Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seeing quite a few sites....

needanoline63

All I keep hearing from the Colts camp is that he can set the edge, so if he does that (his job) then he should be fine.

I am surprised I have not seen a thread on New Orleans picking up Victor Butler of the Cowboys.....back with Cousin It Ryan....could actually be a huge pick up for the Saints....

tumblr_mcbsk0O7MD1rqbdjwo1_500.jpg

I can state with confidence that had the Patriots signed Eric, the Bleacher report would have had an entirely different slat on this. That is all that has to be said.

I don't think this would be true at all. 

People are genuinely perplexed by our apparent fascination with him. He didn't even make the final cut after being drafted by Dallas. Kansas City didn't want to keep him, nor did Miami, and Green Bay didn't seem interested in keeping him, either. 

It's not the fact that we signed him that has drawn attention. Bad players get signed by every team. It's the deal we gave him. 

Had we signed him for half of what we did (IE his expected worth) this deal wouldn't be such a head turner and head scratcher. 

Sure, we're all hoping "maybe they see something in him that we don't" and if they do, great.

If not, however, and he turns out to be a 16 million dollar gaffe, it's going to look worse than usual. 

When you sign a good player to a big deal and he doesn't work out, hey, that happens. This guy's stats don't warrant his contract, and if he doesn't work out, we've grossly overpaid for a guy there was never any reason to sign for the amount we did in the first place.

I don't think this would be true at all. 

People are genuinely perplexed by our apparent fascination with him. He didn't even make the final cut after being drafted by Dallas. Kansas City didn't want to keep him, nor did Miami, and Green Bay didn't seem interested in keeping him, either. 

It's not the fact that we signed him that has drawn attention. Bad players get signed by every team. It's the deal we gave him. 

Had we signed him for half of what we did (IE his expected worth) this deal wouldn't be such a head turner and head scratcher. 

Sure, we're all hoping "maybe they see something in him that we don't" and if they do, great.

If not, however, and he turns out to be a 16 million dollar gaffe, it's going to look worse than usual. 

When you sign a good player to a big deal and he doesn't work out, hey, that happens. This guy's stats don't warrant his contract, and if he doesn't work out, we've grossly overpaid for a guy there was never any reason to sign for the amount we did in the first place.

The other thing is that you don't pay a free agent based on how good he is. You pay him based on how much other teams are willing to pay to get him. He may be the best LB ever when he gets to our team but if no other team was looking to sign him then we overpaid by a lot.

Stampede blue, bleacher report, and pro football focus to name a few

OK I feel better now.

Grigson Pagano and even Bill Polian really like the guy. I will take their evaluation over the clowns at Stampede Blue and Bleach Report ( I don't know much about Pro Football Focus) 

Listen, he might turn it out to be great and he might be a bust no one knows yet but, obviously, they guys who know what to look for are seeing something they like. 

As far as weather or not we "overpaid" or not, as was just mentioned, if we had competition then probably not, If we were the only serious team then yes we did.  I think it is evident that we wanted to snag him pretty quickly before other teams got involved.

1) We have an out after this season. If he's terrible, it's only a $4m gaffe. And the dead money would only be $750k.

2) His stats are actually right in line with what the Sam backer usually does in this defense. Compare Walden's numbers to Jarrett Johnson's. And then compare his contract to Jarrett Johnson's, while he was in Baltimore (five years, $21.7m), or even his current contract with the Chargers (four years, $19m). For the role and the production -- not potential production, Walden's actual production from the last two years -- the contract fits. The problem is that people think Walden should have been less expensive because a) they've never heard of him, and b) PFF rated him at the bottom of their free agent "edge defenders" list. Those are two things that have little impact on what his value and role for our team will be.

3) Reportedly, there were two other teams interested in Walden. It's impossible to know what other teams might have been willing to offer.

I say given the job Grigs and staff did for the team last year we give him the benefit of the doubt. I trust his talent as a player scout and believe him got  walden and the others for how they will fit what this team wants to do...And not just for the name. I say give these guys a chance b4 we cast judgement.

