a 3rd stringer or lower, isn't going to be a star either.

He could make it, but IMO it would be at the expense of a better player we could use somewhere else. O-line, D-line, or CB depth is more important IMO that a 4th string RB. Yeah, he can be a return guy but IMO Marshay Green was the best return guy in preseason and he would provide better and more useful depth in the secondary than another RB.

I have preached it repeatedly in the past, but RB's are a dime a dozen. You can have your choice dozens of them throughout the season if a need arises to sign one because of injury. RB's are easily replaceable, they may not be stars, but any guy you have on your roster as a 3rd stringer or lower, isn't going to be a star either.

Until Williams becomes an accomplished blocker he's a liability. The D will know he's either going out for a bubble screen, or if he's left in to block they'll blow over him and crush Luck.

I have preached it repeatedly in the past, but RB's are a dime a dozen. You can have your choice dozens of them throughout the season if a need arises to sign one because of injury. RB's are easily replaceable, they may not be stars, but any guy you have on your roster as a 3rd stringer or lower, isn't going to be a star either.

I like Marshay Green on the final roster too. For the reasons you stated.

Biggest surprise for me was watching Walden & DHB  look like contributors on the field which goes against all the hate spewed by some who now have there mouths about ready for a big helping of humble pie once the season gets under way ..

My Biggest disappointment ?

If I were disappointed it would be in the O-line & D-line for me expectations are high , Starting & stopping the run are what its gonna take .

I disagree. The running back, wide receiver and return man all have breakaway capability to score a TD. That can turn the tide of a game. If you find a running back or WR that can return and play their respective position, then you have something valuable. If you use a 4th string CB to return, unless he is fantastic, you don't get your money's worth.

I hate to be the "I told you so guy" but if anybody thought Kerwynn Williams was nothing but a mediocre talent a high threshold for playmaking you set yourself up for disappointment

I mean the dude didn't even look all the great in his highlights

But as for my surprise and disappointments:

Surprise: Caesar Rayford

Disappointment: As much as I hate to say it because I think the guys gonna have an awesome season, it has to be Coby Fleener

All the hype that engulfed him in TC he could of at least done something to make you say he's turned the corner

I disagree. The running back, wide receiver and return man all have breakaway capability to score a TD. That can turn the tide of a game. If you find a running back or WR that can return and play their respective position, then you have something valuable. If you use a 4th string CB to return, unless he is fantastic, you don't get your money's worth.

Marshay Green is faster, has better cutting ability and better vision in the return game than anything I saw from Williams. JMO of course, but thats the way I seen it. Williams looks very indecisive and and not nearly as fast as advertised by many here. 

Biggest surprise is :  Guard Thornton.  3rd round pick, injured for training camp but when he came in the game he looked more like a veteran shaking off rust than a rookie seeing his first action.  Made some mistakes but showed both power and quick feet.

Of course Rayford gets a high honorable mention.  Strong, quick, good nose for the ball and relentless.  Exactly the traits you want in a role player.

Biggest disappointment:  Franklin.  I really thought he would come in and prove to be that immovable force in the middle needed at the NT spot but most of the time he could be blocked and handled by one guy, which is going to make it tougher on the LBers.

(dis)honorable mention:  Kelvin Shepperd.  I really didn't know much about Sheppard with the Bills but in the preseason he has looked slow, unsure of himself, below adequate in coverage and not very stout at the POA.  Buffalo, by far, got the better of the trade.

Surprise? Vaughn's improved play @ CB.

Disappointment? Probably Fleener after all the hype. I DO expect him to turn it around once the season starts but I have to say he's been the biggest disappointment so far.

Vaughn got torched for a TD vs the Bengals

You pretty much hit what I was thinking also. With Williams and his being in the Sproles category came from the Indy media. If he had that type of talent he would have been drafted much earlier. We can all speculate on what a player is or will become but till real game time is where it's seen. I have no doubt the Colts will be better than last season but only time will tell. It may not show with as many wins but I feel pretty good about our chances to get into the playoffs.

Apparently some serious Colts fans don't even read the stories this website puts out....

Pagano was just raving about Williams after the Cincy game.    I have no idea why anyone would think of him as a disappointment.

And hasn't Franklyn been the starting NT on a 1st string defense that people have noted didn't give up all that many yards or points?   

Hey,  what can I tell you....    we all see the same thing differently....        :dunno:

Apparently some serious Colts fans don't even read the stories this website puts out....

Pagano was just raving about Williams after the Cincy game.    I have no idea why anyone would think of him as a disappointment.

And hasn't Franklyn been the starting NT on a 1st string defense that people have noted didn't give up all that many yards or points?   

Hey,  what can I tell you....    we all see the same thing differently....        :dunno:

Has Pagano ever taken the approach of criticizing a player through the media?

Yeah I could agree with you. NO ONE saw Rayford coming and I too was expecting a explosive Williams.. Which never came.

Two things:

One, Pagano does not voice his feelings about players to the media.  Whenever someone asks him about a specific player he talks about how good they are, so that can be taken with a grain of salt (although when it comes to Williams I don't know what anyone has to complain about, perhaps because he's learning the difference between returns in the NFL vs college)

As far as Franklin... yards and even points in the preseason don't really mean much, you have to look at the individual players and their role.  For a NT his role is to take up two blockers, and then if the O tries to handle him with one blocker his job is to be in the backfield disrupting the play.  Franklin was single blocked everytime I watched him and he was not disruptive in those situations.

Surprise - DHB and Rayford

Disappointment - Fleener and 2nd tier of defensive backs after VD, Toler and Butler for consistency

After a few starting games vs the Raiders, Dolphins and Jaguars, we should find out enough about our run D. Pass D, we won't find that out truly till the Chargers, Broncos, Texans stretch.

I disagree strongly with Williams being the biggest disappointment  I think its Fleener cause he is supposed to be having a big second year but in the two game I saw him in he had 4 dropped passes 4 Rec and a lost fumble.

I agree. I expected so much from him.

Williams was a surprise for me. I thought he would be a KR only but he led the team in rushing yds during the preseason.