Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football Gameplan's Inside the War Room: Indianapolis Colts

EmDiggy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh, I'm not so sure that ILB is a big enough need to justify a 1st round pick. Freeman is a stud already and Conner/Angerer are decent enough to the point that their replacements aren't really a big need at the moment. WR, Guard and OLB are definetely bigger needs.

Other than that, I love the other picks you have.

Can't say I agree with you guys. ILB is a position I would like to upgrade if the right player fell. Freeman is great, Angerer does not seem to fit this system, though he may improve this season and Conner is just okay. If Ogletree fell or T'eo was there, I would be pretty happy if we picked them. Solidifying the position for years to come isn't a bad idea considering how much we have patched up other positions.

Brian made a great point a few weeks back in another thread... we are basing this defense on the Ravens... Ray Lewis was the heart and soul of that defense for years, Ravens value the ILB position highly.

Good afternoon Colts fans! Here's my Inside the War Room preview for you guys

Enjoy!

Em

Can't say I agree with you guys. ILB is a position I would like to upgrade if the right player fell. Freeman is great, Angerer does not seem to fit this system, though he may improve this season and Conner is just okay. If Ogletree fell or T'eo was there, I would be pretty happy if we picked them. Solidifying the position for years to come isn't a bad idea considering how much we have patched up other positions.

Brian made a great point a few weeks back in another thread... we are basing this defense on the Ravens... Ray Lewis was the heart and soul of that defense for years, Ravens value the ILB position highly.

Although I don't think CB is a need, ILB is. And judging from our bringing in Heyward Bay, the organization wants to get better at WR.

I'd have no problem with a LB or Olineman in the 1st.

There are likely a number of NFL teams who would rate all three of the top picks you're giving us as 1st round players.

I think the chances of Patton falling to the bottom of the 3rd round and Wilson dropping to the bottom of the 4th round are less than zero....

If only it were possible...     I'd sign-up for this draft in a heart-beat.

But it's completely unrealistic.....

Why would you want Arthur Brown?    He's one of the smallest inside linebackers in the draft?

And he's the wrong fit for the scheme we run....    I don't understand the interest in him.....

Try watching him play before you say someone isn't a fit. As far as size goes he is almost identical size to Jerrell Freeman so I guess he's too small to huh?

I guess this is the point I remind everyone that Angerer started 3 games last year and spent 8 more as a rotational player, Its much harder to have an impact and get into the flow of a game in a rotation especially when your not 100 percent, Thats not to say our ILB's are domininant because they are far from it but they are both darn good, Would I like to have a bigger harder thumping ILB? Sure, of course but those can be found in the later rounds 

Why would you want Arthur Brown? He's one of the smallest inside linebackers in the draft?

And he's the wrong fit for the scheme we run.... I don't understand the interest in him.....

Actually he is the same size as Patrick Willis. Willis is 6'1 240lbs, Brown is 6'0 241lbs. Willis ran a 4.51 and 22reps. Brown has been clocked at 4.56 and 21 reps. Along with the impressive tape of Brown he fits any scheme. Wouldn't be against this pick at all. Pair him with Freeman with the uncertainty of Angerer's foot that slowed him down very noticeably last year

"Brown answered the most important question early on, proving the health of his shoulder by lifting the bar 21 times during the bench press drill. Later, the 6-0, 241-pound linebacker answered any concerns about his straight-line speed, timing between 4.56-4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to multiple sources in Manhattan. "I honestly don't know what my time was," Brown said. "They didn't tell me that but I felt good and I am confident that the scouts and coaches who were there watching us got a fair evaluation of what I can do."

There were representatives of 24 teams at Kansas State's Pro Day and Brown said among them were linebacker coaches for the Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars and Pittsburgh Steelers. As a further indication of the interest teams have in the back to back All-Big 12 linebacker, he has six private workouts and three visits lined up already. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619684

Can't say I agree with you guys. ILB is a position I would like to upgrade if the right player fell. Freeman is great, Angerer does not seem to fit this system, though he may improve this season and Conner is just okay. If Ogletree fell or T'eo was there, I would be pretty happy if we picked them. Solidifying the position for years to come isn't a bad idea considering how much we have patched up other positions.

I we get a lb I want a outside rusher not a inside guy :/

Try watching him play before you say someone isn't a fit. As far as size goes he is almost identical size to Jerrell Freeman so I guess he's too small to huh?

Brown was listed throughout the season at 228 pounds.   He showed up at the combine at 241.

