Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per roto Colts moving on from Hey-Bey

Indeee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If BPA is truly what Grigs feels, then WR could be the play as IMO, the BPA at our spot may be a WR.  It also fills a position of need (maybe not the greatest need, but still a need).  Reggie is old, TY has great potential, but is unproven (even if he is good, his size worries me), and Brazil is an unkown.  I do not feel comfortable that we are anywhere near set in that position.  A WR pick would be fine with me.

People entertain me, with how often they fall into the lets call it the Lions syndrome... They always worry about the glory positions like qb wr and rb, How did drafting a wr 3 years in arow work out for the lions? they got 1 decent wideout in the deal.... Look at big picture and not just the glory boys, without protection Luck won't have time to get it to them or try to make crazy plays. How many turn overs did we have this past year cause Luck didn't have protection and he was trying to make plays.

I'm pulling for a trade down to get Quinton Patton in the early 2nd.

Everything i have heard about him says he's a Reggie Wayne clone.

Great hands, excellent route runner.

Should be a nice security blanket for Luck.

Good one. Robert Woods would be great too.

ruksak, on 27 Mar 2013 - 11:55, said:

If we took a pass on him I trust there was a good reason. Guy probably wanted a long contract at this point in his career.

We aren't drafting a WR in the first, so people might wanna just get that idea out of their heads.

Sorry but your last statement is simply not a something you can say with categorical certainty. Grigson is a huge BPA proponent (as evidence, I give you the Colts 2012 2nd & 3rd round picks). On top of that WR is absolutely a position of need. If the BPA on the board at 24 is a WR, I would absolutely say, to quote Polian, that is a case of the need line intersecting with the best player line.

People entertain me, with how often they fall into the lets call it the Lions syndrome... They always worry about the glory positions like qb wr and rb, How did drafting a wr 3 years in arow work out for the lions? they got 1 decent wideout in the deal.... Look at big picture and not just the glory boys, without protection Luck won't have time to get it to them or try to make crazy plays. How many turn overs did we have this past year cause Luck didn't have protection and he was trying to make plays.

And people who don't understand how Grigson drafts are entertaining to me.

lol he has only had 1 draft, you think he will always go offense every year?

Not to speak for jskinnz, but I bet that's NOT what he's talking about.

Grigson didn't draft heavily on offense purposefully. Our lack of options might have influenced him when it came to some tie breakers, but Grigson's explanation for his drafting was that he took who he felt was the highest rated player and the best fit for our team with every pick. He didn't decide to favor the offense, and I don't anticipate he'll favor either side of the ball in any future draft.

Sorry but your last statement is simply not a something you can say with categorical certainty. Grigson is a huge BPA proponent (as evidence, I give you the Colts 2012 2nd & 3rd round picks). On top of that WR is absolutely a position of need. If the BPA on the board at 24 is a WR, I would absolutely say, to quote Polian, that is a case of the need line intersecting with the best player line.

Of course that line was just my opinion. 

I do not see WR coming anywhere close to our needs on O-Line and defense. 

I would be happy to see a monster rookie WR get picked, I wouldn't object. I just have a strong feeling that isn't going to happen.

lol he has only had 1 draft, you think he will always go offense every year?

Oh, you are going to be fun on here.

With many holes filled in free agency, BPA on the board at 24 will be what they do. It could be a lineman and it absolutely could be a "glory guy" as well. They are not going to reach for an lineman at 24 if his rating on their board doesn't merit being picked that high.

Oh, you are going to be fun on here.

With many holes filled in free agency, BPA on the board at 24 will be what they do. It could be a lineman and it absolutely could be a "glory guy" as well. They are not going to reach for an lineman at 24 if his rating on their board doesn't merit being picked that high.

I understand that, But people are under the idea that Wide receiver is our biggest need... What good is it to have a wide out when you don't have time to get to them... I have faith in Grigson after last year, I don't get paid to be a GM and don't act like i do. But i do understand that there are bigger needs then wideout

I understand that, But people are under the idea that Wide receiver is our biggest need... What good is it to have a wide out when you don't have time to get to them... I have faith in Grigson after last year, I don't get paid to be a GM and don't act like i do. But i do understand that there are bigger needs then wideout

Well, I have an idea of what I think the biggest need is but I don't profess to know what Grigson thinks the biggest need may be. But after shoring up the team the way they did a few weeks ago, you can absolutely make a case that a WR corps led by an aging Wayne and an explosive yet small Hilton and unknowns after that is a huge need. I don't see how anyone says otherwise.

