Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed? Forgive if this has already been covered....

ColtsHappy

Hey

I am hearing in the news that Ed Reed and the Texans have not agreed to agree, and that he is interested in the 49ers and the Colts. The Colts interest of course - would be due to his past relationship with Chuck - both in Baltimore and Miami. I am also hearing that he has a visit scheduled with the Colts.

I have mixed emotions - incredible player but at 34 and at his asking price? Not sure about this whole idea.

Knowing who we have now and how our cap is dwindling - what do you Colts fans think?

Please forgive if this has already been covered - I didn't see anything here recently - if this is redundant - please merge or delete as necessary.

Comment as you see fit.

ColtsHappy

:sigh: Why did they schedule a visit with Reed? I'm hoping the visit is just a reunion for him, Redding, & Pagano. Really don't want to add another Safety. If we add Reed, Bethea is gonna either get benched, traded, or released smh

Don't forget we also have Larry Asante on the roster 6'0 210 !!

He also said at the conference when he was asked about drafting the best player or drafting for need, that anytime you can bring in a talented player it helps everyone on the team play at a higher level. ( or something like that)  So,I wouldn't think they would say no if the price was right. nothing wrong with fresh players in a game.I don't think Bethea  is going anywhere even if they do.

Well he would add veteran leadership, and is still a good player, we really don't need him now. In my opinion, we're set at S and don't need to add an older player to the mix.

Agree 100% no need to throw that much money at him.I would rather us draft a safety this year or next even and have youth,than pay him the dollars.

While I will go on record as saying that I don't think this will happen as Reed will probably want more money than we are willing to spend for what amounts to a luxury not a need...consider for a moment the flexibility it would afford.  We all know that although Landry is a thumper he leaves a little to be desired in coverage.  Imagine having Landry at SS in obvious running situations and on passing downs inserting Reed in at free safety and sliding Bethea down to SS.  This would also allow the Colts to keep both Landry and Reed fresh minimizing the risks of injury to both while allowing our safeties to line up to their strengths on any given down.  Something to consider if they do it.  But I doubt that they are seriously considering Reed.   I think Zibby being released is more of an indication that the Colts take a young safety in the draft than a precursor to a Ed Reed signing.

Like pagano was going to tip off that they were going to release Zib before they could tell him themselves...very different situation

I understand that, but what we're saying is they are doing things after stating we do or don't need to. We don't know if Zibi was asked to be released or not, so we have to assume they're still deciding what positions we do or don't need help on. Either way until they state we're fully finished with free agents we have to take it as they are still looking for upgrades.

For Bethea & Zibs $$$ ?
of course NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why would you want Landry, Vontae, Toler, Butler, Lefeged, Gordy, Asante, others, being mentored by,
 watching film with, going over game plans, practicing with, talking football with, being guided on the field in games with,
 from May till January,

some old guy who wants (I AM 100% CERTAIN) too much $$$$.

Let the *%! prattle.
Couldn`t think 2 seconds about or comprehend the long term VALUE!

Look...I know that Bethea is very popular on here but he is being paid big money...over 5.5 million against the cap. My question is since he is making elite safety money is he an elite FS? I look at my FS and think of a ball hawk and a guy that forces turnovers...and Bethea is definately neither of those. He doesn't break up passes, he doesn't force turnovers, and I can't remember when his last interception was....it definately wasn't this year. Bethea makes a lot of tackles...and that is good..but I've also seen him take some pretty bad angles too. In my opinion..he isn't a pro bowl caliber safety. I know I'm not popular but he can be upgraded. With a thumper back there it would be nice to see someone force some turnovers. I don't think Ed Reed will be the route we go because we haven't been going after veterens over 30 but he would easily be an upgrade if the price came out right. I will wait for the hate responses.

Signing Reed is a bad idea until October when Landry and Bethea are on IR and We have Lefeged and Larry Asante are getting burned. We have really good starters, but anyone who has followed the Colts for more than a week know we have more injuries than players in a given year.

