Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seeing quite a few sites....

needanoline63

I know that is speculated, but I honestly would like to see how it works out.  It seems Grigson ad Pagano have a certain team chemistry they are looking for, and role players to fit into that system.  Walden may do exactly what they are needing him to do, which he may be quite good at.  I remember when Belichick was grabbing guys and plugging them into roles and it was working well.  Now, he didn't give them 4 mill a year.  But after Grigson did what he did last year, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

That say Erik walden was the worse pick up in free agency. I do agree because we need a guy who can play the run AND rush the passer. I hope we draft one

There's not a great deal of players of who can do both. Its what you want ideally but they're hard to find.

I think Walden will do just fine. And I think we'll see a lot of different combinations at LB next season.

Stampede blue, bleacher report, and pro football focus to name a few

You could write for Bleacher Report (seriously, submit your article). You have seen some of the nonsense posted on this site by local people. Now realize that Bleacher Report is generally more than a national bonehead.

As far as stampede blue goes..........Brad Wells makes Bleacher Report look like professional journalism.

Walden may not be a great pickup.........we are only on the hook for 2 years though. 4 million isn't chump change, but it isn't breaking the bank either. While he will blitz on occasion, he is not our rush linebacker.

The way Waldens contract is set up according to Spotrac.com leaves room for us to cut him on the 5th day of the 2014 league year without having to owe him anything regarding the rest of his contract if the coaches and GM feel he wasn't good enough BUT I doubt he gets cut before that 2014 date. It is what it is, Hehas not shown to be worth the 16 million from anything he has done in the past  but we have an out if its needed

That say Erik walden was the worse pick up in free agency. I do agree because we need a guy who can play the run AND rush the passer. I hope we draft one

Play on the field means a lot more than opinion. Last year some ignorant person (okay, it was me) thought Freeman would never make the team. A D3 guy who played in Canada? No way!

stampede blue and bleacher report are far from credible sources

He is right , pretty much all the talking heads rate this signing as a head scratcher. Does it mean that it was a bad signing ? I think not as Waldren does a good job of setting the edge. 

Fair enough. So let's play this game: how often has the media been correct when they crown off season champs? The whole "on paper" caveat has become so common because they are wrong so often.

I have no clue about Walden, and no idea how he'll do for the Colts. What I do know is that Grigson earned my trust last year. So I, for one, will be putting more stock in that than anything ANYONE in the media says about it.

I trust that Grigson and Pagano did their due diligence before signing him. Maybe they overpaid a bit but ESPN's evaluation of Walden is fairly good.

He has good size and athleticism and excellent functional strength to set the edge as a run defender. He understands angles and pad level to leverage blockers and has developed active hands. Walden has range in pursuit inside-out to the ball. He appears to have developed some effective counters as an edge pass-rusher and became more active in coverage in 2012. Walden was able to secure 24 starts the past two seasons. He has made the most of his opportunities and possibly solidified his status in 2013.

The way Waldens contract is set up according to Spotrac.com leaves room for us to cut him on the 5th day of the 2014 league year without having to owe him anything regarding the rest of his contract if the coaches and GM feel he wasn't good enough BUT I doubt he gets cut before that 2014 date. It is what it is, Hehas not shown to be worth the 16 million from anything he has done in the past  but we have an out if its needed

I see u r coming around  a little bit  on the Walden signing.  :)  

I've settled in on the fact that our FO saw pieces of a puzzle that they could piece together and achieve then desired end result, and got them. Even if it wasn't from the discount store.  Now, it is the coaches job to get these guys all on the same page and working harmoniously. Coach and position these guys to succeed. Get the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts.  Grigs, Pagano, and the FA's will all be measured on how well all of these things come to pass.

I hope they all hit a home run, and we have to deal with the long term roster and stability stuff after hoisting the SB trophy.

needanoline63, on 02 Apr 2013 - 04:13, said:

1. Who cares?

2. The sites you reference are not well-known for the football intellect so again I say, "who cares."

3. The Colts see something and that is really all that matters

4. Besides, at this time it is pointless complaint.

Funny, cause I've seen plenty that say the opposite. Not only that but I don't know...our gm and our head coach who is a defensive guru said he was pretty darn good at setting the edge and rushing also. I'm going to go with them...call me crazy

I think walden is one of those guys that does his job and that's it. Many have said he sets the edge against the run very good and if that's all pags want him for then I would not doubt the defensive genius.

Most likely walden will be in on running situation and Hughes will be in on passing situations.

He's not a high profile guy, he's an under the radar / unsung hero.  One of those guys who don't show up in the stat sheet but makes a significant impact on the game.

EDIT:  TBH, I like this signing because it makes sense.  In order to become successful in this league, you have to take care of business within your own division first.  We play in a division with Arian Foster, MJD, and CJ2k.  I think our priority should be stopping the run first. LOL.  Now that I think about it, I'm glad that we got a "run first" OLB/DE.  I think Avril would have been another Freeney and Kruger was out of the question anyway because we weren't going to pay for him what Cleveland did.

Stampede blue, bleacher report, and pro football focus to name a few

You just named all sites that have some of the worst articles in the world... except for maybe Stampede blue... I mean bleacher report ran a video that said we needed an entire new offensive line and that Anthony Castanzo was total crap...

You just named all sites that have some of the worst articles in the world... except for maybe Stampede blue... I mean bleacher report ran a video that said we needed an entire new offensive line and that Anthony Castanzo was total crap...

Castonzo is crap at pass blocking giving up 11 sacks. Thomas,cherilus, and Shipley are our better all around linemen. Shipley is a little raw but he has the most potential of any linemen we had last season, castonzo is a good run blocker but needs to work on his pass blocking ASAP

Funny, cause I've seen plenty that say the opposite. Not only that but I don't know...our gm and our head coach who is a defensive guru said he was pretty darn good at setting the edge and rushing also. I'm going to go with them...call me crazy

he didn't set the edge when he faced the colts last year, got dominated by Dwayne Allen

Those football sources are not that at all.....sources. Unless you consider it a source of "Fan" opinion.

I can state with confidence that had the Patriots signed Eric, the Bleacher report would have had an entirely different slat on this. That is all that has to be said. However, if fans want to be concerned what other people say, they can set there and fret about it.

I like enjoying being a fan of my team. especially when people are talking about them. You know what is really depressing? When you are not relevant and not even taking part in FA, so you scour the news sources (real ones), and no one even mentions you. Back when the only way you got to hear about your team was in the paper after a game on Sunday......... would leave most of todays fans without a life. Like I said in a previous post, some fans seek drama in their life because the want drama in their life.

Some of the FA signings will be good values, some won't. If you are not happy about the percentages, can anyone produce FA stats on a team that  is very active in FA and gets is all right, doesn't overpay?