Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN post draft power rankings

BronxColtNYC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fact, we beat 2 of the teams listed ahead of us(Hou and GB) and hung in there with NE till the second half debacle. I also feel we should be ahead of the Bengals, but we'll show them that when we face ol Andy this year.

EDIT: We also have to play 6 games with people listed above us(HOU twice, CIn, Sea, SF, and Den). A schedule with 6 games featuring opponents in the top 10(including the top 3 I might add) is far from an easy schedule.

Idk if I'm sold on Seahawks ahead of 49ers and Baltimore lost a lot and is s big ?. Maybe they're getting a champion bump?

I actually think the Ravens are being underestimated. If able to stay healthy, their defense should improved. The only loss I would be concerned about is Boldin and maybe McKinnie.

Well IMO think were top 8 probably win the South,let the so called experts say what they want,this team hands down is much better than last years.Can anyone else say that for sure?D should be much improved,and OL should actually open holes and keep Luck from having to run for his life

I actually think the Ravens are being underestimated. If able to stay healthy, their defense should improved. The only loss I would be concerned about is Boldin and maybe McKinnie.

Seems they just re-signed McKinney as well.

Suprised they didn't get a WR in the draft.

In the NFL.com poll...    where the Colts are 14th....

8 of the teams in front of us are in the NFC....    and only 5 are in the AFC....    that's a big plus....

As has been noted,  we play 6 teams ranked ahead of us...    Houston x2,  SF, Sea, Den,  Cincy.

That's the meat of our schedule.    I see 4-5 losses there...   and I think we'll likely lose one other game that we should win...

I see a 10-11 win season and another run in the playoffs......

Ah, I didn't see that. Still gonna be tough to replace Boldin though.

Ozzie is not done yet. Boldin is the last hole to fill. I love Boldin, but they signed five free agents with what they would have paid him. I'm sure they will pick up another good possession receiver shortly. Re-signing McKinnie is huge, and now we have young guys behind him if we need them. 

I don't see the Ravens repeating or even making the AFC Championship this year. Cause let's be honest..... the ONLY reason they did it last year was because of Ray Lewis announcing his retirement. If he doesn't announce that, I doubt they even beat us or make the playoffs for that matter. Cincy might've taken the division and the Ravens would've went to Houston

Don't see them as a threat this season at all

I don't see the Ravens repeating or even making the AFC Championship this year. Cause let's be honest..... the ONLY reason they did it last year was because of Ray Lewis announcing his retirement. If he doesn't announce that, I doubt they even beat us or make the playoffs for that matter. Cincy might've taken the division and the Ravens would've went to Houston

His retirement had nothing to do with it

Let's be honest, that's bull****.

I think Lewis' announcement added some motivation, but the Ravens played out of their minds in the playoffs. They are going to have a tough time making it back to the Playoffs, but they will still be tough.

My problem with ESPN's rankings is that the last time they ranked teams we were higher than the Texans.. since then we have gotten much better while they basically traded Glover Quin for an over the hill Ed Reed, yet they move up and we move down... :thmdown:

Maybe its right to have Cincy and Houston ahead of us, but the rankings definitely fail to reflect the 40 mil or so that Mr. Irsay has invested in players for the upcoming season... Houston played near the cap in 2012 while we were saddled with 1/3 of our bankroll in dead money... Now that we have upgraded nearly every position group on the team I'd have thought that we might actually gain a spot instead of falling while we watch the Texans move right up... :wall:

My problem with ESPN's rankings is that the last time they ranked teams we were higher than the Texans.. since then we have gotten much better while they basically traded Glover Quin for an over the hill Ed Reed, yet they move up and we move down... :thmdown:

Maybe its right to have Cincy and Houston ahead of us, but the rankings definitely fail to reflect the 40 mil or so that Mr. Irsay has invested in players for the upcoming season... Houston played near the cap in 2012 while we were saddled with 1/3 of our bankroll in dead money... Now that we have upgraded nearly every position group on the team I'd have thought that we might actually gain a spot instead of falling while we watch the Texans move right up... :wall:

The Texans have received favorable draft grades and certainly did more than sign an "over the hill" Ed Reed in free agency. I'm not surprised we moved up, we should theoretically be a better team than last year.

His retirement had nothing to do with it

Yep, true. It was a combination of the O-line being shuffled, Bryant McKinnie playing the best stretch of football at the right time in his life, Jim Caldwell being promoted to OC along with Flacco balling lights out with all that protection along with Boldin being a man amongst grown men.

Heck, some of the best pass rush in the league in the Broncos and 49ers did not get close to Flacco as much at all in the playoffs. Plus, because of the O-line being shuffled, there was not enough tendencies or weaknesses for DCs to study and this year, by losing McKinnie possibly, and Matt Birk, and Boldin, they will be back to the Ravens of old - great defense and game managing offense. It was when the offense got over the hump that they won it all this last decade.

Ravens got hot at the right time, and because of all those changes, they did not show that prowess consistently in the regular season. Both Harbaughs made critical changes late in the season - one with the OC and O-line, the other with the QB and both got to the SB, much like Belichick got Brady in for Bledsoe. It takes guts to make those calls late in the season and that is why those guys are going to end up being great coaches like Belichick.

This post and some others are telling me there are some disgruntled fans who are jealous of the Raven's success. Is it because of the Mayflower syndrome, or are people just hacked off because they won 2 x SB's with average-good QB's, and we only won one with the GOAT?

This post and some others are telling me there are some disgruntled fans who are jealous of the Raven's success. Is it because of the Mayflower syndrome, or are people just hacked off because they won 2 x SB's with average-good QB's, and we only won one with the GOAT?

Where are you getting that from? I think you are grasping for straws. Both franchises have enjoyed a decade full of success but with different models. For the longest time, the Colts were built around a QB while the Ravens were not.

It is not a co-incidence they won their latest SB when their QB played ball in the playoffs. The 2000 SB Ravens won it with a different set of NFL rules, unlike the current ones. The 2012 Ravens finally caught up with the fact that you need your QB to make a lot of plays, and not just manage the game in the current NFL like Dilfer did and that is how they got over the hump and realized the full potential that they originally saw in Flacco when they drafted him.

Some are cognizant of the fact that Ozzie Newsome did re-load their D despite losing players thus stating they should be ranked higher. Some are not, and thus think the Ravens will take a huge step backward; and some like me think they will take a step backwards offensively but not defensively. But even making the playoffs and losing in it would be a step backwards for a SB champ. So I think it is you that is reading way too much between the lines. :)

I think being ranked 10th is fair.  14th is not.  The media isn't allowed to trust us just yet.  They believe in Luck and our coaches, but they don't want to jump on our bandwagon fully until they see a dominant defense that Pagano is supposed to bring here.  So 10 is fine with me right now, but I expect to surpass that at the end of the year.