Look...I know that Bethea is very popular on here but he is being paid big money...over 5.5 million against the cap. My question is since he is making elite safety money is he an elite FS? I look at my FS and think of a ball hawk and a guy that forces turnovers...and Bethea is definately neither of those. He doesn't break up passes, he doesn't force turnovers, and I can't remember when his last interception was....it definately wasn't this year. Bethea makes a lot of tackles...and that is good..but I've also seen him take some pretty bad angles too. In my opinion..he isn't a pro bowl caliber safety. I know I'm not popular but he can be upgraded. With a thumper back there it would be nice to see someone force some turnovers. I don't think Ed Reed will be the route we go because we haven't been going after veterens over 30 but he would easily be an upgrade if the price came out right. I will wait for the hate responses.

Bethea has 12 INT's in his career. He is a solid player, and typically has around 100 tackles a year. Only once in seven years has he had under 90 tackles. I'm not giving a hate response, but you are severely undervaluing Bethea.

I understand that, but what we're saying is they are doing things after stating we do or don't need to. We don't know if Zibi was asked to be released or not, so we have to assume they're still deciding what positions we do or don't need help on. Either way until they state we're fully finished with free agents we have to take it as they are still looking for upgrades.

Fine. Pagano shoots it down + it makes zero sense = Shefter is wrong again

Fine. Pagano shoots it down + it makes zero sense = Shefter is wrong again

Look, I'm just saying things as how they've happened so far. IF you've got so much inside knowledge and know the base operations of this team, then I fully invite you to enlighten everyone on our next step and what we're going to do in the draft.

Look, I'm just saying things as how they've happened so far. IF you've got so much inside knowledge and know the base operations of this team, then I fully invite you to enlighten everyone on our next step and what we're going to do in the draft.

Yes, because I have been claiming inside info. No need to go from disagreement to smart a** stupidity.

And I can't remember pagano stating one thing and doing the opposite. Grigson maybe, but I don't recall pagano doing it.

Yes, because I have been claiming inside info. No need to go from disagreement to smart a** stupidity.

And I can't remember pagano stating one thing and doing the opposite. Grigson maybe, but I don't recall pagano doing it.

Then stop acting like anything anyone suggests that you don't agree with is wrong. Also, if you want to call it smart a** stupidity, that's okay. I just find your attitude funny is all. This is a forum to state opinions on, not to be told I'm stupid.

And that you're correct on. I meant Grigson, not Pagano. You got me there.

Gosh.. why not get Ed Reed and Pollard while we're at it if everyone is getting hurt?   I thought Reed would at least be considered, but frankly my already high respect level is even higher for Pagano and Grigson by NOT going with EMOTION and making good decisions.  If we had room still, or if we were drafting some young guys Ed Reed would make tons of sense.  Bethea and Landry don't need mentoring.  I'd love some int's, but stopping the run will be really nice this year as well. 

Bethea has 12 INT's in his career. He is a solid player, and typically has around 100 tackles a year. Only once in seven years has he had under 90 tackles. I'm not giving a hate response, but you are severely undervaluing Bethea.

I think Bethea is a very solid FS....but is he worthy of 5.75 mill we will be paying him this year? I'm just playing devil's advocate. None of those ints came last year in our new defensive scheme. He makes a lot of tackles because our secondary gives up a lot of catches. He is solid player...but he isn't a difference maker. He isn't going to put fear into a qb throwing deep or up the seem. Like I said...I'm fine with him....there aren't many I would take over him but he is often rated outside the top 10 FS in football. He isn't elite. I wouldn't be up for necessarily releasing him but if there is a market for him...I would consider it. He will be a FA after next year. I don't see us bringing him back. I would rather draft a FS and let them play behind Reed if the price is right. The price probably won't be right...I'm sure Reed will get 5 mill himself in FA.

I look at it this way. If bethea is up for a contract next year do we sign him to a long term deal? Or do we get something for him and get a rookie in here to start grooming. People need to get their personal feelings out of the way

I look at it this way. If bethea is up for a contract next year do we sign him to a long term deal? Or do we get something for him and get a rookie in here to start grooming. People need to get their personal feelings out of the way

Already been said many times i agree draft a safety this year or next and replace Bethea then before we sign him to any other decently big contract.