Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB

AllYouNeedIsLuck

I've read from quite a few outlets that he is still having trouble catching the ball. I don't want our #2 WR to have drop issues. He's going to be relied upon a lot in the offense and what if it's 3rd and 15 in the 4th quarter and Luck throws a perfect pass. You need someone who can consistently catch a catchable ball 95 out of 100 times. Like Reggie! 

DHB needs to adapt a different technique imo. He tends to let the ball come to him whereas I think he should go snag the ball more. Like that of Fitz, Calvin, Wayne, Roddy, etc.. I mean most receiver do that but those 4 are kind of known for that. 

I've read from quite a few outlets that he is still having trouble catching the ball. I don't want our #2 WR to have drop issues. He's going to be relied upon a lot in the offense and what if it's 3rd and 15 in the 4th quarter and Luck throws a perfect pass. You need someone who can consistently catch a catchable ball 95 out of 100 times. Like Reggie! 

DHB needs to adapt a different technique imo. He tends to let the ball come to him whereas I think he should go snag the ball more. Like that of Fitz, Calvin, Wayne, Roddy, etc.. I mean most receiver do that but those 4 are kind of known for that. 

He isn't that caliber of reciever! Why do you expect that from him?? If he was he wouldn't have been released and wouldn't have signed to a poultry contract we gave him. He is a solid wr with potential that can stretch the defense...give TY and our TEs room to work underneath and to force defenses to account for him (like Jacoby Jones) so they can't double Reggie. To me he is fine...an upgrade over Avery and that's how we should look at it until we find a future #1 in the draft.

???   dude has had Russell, Campbell., and on and on .... and on and on...   throwing him the ball.

Give dude a chance here ....

He isn't that caliber of reciever! Why do you expect that from him?? If he was he wouldn't have been released and wouldn't have signed to a poultry contract we gave him. He is a solid wr with potential that can stretch the defense...give TY and our TEs room to work underneath and to force defenses to account for him (like Jacoby Jones) so they can't double Reggie. To me he is fine...an upgrade over Avery and that's how we should look at it until we find a future #1 in the draft.

???   dude has had Russell, Campbell., and on and on .... and on and on...   throwing him the ball.

Give dude a chance here ....

We can give him all the chances he wants to take here, and I think reasonable fans will. But he still has no business being compared to top five receivers. I wish he had that kind of ability, but all evidence is to the contrary.

The FO lured him here with chicken!?!? :hide:

LOL...good one...I posted that a little quickly...but really he is on a pretty affordable contract and yes...I expect good things from him...he should be an upgrade from Avery but comparing him to those other guys....wow few will meet those standards....we just need a good target to open up the passing game and I think he will be that.

He wont be #2 if he doesnt shape up no biggy.Hilton will be 2 and 2 te sets,so why worry?

If he has serious problems catching the ball come Sundays, he will lose those snaps to T.Y. (who had bigger issues with drops than DHB last season, but gets a rookie pass). I'm not concerned about the #2 receiver slot because we have 2 viable candidates for the reps... DHB seems to be working hard, hopefully it pays off for him/us.

Everyone went crazy when Irsay tweeted about reeling in a Whopper well  he has issues  apparently the reports about hands of stone may have merit  .

I hope DHB borrows some of Reggies stickem or what ever gloves he can find that will help him squeeze the pig skin we could sure use him all I can think of was Pierre Garcon  his time here especially early on drove me nutz way to many drops .

If I had, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor, Charlie Frye, and Kyle Boller as my QBs, I would be a bad receiver too.

Reggie Wayne would beg to differ. He said it doesn't matter to him who throws the ball. It's up to him to catch it & he'll make any QB look good.

True story, not making this up

Everyone went crazy when Irsay tweeted about reeling in a Whopper well  he has issues  apparently the reports about hands of stone may have merit  .

I hope DHB borrows some of Reggies stickem or what ever gloves he can find that will help him squeeze the pig skin we could sure use him all I can think of was Pierre Garcon  his time here especially early on drove me nutz way to many drops .

Never forget that 500 page topic.

Reggie Wayne would beg to differ. He said it doesn't matter to him who throws the ball. It's up to him to catch it & he'll make any QB look good.

I guess myself and Reg differ than. He has had it pretty easy with Luck and Manning as his pro QBs.

Lets not be too anal. Lets give him some more time. I would not mind seeing him in some pre season action before I bring out the pitch fork......

I seem to remember a few drops in our playoff game last year.  Maybe one or two from some of our sure handed receivers?  It happens.  And just because guys aren't dropping them in practice does not mean they have game hands.

All this being said, I guess DHB is going to be one of our whipping boys this year.  

If I had, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor, Charlie Frye, and Kyle Boller as my QBs, I would be a bad receiver too.

I keep hearing Bey is held back by QB play.  In 2012, he had a QB with stats similar to Luck.  His production was very Avery like (which isn't bad just not great -- Avery had his moments last season).