Here's his bio from NFL.com

I don't think he's not a fit in our system.    Most scouts see him playing the weak side outside LB in a 4-3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/arthur-brown?id=2539245

ESPN.com and Scouts Inc profile Brown as an OLB...

Some write-ups on Brown that I read during the season wondered if he'd have to play safety in the NFL because he's so small.

Brown was listed throughout the season at 228 pounds.   He showed up at the combine at 241.

Here's his bio from NFL.com

I don't think he's not a fit in our system.    Most scouts see him playing the weak side outside LB in a 4-3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/arthur-brown?id=2539245

Some write-ups on Brown that I read during the season wondered if he'd have to play safety in the NFL.

lol yea those write ups that you read are ludicrous. He DEFINITELY will be a LB in the nfl. And you still haven't told me why he doesn't fit our system..bc we all know him being "too small" is not the issue.

Just remember everyone called Ray Lewis too small an look how that turned out...and he played in a 3-4 defense just saying.

lol yea those write ups that you read are ludicrous. He DEFINITELY will be a LB in the nfl. And you still haven't told me why he doesn't fit our system..bc we all know him being "too small" is not the issue.

Just remember everyone called Ray Lewis too small an look how that turned out...and he played in a 3-4 defense just saying.

When I read that scouts are saying that he's a better fit in a 4-3 system as an outside linebacker than he is in a 3-4 as an inside linebacker,   then I take that into account.

I'm not saying he isn't a good football player.   I'm sure he is.

But I don't think he fits into Pagano's system.

Just my view of things....

When I read that scouts are saying that he's a better fit in a 4-3 system as an outside linebacker than he is in a 3-4 as an inside linebacker,   then I take that into account.

I'm not saying he isn't a good football player.   I'm sure he is.

But I don't think he fits into Pagano's system.

Just my view of things....

I'm just curious as to why you feel that way. What about his game do you think won't lead him to succed in Pagano's def? Is it just bc scouts think he will be better suited for a 4-3 rather than 3-4?

i don't want the Colts taking an ILB in the 1st Rd either. The 3rd Rd @ #86 would be a great spot for A.J. Klein, Iowa State!!!

"3/2/13: Klein managed 117 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, one sack, one pass broken up and an interception returned 87 yards for a touchdown in 2012. He had 116 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, six passes broken up, two sacks and an interception in 2011. Klein was better than expected at the Combine."

--Walterfootball

" 2012 ALL-BIG 12 FIRST TEAM (MEDIA): Linebacker: A.J. Klein (Unanimous), Iowa State, 6-2, 248, Sr., Kimberly, Wis., has been selected First Team All-Big 12 Conference (Media selection) for the 2012 college football season. Klein was a unanimous selection on the AP first-team. The senior leads Iowa State with 98 tackles this season. He enters the Dec. 31 Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn. with 342 career tackles and 19 tackles for loss. His four career interception returns for touchdowns equal the NCAA record for linebackers."

-- nfldraftscout

I'm just curious as to why you feel that way. What about his game do you think won't lead him to succed in Pagano's def? Is it just bc scouts think he will be better suited for a 4-3 rather than 3-4?

Yes....   my view is based on seeing numerous stories saying Brown would be best suited as a weak-side outside linebacker in a

4-3 defense...    On some draft pages,  he's still listed at 228,  which is what his school website listed him at at the start of the season...

That's why some scouts were skeptical he'd be a linebacker and wondered if he'd have to play safety.

But, if he's gained enough weight to be at 241,  then he's a linebacker...    the only question is can he fit the scheme.

Look...   on draft night...  if Goodell announces that the Colts have taken Brown with the 24th pick,  I'm not going to be upset and say Grigson is out of his mind...      I'm going to give the Grigson/Pagano duo the benefit of the doubt that they've earned and support the move...

It jus wouldn't be my move.   Also, to be clear,  the same is true for ANY inside linebacker in the first round,  no matter who it is this year...

Actually he is the same size as Patrick Willis. Willis is 6'1 240lbs, Brown is 6'0 241lbs. Willis ran a 4.51 and 22reps. Brown has been clocked at 4.56 and 21 reps. Along with the impressive tape of Brown he fits any scheme. Wouldn't be against this pick at all. Pair him with Freeman with the uncertainty of Angerer's foot that slowed him down very noticeably last year

"Brown answered the most important question early on, proving the health of his shoulder by lifting the bar 21 times during the bench press drill. Later, the 6-0, 241-pound linebacker answered any concerns about his straight-line speed, timing between 4.56-4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to multiple sources in Manhattan. "I honestly don't know what my time was," Brown said. "They didn't tell me that but I felt good and I am confident that the scouts and coaches who were there watching us got a fair evaluation of what I can do."