I say given the job Grigs and staff did for the team last year we give him the benefit of the doubt. I trust his talent as a player scout and believe him got  walden and the others for how they will fit what this team wants to do...And not just for the name. I say give these guys a chance b4 we cast judgement.

I really like your positive comments, and welcome to the forum.

I think that if we all look back and remember some of the key words Grigs and Pagano said last year about not wanting to put "square pegs in round holes."

Grigson and Pagano...along with respected scout Jimmy Raye now VP watched hours and hours of film on the guys they went after.  It is not like us watching a game or two of Walden...Cherilus...Sidbury.  Grigson pursued THESE men to fit the system.....time to go to the draft and get the monster rolling.....(OL please.....RG please) :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Castonzo is crap at pass blocking giving up 11 sacks. Thomas,cherilus, and Shipley are our better all around linemen. Shipley is a little raw but he has the most potential of any linemen we had last season, castonzo is a good run blocker but needs to work on his pass blocking ASAP

You try having to cover the entire left side and Lucks blind side and see how you do.. He had absolutely no one to rely on but himself last season... So yes he gave up some sacks because he was having to worry about Olsen or Reitz blowing their blocks...

JW was pretty spot on with his view.  Most people are getting us not about signing Walden, but more of what we gave him.  So given his production in the past I can see it as fair criticism.

I definitely have my worries about Walden and I was not to happy about the contract we gave him, but we have an out clause for next season so if he sucks it up this year we can get out of it with very little damage done to the cap.

If he tears it up then it will be a nice contract and if he sucks we can get rid of him and move on.  Hopefully we still draft an OLB though this year.

You try having to cover the entire left side and Lucks blind side and see how you do.. He had absolutely no one to rely on but himself last season... So yes he gave up some sacks because he was having to worry about Olsen or Reitz blowing their blocks...

You bring up a very good point here.  Most Left Tackles are given help when going up against, often,  the other teams top rusher.

Costanzo rarely had that help because the help had to be given to the other blockers.  

If the rest of the line is not crumbling then he will have a lot easier job.

So that's his excuse? I don't buy it really. Ya having crappy guards is PART of the reason but come on 11 sacks?!?! Boy has work to do

So that's his excuse? I don't buy it really. Ya having crappy guards is PART of the reason but come on 11 sacks?!?! Boy has work to do

From what's been said he has been putting in the work. Not sure getting huge is going to help with speed rushers though

He's doing twice the work... not to mention having to be torn between who to block... if the LG screws his assignment up it messes that whole side of the line up.  With Thomas in there next year he should be much improved.

I really like your positive comments, and welcome to the forum.

I think that if we all look back and remember some of the key words Grigs and Pagano said last year about not wanting to put "square pegs in round holes."

Grigson and Pagano...along with respected scout Jimmy Raye now VP watched hours and hours of film on the guys they went after.  It is not like us watching a game or two of Walden...Cherilus...Sidbury.  Grigson pursued THESE men to fit the system.....time to go to the draft and get the monster rolling.....(OL please.....RG please) :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I agree with this.  A person could look at Freeney's history, reputation and overall abilities and would naturally think he would be better than Walden.  But as we know, Freeney didn't play well at all because he was a square peg in a round hole.  Walden is the  perfect fit (based on the quote "he sets the edge in textbook fasion) for Pagano's system and should be an upgrade merely because of the scheme.  Walden might have made a horrible 4-3 DE, but then he wouldn't be doing what he's good at.

I agree with this.  A person could look at Freeney's history, reputation and overall abilities and would naturally think he would be better than Walden.  But as we know, Freeney didn't play well at all because he was a square peg in a round hole.  Walden is the  perfect fit (based on the quote "he sets the edge in textbook fasion) for Pagano's system and should be an upgrade merely because of the scheme.  Walden might have made a horrible 4-3 DE, but then he wouldn't be doing what he's good at.