If we took a pass on him I trust there was a good reason. Guy probably wanted a long contract at this point in his career. 

We aren't drafting a WR in the first, so people might wanna just get that idea out of their heads. 

Don't be so fast to take WR off the table.  It's makes perfect sense for the Colts to pick up a WR at #24 especially if one of the pass rushers they really like, or both of the top guards, or even all of their top rated CBs are gone by then.  Right now, you can only count on Reggie and TY.  Since most teams seem to covet pass rushers and potential shut down corners over WR, it seems plausible to me that a top 15 WR could slip.

Just because you need something doesn't mean it will be available.  For the sake of this argument I will say we need a  franchise G more than a WR.  What if there is not a G we consider a franchise G available at 24 but there is a WR who we think can be a solid #2 and replace Reggie in a few year??   Or even a leader for our D at MLB.  If we go purely off of need then we will draft a guy like Tony Ugoh and still have a hole to fill the next year. 

We have multiple spots that need upgraded in order to achieve the ultimate goal of winning the super bowl.  As long as we fill a hole with a guy who is gonna last then it doesn't matter what position.  The one thing we can't do is waste a pick on someone who is a need but does not have the talent.

It really bothers me when people say we have to draft a certain position in the 1st.  If you name a certain player then I understand but to simply say the position we will draft in the 1st really grinds my gears.

tried hard?? all they did was bring him in for a visit. they didnt try to " hard " lol.  and i didnt say we wouldnt be looking for another receiver, BUT to waste a first pick on one when defense and offensive line is a much bigger need, would be a dumb move and i dont think grigson/Irsay would do that.

I think they would. All Jim had been talking about on twitter was a WR. Remember that? Whether they'd pick a WR in the first round, who knows. But I wouldn't call it a wasted pick or a dumb move. The talent of the WR's at the bottom of the first round outweighs the talent of the O-Lineman that will be available. 

and if you do it would mean everything we did in FA was worthless

Why?  Do we not need players for rotations?  Injury backups?  Replacements for next year if the FA doesn't pan out?  The ability to cut an expensive player if the replacement is better?

Stop being so dramatic.  "Everything we did in FA" is about 5-6 positions.  One draft pick isn't impacting 6 positions.

Why?  Do we not need players for rotations?  Injury backups?  Replacements for next year if the FA doesn't pan out?  The ability to cut an expensive player if the replacement is better?

Stop being so dramatic.  "Everything we did in FA" is about 5-6 positions.  One draft pick isn't impacting 6 positions.

you want to use a first round pick on a backup

Looks like he'll be making a decision

Edit: This isn't to say the Colts haven't moved on, just interesting additional info

Per @davebirkett of the Detroit Free Press, Carries Heyward-Bey left the Lions without a deal. #Colts

Also per @davebirkett, DHB will make a decision after flying home. Lions and #Colts appear to be lone suitors.

Looks like he'll be making a decision

Edit: This isn't to say the Colts haven't moved on, just interesting additional info

George Bremer@gmbremer2m

Per @davebirkett of the Detroit Free Press, Carries Heyward-Bey left the Lions without a deal. #Colts

George Bremer@gmbremer2m

Also per @davebirkett, DHB will make a decision after flying home. Lions and #Colts appear to be lone suitors.

Lol not suprising. I'm sure if he visits Washington somehow they will figure out how to pay him 30 billion/yr for 35 years w a 80 trillion signing bonus.

OMG....Rotoworld said......must be gospel.

In all seriousness, this could just be leaked info to get him to poo or get off the pot.

...and it doesn't mean we've moved on for sure.....

...and it doesn't mean we're still going to get a FA WR....

...and it doesn't mean we're now going to go WR in the first round.....

...and it doesn't mean we won't

why the need for constant absolutes?

Would MUCH rather have the other Tennessee WR Justin Hunter if Chance Warmack or Cooper dont fall to us.

DaRick Rodgers is just as talented but could probably be had in the 3rd rd.. The only reason he won't be a 1st rder. is because of the 3 failed drug tests.