There were representatives of 24 teams at Kansas State's Pro Day and Brown said among them were linebacker coaches for the Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars and Pittsburgh Steelers. As a further indication of the interest teams have in the back to back All-Big 12 linebacker, he has six private workouts and three visits lined up already. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.comhttp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619684

Willis ran a 4.37.

I'd wait for Rolando McClain to be released by the Raiders. Sure, he's had some issues, but the guy is extremely talented, that big thumper that many are looking for in an ILB, plus with his previous issues he will really have no choice but to play for cheap to prove himself again or risk not playing again.

Not to make excuses for the guy but the Raiders organization seems like one big virus. It seems like a good % of players who play for them, with no prior issues, seem to find a way to get into trouble.

Like Heyward-Bey, for the right money I would have no problems giving McClain a shot here. I feel like this team, much like the Patriots dare I say it, is perfect for guys like this. A family-style atmosphere that actually wins. That can do a lot for a person and we've seen it done before.

Although I don't think CB is a need, ILB is. And judging from our bringing in Heyward Bay, the organization wants to get better at WR.

I'd have no problem with a LB or Olineman in the 1st.

I was never that impressed with Hayward Bay in Oakland. But, I'm fine with Grigs & Pangano kicking the tires & seeing what this kid can do. Scheme & a new change of scenery can work wonders sometimes. Just please don't overpay this WR like the late Al Davis was notoriously known for. That's all I ask. 

I'd wait for Rolando McClain to be released by the Raiders. Sure, he's had some issues, but the guy is extremely talented, that big thumper that many are looking for in an ILB, plus with his previous issues he will really have no choice but to play for cheap to prove himself again or risk not playing again.

Not to make excuses for the guy but the Raiders organization seems like one big virus. It seems like a good % of players who play for them, with no prior issues, seem to find a way to get into trouble.

Like Heyward-Bey, for the right money I would have no problems giving McClain a shot here. I feel like this team, much like the Patriots dare I say it, is perfect for guys like this. A family-style atmosphere that actually wins. That can do a lot for a person and we've seen it done before.

Nice post BleedBlu8792! Your headbanging Metal Avatar is pretty sweet man!  :cool: I was raised on Metal...

This. He was in the wrong scheme in Oakland

There are several things wrong with this prediction.

1. We dont need an ILB in the 1st, unless we somehow fill our WR , OLB and G needs pre-draft. 

2. Although he is one of the biggest names on my draft wishlist, I highly doubt Quinton Patton lasts to the end of the 3rd round. I'd look to see him off the board by the middle of the 2nd.

3. No G until the 6th round. This cant happen. RG cant be left to McGlyn again this year, this needs to be filled earlier, 3rd or 4th round would be my bet .

4. No pass rusher until the 7th round. As much as i like the signing of Erik Walden, he's not a proven pass rusher. We need someone other than Mathis who can provide an outside pass rush. Our corners don't stand a chance if they have to cover receivers for ever and a day because our pass rush isn't hurrying the QB.

There are a few things i liked thoguh:

1. I like Blidhi Wreh-Wilson in the 4th.

2. I like the pick of a late round tall reciever.

I've also seen him compared with Lavonte David, who is under 6'1" and 233 and plays OLB in a 4-3 for Tampa...

To me, that's a more valid comparison....

They made that comparison from his size, the comparison to Navarro Bowman is off his game tape

Agree 100% here a big thumper would be great!! Just NOT T'eo please But there are other needs as well, best player available for a position of need as I see it.

Teo is bad under stress. Let's hope we dont draft him.

Ehh, I'm not so sure that ILB is a big enough need to justify a 1st round pick. Freeman is a stud already and Conner/Angerer are decent enough to the point that their replacements aren't really a big need at the moment. WR, Guard and OLB are definetely bigger needs.

Other than that, I love the other picks you have.

WR, G, OLB and FS.  If Manning and Freeney can go...Bethea's $$$$$ next year will warrant a change.  If OLB in the 4th, I like Cornelius Washington LB. If FS in the 4th, then DJ Swearinger...or Ray Ray Armstrong 6'4" FS in the 6-7rd...