Very well stated LockeDown!! :thmup:

As fans and analysts we tend to look at the individual talent that we pick up.  Grigson and Pagano are looking at 11 men on both sides of the ball that FIT.  Your point on Walden is spot on!  Pagano sees what the defense was missing...and wanted the puzzle to be solved with precision...not a band aid.  Am I saying Walden will be a world beater?  No....Can he?  Time will tell.

Truth be told, Mathis was not a fit at the Cover LB...I think the Rush will fit him well.....Great post!!!

Also need a link to where it says he gave up 11 sacks because this says otherwise. http://www.nfl.com/player/anthonycastonzo/2495137/situationalstats

Of course it says otherwise.......Thats defensive splits  :hello:  O.o....NFL.com does not record individual O Linemen stats because that would  involve knowing which O Linemen is assigned to what defenisve player every time and thats not possible although many times it is obvious

If those people knew more about player evaluation than Ryan Grigson they would probably have a cushy job as a GM of some elite team.

GM is far from a cushy job (lots of long grueling hours) but I get your point.  lol 

On topic, I think we overpaid for Walden but that tends to happen in free agency.  Colts had the cap room to do it and overall their free agent haul does not look half bad on paper. Colts are not usually a free agency driven, free spending franchise.  This year was an exception rather than the rule.  All of our signees need a chance to show what they can do on the field for us before we cast judgment on how well or poorly Griggs did.  I suspect there will be some hits and misses as is the norm. 

GM is far from a cushy job (lots of long grueling hours) but I get your point.  lol 

On topic, I think we overpaid for Walden but that tends to happen in free agency.  Colts had the cap room to do it and overall their free agent haul does not look half bad on paper. Colts are not usually a free agency driven, free spending franchise.  This year was an exception rather than the rule.  All of our signees need a chance to show what they can do on the field for us before we cast judgment on how well or poorly Griggs did.  I suspect there will be some hits and misses as is the norm. 

If a GM job is "cushy," then the GM is not doing their job.....hours and hours of film on 1 player...let alone the thousands Grigs analyzes.  You wonder how much time is spent with family?????

That say Erik walden was the worse pick up in free agency. I do agree because we need a guy who can play the run AND rush the passer. I hope we draft one

How do they know, how does anyone know.... they haven't played a down for the Colts or in the Colts system.  Tell them to come back next year and we can discuss.

YES!! That's wat I'm sayin I think Castanzo will be better now that he has better linemen around to help him I've said that many times

i believe this defense is a better fit for him and he could make Hughes expendable... Jmo

Hughes is better in the cover role to the left where Mathis was.  He can actually add pressure from that side as Mathis now comes from the right along with Sidbury when he plays.

I look forward to seeing how Pagano/Manusky disguise to get these guys to the QB. Those who say we do not have pass rushers are vastly mistaken.  Freeman can go get them....Conner has NEVER been turned loose....Angerer was everybody's fave until the 3-4.....and what will happen with a Bethea or a Landry blitz....Landry?  Sidbury and Walden will surprise......it is going to be fun ROLLTIDE!!!!!

1) We have an out after this season. If he's terrible, it's only a $4m gaffe. And the dead money would only be $750k.

2) His stats are actually right in line with what the Sam backer usually does in this defense. Compare Walden's numbers to Jarrett Johnson's. And then compare his contract to Jarrett Johnson's, while he was in Baltimore (five years, $21.7m), or even his current contract with the Chargers (four years, $19m). For the role and the production -- not potential production, Walden's actual production from the last two years -- the contract fits. The problem is that people think Walden should have been less expensive because a) they've never heard of him, and b) PFF rated him at the bottom of their free agent "edge defenders" list. Those are two things that have little impact on what his value and role for our team will be.

3) Reportedly, there were two other teams interested in Walden. It's impossible to know what other teams might have been willing to offer.

Point # 3 is so spot on, the market determined Walden's price. I do not think that Grigson just started throwing money at Walden, the market set his price, and if Walden does what Pagano wants in his defense then he is worth the price, and if it is miserable flop then he is cut. If Walden is cut next year the financial commitment is small, the Colt's have money to spend next year, they won't be up against the cap.