Luck    339/627 4,374 23/18

Palmer 345/565 4,018  22/14

Avery 60/125 781 3 TD

Bey    41/80 606 5 TD

I sincerely hope to eat some crow on this at the end of the season, but I'm expecting a very Avery like season from DHB.

I seem to remember a few drops in our playoff game last year.  Maybe one or two from some of our sure handed receivers?  It happens.  And just because guys aren't dropping them in practice does not mean they have game hands.

All this being said, I guess DHB is going to be one of our whipping boys this year.  

It's already written in stone. We need one on offense and one on defense every season.

I keep hearing Bey is held back by QB play.  In 2012, he had a QB with stats similar to Luck.  His production was very Avery like (which isn't bad just not great -- Avery had his moments last season).

Luck    339/627 4,374 23/18

Palmer 345/565 4,018  22/14

Avery 60/125 781 3 TD

Bey    41/80 606 5 TD

I sincerely hope to eat some crow on this at the end of the season, but I'm expecting a very Avery like season from DHB.

You have to remember that DBH missed a lot of time with that concussion. He just got blown up on that one. If he played a whole season, he would have been well ahead of Avery

Lucky for him Peyton was his QB lol.

Lucky for him Peyton was his QB lol.

No that was his argument

The dummies on NFL network said Reggie Wayne is a product of Peyton Manning. They claimed Peyton made Reggie Wayne who he is today

So that's when Reggie said he don't care who throw to him, he'll make anyone look good

No that was his argument

The dummies on NFL network said Reggie Wayne is a product of Peyton Manning. They claimed Peyton made Reggie Wayne who he is today

So that's when Reggie said he don't care who throw to him, he'll make anyone look good

In theory that's true, but Reggie isn't fixing the Sanchez's and the Ponders of this world lol.

this came from colts.com...........

DHB wastes no time getting involved: Pep Hamilton talked about the diligent work that Heyward-Bey is putting in trying to sure up his hands.

The jugs machine seems to be DHB’s second home, before and after practice.

The hard work paid off on Wednesday.

On the Colts first 11-on-11 rep of the afternoon, Andrew Luck went deep to DHB and the new receiver hauled in the 50+-yard grab.

DHB said he needs to make plays in order to gain Luck’s trust and the one to start Wednesday’s practice, along with several others throughout the two-hour session added up to a very strong afternoon for the 219-pound receiver.

sounds like he wants to work on  his issue's... 

I got news for you if he could do all the things Reggie can do plus had his speed he wouldn't have been on the free agent market for the Colts to sign or at the very least wouldn't have come for a one year fairly cheap deal.  The best we can hope for is what he is reportedly doing, working on his hands but honestly just about every number two WR has drops issues that's why they are a number two WR and not a number one.  We've been spoiled by having Reggie Wayne be number two to Marvin for so long followed by Garcon (who I know had his own drop issues but is proving he can be a number one WR) being a number two to Reggie for so long that I think we've forgotten what a true number two WR looks like. 

I guess myself and Reg differ than. He has had it pretty easy with Luck and Manning as his pro QBs.

He was the only bright spot on our 2-14 team..with Painter, Collins, and Orlovsky...75 catches..950 yards and 4 TD's with that lot. He proved that year that it doesn't matter who throws the ball..he's gonna get it..

He was the only bright spot on our 2-14 team..with Painter, Collins, and Orlovsky...75 catches..950 yards and 4 TD's with that lot. He proved that year that it doesn't matter who throws the ball..he's gonna get it..

Yep. He also didn't drop a single ball that year.

Look Reggie is a great player that frankly I think a lot of Colts fans have under valued.  It started out he just benefited from being on the other side of Marvin Harrison.  Then it became well anyone can be great if Peyton Manning is their QB (Ignoring the fact there a very long list of WRs that the Colts have tried over the years with Manning that were not even good let alone great seeming to suggest at some point the WR has to have talent on his own.)  Now it's he great because he has Andrew Luck.  When are people going to cave and admit the man is just great on his own?

Did he benefit from playing with guys like Manning and Marvin and will benefit from playing with Luck?  Clearly.  However, each of those players also benefited from playing with him as well.  Not every pass Reggie has caught in his career has been a perfectly thrown pass, several have been just great catches by him or products of him running a great route to get open in the first place.  By the same token there were games were he took some heat off Marvin to help Marvin, the regular season game in New England in 2006 is a great example of this.  Reggie had a huge week the week before and was the focal point of the Pats defense and Marvin went off that night in New England helping us to a very key win that ended up meaning the AFCCG was played in Indianapolis and not New England (the Colts aren't coming back from down 21-3 in the AFCCG in New England) and lead to us winning a Super Bowl. 

So don't under value Reggie trust me this team will miss him when he's gone but sadly with some fans I think that's what it's going to take to fully appreciate him.  Maybe that's part of the reason he's so under valued by some fans, since he established himself with the Colts we've never really seen the Colts without him, lost in all the Manning iron man stuff was the fact Reggie is an iron man in his own right.  He just doesn't miss games and sometimes if you never have to miss what you have you don't fully appreciate it.