Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade next season's draft picks this offseason?

Would you trade away any of next years draft picks to a secure a player that could make an impact on the roster this season? Would you "mortgage our future" in an attempt to secure a playoff berth now?

If not, why not? If so, why so, who would you trade for and what would you trade away?

I'd be willing to trade anything up to and including a second round pick for any of the following: OG, C, ILB, NT/DT provided that they would be certain to start ahead of the players we currently have on the roster. If i could not secure a definite starter, i would not make any trade.

Yeah, normally I'd probably trade a one for a bonafide starter. But not for someone who could beat out our C or G. We may already have players on our roster that can do that.

The way you phrased it, a guy that could beat out any other starter may be worth a one. BTW, I'm assuming our 1 is very late in the draft.

So you're saying that if we draft a CB in the first round next year, he'll start? Over who?

Toler played a lot of slot with the Cards he would just move there and Butler becomes 4th. Also Toler has been injury prone if anything happens to him or Davis we have no one that can play on the outside.

1.Davis

2.Purifoy or Colvin - whichever one is available both have 1st round grades

3.Toler

4.Butler

Toler played a lot of slot with the Cards he would just move there and Butler becomes 4th. Also Toler has been injury prone if anything happens to him or Davis we have no one that can play on the outside.

1.Davis

3.Toler

4.Butler

$5 million a year for a nickle corner?

1.Davis

3.Toler

4.Butler

I think we'd have to have a pretty disappointing season to get either of those guys. But that would be a great D backfield.

$5 million a year for a nickle corner?

He played nickle most of his career with the Cards 5 mil isn't bad. Even though we drafted Werner and it was a great pick it must have been really tempting for Grigson seeing Xavier Rhodes on the board. We passed on a big physical CB because we needed a pass rusher i don't think he'll pass on one next year.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The Davis trade was a rare example that made sense, but normally trading picks is a sign of impatience or desperation (or an abundance of extra picks). This team is JUST getting started. Why the heck would you sacrifice the future just to help year two of a rebuilding program?

I think we'd have to have a pretty disappointing season to get either of those guys. But that would be a great D backfield.

Bradley Roby is the best CB in the draft top 10 pick,Purifoy looks like a top 15 pick but Colvin should be there in the 20's. You can never have enough CB's were in a passing league.

Would you trade away any of next years draft picks to a secure a player that could make an impact on the roster this season? Would you "mortgage our future" in an attempt to secure a playoff berth now?

If not, why not? If so, why so, who would you trade for and what would you trade away?

I'd be willing to trade anything up to and including a second round pick for any of the following: OG, C, ILB, NT/DT provided that they would be certain to start ahead of the players we currently have on the roster. If i could not secure a definite starter, i would not make any trade.

I agree....I wouldn't rule any method of building the roster out....and Grigson doesn't.

But unless I'm mistaken we'll have another $30-40m in cap space for free agents next off-season so if we do pull off a trade involving an early round draft pick then IMO....it HAS to be for a high-quality starter replacing a dog meat starter....and it would need to happen pronto.

Because the problem at this point is timing....how well would even a top-flight player mesh into the team if the move is made very much later?

So IF we could land a young, high quality RG or ILB for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in next year's draft...like right now....I wouldn't be upset if Grigson made that move. Other than ILB and RG, I don't believe we have any other areas that justify that kind of move.

Bradley Roby is the best CB in the draft top 10 pick,Purifoy looks like a top 15 pick but Colvin should be there in the 20's.

WalterFootball have us taking Ekpre-Olomu from Oregon at 25.

Getting back to the OP question, besides C and G, what or who is our weakest player/position? What draft pick would you give for a player who could start right now over him?

TBH, until we see some of these new guys in a real game, I don't know. I think we're pretty solid everywhere.

Depends on the player and his age. I would gladly trade a #1 for Aldon Smith.....not so much for Demarcus Ware.

Yeah I guess like if the Cowboys called and said hey we'll give you Dez Bryant for your first next year I wouldn't say no to that.  With that said I know there is about much chance of that happening as there is of me taking a snap for the Colts in my lifetime.

WalterFootball have us taking Ekpre-Olomu from Oregon at 25.

Getting back to the OP question, besides C and G, what or who is our weakest player/position? What draft pick would you give for a player who could start right now over him?

TBH, until we see some of these new guys in a real game, I don't know. I think we're pretty solid everywhere.

Walterfootball isn't a reliable site he's usually always wrong on his picks, CBS sports are  good. Other then C and RG i still think CB is the weakest position. Davis has potential, Toler and Butler are good players but we don't have any blue chip players at the position i.e Luck,Mathis,Landry,Hilton.

Yeah I guess like if the Cowboys called and said hey we'll give you Dez Bryant for your first next year I wouldn't say no to that. With that said I know there is about much chance of that happening as there is of me taking a snap for the Colts in my lifetime.

I'm glad you picked up the obviousness. Point is there is a lot of in between players who one would have to consider, so I don't think the automatic answer is no.

No,  I wouldn't do the type of deal you're proposing....

And the reason why is that buying a player at that time of year is typically a seller's market.    In other words, you have to overpay to get what you want/need.    That's not a good way of doing business,  especially for a team whose motto is....

Building the Monster.

That's the wrong way to build it.

Keep the picks....   be patient.    

He's not a nickel corner for the Colts.

We're paying $5 Mill for a starting cornerback.

Big difference....

Did you read who I respoded to? They suggested we draft a corner and make Toler a nickle corner. I was voicing that we wouldn't let our $5 million corner be 3rd on the depth chart.

Grigson has said that he wants to keep as many draft picks as he can. And he seems to have an eye for talent and is better at drafting than Polian was in his later years with the Colts.

Id rather keep the picks and either accumulate more by trading down, or take best player available and stay a young hungry team in the process. Next year's draft has a deeper QB class, so we should have talented players drop to us because of it.

Did you read who I respoded to? They suggested we draft a corner and make Toler a nickle corner. I was voicing that we wouldn't let our $5 million corner be 3rd on the depth chart.

Sorry....   No, I didn't catch that.     My bad.

And, more to the point,  I agree with your position...

Sorry for the confusion....

Yeah, normally I'd probably trade a one for a bonafide starter. But not for someone who could beat out our C or G. We may already have players on our roster that can do that.

The way you phrased it, a guy that could beat out any other starter may be worth a one. BTW, I'm assuming our 1 is very late in the draft.

1310513174913.jpg

Guest TeamLoloJones

I wouldn't trade any picks.  There is a ton of talent coming out next year.  We have enough to build on this season. We have to play a season with all the new guys to really see what our holes will be going into next year.