Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson's genius means we can now TRULY go BPA in the Draft

OldSchoolColt

Grigson did not only fill so many critical holes we had with "affordable" talent that I have a lot of faith in, but with a DHB signing, we can now truly draft the best player available with all our draft picks. This year and next! No having to fill a WR position or OG position or even a OLB position with a certain pick. Most of the contracts were done so that we can get out of them later if we need to. If the best player come draft pick X is a QB, then we have our new backup QB for the next 5 years. Name a position that we couldn't draft and make use of if the draftee to challenge for the starting role or the backup role given he was the best player available. People talk needs all day then want BPA during draft.

Well, we haven't signed DHB yet and now reports are he's going to Detroit so who knows if we get him or not. I still think guard is a serious need. Maybe Grigson still believes in McGlynn or Reitz although I have no idea why, but IMO we need another guard.

Football is an inexact science. So I don't think you can call someone a 'genius'. He's been a great business man though.

If we sign DHB then we are set at WR.

But we still need another guard. Although I like G in the 3rd. I'd prefer to look towards a pass rusher or maybe even ILB if Ogletree is there when we pick, which I doubt.

Heyward-bay is going to detroit tomorrow for a visit, so there is no saying if we sign him or not. i also think we should prob sign James Harrison to a one year deal , keep mathis where he was and move harrison to the opposite side. but still do believe that CB is a much needed position. I just dont see Toler being the answer, and more of just being signed to add depth to the position.

Heyward-bay is going to detroit tomorrow for a visit, so there is no saying if we sign him or not. i also think we should prob sign James Harrison to a one year deal , keep mathis where he was and move harrison to the opposite side. but still do believe that CB is a much needed position. I just dont see Toler being the answer, and more of just being signed to add depth to the position.

No thank you.

No way to Harrison and you don't pay a CB 5 mil a yr. to add depth. He was brought in to be the starter opposite Davis. I honestly don't know why some don't like Toler. He's a very good CB and press coverage is his strength. 

I think of a RG as a nice to have. How well did the Colts do with the Guards we had last year? We were also able to run the ball. Currently on our roster we have as Guards: Anderson, Justin, Griffin, Robert, Ijalana, Ben (a second round pick and coming back), McGlynn, Mike, Reitz, Joe, and an unknown list of UDFA after the draft to battle it out for the starting position. OK, Genius was a reach. :D

Toler will blow up in our faces. he is injury prone.

Legitimate concern, but he wasn't signed for depth, not at $5m/year. He was signed to start.

I agree that corner is still a position of need, but I think it's third or fourth on the list right now, depending on if DHB signs or not. Still, if BPA is definitively a corner at #24, according to Grigson's board, that's what he'll likely do.

Well, we haven't signed DHB yet and now reports are he's going to Detroit so who knows if we get him or not. I still think guard is a serious need. Maybe Grigson still believes in McGlynn or Reitz although I have no idea why, but IMO we need another guard.

I think in my opinion Ijalana should of been a guard and Reitz because of his athleticism should of been a T just my opinion.I also remember rumors Ben was going to be a guard.I wouldnt mind that at all he has very quick feet just his health issues not athletic keeps him off the field.So lets not count Ijalana out yet.

I think in my opinion Ijalana should of been a guard and Reitz because of his athleticism should of been a T just my opinion.I also remember rumors Ben was going to be a guard.I wouldnt mind that at all he has very quick feet just his health issues not athletic keeps him off the field.So lets not count Ijalana out yet.

I'm not counting on Ijalana at all. He'll be lucky to make the roster IMO. 2 torn ACL's in back to back yrs. is not a good sign that he's going to be able to stay healthy. 

I've seen people comparing Grigson's signings to the eagles 'dream team' in terms of players being overpaid but I agree with the sentiments of this thread. He has filled every needs, upgraded the team and can pull the trigger on any of these contracts if they don't work out. Now with the BPA draft strategy we can build around the best players we can get.

I have a feeling this will be important with all those 32nd picks we will have in future.

I agree I would be thrilled if Chance Warmack fell to us and we took him. He would probably be our best OL right away and instantly give us an attitude on the OL in both run blocking and pass blocking.

As for WRs, the top of the draft class is very strong so if we passed on DHB for a guy like Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter I would not be upset with that.

I agree I would be thrilled if Chance Warmack fell to us and we took him. He would probably be our best OL right away and instantly give us an attitude on the OL in both run blocking and pass blocking.

As for WRs, the top of the draft class is very strong so if we passed on DHB for a guy like Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter I would not be upset with that.

I would love to have Warmack, unfortunately I doubt if he makes it to us. I would like to have Cooper though too. 

I would love to have Warmack, unfortunately I doubt if he makes it to us. I would like to have Cooper though too.

My Friend don't worry don't think we are done with OL ,think much to some folks in here shagrin ,it will be addressed in the draft,if we get Bey fine,but we are not hurting for recievers,Fleener is going to be very versatile in the passing game,fully expect him to be lined up in wr set part time,he has the speed to be able to do it,and is deffinately a big target that will cause matchup problems in the WCO.I also expect to add depth in the defensive backfield,dont think this is going to be the draft some want

My Friend don't worry don't think we are done with OL ,think much to some folks in here shagrin ,it will be addressed in the draft,if we get Bey fine,but we are not hurting for recievers,Fleener is going to be very versatile in the passing game,fully expect him to be lined up in wr set part time,he has the speed to be able to do it,and is deffinately a big target that will cause matchup problems in the WCO.I also expect to add depth in the defensive backfield,dont think this is going to be the draft some want

+1

I agree. 

I don't think QB is on Grigson's mind for the next 10-14 years. Neither is Punter

Now every other position, sure they're thinking about it to an extent. But imo with Grigson being an olineman himself, I think that's his priority heading into the draft

missed 5 games last year with foot and hamstring injuries, and the whole 2011 season with his ACL tear. considering Cason only got 1.5 mil for 1 yr and is said to be just as good as toler, id say toler also got over paid.

Hamstring problems are common when coming back from knee injuries.

I think it is too, but it seems the office does not, and I think I might have an idea why:

Ijalana.

I think we draft a guard, but we're returning a guy to start.

Also, there's an outside chance we could be kicking Satele or Shipley out to guard, which I would be fine with trying.

On a side note: with DHB leaving town with no deal heading to Detroit, I see no way he doesn't sign with the Lions. They will offer him more than we did IMO.

I think it is too, but it seems the office does not, and I think I might have an idea why:

Ijalana.

I think we draft a guard, but we're returning a guy to start.

Also, there's an outside chance we could be kicking Satele or Shipley out to guard, which I would be fine with trying.

On a side note: with DHB leaving town with no deal heading to Detroit, I see no way he doesn't sign with the Lions. They will offer him more than we did IMO.

Ijalana is deffinately a wild card,but don't think they are gonna bet the bank on it,they are not done with the OL ,will guarantee it

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/GRIGSON-HOLDS-CONFERENCE-CALL-WITH-SEASON-TICKET-HOLDERS/4bdd7a4a-fd25-48bc-a70d-c544db55bf38

For me it’s never about winning free agency. I felt like we really scoured the NFL, just like we scour the college landscape, and we went after guys that we felt could start for us, that were still young, still had upside and I think those are wise investments for us.